Grafetti and Town Curfew?

Guest guest

I was wondering has anyone else noticed the many appearances of graffetti all over Kearny? When you call the Kearny PD it is treated lightly. Yet when you ask about a curfew they state they are unable to enforce it. You think maybe if they were able to enforce a simple curfew(at least during the week) we might not have as much graffetti all over town? Just a thought. Because I would hate to see this town become rundown, when there is an easy correctible solution to at least this problem.

I was wondering has anyone else noticed the many appearances of graffetti all over Kearny? When you call the Kearny PD it is treated lightly. Yet when you ask about a curfew they state they are unable to enforce it. You think maybe if they were able to enforce a simple curfew(at least during the week) we might not have as much graffetti all over town? Just a thought. Because I would hate to see this town become rundown, when there is an easy correctible solution to at least this problem.

You wont't see anything now from the mayor's office on this for another 4 years. After he again bought his way into this past election, he is going to go back and hide under his rock. Just wish there would have been some new blood in this town. Change is sometimes good, but not when it comes to ignoring things like graffitti. Someone please wake up Charlie Brown and clean up this place?

Its been umpteen years and the old bat factory is still an eyesight. Doubt that anything will be done in my lifetime and I expect to live for another 40 + years.

The towns Curfew Ordinance is still in effect and still enforceable ( Town Ord.#4-8.1 ) and Graffiti is considered an act of Criminal Mischief under 2C:17.3 ( state law ). If you are advised otherwise when you call the police, ask to speak to the on-duty Captain.

Sadly, Kearny seems to be going down the drain. It has been for some time now. I am a lifelong resident of Kearny and in the past 5 years, graffiti has started to "decorate" our town. I've begun taking pictures of all of the graffiti across Kearny, responding to an article posted in The Observer which stated "Kearny is not a dangerous place". Whether the citizens in Kearny would like to admit it or not, this town is taking a change for the worse. It has nothing to do with race, religion, or who's "coming and going" out of Kearny, but the lack of law enforcement in this town! I'm not bashing KPD by any means, but when the cops are notified numerous times by various people, you think something would be done.

I think the parents should actually parent their children instead of leaving it up to the police to do. If you have a kid who is under 18 , he or she probably should not be roaming the streets after 10 anyway, unless they have a specific place to go or thing to do. If the kearny police locked up every child for curfew violations there would be no police to arrest criminals. Once a child is arrested, the parents need to be tracked down, and then they have to pick the kid up. Sounds easy, but 9 out of 10 times the parents are nowhere to be found , which is why the kids are roaming the streets in the first place. The police department is not the public baby sitters club. If you see someone spray painting the walls , call the police.

Guest Just the Facts
You wont't see anything now from the mayor's office on this for another 4 years. After he again bought his way into this past election, he is going to go back and hide under his rock. Just wish there would have been some new blood in this town. Change is sometimes good, but not when it comes to ignoring things like graffitti. Someone please wake up Charlie Brown and clean up this place?

Its been umpteen years and the old bat factory is still an eyesight. Doubt that anything will be done in my lifetime and I expect to live for another 40 + years.

Mayor Santos set up a Graffiti and Pothole Hotline three years ago. It's on the town web site, www.kearnynj.org

The number is 201-955-7889. There's a crew at DPW that deals with graffiti on public property.

• 1 month later...
Mayor Santos set up a Graffiti and Pothole Hotline three years ago. It's on the town web site, www.kearnynj.org

The number is 201-955-7889. There's a crew at DPW that deals with graffiti on public property.

The town has camera's in public property, No one is prosecuted for Graffiti!

Guest Kearny Resident
The town has camera's in public property, No one is prosecuted for Graffiti!

Wrong, persons are prosecuted for graffiti in Kearny. However, most are minors so they go through the juvenile system. I'll echo the notion posted earlier, where are the parents??