* Commuters:Special Meeting Tuesday

JohnPinho

Mayor Raymond McDonough canceled the regular November 5th Mayor & Council meeting stating that the Special meeting of October 26, 2009 had dealt with all pending town business. Apparently, Mayor McDonough was mistaken or he was simply misleading the public.

Mayor McDonough has scheduled yet another Special Meeting. This meeting is set for 4 p.m. on Tuesday, November 17, 2009. Yes, you read it correctly 4 p.m. The last special meeting was for 6 p.m. and a crowd of vocal residents showed up so, the Mayor has moved the meeting to 4 p.m. to insure their is no public input to "close down some parking garages". Well, it isn't exactly clear what will be on the Agenda for the Special Meeting because the Agenda on the town's website simply states AN ORDINANCE REPEALING ORDINANCE NUMBER 886 REGARDING PUBLIC PARKING LOTS IN THE TOWN OF HARRISON. The proposed Ordinance, however, was not provided.

From what Mayor Raymond McDonough stated in passing at the Harrison Redevelopment Meeting, the Ordinance has to deal with the anticipated opening of the new Parking Deck next to the PATH station. It appears that the Mayor is going to close down some other parking lots to insure that there is enough cars patronizing the public parking garage.

In a prior posting, Parking Deck Unlikely to Turn a Profit, I set out my rationale as to why the parking garage was unlikely to turn a profit. Mayor McDonough, I am guessing is trying to prove me wrong by insuring that the Parking Deck is filled to full capacity by eliminating the competition and/or increasing the parking tax (or both).

Why would Mayor McDonough schedule another Special Meeting and set the time for 4 p.m. rather than 7 p.m. ? Because he is used to doing it. How can the part time Councilmembers get off from work to attend? The majority do not have to take off work. Councilman/Superintendent of Harrison Schools James Doran gets off at 3:15 p.m. Councilman/Harrison High Maintenance Supervisor Michael Dolaghan gets off at 3:15 p.m as well. Councilman/Vice Principal Francisco Nascimento also gets off at 3:15 p.m. Councilman/Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission Employee Larry Bennett leaves early or get some time off. Councilman/Board of Education employee Jesus Huaranga also gets off at 3:15 p.m. A 4 o'clock meeting makes perfect since for these elected officials. Why wait around till 7 p.m. for a meeting when you can get it over with at 4 p.m.?

Mayor McDonough does not expect a large crowd at Tuesday's Special Meeting. The Agenda for the meeting states that it will be held in the 3rd Floor Conference Room at the Harrison Town Hall.

View the full article

Mayor Raymond McDonough canceled the regular November 5th Mayor & Council meeting stating that the Special meeting of October 26, 2009 had dealt with all pending town business. Apparently, Mayor McDonough was mistaken or he was simply misleading the public.

Mayor McDonough has scheduled yet another Special Meeting. This meeting is set for 4 p.m. on Tuesday, November 17, 2009. Yes, you read it correctly 4 p.m. The last special meeting was for 6 p.m. and a crowd of vocal residents showed up so, the Mayor has moved the meeting to 4 p.m. to insure their is no public input to "close down some parking garages". Well, it isn't exactly clear what will be on the Agenda for the Special Meeting because the Agenda on the town's website simply states AN ORDINANCE REPEALING ORDINANCE NUMBER 886 REGARDING PUBLIC PARKING LOTS IN THE TOWN OF HARRISON. The proposed Ordinance, however, was not provided.

From what Mayor Raymond McDonough stated in passing at the Harrison Redevelopment Meeting, the Ordinance has to deal with the anticipated opening of the new Parking Deck next to the PATH station. It appears that the Mayor is going to close down some other parking lots to insure that there is enough cars patronizing the public parking garage.

In a prior posting, Parking Deck Unlikely to Turn a Profit, I set out my rationale as to why the parking garage was unlikely to turn a profit. Mayor McDonough, I am guessing is trying to prove me wrong by insuring that the Parking Deck is filled to full capacity by eliminating the competition and/or increasing the parking tax (or both).

Why would Mayor McDonough schedule another Special Meeting and set the time for 4 p.m. rather than 7 p.m. ? Because he is used to doing it. How can the part time Councilmembers get off from work to attend? The majority do not have to take off work. Councilman/Superintendent of Harrison Schools James Doran gets off at 3:15 p.m. Councilman/Harrison High Maintenance Supervisor Michael Dolaghan gets off at 3:15 p.m as well. Councilman/Vice Principal Francisco Nascimento also gets off at 3:15 p.m. Councilman/Passaic Valley Sewerage Commission Employee Larry Bennett leaves early or get some time off. Councilman/Board of Education employee Jesus Huaranga also gets off at 3:15 p.m. A 4 o'clock meeting makes perfect since for these elected officials. Why wait around till 7 p.m. for a meeting when you can get it over with at 4 p.m.?

Mayor McDonough does not expect a large crowd at Tuesday's Special Meeting. The Agenda for the meeting states that it will be held in the 3rd Floor Conference Room at the Harrison Town Hall.

View the full article

For your information and guidance, it's not about YOU. The plan for several years has been to get as many of the commuters into the garage as possible, to pay for it and actually create a demand for a second tiered parking garage for the stadium eventually. As someone who has been involved for years, I've known this for several years now.

Guest hockeynut

Mcd acts like he's the dictator of a small latin american country.He needs to have the shining light of public scrutiny focused on him.I have no doubt that if tv cameras were shoved in his face while tough questions were asked he will change his tune.