Seriously, Kearny

Guest Captain

Guest Captain

OK, what can be done to change the mess that is the Town of Kearny?

First off, who spearheaded the idea of snow removal during rush hour? Kearny was in a Grid Lock worse than if the President of the U.S. was making a speech in Times Square. How there weren't more accidents (I witnessed 3...) is lucky: How someone wasn't killed (at the time of this posting, 9:00am...) is a MIRACLE. Couldn't/Shouldn't this have been done overnight? or at least later in the day? Weekend? The DPW did an admirable job clearing the streets during the recent storms. But the overall coordination between police, DPW and Town administrators has been horrendous. Who is responsible for this? I would say The Mayor instinctually.

Secondly, changing gears, how did our School District get so bad? Kearny HS is ranked 230.... Did anyone read that TWO HUNDRED THIRTY!!! Nutley, Montclair, West Orange, Livingston are all ranked in the Top 100, with teachers and administrators making LESS money. North Arlington, Harrison and Bellville, all bordering towns, are ranked higher. Irvington and Barringer are not that far behind! Here is a telling statistic: Kearny in 2006 was ranked 200. Yes TWO HUNDRED. we have fallen 30 places under these vice principals and the past principal, AS. This is disgraceful, and it is getting worse, not better. Sports teams are in decline, and student morale and participation are at an alltime low. Teachers are disenchanted, and there has been many defections. Change is needed and we need it in a HURRY.

Lastly, why are so many businesses fleeing kearny? why are there so many homes for sale? Property values have dropped. I realize the property value issue is statewide and even Natinally epidemic, but in Kearny the drops are more dramatic. Not too good for a community of our means and geographic benefits. Again, something must be done.

I understand fully complaining on here is not an answer. But it can be a start. we need new leadership, and someone has to step up. Just continuing down this road is no longer acceptable. whether its Leadbeater, or anyone else who can provide solutions, we need to change things quickly

Guest Mr. Sweeney

here's an idea for the future. During the winter, even when it snows, keep alternate side of the street parking. Then, instead of street sweeping, remove snow on the side streets. u can include towning, announce that during the winter cars may be towed. Then turn the Oval into a ski resort for the kids!

Well Captain, you might as well complain to you dog about it. If you think its bad now, wait until Christy gives Kearny the big goose egg for aid next year and beyond. It's gonna get much, much worse.

Guest Captain

I already stated I understand complaining on here is not going to do anything to fix things. But what KOTW is a good vehicle for is to make people aware of things, and ultimately maybe someone will step up and try and fix things. Leadbeater has tried, we need others, we neeed meetings we can form and attend where solutions can be discussed, as well as a course of action, to show we do not approve of what is transpiring.

Guest Excreco Knows

here's an idea for the future. During the winter, even when it snows, keep alternate side of the street parking. Then, instead of street sweeping, remove snow on the side streets. u can include towning, announce that during the winter cars may be towed. Then turn the Oval into a ski resort for the kids!

Mr. Sweeney, you are right on the money but with alternate side parking, for the town to clean the streets to the curb, we would need hundreds of machines and workers to complete the job in one day per side of the street. I think all the snow from Kearny Avenue is down the Oval. How high are the piles? I don't know, but I am sure they could be pushed into larger piles for at least snow boarding. Our town has a great number of side streets that get little or no attention when it comes to snow plowing never mind removal. We have a lot of snow, but so do other communities and they seem to handle the problem better than we do. Our officials need to get in touch with other towns and get their plans into action for our town.

And Captain was correct with removal of snow from Kearny Avenue during rush hour--who put that plan into action? I know we can not afford overtime, but the guys working the snow removal detail had to be working past 7:00 p.m. last night (over eight hours of regular time). So start the program at night and go all night or start the project at a time that will allow for the flow of traffic in the town. The Ave. was closed during the morning rush in such a way that traffic had to go down Columbia Ave., across Chestnut St. to Midland Ave and then up past Lincoln School (Beech St.)--a nightmare and a perfect opportunity for a real tragedy. At 1:00 p.m. they were only up to Laurel Ave. after starting at Midland Ave.--traffic still had to go side street to get to Midland Ave. and back onto Kearny Ave.

And with all of what was going on--Why did our Superintendent of Schools have school when he was advised by the police to call school off for the day? Smart move on his part--talking about potential for a tragedy. How are little children and big children supposed to get to school with the weather and the traffic? But, oh yes, we will be able to have our Easter/Spring recess in tack--were is our Superintendent vacationing this year?

Excreco Knows, very good points. But did you forget, what F.D. says goe`s. He had no concern for the safety of our children. KPD advises him to close schools and he does`nt.But yet F.D. Cancelled EXAMS for the high school because not enough TEACHERS came into work the day of the storm. Good job F.D.!!!

Secondly, changing gears, how did our School District get so bad? Kearny HS is ranked 230.... Did anyone read that TWO HUNDRED THIRTY!!! Nutley, Montclair, West Orange, Livingston are all ranked in the Top 100, with teachers and administrators making LESS money. North Arlington, Harrison and Bellville, all bordering towns, are ranked higher. Irvington and Barringer are not that far behind! Here is a telling statistic: Kearny in 2006 was ranked 200. Yes TWO HUNDRED. we have fallen 30 places under these vice principals and the past principal, AS. This is disgraceful, and it is getting worse, not better. Sports teams are in decline, and student morale and participation are at an alltime low. Teachers are disenchanted, and there has been many defections. Change is needed and we need it in a HURRY.

The problem is the attitude in this town. Too many parents don't take education seriously. The kids are out on the streets late in the evening when they should be home studying. Inside the school, somebody like Paszkiewicz not only gets away with saying ridiculous things but gets applauded for it. People who don't know how to administer get put into administration for political reasons and barely anyone bothers to turn out for the Board of Education elections - so we end up with people like Castelli and Campbell who have nothing to offer but pandering to people's anger.

The knuckle-draggers cheer and congratulate themselves for how clever they think they are while our kids get a third-rate education. And of course, it's everyone else's fault.

First off, who spearheaded the idea of snow removal during rush hour? Kearny was in a Grid Lock worse than if the President of the U.S. was making a speech in Times Square. How there weren't more accidents (I witnessed 3...) is lucky: How someone wasn't killed (at the time of this posting, 9:00am...) is a MIRACLE. Couldn't/Shouldn't this have been done overnight? or at least later in the day? Weekend? The DPW did an admirable job clearing the streets during the recent storms. But the overall coordination between police, DPW and Town administrators has been horrendous. Who is responsible for this? I would say The Mayor instinctually.

Lastly, why are so many businesses fleeing kearny? why are there so many homes for sale? Property values have dropped. I realize the property value issue is statewide and even Natinally epidemic, but in Kearny the drops are more dramatic. Not too good for a community of our means and geographic benefits. Again, something must be done.

I understand fully complaining on here is not an answer. But it can be a start. we need new leadership, and someone has to step up. Just continuing down this road is no longer acceptable. whether its Leadbeater, or anyone else who can provide solutions, we need to change things quickly

I notice, Captain, since you didn't post a rant and rage posting encouraging people to b1tch and moan about the town, but instead asked for constructive criticism, ideas for improvement. I guess these threads don't get the same response as negative ones.

One thing I did notice during the snowstorms is that there were no gals from the KFC (Kentucky fried chickens) sorority house digging out snow or ice from the fire hydrants in case there was a fire. Why wouldn't the KFD dig out those hydrants in case of an emergency? They have 38,000 lives in their hands and couldn't even do that for the residents safety. I guess it was too cold outside for them. Its probably out of their scope of duty to care. I don't know why I would expect that considering they were nice and warm in there beds in the sorority house. I'm sure they had there cars dug out when it was time to home though.

Guest Then Step Up

If you feel that strongly, then get involved and make a difference. Run for Kearny Board of Education. The deadline for filing a petition is March 8, 2011. All you need is 10 signatures. Are you willing to be part of the change you say our community needs?

Guest jus sayin

"One thing I did notice during the snowstorms is that there were no gals from the KFC (Kentucky fried chickens) sorority house digging out snow or ice from the fire hydrants in case there was a fire. Why wouldn't the KFD dig out those hydrants in case of an emergency? They have 38,000 lives in their hands and couldn't even do that for the residents safety. I guess it was too cold outside for them. Its probably out of their scope of duty to care. I don't know why I would expect that considering they were nice and warm in there beds in the sorority house. I'm sure they had there cars dug out when it was time to home though."

There are 4 fire districts in the Town of Kearny each districts Firehouse are responsible for the hydrants in their district, over 700 hydrants in the Town.

Snow removal and clearing around the Firehouses is also the responsibility of the Firefighters, there are written orders/protocals for how this is done along with hydrant clearing, easily checked, just walk into ANY KFD firehouse and ask to see them, and while your there ask to see the Training logs as well, two birds one stone and all that.

Better yet take a ride through Town and try to find an uncleared hydrant,then come back here and list their addresses.

Prevarication is the fancy word for it,

But the plain and simple truth is...... you are a liar.

And a very poor one at that.

You've said in the past that you are not a Police Officer, that I believe.

I have too much regard for that profession to believe someone of your ilk would be welcomed or even tolerated by it's ranks.

However there is no doubt in my mind that the hatred and contempt you display towards Firefighters and Firefighting is only exceeded by your own self loathing.

How lonely you must be.

jus sayin