Kearny Recreation Summer Program

Guest sunny

Guest sunny

I just read an article yesterday that the members of CS-11 (town workers) have their noses out of joint, because they have to have furlough day every other week and the town has hired seasonal people (young adults) to work the playgrounds. My opinion is that if they want to complain, let them work with the kids in the playgrounds, at least they will get paid $8.08 an hour. Let's see how they like that! That program has been in affect since 1959 that I know of so why stop it now, when it is needed the most.

Guest Guest

I think it's more of exasperation than anything else.. The Town (Mayor, Council, Administrator) is crying poverty every time you turn around..yet they find money for the Summer Program, or for a New Tree in front of Town Hall (Little bird told me that was at LEAST $10K). Furloghs are great..until you get a situation like the snowstorms, where they CANT call in Furloughed employees..or a few days back when they had a tree branch down. Since they couldnt call in a Town Worker to fix the problem the Administrator had to hire an OUTSIDE CONTRACTOR to do what would have cost the town nothing extra on a normal day.

Guest learn you facts

What do town workers make on sundays, time and a half or double time and a half?

town workers that work on the weekend are getting their normal pay..Its part of there work week,they have time off during the week..

Guest learn you facts

What do town workers make on sundays, time and a half or double time and a half?

town workers that work on the weekend are getting their normal pay..Its part of there work week,they have time off during the week..

Guest Guest

I think it's more of exasperation than anything else.. The Town (Mayor, Council, Administrator) is crying poverty every time you turn around..yet they find money for the Summer Program, or for a New Tree in front of Town Hall (Little bird told me that was at LEAST $10K). Furloghs are great..until you get a situation like the snowstorms, where they CANT call in Furloughed employees..or a few days back when they had a tree branch down. Since they couldnt call in a Town Worker to fix the problem the Administrator had to hire an OUTSIDE CONTRACTOR to do what would have cost the town nothing extra on a normal day.

Why don`t they give employees different furlough days off. This way they have a crew available in case of emergency`s.

Guest Guest

Thank goodness! It's probably the first time I ever heard a Union worker not get something extra for working on the weekend. I sure hope you have "you facts straight".

Guest sunny

First of all the Rec Dept's summer program is Mon-Fri. If you take furloughed workers and place them in the parks on Friday's then that would give them an extra paycheck, and still let the young adults work Mon -Thurs. I know for a fact that before furlough days the town DPW worked nonstop in snow-wind & rain storms, tree's down all over town, and I know that personally. So to keep the peace, let these worker's get that small stipen for working the rec program

Guest Guest

Thank goodness! It's probably the first time I ever heard a Union worker not get something extra for working on the weekend. I sure hope you have "you facts straight".

Im sure his facts are better than yours.. police and Fire are ALWAYS working the weekends..on straight time. As to why they can't stagger the Furloghs, I believe it's written into the law that the Entire Department has to be on furlough..which is why Police and Fire are prohibited from being furloughed. Sad part is on those Furlogh days they are technically NOT Employees at all, which is why they can't be called in during an emergency. the way the law was fritten by PERC for Furlough's is very convoluted.

Guest Guest

Im sure his facts are better than yours.. police and Fire are ALWAYS working the weekends..on straight time. As to why they can't stagger the Furloghs, I believe it's written into the law that the Entire Department has to be on furlough..which is why Police and Fire are prohibited from being furloughed. Sad part is on those Furlogh days they are technically NOT Employees at all, which is why they can't be called in during an emergency. the way the law was fritten by PERC for Furlough's is very convoluted.

I was under the impression that we were talking about the Dept of Public Works employees and not the firemen and police depts.

I have never seen a street cleaner work on a sunday in 50 years, until just recently.