wild one

Guest wild one

Guest Guest

How could anyone think laying off someone, regardless of their position, is a good idea? Sometimes we have to sacrifice and do things that are out of our control, in order to compensate for other areas. I am sure the Town exhausted any and all means before committing to laying off police and fire. The budget must be balanced, and in order to compensate for a decrease in state funding, steep measures must be taken. Everyone complains about tax increases, tax increases, tax increases. First off, the cost of living is ALWAYS going up. Milk, eggs, gas, etc all cost more year over year. The same is true with taxes. If the town did not present this layoff plan, you could bet that the taxes would be going up, and drastically for that matter, not the 2% cap like across the state. The State of NJ has major financial woes, and it starts at the top and trickles down with decreased state aid and funding.

Again, I am sure they exhausted any and all means of balancing the budget to help with a reasonable tax increase. I am open to listening to different views, opinions & suggestions and am not biased in my opinion or base it on who does who a favor or which political party makes the suggestion. What I can't stand is when people complain and badger the people making the decisions, for making their decisions, but do NOT make suggestions in place of their objections. We are all faced with tough economic times, but i feel that the town has taken steps in the right direction. The development for one thing, will be a major contributor in the upcoming months! This WILL draw revenue to the town, local businesses, etc and will help swing things in the right direction so that 2, 3 5 years from now, the Town could possibly beaf the PD back up again. Just as with any other political engine, the decisions you make today, impact us tomorrow. I enjoy this town, and look to spend many many years here. I want to see this town grow and flourish, so that I can reap what it has to offer, and so that my future family will be able to enjoy it as well.

Like I first mentioned, we can't always have what we want, and sometimes we have to sacrifice for the good of others. If the town were to band together, and focus on making suggestions on how to save money and grow with what resources we have available, then it would have a huger impact than always fighting/arguing against the suggestions made, just for the sake of doing so.

This is too great a town to let others ruin it for the greater good of a community that cares and takes pride in where they live. I may have gone on a tangent here, but I feel it is all relevant. The big picture should be long term and how it impacts the community as a whole and not how this will impact 'me' tomorrow. I hope this opens up some eyes and encourages people to join and contribute to the community with ideas and suggestions.

-Proud Harrisonian

Guest Guest

does anyone in this town think its a good idea to lay off any cops??

No, I don't! But to tell you the truth the majority of the ones we have dosen't doo too much. There are a few good ones that are trying to do thier job but I have to say anytime that I have called them, they had attitudes and seemed actually angry that they were distrubed. I agree we need our police but they need to do thier jobs not just ride around talking on thier cellphones that is against the law for them also!

does anyone in this town think its a good idea to lay off any cops??

nO WAY.iTS VERY SCARY WITH ALL THE COPS GETTING LAID OFF.hOPE THERE WILL BE CHANGES!

Guest gunner

I think they should lay off some of the older ones. save some Hard tax Money. Beside the work side jobs all day. Then they park down on cap may road sleeping. the rest of the town B.N.E All over Drugs are out of hand of

Guest Guest

First of all, you think or agree that the town has exhausted all measures before deciding to completely erode public safety. No one is going to move into a town when they know they have way less than adequate Police protection. Has the town told the Secretaries, Janitors, and so many patronage and nepotism jobs to take a 50% pay cut or leave? There would be lines of better qualified people looking to take those discounted jobs? Has the town stopped the 3 to 4 multipe job practice? No way. Has the town stopped the husband-wife job teams both over six figures jobs that do not meet even minimum qualififications? Heck no. The outlandish salaries in Harrison are killing the town. Nope. After payroll, there is nothing left for anything and in my opinion and to anyone who just stops and looks around. Hw many of these huge salaried employees live in Harrison? 1%? If you don't do the best with what you have no one is going to help you. That's the message the State of NJ is sending to these one square mile goldmines for certain people only. Harrison will eliminate evry service, even garbage collection, before it lowers these salaries ans stops the raises.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

The State of NJ has it right. If you do not do the best with what you have how can you expect the State to help you? If you live in Harrison, you can honestly say that the Mayor and Council have done their best with what they have? That would be a far reaching statement. You say the re-developement is moving forward. The town is broke, how is it going to be going forward with the redevelopement with no money and no one to loan any? 10 years ago the town could have said something to the effect of moving forward, but when they looked ahead in 2000 and thought that it was a great to spend $50 million on a 50 man fire department with 2 fires a year, boatloads of $100K jobs on people that don't even know what they are supposed to be doing, and borrowing boatloads of money at exhorbitant interest rates, you get what is todays Harrison. Broke, crime and drug infested, selling every town piece of property and building to meet bond obligations. Where is any money going to come from to move forward? The Red Bulls, forget that. Industry production, none, forget that. Investments, no money, forget that. Vacant storefronts, no taxes, forget that.

Where are any tangible funds going to come from in the next ten years now. Just about everything that can be sold is gone. Payroll cannot be met. Bond obligations are going to be defaulted on soon. NOT one salary over 100K has been looked at to be cut except a few cops and firemen. Some employees are still getting raises. Are you kidding me?

Some businessman, I don't know who, should be recruited by the State of NJ with 100% authority to make any changes necessary without opposition in Harrison before a total collapse in the next few years. You think the direction is gonna change under the plumber and his freakshow council. The entire slate should be wiped clean in one day if there is going to be any salvation. Lay-off a few more cops? That your answer? Beam me up Scotty!!