* LusoAmericano Newspaper: Chaos & Agitation At Harrison Council M

JohnPinho

The Portuguese-American Newspaper LusoAmericano ran a story entitled Chaos & Agitation At Harrison Council Meeting in today's October 9, 2009 Edition. The full page story was on page four and was accompanied by a picture of the members of the Mayor & Council and the large crowd holding up handmade signs stating With Time of Crisis ? Why ? protesting ever increasing property taxes and special deals and tax abatements for Redevelopers.

The article written by veteran reporter and Portuguese television personality, Luis Pires, captured the substance and atmosphere of the meeting. It is refreshing to read an article put together by a veteran news person. The LusoAmericano is read widely by the Portuguese American community both locally and throughout the United States.

The picture of the crowd accompanying the article was taken at the time I was addressing the Mayor & Council. It captures the anti-property tax protesters raising their handmade signs and a town employee giving me the thumbs down. I expect that there will be even a larger crowd at the November Mayor & Council meeting. Several protesters came up to me after the meeting and thanked me for asking questions. They promised to be back and wanted to confirm the meetings date which was contained on literature circulated by one of the protestors.

Sign up for email notification of new posts on this site or check back frequently because the Mayor has been known to schedule Special Meetings on short notice. He promised that the discussion of the Harrison Commons bonding would be at a Regular Mayor & Council meeting but there have been too many Special Mayor & Council meetings in the past year for me to relax and wait for the next Regular meeting. As soon as I learn of a meeting date, I will post it here.

View the full article

The Portuguese-American Newspaper LusoAmericano ran a story entitled Chaos & Agitation At Harrison Council Meeting in today's October 9, 2009 Edition. The full page story was on page four and was accompanied by a picture of the members of the Mayor & Council and the large crowd holding up handmade signs stating With Time of Crisis ? Why ? protesting ever increasing property taxes and special deals and tax abatements for Redevelopers.

The article written by veteran reporter and Portuguese television personality, Luis Pires, captured the substance and atmosphere of the meeting. It is refreshing to read an article put together by a veteran news person. The LusoAmericano is read widely by the Portuguese American community both locally and throughout the United States.

The picture of the crowd accompanying the article was taken at the time I was addressing the Mayor & Council. It captures the anti-property tax protesters raising their handmade signs and a town employee giving me the thumbs down. I expect that there will be even a larger crowd at the November Mayor & Council meeting. Several protesters came up to me after the meeting and thanked me for asking questions. They promised to be back and wanted to confirm the meetings date which was contained on literature circulated by one of the protestors.

Sign up for email notification of new posts on this site or check back frequently because the Mayor has been known to schedule Special Meetings on short notice. He promised that the discussion of the Harrison Commons bonding would be at a Regular Mayor & Council meeting but there have been too many Special Mayor & Council meetings in the past year for me to relax and wait for the next Regular meeting. As soon as I learn of a meeting date, I will post it here.

View the full article

thanks, bout time one of the local papers realizes what the issues are in Harrison. The Observer is obviously being fed info by Mcdonout and Doran that only diverts people from the issues at hand. Can someone fix this problem of security and safety of Harrison? wait I know the DPW will come to our rescue, with their scratch offs in hand and their ****** to Catchabrone.

View the full article

The Luso Americano is real newspaper. The Observer is a feel good everything is wonderful rag. It does not see it's function as that of the crusading local newspaper.

The Observer will not do any real investigative reporting.

The above facts lead to a breakdown in the communities it serves .

Is The Harrison Police Department undermanned as alleged here. The Observer should follow up with a fact finding story.

The Kearny elections are going on with no real coverage by the Observer.

The Observer covers these issues of importance to the area communities, like a very poor high school newspaper. They either ignore them or give them very poor coverage.

I would like to challenge to Observer to do a real investigative piece on any of the real issues of concern to the area.

Eagle

Guest *resident*

only problem, most people in this town speak english, time for all of these foreign faction learn to adress us in our own tounge if they want us to read their paper. you have come to america , so now finish your transformation into american citizens. all nationalities have done this in past and you should not be an eception.

only problem, most people in this town speak english, time for all of these foreign faction learn to adress us in our own tounge if they want us to read their paper. you have come to america , so now finish your transformation into american citizens. all nationalities have done this in past and you should not be an eception.

The Luso does have an English section. The paper's name says it all Luso Americano. It's a Portuguese language paper in America.

John Pinho speaks English and Portuguese so he can translate the article for you. He can probably also teach you how to spell "tongue" and "exception".

A lot more folks speak Spanish and Portuguese than ever before in Harrison. Pinho speaks all three languages. All he needs now is to speak Chinese.

Sorry to correct you, but most people in this town do not speak English, maybe broken English but they speak some foreign language such as Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Indian and others. English is the minority language spoken haven't you realized that? I don't mind that but I do mind that if people are given jobs that have to do with dealing with the public, then they should know how to speak the language so that we can understand what the heck they are saying. Did you ever heard Mr. Nazimento speak? (he is a teacher and principal of a school) - have you ever listened to Mr. Huranga speak? (he is working for the BOE making phone calls to parents addressing health care,people cant understand him. There was a woman working in dispatch that had to ask coworkers to translate the emergency call that she received!!!!!!! go figure

Guest *resident*
Sorry to correct you, but most people in this town do not speak English, maybe broken English but they speak some foreign language such as Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Indian and others. English is the minority language spoken haven't you realized that? I don't mind that but I do mind that if people are given jobs that have to do with dealing with the public, then they should know how to speak the language so that we can understand what the heck they are saying. Did you ever heard Mr. Nazimento speak? (he is a teacher and principal of a school) - have you ever listened to Mr. Huranga speak? (he is working for the BOE making phone calls to parents addressing health care,people cant understand him. There was a woman working in dispatch that had to ask coworkers to translate the emergency call that she received!!!!!!! go figure

the facts you have given most likley are true, that proves my point , isn't sad that at this point in time we have to have a need for translators to help conduct business or any kind of communication with the non speaking residents in town who call themselves citizens. shame on you all and you want to call your selves americans.

the facts you have given most likley are true, that proves my point , isn't sad that at this point in time we have to have a need for translators to help conduct business or any kind of communication with the non speaking residents in town who call themselves citizens. shame on you all and you want to call your selves americans.

Listen, when my Grandparents came to this country they HAD to learn English. There were no interperters. If you want to call yourself an American and reap all the benefits, the least you can do is learn to speak GOOD English so you can be understood. Besides these people who can hardly speak English don't call American thier country they still call Spain, South America, Brazil where ever they came from thier country eventhough they are here making our money and taking our jobs and collecting our Social Security in their country when they retire. I am sick of it!

Guest Flabbergasted

Holy crap! Did you seriously post this? Have you ever been to school? Were you awake?

Now I don't usually masquerade as the grammer policeman here but...... the content of your post begs for acknowledgement. I'm sorry it's screaming!

Holy crap! Did you seriously post this? Have you ever been to school? Were you awake?

Now I don't usually masquerade as the grammer policeman here but...... the content of your post begs for acknowledgement. I'm sorry it's screaming!

I agree! Dude, WATCH OUT -- your ignorance is showing!! Your writing and people skills are a MESS. I'm willing to bet that most members of the "foreign faction" could write more intelligently in English than you can. I shudder to think that you are holding yourself up as an example of someone who has completed the "transformation" into an American citizen.

Guest *resident*

Grammar use and spelling is not the issue, don't use that as an exuse to turn away from the real problem of our town and country folding and bending to the people who are so easily willing to sell out and defend the use of other than english to be used. YOU will all be the same people who will be complaining when the country is lost , and we will understand how the American Indian felt when they were sent to reservations because they were not wanted as part of the new civilization running this country. YOU ARE ALL SELLOUTS AND SHOULD BE ASHAMED .

Grammar use and spelling is not the issue, don't use that as an exuse to turn away from the real problem of our town and country folding and bending to the people who are so easily willing to sell out and defend the use of other than english to be used. YOU will all be the same people who will be complaining when the country is lost , and we will understand how the American Indian felt when they were sent to reservations because they were not wanted as part of the new civilization running this country. YOU ARE ALL SELLOUTS AND SHOULD BE ASHAMED .

GET HELP -- PLEASE!!

Guest seashell

just accept the idea that this is the UNITED STATE OF AMERICA if you don't like it leave and go to a country where you do not have ane other languge English we are very happy, we accept any language and we try to communicate, you are the one with the problem , my gramar is not good, my spelling is not good, an that is very simple I had to work, no much time or money so what Iknow I learned in High School classes at night. And like I said before go to a Country where you only have Inglish speaking people.