What happened to my America?

Guest Paul

Growing up as a child in the 1960s, I would not have imagined that I would ever see what is happening today. Opposition to health care reform is being promoted by a series of blatant lies. There are legitimate points to be discussed but "death panels" and comparisons to Hitler are not among them.

The promoters of the lies don't even care that they are lying. The tactic has worked before, so they are trying it again.

Too often, "what happened to my America" refers to the fears among some people that the President is black. Instead of being about the merits of legislation, opposition to health care reform is an opportunity, for many, to weaken the President politically.

My America won't work like this, and neither will yours. Let's take a stand with our friends and neighbors, and make it clear that this is not the kind of behavior we expect in our America.

Guest 2smart4u
Growing up as a child in the 1960s, I would not have imagined that I would ever see what is happening today. Opposition to health care reform is being promoted by a series of blatant lies. There are legitimate points to be discussed but "death panels" and comparisons to Hitler are not among them.

The promoters of the lies don't even care that they are lying. The tactic has worked before, so they are trying it again.

Too often, "what happened to my America" refers to the fears among some people that the President is black. Instead of being about the merits of legislation, opposition to health care reform is an opportunity, for many, to weaken the President politically.

My America won't work like this, and neither will yours. Let's take a stand with our friends and neighbors, and make it clear that this is not the kind of behavior we expect in our America.

I assume you're referring to the vicious attacks by the left on Palin, Coulter, Chaney, Bush, Hannity, O'Reilly, Rush, Beck, etc. etc. etc.

I assume you're referring to the vicious attacks by the left on Palin, Coulter, Chaney, Bush, Hannity, O'Reilly, Rush, Beck, etc. etc. etc.

Toobus look........

Every one of these names you identify emblem precisely the epic mess America has become. Quotations from every one of them are magnificently abundant as indications of their smug elitism, self-serving gluttony, bold lies creative and not, cowardice, hypocrisy, crimes against mankind and the environment of our shrinking planet. This collection of bellowing, educated ghouls you arbitrarily cite to defend and promote in response to a thoughtful humanistic posting is another nugget of evidence that your place here on KOTW is that of a forum punching bag.

Thank you for prompting me to keep active in this venue. I like to keep in shape. :P

Of course, they were the one's doing all the lying. Your a pathetic, sad piece of shit.

WHAT a WUSS you must be to whine that calling a liar a liar is a "vicious attack" :P

Of course, they were the one's doing all the lying. Your a pathetic, sad piece of shit.

It's "you're", not "your". Dummy. The "English as a second language" classes don't seem to be helping you.

In MY AMERICA, there can be a debate about whether or not something is a good idea. Instead, we see anyone who speaks out against the current health care reform as a whack-job, taking their marching orders from some talk show host, or being organized by some lobbying group.

While, in some cases these things may be happening, it is unfair to paint everyone with this brush. My objections do not rise out of what someone told me, or, more ridiculous, what race the President is (I could care less what race the man is). I simply do not think we can AFFORD it, I don't think that the government can make anything more efficient and less expensive at the same time.

I'm getting tired of raising the same points over and over, but government programs are in trouble, Medicare and Social Security are almost bankrupt. Oh, we can all point fingers and say that someone in Congress took money from these programs, which is fair in some way. But, think for a second, if it has happened before, it can happen again. Congress is irresponsible with OUR money, FACT. I for one, want to see this practice end.

Paul, as usual, I disagree with you. This doesn't make us bad people, but BOTH sides need to allow the debate to happen. We, and I really mean THEY, have taken to vilifying the messengers and automatically dismissing the arguments; this helps no one.

It's "you're", not "your". Dummy. The "English as a second language" classes don't seem to be helping you.

You know what ? It's a stupid, meaningless little blog. Why you go hassle a text messenger.

Toobus look........

Every one of these names you identify emblem precisely the epic mess America has become. Quotations from every one of them are magnificently abundant as indications of their smug elitism, self-serving gluttony, bold lies creative and not, cowardice, hypocrisy, crimes against mankind and the environment of our shrinking planet. This collection of bellowing, educated ghouls you arbitrarily cite to defend and promote in response to a thoughtful humanistic posting is another nugget of evidence that your place here on KOTW is that of a forum punching bag.

Thank you for prompting me to keep active in this venue. I like to keep in shape. :P

My first thought whenever I read your flowery, rainbow hued posts is you're gay. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against gays, but you stand

out like a pink-shirted hair stylist.

In MY AMERICA, there can be a debate about whether or not something is a good idea. Instead, we see anyone who speaks out against the current health care reform as a whack-job, taking their marching orders from some talk show host, or being organized by some lobbying group.

While, in some cases these things may be happening, it is unfair to paint everyone with this brush. My objections do not rise out of what someone told me, or, more ridiculous, what race the President is (I could care less what race the man is). I simply do not think we can AFFORD it, I don't think that the government can make anything more efficient and less expensive at the same time.

I'm getting tired of raising the same points over and over, but government programs are in trouble, Medicare and Social Security are almost bankrupt. Oh, we can all point fingers and say that someone in Congress took money from these programs, which is fair in some way. But, think for a second, if it has happened before, it can happen again. Congress is irresponsible with OUR money, FACT. I for one, want to see this practice end.

Paul, as usual, I disagree with you. This doesn't make us bad people, but BOTH sides need to allow the debate to happen. We, and I really mean THEY, have taken to vilifying the messengers and automatically dismissing the arguments; this helps no one.

That's my point. Your statement that I bolded above is not true. There are people speaking out intelligently on your side of the issue. Not everyone has been painted "with this brush."

Based on your post, we probably won't agree on these issues. But I ask you to consider the problems with the non-governmental side. The insurance and pharmaceutical industries wield tremendous influence and have direct incentives to take as much of our money as they can. The fact that Medicare and Social Security are struggling for funds (they are not almost bankrupt) just means that their funding has not matched growth in outlays. Given our aging population, that's no surprise. It doesn't mean that they are inefficiently or poorly run.

Of course, there are inefficiencies in both programs. But then ask the question: what are the alternatives. In my opinion, turning either of these programs over to the private marketplace would not be a good idea, for a variety of reasons. Privately owned insurance companies are very good at taking your money, then not paying claims. The way the insurance industry works, they can usually get away with it. I see this every day in my law practice. It costs them nothing to deny a claim, and most people won't go to the trouble of fighting the denials. So the deck is stacked against the consumer. We can't intelligently evaluate which system is best unless we consider the inefficiencies and inequities on all sides.

I see a stacked deck. In the United States, people are inclined to be reflexively anti-government. This is the knee-jerk reaction on the right. I believe this distorts our thinking as a people and works against our best interests. I also believe that monied interests are playing those sentiments, enlisting the American people in causes opposed to their own best interests.

Maybe you don't fit into that category, but I would be more comfortable saying that you don't if you would (1) demonstrate that you are evaluating the problems with private systems and (2) post your name. This topic is about a matter of general public concern. The discussion it invites is exactly what our Founders meant by democracy. I do not understand why people insist on remaining anonymous, especially on topics like this one.

Guest 2smart4u
My first thought whenever I read your flowery, rainbow hued posts is you're gay. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against gays, but you stand

out like a pink-shirted hair stylist.

Manscape, Gay?? Yeah, I can see that.