Fire Department

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

In my opinion, I have no sympathy at all for anyone at the HFD being terminated because this entity has bled the town dry of all the residents money for years and years even though the Mayor and Council knew that it was not necessary. It only existed because of the outrageous salaries and rampant nepotism and patronage to those who received them. I cannot understand why any fireman are being kept at all because I think they mentioned previously that certain staffing must be met for each truck going out. There is no way with the current manpwer that these requirement can be met. 2 fireman per shift is useless so just fold it up for good. TK and other "special" people was the only reason it was there anyway and now they left. Game over.

The teachers got what they deserved also through all the tears and poor me attitude. Many people, actually most, are making do with less money. Your game of using the kids as pawns in your negotions is over. The behavior the teachers in Trenton was an humilating tantrum and behavior clearly illustrated that. If that disorder was in a school by a student, they would be expelled. Too bad.

Guest Fire Service Expert

In my opinion, I have no sympathy at all for anyone at the HFD being terminated because this entity has bled the town dry of all the residents money for years and years even though the Mayor and Council knew that it was not necessary. It only existed because of the outrageous salaries and rampant nepotism and patronage to those who received them. I cannot understand why any fireman are being kept at all because I think they mentioned previously that certain staffing must be met for each truck going out. There is no way with the current manpwer that these requirement can be met. 2 fireman per shift is useless so just fold it up for good. TK and other "special" people was the only reason it was there anyway and now they left. Game over.

The teachers got what they deserved also through all the tears and poor me attitude. Many people, actually most, are making do with less money. Your game of using the kids as pawns in your negotions is over. The behavior the teachers in Trenton was an humilating tantrum and behavior clearly illustrated that. If that disorder was in a school by a student, they would be expelled. Too bad.

As a retired career chief I would advise the mayor and council against dropping the manpower below 30. At 30, there will be four 6-man tours, that will get one engine and the truck to the scene. 6 men can position the truck and advance one line into the building, maintaining the 2 in & 2 out rule. That's the limit of what 6 ff's can do. If search & rescue, roof ventilation or exposure protection is needed, then mutual aid is immediately needed.

30 is an absolute minimum considering the closely built wood construction in Harrison, anything less would be unacceptable in my opinion.

Guest guest

Are you a complete idiot? It amazes me that you think that the Town can survive without a Police or Fire Dept. Public safety is of the utmost imporance. Now that you don't have them, your insurance will go up. Your taxes will go up. Your property values will go down and you will be stuck in a bankrupt town with a school system that S**ks. You won't have any services, i.e, garbage, street cleaning, snow removal, recreation facilities, etc. Good God People, how are you going to survive? You won't be able to sell your houses, because who the hell will want to buy them?

You had your chance to save Harrison, but you had no balls to hold the powers that be accountable.

Feel so sorry for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I read your opinion and can only say...how really sad it was. I hope it's not your or a neighbors home that is burning when this understaffed fire department arrives. Yes, I'm a former firefighter in Harrison, and no matter what you think or say, fighting a fire in Harrison is dangerous not only for the firefighters, but also for the citizens. If the fire isn't controled quickly, more than one building will burn. Remember most buildings are only 3 feet apart, or attached ... fire showing out a window in an alley is licking the building next door. It's only due to the experience and dedication of the firefighters that there are not more serious fires and loss of life. Now I know you or someone will respond with some comment about how lazy and useless the Harrison firefighters are, and if that's your opinion, your entitled to it, and there is nothing I can say to change that.

Everyone's answer is to go to a Volunteer Fire Department, but I've seen how that works in Harrison. The first year there will be a flood of applicants, until they see what it takes to become a lever 1 firefighter in New Jersey. If you think that you just show up and someone will give you a helmet and boots and away you go, you need to find out what the requirements are. After about 3 years no one will be looking to become a volunteer, or showing up in the middle of the night when it's cold and snowy....and that is when homes will burn and people will die.

When the mayor and council decided to decimate the fire department, and all of you were happy, no one told you that your insurance rates would rise. The ISO ... ( Insurance Service Office ) will surely change the insurance rating for Harrison now that your fire department is 1/3 of what it was a year ago. That change will cause insurance rates to rise. There are also questions of the legality of operating a Fire Department in the manner that the mayor and council have decided it will run. Politicians don't know everything...they just make you think they do.to

So I'll leave you with this... Look around you.... The face of the town has changed in the last 15 years, the buildings are older, more weathered, and not maintained as they once were. Crime is up all over, drug use is rampant and you advocated decimatng the one lifeline you had that always responds to your call for help !...Sleep well !

Guest Guest

I am sleeping great because a guy I know who worked at the fire department said to me that when he went to the frat house on day 1 he was handed a pillow and blanket not boots and a helmet. What could the helmet be for? Maybe the helmet is for when the drunken firemen can put them on before they get pimp slapped in front of their friends by a 99 pound weakling for the third or fourth time. It might cut down on the sick time. As to the licking, those cold , snowy nights come to mind thinking about the firehouse...........Happy trails to you, until we meet again.....

Guest Guest

Bottom line. The Cops are badly needed, the Fire Department MIGHT be usefull once or twice a year. Thats it. Dollarhans retirement from a job he never worked a day in his life for in 33 years is a horrendous crime, in my opinion, perpetrated against the residents by the politicians. He has not physically worked one 1 day in 33 years in Harrison for at minimum $3 to $4 million dollars. He is an expert at how to play politics in Hudson County, but he is as intellectually the equivilent of a another Fireman. It doesn't get lower than that. Hey Tommy, or T.K. to your alleged few friends, when Frank Rodgers *** that ****** with *** *** and a ******** was ******* ** when you were a *** ** ***** ago, that sealed the deal for your whole family with the FD. Right place at the right time. Whatta *********!@!@!

Edited by KOTW
Content.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

In my opinion, you lost all credability in tour first paragraph when you said that being a clubhouse (ff) in Harrison, NJ was dangerous. Making large pretzels in the mall, getting welfare at PVSC, and having a hot dog wagon are among other professions that are more dangerous than the alledged Harrison fireman. Did you even paticipate in putting out 3 fires in 30 years at the HFD Clubhouse? I doubt it. You had a paid 30 year vacation while robbing the residents of their money by theft of service due to lack of training, inactivity, and systematic overtime abuse. The HFD should FOLD IMMEDIATELY as it is not needed. 70% of all fireman in the U.S. are volunteer and almost any one of them has more fires than Harrison. You should shut up you coward and feel lucky that your hagged out old mother got you the job. Just SHUT UP.

• 2 weeks later...

My mother didn't get me my job I took a test that was available to everyone. I served my country and went to war. When I came home I wanted to serve my community. I come to work every day and do my job. Who are you to comment on peoples professions. Why don't you come to the firehouse and learn what the job is really like meet the guys and tell us to our face what you think.

Guest Harrison Senior

My mother didn't get me my job I took a test that was available to everyone. I served my country and went to war. When I came home I wanted to serve my community. I come to work every day and do my job. Who are you to comment on peoples professions. Why don't you come to the firehouse and learn what the job is really like meet the guys and tell us to our face what you think.

Why do you continue to respond to Barney? You're giving him the attention this loser craves. Ignore him completely and watch how soon he disappears.

he wont come visit you. hes had that offer in kearny for months. hed rather to continue being a coward and write badly about people to make himself feel more like a man. the dude is an absolute joke.

Although I agree that the Harrison fire department is full of patronage fireman, I believe that a professional fire department is necessary in a urban town or city.

Star Ledger Story on Ironbound Fire

Of interest is no mention of Harrison coming over to help or provide back up to Newark. Newark helped Harrison put out the Harrison Avenue file years ago which was out of control as well.

Huge loss for Ferry Street and its residents.

There goes a person who also knows that the HFD is nothing more than a patronage and nepotism mill for certain family and friends in town to get rich off the residents backs. There is no mention of Harrison having any involvement because they didn't and I thought the HFD couldn't handle Harrison with the current manpower nevermind a fire in Newark. Harrison needs more cops and not firemen.

• 2 weeks later...

I read your opinion and can only say...how really sad it was. I hope it's not your or a neighbors home that is burning when this understaffed fire department arrives. Yes, I'm a former firefighter in Harrison, and no matter what you think or say, fighting a fire in Harrison is dangerous not only for the firefighters, but also for the citizens. If the fire isn't controled quickly, more than one building will burn. Remember most buildings are only 3 feet apart, or attached ... fire showing out a window in an alley is licking the building next door. It's only due to the experience and dedication of the firefighters that there are not more serious fires and loss of life. Now I know you or someone will respond with some comment about how lazy and useless the Harrison firefighters are, and if that's your opinion, your entitled to it, and there is nothing I can say to change that.

Everyone's answer is to go to a Volunteer Fire Department, but I've seen how that works in Harrison. The first year there will be a flood of applicants, until they see what it takes to become a lever 1 firefighter in New Jersey. If you think that you just show up and someone will give you a helmet and boots and away you go, you need to find out what the requirements are. After about 3 years no one will be looking to become a volunteer, or showing up in the middle of the night when it's cold and snowy....and that is when homes will burn and people will die.

When the mayor and council decided to decimate the fire department, and all of you were happy, no one told you that your insurance rates would rise. The ISO ... ( Insurance Service Office ) will surely change the insurance rating for Harrison now that your fire department is 1/3 of what it was a year ago. That change will cause insurance rates to rise. There are also questions of the legality of operating a Fire Department in the manner that the mayor and council have decided it will run. Politicians don't know everything...they just make you think they do.to

So I'll leave you with this... Look around you.... The face of the town has changed in the last 15 years, the buildings are older, more weathered, and not maintained as they once were. Crime is up all over, drug use is rampant and you advocated decimatng the one lifeline you had that always responds to your call for help !...Sleep well !

Do we get crime increases on our insurance too because the PD is so small??

If the fire isn't controled quickly, more than one building will burn.

The fire will be controlled as fast as mutual aid can get there---as always!!