police dept

Guest guest

Hope if you need the cops,its not that much of an emergency. Because the last few calls from different people were told we will sent one when one becomes AVAILABLE!!!!! Are you kidding me. This does not look good for the Mayor and council people. Remember that.

Guest yeah right

Hope if you need the cops,its not that much of an emergency. Because the last few calls from different people were told we will sent one when one becomes AVAILABLE!!!!! Are you kidding me. This does not look good for the Mayor and council people. Remember that.

So sorry that you think that..maybe it's just there are not many of the old whipping boys left who are at your becan call...these guys had to take a test to get the job and are working with what they have..unlike you who think you are ENTITLEd to things.You want to decrease their pay/pension/benifits and cap their salary and you still expect to be treated like you live in Alpine....you live in an Abbott District(we are poor) and you sure know how to take advantage of that...right??!

What you say is true. I believe it, but it is not the policemans fault, its another breakdown in an already broken system. When you only have 2 or three cops on the street during nights most apt for crime, like weekend nights, what do you expect. If there is one domestic violence incident, which is an increasing crime, that takes 2 of the cops off the street leaving 1 officer to police the entire town. I don't think anyone feels safe knowing that, and its true, not BS. Most towns have double the number of cops to fireman, but Harrisons political protocal is to have 10 fireman per shift sleeping while jeapordizing public safety. There are more secretaries on duty at times than cops. Blame the current administration, not the cops who have no backup at some dangerous situations when required. I know of no other town that has this disparity. The reason lies in family taking care of family and friends at the citzens right to have adequate police protection for the skyrocketing taxes being paid. The policy is in writing as anorder. You can read it.

So sorry that you think that..maybe it's just there are not many of the old whipping boys left who are at your becan call...these guys had to take a test to get the job and are working with what they have..unlike you who think you are ENTITLEd to things.You want to decrease their pay/pension/benifits and cap their salary and you still expect to be treated like you live in Alpine....you live in an Abbott District(we are poor) and you sure know how to take advantage of that...right??!

The police do a great job im not putting them down by know means. Im saying when a call comes in they say they will sent a cop when one becomes available. There should be one avaiable at all times. And further more I am taking advantage of what? Get it straight what you are saying .

As a former HPD officer, you are ENTITLED to have adequate police protection for the outrageous taxes you pay. You are right, but the problem is not with police, its with the current and soon to be former Mayor and council. They have clearly demonstrated that nepotism and cronyism outweight your safety. More secretaries on duty at times than cops, thats a horrible injustice you should not be subjected to. Put the blame where the blame lies. The current and soon former mayor and council have had it out for the police ever since the police refused their begging not to report Tanski to the prosecutors office as well as the police catching the double checks going out to certain (I think 5) employees for an extended period of time. The council and treasurer had to know about these things, but I guess were coerced to allow them to continue. Why did it take the police to notice these really, really acts hurtfull to the taxpayers instead of the town lawyers, accountants, and treasurer. I once again suspect planned and coordinated activity.

Edited by KOTW
KOTW Note: The above information has not been confirmed. It has been posted under KOTW's Try Not to Edit Policy.

Guest Ian Noone

The HPD is doing a great job with their alloted manpower. Contrary to what the last poster said, the Mayor and Council have to adhere to what the State tells them. They have overlapping shifts that are set according to the times when most incidents occur. That means at some times there are double the amount of officers on duty. I was at a Red Bull game and the police had a very good traffic plan in place. The roads to the Stadium are inadequate but the police were able to dispurse the crowd in an orderly manner.

The HPD has improved their efficiency by placing civilian dispatchers on duty allowing officers to be reassigned. They have also assigned civilians to issue parking summons. As far back as 2000 the state wanted the HPD to have only 42 Officers. That was fought by the Police Administration and the TO was set at 56 Officers and 7 civilian dispatchers. There were no demotions and the traffic squad had a full complement. Since the there have been 2 new Chiefs with the resultant decrease in manpower and demotion of top officers.

You can make your assumtions, but those are the facts.

The fact is that just because the state says the town only needs 42 cops the residents still are not getting adequate police protection because of the worsening economy in town, the population shifting, and the red bulls cops are paid by the red bulls, not the town. They are for traffic only and when the game is over they leave. Hey, if everyone feels safe, all well and good. Coming from the perspective of a former officer who sees what is really going on not getting reported to the state, you are not safe, neither are the cops. Muggings, burglaries, stolen vehicles, and much more crime could greatly be reduced by more police on the street, a deterrent. Just being able to be the minimum reactive reponse doesn't work. For the taxes you pay, a proactive approach would be much safer. When criminals see more police on on patrol, they move on. When they know that the few, very few, cops on the road merely respond when someone has already commoited and dials 911 crime,they are on their way out of town already. It does not work. If you are so thrilled with having 10 fireman sleeping on weekend nights when most crime occurs and only 3 or less cops on the street, God bless you. remember, when a fireman calls in sick, they are immediately replaced with another. When a cop calls in sick or is on vacation, they do not gets replaced, "0" overtime policy.

Guest Harrison Senior

The fact is that just because the state says the town only needs 42 cops the residents still are not getting adequate police protection because of the worsening economy in town, the population shifting, and the red bulls cops are paid by the red bulls, not the town. They are for traffic only and when the game is over they leave. Hey, if everyone feels safe, all well and good. Coming from the perspective of a former officer who sees what is really going on not getting reported to the state, you are not safe, neither are the cops. Muggings, burglaries, stolen vehicles, and much more crime could greatly be reduced by more police on the street, a deterrent. Just being able to be the minimum reactive reponse doesn't work. For the taxes you pay, a proactive approach would be much safer. When criminals see more police on on patrol, they move on. When they know that the few, very few, cops on the road merely respond when someone has already commoited and dials 911 crime,they are on their way out of town already. It does not work. If you are so thrilled with having 10 fireman sleeping on weekend nights when most crime occurs and only 3 or less cops on the street, God bless you. remember, when a fireman calls in sick, they are immediately replaced with another. When a cop calls in sick or is on vacation, they do not gets replaced, "0" overtime policy.

Oh please,stop crying. If I wake up at 3am and smell smoke and can't get out of my apartment, I want to know that firefighters are sleeping next to their trucks and will be at my house in 2 or 3 minutes to save me. If we had a volunteer dept. the volunteers would be HOME sleeping at 3am. By the time a volunteer gets out of bed, dresses, goes out to his car and drives to the firehouse, puts on his fire gear and then drives to my apartment I'd be long gone. Also, consider if it's snowing out, the volunteer first has to clear his windows before he can drive to the firehouse.

Of course, everyone also want adequate police protection so I do support an established minimum manning policy in the PD.

Your complaints are valid but should be directed to the administration and stop trying to blame the FD for the PD problems.

Guest whiner help

Oh please,stop crying. If I wake up at 3am and smell smoke and can't get out of my apartment, I want to know that firefighters are sleeping next to their trucks and will be at my house in 2 or 3 minutes to save me. If we had a volunteer dept. the volunteers would be HOME sleeping at 3am. By the time a volunteer gets out of bed, dresses, goes out to his car and drives to the firehouse, puts on his fire gear and then drives to my apartment I'd be long gone. Also, consider if it's snowing out, the volunteer first has to clear his windows before he can drive to the firehouse.

Of course, everyone also want adequate police protection so I do support an established minimum manning policy in the PD.

Your complaints are valid but should be directed to the administration and stop trying to blame the FD for the PD problems.

If you are so concern about response time then make the officers live in town including your chief. secondly you guys manage to make it in for red bull patroling. you guys sold yourself out with this unlimited sick time by your formal pba prez. you B**ch all day yet every domestic goes by as vebal and every thief is never solved except by outside departments like kearny, our detectives are fools they know food locations but fighting crime well its whatever the scan heads in town tell them. i especially enjoy their coffee runs and joy runs with family members, their out of town food runs or shopping trips to kearny walmart. wise up we pay your salaries and if its that bad here then go back to sheriffs or where ever else they will take you at this point.your leader is truely cluess and yet mamnges you bobbleheads to follow amazing! bravo for the hfd do little and get paid cause in the end karma prevails!