Make the HFD better

Guest LONG TIME RESIDENT

Guest LONG TIME RESIDENT

I agree with most people on this site, that changes have to made in the fire dept. As we all know, even though we may need them, plus thier EMS services, we have to make changes. I for one believe that we should keep all of the current employees, but we should also start to recruit new members as volinteers, when current employees retirer, and need to be replaced, as a full timed employee, we would not have to hire people from out side of the town to fill the spot, since being a vollenter would be a requirment for any new employees. I know that we need a FD, But what we should do is go though attrication, supplmented with volley"s it would both keep us safe, and lower taxes. I may not spell right, I'm not used to being on the computer, don't know spell check, but I want the people in the FD to help me, both in the EMS and FD duties.. I think that there can be a equal solution to handle this, and still keep my taxes stable, and afford me the saftey that I should be given. Thank you form your time... I'm just a old time Harrisonian who wants what I always grew up getting, People who work for the town, that I can count on, plus the PD and the town workers.

Guest Guest
I agree with most people on this site, that changes have to made in the fire dept. As we all know, even though we may need them, plus thier EMS services, we have to make changes. I for one believe that we should keep all of the current employees, but we should also start to recruit new members as volinteers, when current employees retirer, and need to be replaced, as a full timed employee, we would not have to hire people from out side of the town to fill the spot, since being a vollenter would be a requirment for any new employees. I know that we need a FD, But what we should do is go though attrication, supplmented with volley"s it would both keep us safe, and lower taxes. I may not spell right, I'm not used to being on the computer, don't know spell check, but I want the people in the FD to help me, both in the EMS and FD duties.. I think that there can be a equal solution to handle this, and still keep my taxes stable, and afford me the saftey that I should be given. Thank you form your time... I'm just a old time Harrisonian who wants what I always grew up getting, People who work for the town, that I can count on, plus the PD and the town workers.

You may not spell good, but your ideas are right on the mark. We know we need a fire dept and a ambulance service. But we can supplement the present force with volunteer firefighters and emt personnel. The, when an opening comes up, the volunteers would get preference. This is state law. You would then be able to hire a Harrison resident if they are a volunteer.

Guest Harrison Senior

Barney please, your feeble attempts at pretending to be someone else are ridiculous.

You may not spell good, but your ideas are right on the mark. We know we need a fire dept and a ambulance service. But we can supplement the present force with volunteer firefighters and emt personnel. The, when an opening comes up, the volunteers would get preference. This is state law. You would then be able to hire a Harrison resident if they are a volunteer.

I am sorry but that is not State Law. That is no longer the way it works. The Appellate Division of the NJ Superior Court ruled on this in 2002. The way it works is they award "Volunteer Firefighter Service Credit". The law allows volunteers of the combination department to receive up to 3 to 10 extra points depending on time of service. It starts once you hit your second full year of volunteer service. So say if you were a Volly FF for Harrison for 2 years you would get 3 points, 3 years 4 points and so on until you max out at 10 added to your final score on the Civil Service Test. These points would only apply to Harrison though, no other towns.

Also note because Harrison hires off of a Hudson/Essex county list any person who receives "Veteran's Preference" that lives in Hudson or Essex county would still be automatically ranked higher regardless.

Maybe before you guys start to "reorganize" the Harrison Fire Department you should first fully understand the Fire Department policies and the state policies regarding hiring and so forth.

Guest Yeah right
Barney please, your feeble attempts at pretending to be someone else are ridiculous.

And your fixation with a purple dinosaur is monotonous. Do you see Barney's in your dreams? Do they talk to you? Get some new material, in fact, get some help. Now.

You must be one of the very junior firemen that would lose their job first, no wonder you're so defensive and delusional about fire department cuts.

Guest Guest
And your fixation with a purple dinosaur is monotonous. Do you see Barney's in your dreams? Do they talk to you? Get some new material, in fact, get some help. Now.

You must be one of the very junior firemen that would lose their job first, no wonder you're so defensive and delusional about fire department cuts.

If you watched anything other than cartoons, you would know he's referring to Barney Fife, the bumbling cop on the Andy Griffith show. Dummy.

Guest Guest

I second that idea. You may not spell but you are one of the most intelligent people that write on this site. Most of them are just plain insulting instead of good quality ideas as you have presented. Good idea no, great idea!

Guest Guest

Instead of being so insulting why don't you use your brain to come up with some solutions!

Guest Really!!??
If you watched anything other than cartoons, you would know he's referring to Barney Fife, the bumbling cop on the Andy Griffith show. Dummy.

UH yeah right. Sure fooled me there. I just thought maybe the Barney Fife reference had been played out(go ahead search this forum - 3 pages of Barney references) and it was time to change. It's sarcasm, if you had gone to school instead of watching Andy Griffith, you would have known that.

Got it Gomer?

Guest Guest

It is funny how nothing was discussed pertaining to the states judges and their pensions. These individuals pay nothing into the pension system yet receive 100% of their salary when they retire. Opposed to a police officer who contrinutes 8.5% of their salary to the pension system and retires at 65% when they retire.

The governor also failed to address why insurance and medical costs are so high in this state.

The man is certifiable in his hatred of public education. Probably because he & his family were all privately schooled.

Guest Harrison Senior
It is funny how nothing was discussed pertaining to the states judges and their pensions. These individuals pay nothing into the pension system yet receive 100% of their salary when they retire. Opposed to a police officer who contrinutes 8.5% of their salary to the pension system and retires at 65% when they retire.

The governor also failed to address why insurance and medical costs are so high in this state.

The man is certifiable in his hatred of public education. Probably because he & his family were all privately schooled.

Correction for "Guest". Judges in NJ make a maximum of 75% or a top pension of $118,000.

Guest Guest

Man, I hope you did not go to Harrison Schools, because your spelling is terrible..haha..If you did, maybe we should be trying to make the teachers in Harrison better.lol.

Guest Guest

I think you meant, "You may not spell well, but your ideas are right on the mark" haha..sorry had to .

Guest Da Man
Correction for "Guest". Judges in NJ make a maximum of 75% or a top pension of $118,000.

Also wrong, Christie is a product of the Livingston Public School System!!!!!!

Guest Lone Time Resident
Man, I hope you did not go to Harrison Schools, because your spelling is terrible..haha..If you did, maybe we should be trying to make the teachers in Harrison better.lol.

Listen pal, I may not be good with a computer, but I did serve our country in Korea, there was no computers back then, just MEN with some B-lls. I did go to HHS and am proud of it. Time may have passed me by, but if it was'nt for people like me, you would not to able to write nonsense like this. Do me a favorite, before you put down people like me, ask yourself where would this country be without those of us who served. You should be kissing my a_s for the opertonity to even be able to have the freedom to write on this site. My spelling? If I would know the correct way with computers it would be for you and those like you to kiss my a-s. s for people running for town office, let's get a veteran. Side note I'm to old to run, but not old enought to know better, how's my computer skills now, I hope better...................LOL