Governor Debate

Guest Guest

So who do you think won the Governor debate last night?

Daggett performed well. He was a bit "unpolished" but he's the only one so far that has actually offered a detailed written plan on how he will lower property taxes.

Corzine defended his record. I'm not sure how that will play with voters considering that property taxes continue to rise. On issues other than taxes, he did a pretty good job of reminding people of his accomplishments with regard to balancing the budget, cutting spending in some areas, and providing more aid for education. Again, I'm not sure if that will be enough for him to win re-election.

Christie continued his trend of dodging the questions that ask for specifics on how he will turn things around. When asked those kinds of questions, he just reiterated his attacks on Corzine. That worked for him in the primary but it is looking like people are tiring of it as evidenced by Corzine closing the gap in recent polls. Christie also has to stop using scare tactics - he kept accusing Daggett of trying to raise taxes by $ 4 billion. Daggett had to keep correcting him by telling folks that he doesn't intend to raise taxes at all. Rather, his plan would re-balance the way taxes are assessed in the state. Taxes for some things would be lowered and would be raised for other things. There would be no additional taxes in this particular plan. If Christie bothers to read the plan, he'd know that.

So, I was undecided before the debate. I still am. None of the candidates overly impressed me. But at least the debate was civil - no real insults or attacks on the stage. But I'm sure they will continue to attack each other in the commercials.

And don't be surprised if Corzine and Christie start hurling mud at Daggett now.

Guest 2smart4u
Corzine, hands down. He's the one who actually knows how to govern and it showed.

Highest property taxes and highest auto insurance rates in the US have convinced me.

Daggett performed well. He was a bit "unpolished" but he's the only one so far that has actually offered a detailed written plan on how he will lower property taxes.

Corzine defended his record. I'm not sure how that will play with voters considering that property taxes continue to rise. On issues other than taxes, he did a pretty good job of reminding people of his accomplishments with regard to balancing the budget, cutting spending in some areas, and providing more aid for education. Again, I'm not sure if that will be enough for him to win re-election.

Christie continued his trend of dodging the questions that ask for specifics on how he will turn things around. When asked those kinds of questions, he just reiterated his attacks on Corzine. That worked for him in the primary but it is looking like people are tiring of it as evidenced by Corzine closing the gap in recent polls. Christie also has to stop using scare tactics - he kept accusing Daggett of trying to raise taxes by $ 4 billion. Daggett had to keep correcting him by telling folks that he doesn't intend to raise taxes at all. Rather, his plan would re-balance the way taxes are assessed in the state. Taxes for some things would be lowered and would be raised for other things. There would be no additional taxes in this particular plan. If Christie bothers to read the plan, he'd know that.

So, I was undecided before the debate. I still am. None of the candidates overly impressed me. But at least the debate was civil - no real insults or attacks on the stage. But I'm sure they will continue to attack each other in the commercials.

And don't be surprised if Corzine and Christie start hurling mud at Daggett now.

Am I to believe that you think Christie is slinging more mud than Corzine? Neither candidate is clean here, but Christie's negative ads are based on where we are as a state. Hell, Corzine tried to make political hay of a loan made by Christie, (while I don't condone the loan, or the failure to report) I find it completely dishonest when Corzine lent OVER TEN TIMES that amount to the President of the CWA at the time. Corzine "balanced the budget" on a federal bailout, and if that money is not here again next year, then our problems have only compounded. I have yet to see Corzine make a tough decision. The only job growth in this state under Corzine seems to be the number of Government jobs, which are paid for by us. I also enjoyed the increase in tolls, the 16% increase in the sales tax, and all the little things that help out the working people. Do you really believe the increase tolls/ sales tax affects the high income earners more than the poor guy scraping by at minimum wage, or $50,000 for that matter? These increases are paid equally by all income levels, and it has to be more difficult for the lower wage earners.

Am I to believe that you think Christie is slinging more mud than Corzine? Neither candidate is clean here, but Christie's negative ads are based on where we are as a state. Hell, Corzine tried to make political hay of a loan made by Christie, (while I don't condone the loan, or the failure to report) I find it completely dishonest when Corzine lent OVER TEN TIMES that amount to the President of the CWA at the time. Corzine "balanced the budget" on a federal bailout, and if that money is not here again next year, then our problems have only compounded. I have yet to see Corzine make a tough decision. The only job growth in this state under Corzine seems to be the number of Government jobs, which are paid for by us. I also enjoyed the increase in tolls, the 16% increase in the sales tax, and all the little things that help out the working people. Do you really believe the increase tolls/ sales tax affects the high income earners more than the poor guy scraping by at minimum wage, or $50,000 for that matter? These increases are paid equally by all income levels, and it has to be more difficult for the lower wage earners.

What I was saying is that Christie still hasn't given specific answers to the tough questions - "how will he lower property taxes?" "what specific spending would he cut", etc. He just keeps attacking Corzine's record but, thus far, we have seen no specific plans from him on how he will make things better.

I'm not thrilled with Corzine's record but this nonsense about blaming him for the current unemployment rate has got to stop. It's not his fault that people are unemployed. At the same time, it is due to the unemployment that income tax receivables will be at record lows. How can any candidate realistically believe that he can actually lower taxes when faced with a revenue shortfall of this magnitude?

And is the 16% increase in the sales tax really killing you? C'mon now. Do you really scrutinize your receipts that much? Does the amount of sales tax ever REALLY prohibit you from buying anything? When you're making a purchase, do you actually calculate what the sales tax will be?

Same line of questioning for the tolls - are you going to stop traveling on the Turnpike or Parkway because tolls are raised?

As for personal loans given by candidates, I could really care less. That doesn't affect me or my family one damn bit. I wish they all would move on to things that actually matter.

What I was saying is that Christie still hasn't given specific answers to the tough questions - "how will he lower property taxes?" "what specific spending would he cut", etc. He just keeps attacking Corzine's record but, thus far, we have seen no specific plans from him on how he will make things better.

I'm not thrilled with Corzine's record but this nonsense about blaming him for the current unemployment rate has got to stop. It's not his fault that people are unemployed. At the same time, it is due to the unemployment that income tax receivables will be at record lows. How can any candidate realistically believe that he can actually lower taxes when faced with a revenue shortfall of this magnitude?

And is the 16% increase in the sales tax really killing you? C'mon now. Do you really scrutinize your receipts that much? Does the amount of sales tax ever REALLY prohibit you from buying anything? When you're making a purchase, do you actually calculate what the sales tax will be?

Same line of questioning for the tolls - are you going to stop traveling on the Turnpike or Parkway because tolls are raised?

As for personal loans given by candidates, I could really care less. That doesn't affect me or my family one damn bit. I wish they all would move on to things that actually matter.

The point about the taxes and tolls is only that it is MORE prohibitive to those where every dollar counts. But for me, NO, it isn't debilitating. But, when the Democrats claim to champion the causes of the working man, here is an instance where they get hit the hardest.

Specifics, very few run on specifics. Fewer still have success at it.

The point about the taxes and tolls is only that it is MORE prohibitive to those where every dollar counts. But for me, NO, it isn't debilitating. But, when the Democrats claim to champion the causes of the working man, here is an instance where they get hit the hardest.

Higher taxes and tolls are indeed prohibitive. But things cost money. How would you raise money for the things that we need to do?

No one likes higher taxes but you can't build things for free. And yes, even job creation costs money. Lots of it.

There are no easy answers. NJ is an expensive state. An adjustment on spending is overdue. But who should decide what the priorities should be? Should we let our schools fail just to save a few bucks? Should we let our highways and bridges fall apart because we pinched pennies a little too much?

People want lower taxes but they are never willing to trade something off for the savings.

As long as the cost of doing business continues to rise, so will our taxes. That's reality.

Guest Studies and Observations
Higher taxes and tolls are indeed prohibitive. But things cost money. How would you raise money for the things that we need to do?

No one likes higher taxes but you can't build things for free. And yes, even job creation costs money. Lots of it.

There are no easy answers. NJ is an expensive state. An adjustment on spending is overdue. But who should decide what the priorities should be? Should we let our schools fail just to save a few bucks? Should we let our highways and bridges fall apart because we pinched pennies a little too much?

People want lower taxes but they are never willing to trade something off for the savings.

As long as the cost of doing business continues to rise, so will our taxes. That's reality.

Corzine PLEDGED to address the rampant corruption in Trenton. he has not done so. If he HAD Addressed that corruption, cleaning up the no-show multiple jobs, and multiple pentions, and runaway waste on EVERY level of the state government then we wouldnt have the money issues we have. Corzine had his shot, and he Blew it, pure and simple. Time to put someone else in and see if they can do better. if nor then boot THEM out..until we get someone who actually gives more of a damn for the taxpayers than the lobbyists and scumbags sextuple-dipping.

You're still missing the point. These increased expenses are difficult for everyone,yes, but they are MORE difficult for the poorer people. Imagine scraping by in NJ and facing these increased fees. I am not complaining about MY taxes, (except the homestead rebate, that's a different joke; why not just CUT the property tax by that amount rather than hold it interest free for the year), but the burden itself.

If you think Chris Give-the-insurance-companies-anything-they-want Christie is the answer to your problems, then you're not very smart.

You're still missing the point. These increased expenses are difficult for everyone,yes, but they are MORE difficult for the poorer people. Imagine scraping by in NJ and facing these increased fees. I am not complaining about MY taxes, (except the homestead rebate, that's a different joke; why not just CUT the property tax by that amount rather than hold it interest free for the year), but the burden itself.

Of course they will be more difficult for low-income folks. Again, what is the trade-off for lower taxes? There are no easy answers to this question - not for anyone. Something will have to be sacrificed for lower taxes. The problem is that no one wants to ever give anything up.

Corzine PLEDGED to address the rampant corruption in Trenton. he has not done so. If he HAD Addressed that corruption, cleaning up the no-show multiple jobs, and multiple pentions, and runaway waste on EVERY level of the state government then we wouldnt have the money issues we have. Corzine had his shot, and he Blew it, pure and simple. Time to put someone else in and see if they can do better. if nor then boot THEM out..until we get someone who actually gives more of a damn for the taxpayers than the lobbyists and scumbags sextuple-dipping.

I'm with you on the double-dipping. It has to stop. But that would require an amendment to our state constitution - something that is never easy to do.

NJ has some corrupt politicians - no question about that. But to tie our financial situation solely to political corruption is not at all accurate or helpful. There are many more variables.

Bad idea. Christie is in the insurance companies' pockets. If he gets in, regular people will be worse off.

I'm with you on the double-dipping. It has to stop. But that would require an amendment to our state constitution - something that is never easy to do.

NJ has some corrupt politicians - no question about that. But to tie our financial situation solely to political corruption is not at all accurate or helpful. There are many more variables.

To be completely fair, ending double dipping is one of Corzine's accomplishments, although it was one of those "from now on" type of deals. What I found incredible was he announced this before the state assembly admonishing the double dippers, and they all APPLAUDED. And I kept thinking, guys, I think he's talking about all of you.

Unfortunately, it was lost on them.