MIDLAND AVE. the MONEY PIT

Guest guest

Do the taxpayers know that ** received a finders fee for the sale of the Midland Ave. property? He claims to be a construction manager so he should have known that this property was not worth what the KBOE paid for it.($965,000.00) plus $120,000.00 to remove oil tanks. Plus $180,000.00 for architects fees. The Boe members are supposed to watch out for the taxpayers not go along with FD just because he wants a middle school which Kearny cannot afford. He is making $218,000.00 are most of Kearny's taxpayers making that ? I know most people are just making it and with the job losses it is very difficult for most taxpayers. FD doesn't live in Kearny and doesn't care about the financial problems of the taxpayers he is just interested in what he can get from the town and give to his cronies (jobs,raises, ) to those who agree with him.

Edited by KOTW
The above information has not been confirmed. The edited ** was the initials of a Board member.

Would you please just shut up. The very HONORABLE MAYOR SANTOS will do whatever the heck he wants and doesn't need your approval. Too bad if you don't like it. You voted for him, the people have spoken. At least he isn't a PVSC leech like Harrison's mayor, who will hopefully lose his job soon because it was the fruits of patronage. His only fault, as I see it, was not chopping the head off the fire unions demands to take more of the residents money out of town. I hope he makes amends for that and cuts the KFD by 1/3 next year. That would bring his approval rating WAY UP in the residents minds. $100,000.00 a year for glorified ambulance drivers who don't even live in town. Shamefull misappropration of the residents property tax money. If he corrected that, he could probably run for Congress or the next Governor only after Christie is done straightening these underachievers out.

Do the taxpayers know that ** received a finders fee for the sale of the Midland Ave. property? He claims to be a construction manager so he should have known that this property was not worth what the KBOE paid for it.($965,000.00) plus $120,000.00 to remove oil tanks. Plus $180,000.00 for architects fees. The Boe members are supposed to watch out for the taxpayers not go along with FD just because he wants a middle school which Kearny cannot afford. He is making $218,000.00 are most of Kearny's taxpayers making that ? I know most people are just making it and with the job losses it is very difficult for most taxpayers. FD doesn't live in Kearny and doesn't care about the financial problems of the taxpayers he is just interested in what he can get from the town and give to his cronies (jobs,raises, ) to those who agree with him.

How about $700.00 dollars a day for our interim assistant superintendent.Who`s been with us since september. F.D. must be having a tough time choosing ******* ****** or ******* for ass`t superintendant position. Hey I got a suggestion for you F.D.,why not make a music teacher as your assistant superintendant this way both of you and the two vice principals (KHS & FRANKLIN) could start a band,you could call yourselfs `ME AND MY ******`.

Edited by KOTW
Content.

Guest tom hanks

wELL lets say first of all midland ave was introduced with mr mooney ,further more get your facts straight that kearny recieved 1.2 million in grants only costing the tax payers about 80 thousand for tanks removal not a mathmatician but i can say thats a pretty wise investment . I only wish people have facts to speak there mind unless your J C THATS SEEKING RE ELECTION !

Guest Check your Facts

wELL lets say first of all midland ave was introduced with mr mooney ,further more get your facts straight that kearny recieved 1.2 million in grants only costing the tax payers about 80 thousand for tanks removal not a mathmatician but i can say thats a pretty wise investment . I only wish people have facts to speak there mind unless your J C THATS SEEKING RE ELECTION !

Let's say you are right that it was introduced by Mr. Moonet, but it was most of the current BOE members that followed through with the purchase. Something that should have walked away from, not to mention that they did it a week prior to last years election....timing is everything.

Now, as far as your facts, let's see the record straight. The BOE will not receive a penny of the approved 1.2 million until the work at Midland and the work at Franklin are completed. Midland Ave was purchased for $975,000.00 last April and has sat costing more and more money every day. So much for a building that was going to be renovated last July!

So, get your facts straight......$975,000.00 purchase price, approx. $25,000.00 for legal, 1.4 million to renovate, $100,000.00 for tank removal, numerous BOE employee hours there trying to fix ongoing problems with the building, $180,000.00 for architect fees and many other fees we are not made aware of. So math person stick with special ed...... ALMOST 2.7 MILLION AND STILL NO BUILDING almost a year later!!!!!! FACT

Let's say you are right that it was introduced by Mr. Moonet, but it was most of the current BOE members that followed through with the purchase. Something that should have walked away from, not to mention that they did it a week prior to last years election....timing is everything.

Now, as far as your facts, let's see the record straight. The BOE will not receive a penny of the approved 1.2 million until the work at Midland and the work at Franklin are completed. Midland Ave was purchased for $975,000.00 last April and has sat costing more and more money every day. So much for a building that was going to be renovated last July!

So, get your facts straight......$975,000.00 purchase price, approx. $25,000.00 for legal, 1.4 million to renovate, $100,000.00 for tank removal, numerous BOE employee hours there trying to fix ongoing problems with the building, $180,000.00 for architect fees and many other fees we are not made aware of. So math person stick with special ed...... ALMOST 2.7 MILLION AND STILL NO BUILDING almost a year later!!!!!! FACT

This discussion has to do with accountability. The money was grant funded by the State of NJ to the Kearny BOE. All documentation relating to this transaction and all expeditures of funds is available to anyone who wants them from the Kearny BOE or the NJ Department of Education under the Open Public Records Act. Just ask in writing and you shall receive.

With the high amount of tax dollars going to Trenton by Kearny taxpayers, why wouldn't those same taxpayers want their state money to actually be spent in our own community? The Midland Ave. purchase and Franklin School renovations were two of those opportunities although four BOE members don't think so. Most of the costs listed on this blog go well beyond accurrate, They are not only outrageous, they are also incorrect. "2.7 MILLION AND STILL NO BUILDING almost a year later" Go to a BOE meeting. The construction timelines and costs are continuously discussed.

Its really sad to see the misinformation being posted on this site by a group of individuals who are more concerned with the re-election of a Kearny school board member that was censured by the state for ethics violations. So much for accountability. For them, its really accountability on their own terms.

Guest Mr. Know It All

This discussion has to do with accountability. The money was grant funded by the State of NJ to the Kearny BOE. All documentation relating to this transaction and all expeditures of funds is available to anyone who wants them from the Kearny BOE or the NJ Department of Education under the Open Public Records Act. Just ask in writing and you shall receive.

With the high amount of tax dollars going to Trenton by Kearny taxpayers, why wouldn't those same taxpayers want their state money to actually be spent in our own community? The Midland Ave. purchase and Franklin School renovations were two of those opportunities although four BOE members don't think so. Most of the costs listed on this blog go well beyond accurrate, They are not only outrageous, they are also incorrect. "2.7 MILLION AND STILL NO BUILDING almost a year later" Go to a BOE meeting. The construction timelines and costs are continuously discussed.

Its really sad to see the misinformation being posted on this site by a group of individuals who are more concerned with the re-election of a Kearny school board member that was censured by the state for ethics violations. So much for accountability. For them, its really accountability on their own terms.

Mr. Know It All......who is putting a spin on things??????

Answer the following:

1- How much did the BOE pay for Midland Ave?? hint- $975,000.00

2- How much more money is to be spent on Midland Ave?? hint - approx $1.8 million and rising.

3- How much money is expected from the State? hint - $1.2 million

4- How much money has the BOE been reimbursed to date for these expenditures? Hint- be truthful, this one I don't know, but will take your advice and OPRA for it.

5- How long has the building been owned and sitting vacant?? hint - 10 months and counting.

I have been to some meetings and have heard some discussion about this subject, but not enough. I have heard 1 board member question the amount of money being spent there, but he seemed not to get a clear answer about the money being spent.

There is no comparison between accountability and fact... you seem to not be able to handle the truth, it appears it is you who fears not getting re-elected because of facts! So put your own twist on things and now start bringing in other BOE members who you do not have a clue about what they think. Seems to me the newest members are a Godsent to the district, they vote for what is right and best for the district and not what has been status quo.

Have another cocktail pal! Talk about a stupid post, what's your point, that this is about getting a board member re-elected? You missed the bus!!!!!

Your entire post is suppose to confirm what???

Tell us who is in Midland and using it for what? Tell us how much the BOE has spent already, during the worst economic times in history on a piece of crap on Midland ave? Tell us how much more is to be spent?

TELL US WHO THE BOE MEMBERS ARE WHO YOU SAY DON'T WANT THE BUILDING! Because the only thing you mentioned that has any merit is ACCOUNTIBILITY, AND THOSE BOE members I want to know because they seem to be the only members who are trying to be accountable to the taxpayers!!!

Guest concerned taxpayer

How about $700.00 dollars a day for our interim assistant superintendent.Who`s been with us since september. F.D. must be having a tough time choosing ******* ****** or ******* for ass`t superintendant position. Hey I got a suggestion for you F.D.,why not make a music teacher as your assistant superintendant this way both of you and the two vice principals (KHS & FRANKLIN) could start a band,you could call yourselfs `ME AND MY ******`.

Talk about a farce this was a set up by ** for *** pal ** ** retired from the system is collecting (sick pay) a large pension and now $700.00 a day for 5 days a week. No othe interim asst. super worked 5 days it was usually 3 so why is he getting 5 days at $700 thats $3,500.00 a week Nice paycheck along with his pension & medical benefits for life why is the job not advertised is there no intention of getting a permanent ass. superintendent .Why keep allowing this double dipping when so many young people are looking for jobs and can't find them because the old dead wood will not get out but keep hanging on . We as taxpayers are paying for this it is a shame that it is allowed to go on.

Edited by KOTW
Content. KOTW has not verified the above information.

• 3 years later...
Guest Deeper Pit

Mr. Know It All......who is putting a spin on things??????

Answer the following:

1- How much did the BOE pay for Midland Ave?? hint- $975,000.00

2- How much more money is to be spent on Midland Ave?? hint - approx $1.8 million and rising.

3- How much money is expected from the State? hint - $1.2 million

4- How much money has the BOE been reimbursed to date for these expenditures? Hint- be truthful, this one I don't know, but will take your advice and OPRA for it.

5- How long has the building been owned and sitting vacant?? hint - 10 months and counting.

I have been to some meetings and have heard some discussion about this subject, but not enough. I have heard 1 board member question the amount of money being spent there, but he seemed not to get a clear answer about the money being spent.

There is no comparison between accountability and fact... you seem to not be able to handle the truth, it appears it is you who fears not getting re-elected because of facts! So put your own twist on things and now start bringing in other BOE members who you do not have a clue about what they think. Seems to me the newest members are a Godsent to the district, they vote for what is right and best for the district and not what has been status quo.

OK, is this nuts or what. This post is 3 years old and we are in the same situation, only another million of tax dollars wasted. There are some correction to the old post. #2 it is now over 2 million dollars and rising, there was just a $28,000.00 change order approved at the last board meeting with no explanation for what. #3- the reimbursement as per board business admin. is $870,000.00, but unless the BOE puts 2 classrooms in the contaminated building no grant money comes from the State, so add another 1 million onto the tax payers backs, #4 NO MONEY has been reimbursed to the board to date. #5 - 4 years sitting vacant but money being spent on it constantly... almost 2 million to date spent.

This building should have never been purchased, *** ************ ******* *** board buy it as is, McDonald and Doran voted for purchase. 4 underground oil tanks known by boe members on site and still purchased, so far remediation costs over $240,000.00, architect costs already over $180,000.00, the building appraiser who gave board the value for purchase licensed was expired, property has ties back to the ******* family (******) now boe employees are also working and supplying materials on the job which has more costs and keeps them away from doing their normal work in buildings which are in need of repairs that our kids attend every day,

when all is said and done this midland ave "show piece" will cost the taxpayers over $3.5 million dollars for a building that is not worth $250,000.00 and not 1 child will ever attend a class in !!!!

Edited by KOTW
Content.