On the Beat

Guest ko

Sorry to be one these people, but I really have to.

With all the talk of municipal employees needing a kick in the ass, wasteful spending and all that shit, I can't help myself. Why is it that every corner I pass there is a crossing guard on a cell phone texting, talking or who knows what? If its not that, they're 20+ feet from their post getting something from their car, chatting with a friend or simply not doing their job. Being a crossing guard is not that tough; the hours are great; and you pretty much only have a shitty in the winter. So, I would like to ask the town to either replace these lazy individuals or at least make a policy banning cellphone use (or enforce one if it exists already). I would, however, like to exclude a personal favorite crossing guard of mine from this attack. To the lady at Midland and Elm, you're one of a kind. Thanks for your continual hard work. Also, to whoever has King and Schuyler, you also do fine work. That is a dangerous intersection that should include a crosswalk and flashing signs. Harrison Ave and Schuyler probably blows, too. So you're also excluded. To the woman at Wilson and Davis, you work super hard, too; but, you also think you're a cop... and you're not. If I didn't mention you and you're also good at what you do, then terrific.

Guest 2smart4u

With all the talk of municipal employees needing a kick in the ass, wasteful spending and all that shit, I can't help myself. Why is it that every corner I pass there is a crossing guard on a cell phone texting, talking or who knows what? If its not that, they're 20+ feet from their post getting something from their car, chatting with a friend or simply not doing their job. Being a crossing guard is not that tough; the hours are great; and you pretty much only have a shitty in the winter. So, I would like to ask the town to either replace these lazy individuals or at least make a policy banning cellphone use (or enforce one if it exists already). I would, however, like to exclude a personal favorite crossing guard of mine from this attack. To the lady at Midland and Elm, you're one of a kind. Thanks for your continual hard work. Also, to whoever has King and Schuyler, you also do fine work. That is a dangerous intersection that should include a crosswalk and flashing signs. Harrison Ave and Schuyler probably blows, too. So you're also excluded. To the woman at Wilson and Davis, you work super hard, too; but, you also think you're a cop... and you're not. If I didn't mention you and you're also good at what you do, then terrific.

Good grief, get a freakin life.

Guest Not So KO

It was great that you were quiet for a while, but now you come back and write this hypocritical BS. You wouldn't know a tough corner from an easy corner if you stood there for a week. Since when have you become the expert on traffic and safety? Also , since when are you the evaluator of who is good and who is not, and "if you didn't mention you and you're also good at what you do, then terrific." What kind of a$$hole statement is that! Now here is some facts for you: "the hours are great"--- How about the hours are no different than most jobs, only the crossing guards get paid for only 5 hours a day, but their day encompasses 8 hours, 8am - 4pm, "20 feet from their post", how do you know where their post is? if a normal intersection has 4 corners and the corners are 40 feet apart from each other, than no matter what corner they are standing on by your statement they are not on their post, stupidity. "chatting with a friend", amazing statement, you now know every crossing guards friend, how about I don't know of any job in the world where your job discription states "you are not allowed to talk to anyone", how about they could be talking to a parent of a student, a pedestrian, a student, a citizen who walks by every day, etc., I don't know of any corner in which their friends come to hang out and talk, - ridiculous. Last but not least The "weather", certainly not a perk by any means, how about you get a handful of nice days in the fall and spring only, than you should come out and hang on the corners when its 90 degrees and hotter, or 32 degrees and sometimes much colder, or when its pouring rain, or snow, or better yet, when it does snow and schools are closed, but the crossing guards still have to get up, dressed, dig out their cars or walk and than stand on their corner for the first hour even though schools are closed. So before you, a non-expert have to comment on someones job, first try to walk in their shoes.

Guest Concerned Senior Citizen

There is a crossing guard located on my corner who daily has visitors. She has the same one daily talking to her for hours. Some people bring her coffee. As for the phone, when she is not talking with her friends, she will be on her phone, away from her post, and, in general, not paying attention to the crosswalk. I see her daily walking to her car for only she knows what. The hours are not good as for all the break time--they get paid for five hours. Maybe we should do like they did in Harrison--break the post into two shifts with no benefits. A truly part time job.

There is a crossing guard located on my corner who daily has visitors. She has the same one daily talking to her for hours. Some people bring her coffee. As for the phone, when she is not talking with her friends, she will be on her phone, away from her post, and, in general, not paying attention to the crosswalk. I see her daily walking to her car for only she knows what. The hours are not good as for all the break time--they get paid for five hours. Maybe we should do like they did in Harrison--break the post into two shifts with no benefits. A truly part time job.

AS LONG AS WE ARE TALKING CELL PHONE ABUSE HOW ABOUT OUR POLICE DEPARTMENT RIDING ALL OVER TOWN WHILE CHIT-CHATTING ON THEIR CELL PHONES.HOW CAN THEY ENFORCE THE LAW THAT THEY ARE CONSTANTLY BREAKING?

FYI, all crossings guards, are administered cell phones by P.D. you really have no idea what reason they might be on thier phones, Granted no one should be on phones during thier work hours for personal use. Also to call all of them lazy, is completly unfair. Many of them are hard workers, and the responsibilty they carry is a huge one.I call them the watchdogs of our neighborhoods, they look after our children, the know who belongs, and does not belong in our neighborhoods. Daily, taking my childern to school up MIDLAND AVE I have witnessed them escape death, because all the drivers on cell phones. These men and woman are who keep our children safe,so,take another realistic look. As for the weather,try it,stand out there for five hours,mabey,if your nice,and frozen,someone might bring you a cup of coffee so you can get the chill out of your body.

Good point about the standing out in the inclement weather, but that is part of the job description--if you don't like it, don't take the job. If the guards are cold, it is their own fault. They get a clothing allowance, so buy clothing that will keep you warm, dry or what ever the situation calls for. There must be something good about the job that keeps the same people at the job for years. I would imagine it is the pay, the benefits, the hours (as bad as they seem to be), and the summers off (with pay until recently). For all their responsibilities, they should be paid well, but what did we do before we had crossing guards? Where we have crossing guards, maybe we should really have traffic lights or police officers assigned to direct traffic. The signs, at crosswalks, to remind drivers that pedestrians have the right of way make some sense; but not everyone can read English or understand the laws (hard to believe that they got a driver's license). I find that we have a real problem with keeping our children safe at crosswalks. The real point that should be made is that no matter who has the post, stay off your phone unless you are calling for assistance. Be diligent and ask your friends to talk to you when you are off duty. Stand at your post--no sitting on the neighbors front stairs, walls, your car bumper or leaning on trees, telephone polls, etc. Drink your coffee on your own time. My thoughts are for the guards that are not doing what they are hired to do--I know that probably 90% of the guards are doing their jobs and go above and beyond what is asked of them--MY HAT IS OFF TO THEM--BRAVO AND KEEP UP THE FINE WORK.

As for the police using phones in their police cars, could it be a police officer is calling for help or getting a call to respond to an incident? It has become well known that phones are used rather than the open air wave radios of the old days. It is my belief that every police officer is doing what is right while in their police car or whatever post they are given.

Good point about the standing out in the inclement weather, but that is part of the job description--if you don't like it, don't take the job. If the guards are cold, it is their own fault. They get a clothing allowance, so buy clothing that will keep you warm, dry or what ever the situation calls for. There must be something good about the job that keeps the same people at the job for years. I would imagine it is the pay, the benefits, the hours (as bad as they seem to be), and the summers off (with pay until recently). For all their responsibilities, they should be paid well, but what did we do before we had crossing guards? Where we have crossing guards, maybe we should really have traffic lights or police officers assigned to direct traffic. The signs, at crosswalks, to remind drivers that pedestrians have the right of way make some sense; but not everyone can read English or understand the laws (hard to believe that they got a driver's license). I find that we have a real problem with keeping our children safe at crosswalks. The real point that should be made is that no matter who has the post, stay off your phone unless you are calling for assistance. Be diligent and ask your friends to talk to you when you are off duty. Stand at your post--no sitting on the neighbors front stairs, walls, your car bumper or leaning on trees, telephone polls, etc. Drink your coffee on your own time. My thoughts are for the guards that are not doing what they are hired to do--I know that probably 90% of the guards are doing their jobs and go above and beyond what is asked of them--MY HAT IS OFF TO THEM--BRAVO AND KEEP UP THE FINE WORK.

As for the police using phones in their police cars, could it be a police officer is calling for help or getting a call to respond to an incident? It has become well known that phones are used rather than the open air wave radios of the old days. It is my belief that every police officer is doing what is right while in their police car or whatever post they are given.

if you belieive every cop is doing what is right while in their police carthe you are nuttier than I thought.

if you belieive every cop is doing what is right while in their police carthe you are nuttier than I thought.

PLEASE SEND A RECLINER FOR THE CROSSING GUARD AT ELM AND STUYVESANT SHE DOESN'T LOOK TOO COMFORTABLE SITTING ON THOSE STEPS.

Kearny PD no longer uses "open air wave radios". They use an encrypted system. If you are listening and are not PD/Someone who should have access then you are breaking Federal Laws. No reason police should be using Cell Phones to call for "help" or recieving calls on them to respond to a incident.

Kearny PD no longer uses "open air wave radios". They use an encrypted system. If you are listening and are not PD/Someone who should have access then you are breaking Federal Laws. No reason police should be using Cell Phones to call for "help" or recieving calls on them to respond to a incident.

Your information about the "encrypted system" is most interesting. I stand corrected, using cell phones in anyone's car is breaking the law. Everyone needs to get a hands free device or pull over to talk on your cell phone. Being a police officer does not allow you to break the law.

PLEASE SEND A RECLINER FOR THE CROSSING GUARD AT ELM AND STUYVESANT SHE DOESN'T LOOK TOO COMFORTABLE SITTING ON THOSE STEPS.

Your posting seems to have shaken up the troops. No need for a recliner. Friday, everyone seemed to be standing or as best leaning against the nearest building. But the phones are still going strong. I think these people have too much

time at their post doing nothing but waiting--the working hours must be adjusted. As taxpayers, we are paying people for standing around doing nothing.

Your information about the "encrypted system" is most interesting. I stand corrected, using cell phones in anyone's car is breaking the law. Everyone needs to get a hands free device or pull over to talk on your cell phone. Being a police officer does not allow you to break the law.

Actually it does.. LEO are exempt as long as they are in performance of their Duties.

39:4-97.4 Inapplicability of act to certain officials.

2.The prohibitions set forth in this act shall not be applicable to any of the following persons while in the actual performance of their official duties: a law enforcement officer; a member of a paid, part-paid, or volunteer fire department or company; or an operator of an authorized emergency vehicle.

L.2003,c.310,s.2.

As far as Doc13Mets.. Stick to fire stuff, you dont know what you are talking about when it comes to Police Operations.

AS LONG AS WE ARE TALKING CELL PHONE ABUSE HOW ABOUT OUR POLICE DEPARTMENT RIDING ALL OVER TOWN WHILE CHIT-CHATTING ON THEIR CELL PHONES.HOW CAN THEY ENFORCE THE LAW THAT THEY ARE CONSTANTLY BREAKING?

You are absolutely right. About a month ago I was driving on Belgrove Drive from Bergen Avenue to Oakwood Avenue behind a Kearny Police Car. The officer was on the phone the entire time going about 5 miles per hour. I could see him in his side view mirror. The entire time laughing away and talking. Obviously a personal call not police work. He started looking at me in the mirror, got pissed off because I was right behind him, pulled over real quick with an attitude and then when I passed him he pulled back out and continued down Belgrove Drive, never missed a beat with the phone call. The problem is they think they are above the law. The old double standard. There are the rules for everyone else and there are no rules for them.

Actually it does.. LEO are exempt as long as they are in performance of their Duties.

39:4-97.4 Inapplicability of act to certain officials.

2.The prohibitions set forth in this act shall not be applicable to any of the following persons while in the actual performance of their official duties: a law enforcement officer; a member of a paid, part-paid, or volunteer fire department or company; or an operator of an authorized emergency vehicle.

L.2003,c.310,s.2.

As far as Doc13Mets.. Stick to fire stuff, you dont know what you are talking about when it comes to Police Operations.

IS CHIT-CHATTING AN ACTUAL PERFORMANCE OF THEIR OFFICIAL DUTIES? DO THEY TEACH CHIT-CHAT AT THE ACADEMY?

IS CHIT-CHATTING AN ACTUAL PERFORMANCE OF THEIR OFFICIAL DUTIES? DO THEY TEACH CHIT-CHAT AT THE ACADEMY?

201-998-1313 Ask for Sgt Brodie, he runs Internal Affairs, a fact that took me all of 3 minutes to find out..or are you just going to whine about it here from behind your computer like a little B**ch? If it bothers you that much make a report about it...or STFU. I'm glad I never tried to be a Cop..the Stupidity evidenced here would have me pulling my hair out within a day.

201-998-1313 Ask for Sgt Brodie, he runs Internal Affairs, a fact that took me all of 3 minutes to find out..or are you just going to whine about it here from behind your computer like a little B**ch? If it bothers you that much make a report about it...or STFU. I'm glad I never tried to be a Cop..the Stupidity evidenced here would have me pulling my hair out within a day.

Are you sure your not a cop? You sure sound like one.

YOU WERE TOO STUPID TO PASS THE TEST.

YOU WERE TOO STUPID TO PASS THE TEST.

My God..what a Well-reasoned and thought out reply. You Sir, are a SHINING example of the Kearny School System!!!!! B)

By the way no one has yet bothered to answer whether or not they made that complaint to the Department concerning that Officer

My God..what a Well-reasoned and thought out reply. You Sir, are a SHINING example of the Kearny School System!!!!! B)

By the way no one has yet bothered to answer whether or not they made that complaint to the Department concerning that Officer

I AM SURE THE OFFICER DIDN'T OFFER UP HIS NAME OR BADGE NUMBER TO THE PERSON WHO WANTED TO REPORT HIM TO IA YOU STUPID MORON.

Guest Guestimate

I AM SURE THE OFFICER DIDN'T OFFER UP HIS NAME OR BADGE NUMBER TO THE PERSON WHO WANTED TO REPORT HIM TO IA YOU STUPID MORON.

YOU STUPID MORON. Vehicles have car numbers and they are assigned to certain officers at certain times. The Department is full of detectives. I'm sure they could have figured it out.