Rec Commision

Guest sportsman

Guest sportsman

The Town Rec Commission which is one member short and a new appointment by the mayor will be coming shortly, he should definitly choose a person who has been involved with the activities in town and will act as a person who is in it for the best interest of the town youth. With the recent problems that have been going on with the sports in town this commission needs people that are involved first hand and take charge in decision suggestions to the town. we all know that the rec dept gets blamed for just about everything and the sad thing is that between town hall and this commission it is totally out of there hands. does any body remember it wasnt to long ago that when the programs in town were overseen by the rec dept you didnt have as many problems as you do now? one of the sadest thing is only one person in the rec dept ever gets blamed for any problem when it should be blamed on the people above him that think there failed ideas will eventually work. Mr. Mayor make sure you choose the correct replacements so that sooner or later a body of town hall will work to make the town a little better. ;)

that person should be blamed he is incapable. the whole recreation process needs an overhaul but will not get it due to politics. there have been members of the commission involved in ****** *************, and both men in the recreation department have been subject of **** **************. the worst things about this is the children suffer, nothing gets done

Guest parent
that person should be blamed he is incapable. the whole recreation process needs an overhaul but will not get it due to politics. there have been members of the commission involved in ****** *************, and both men in the recreation department have been subject of **** **************. the worst things about this is the children suffer, nothing gets done

I agree that the Rec Commission needs changes, and I hope the Mayor appoints the right person to the open seat. Not a political choice, but someone who is concerned about the sports programs in Town and sincerely wants to assist in making good decisions.

The Town Rec Commission which is one member short and a new appointment by the mayor will be coming shortly, he should definitly choose a person who has been involved with the activities in town and will act as a person who is in it for the best interest of the town youth. With the recent problems that have been going on with the sports in town this commission needs people that are involved first hand and take charge in decision suggestions to the town. we all know that the rec dept gets blamed for just about everything and the sad thing is that between town hall and this commission it is totally out of there hands. does any body remember it wasnt to long ago that when the programs in town were overseen by the rec dept you didnt have as many problems as you do now? one of the sadest thing is only one person in the rec dept ever gets blamed for any problem when it should be blamed on the people above him that think there failed ideas will eventually work. Mr. Mayor make sure you choose the correct replacements so that sooner or later a body of town hall will work to make the town a little better. :P

What recent problems have been going on in the sports programs?????

Guest Eye Spy
The Town Rec Commission which is one member short and a new appointment by the mayor will be coming shortly, he should definitly choose a person who has been involved with the activities in town and will act as a person who is in it for the best interest of the town youth. With the recent problems that have been going on with the sports in town this commission needs people that are involved first hand and take charge in decision suggestions to the town. we all know that the rec dept gets blamed for just about everything and the sad thing is that between town hall and this commission it is totally out of there hands. does any body remember it wasnt to long ago that when the programs in town were overseen by the rec dept you didnt have as many problems as you do now? one of the sadest thing is only one person in the rec dept ever gets blamed for any problem when it should be blamed on the people above him that think there failed ideas will eventually work. Mr. Mayor make sure you choose the correct replacements so that sooner or later a body of town hall will work to make the town a little better. :P

The sad thing is the way your post was written. Sounds like it could be that guy in the Rec Dept who wrote it. The Rec Commission is actually made up of some pretty good people, who have been around awhile, if not their whole life in Kearny, and have been involved in athletics also. The sad thing is that they don't have enough authority to "police" the jerks that run some of the programs, most of the time for their own benefit. Now, someone for sure will respond that those "jerks" are volunteers and without them there would be no programs. Well, the commissioners are volunteers too, and for all the volunteers who dedicate their time to these programs "thank you" for without you there would be no programs. As for the people who volunteer for you own personal gains, show no respect to the Commission and create anomosity between people, do yourself a favor and the kids of the Town a favor, stay away!

Guest Parent and coach
The sad thing is the way your post was written. Sounds like it could be that guy in the Rec Dept who wrote it. The Rec Commission is actually made up of some pretty good people, who have been around awhile, if not their whole life in Kearny, and have been involved in athletics also. The sad thing is that they don't have enough authority to "police" the jerks that run some of the programs, most of the time for their own benefit. Now, someone for sure will respond that those "jerks" are volunteers and without them there would be no programs. Well, the commissioners are volunteers too, and for all the volunteers who dedicate their time to these programs "thank you" for without you there would be no programs. As for the people who volunteer for you own personal gains, show no respect to the Commission and create anomosity between people, do yourself a favor and the kids of the Town a favor, stay away!

SOME of the committee members have been involved in sports in this town. Others who are on the board are clueless when it comes to how a sports team should be ran. Just because someone works at the rec dept doesn't mean they know about recreation sports. Someone in a previous post asked whats wrong with the sports in town. Well, should we start with the mess called "Kearny Little League" this year. It also didn't help little league to have TWO REC COMMISSION MEMBERS call Williamsport to have an investigation. I'm sorry, I thought one of the purposes of having this wonderful bunch oversee our Town sports is to help solve problems within the town. Do you really think Williamsport needed to be brought in to solve YOUR PERSONAL ISSUE?? I don't. Next time be more responsible as a Rec Comm member. Yes, the coaches are volunteers, and I agree there are good and bad coaches but for the most part people are involved for the right reasons.

Guest *everydoghasherday*

The rec people who spoke to Williamsport about Kearny Baseball did so in order to find out the truth. The problem is too many men who think they know evrything want to have the public believe their every word. The end result lie,lies lies. Maybe when the truth is told things will begin to change. The commisssion has an obligation to find out the truth in matters not to believe what Joe Blow has to say just because he says so and because that's the way it always has been. No! Things need to be organized and run according to rules. And if you knew what you were talking about you would know that there were no rules this year in Kearny baseball. It was make them up as you go. And if you don't believe me I dare you to get a copy of the May and June Rec meetings where the President stands up and tells the commission that they had no rules!!!! They would talk things over if a problem came up. Nice way to run a league and like I said the whole conversation is on tape, Mike Martello makes the copies. Stop complaining about what the volunteer rec commissioners do, why don't you voice your opinion at a meeting better yet volunteer to be a commissioner. The coaches and volunteers in this town are wonderful its the few buttheads that can ruin a whole league and make things miserable for everyone else involved.

Guest Parent
SOME of the committee members have been involved in sports in this town. Others who are on the board are clueless when it comes to how a sports team should be ran. Just because someone works at the rec dept doesn't mean they know about recreation sports. Someone in a previous post asked whats wrong with the sports in town. Well, should we start with the mess called "Kearny Little League" this year. It also didn't help little league to have TWO REC COMMISSION MEMBERS call Williamsport to have an investigation. I'm sorry, I thought one of the purposes of having this wonderful bunch oversee our Town sports is to help solve problems within the town. Do you really think Williamsport needed to be brought in to solve YOUR PERSONAL ISSUE?? I don't. Next time be more responsible as a Rec Comm member. Yes, the coaches are volunteers, and I agree there are good and bad coaches but for the most part people are involved for the right reasons.

Now, to me this post sounds like this individual has a "personal" issue with 2 Rec Comm. members. I wish I had more time to get involved in activities in Town. I have 2 kids in Town programs and although I can't make every practice or game I do check to see if the programs they are involved in have "their" (the kids) best interest in mind. Well it turns out Kearny Baseball, and I call it that for a reason which I'll explain shortly, is not one of them.

I have no ties to the Rec Comm, the Town or anyone associated with the Baseball League and I am writing this as the above post pertains to baseball, but other activities have issues to. I can only say that if you want the Truth on any issue you need to check things out for yourself, because there is constant lying and misleading by individuals.

First, the Commission called Williamsport not to open an investigation, but to merely get a rules interpretation, which opened Pandora's box. Now wether they called because it was a "personal" issue, as you claim or not, the issue pertains to potentially ALL children who enter the program not just to a Rec Comm family member, not to mention, as a Commission which oversees Town programs, they as well as parents have the right to check out any organization in which their children are a part of.

Enough of what action the Town did, I can tell you what I did and I will leave phone numbers for anyone interested to call to prove what I am saying is the TRUTH.

Early in this years baseball season I noticed some rules enforced at some games and not others. Pitching, player participation, how players enter and exit games. Games seemed to be played different from game to game and depending at what field you played rules were different. I called the Town to find out what rules Baseball is playing under and they looked at me like I had (3) heads. I was told to go to the Rec office and they would provide me with a copy of the "rules". I was handed a copy of rules which the last noted update was 1998. After reading through the rules I noticed that hardly anything in there was currently being followed and not really much applied.

There is one particular rule that Williamsport has that Kearny DOES NOT. "Pitch Count" I watched one of my sons games at the North field. The boy pitching for the opposing team was struggling to say the least. I counted 73 pitches in the first inning alone! Williamsport only allows 75 per game for 9-10 year olds, and 85 per game for 11-12 years olds. As if 73 wasn't bad enough for this boy to throw in one inning he continued for (3) more innings until the game was mercy ruled in the 4th innining. How many pitches do you think he threw in 4 innings when 73 were thrown in 1 inning alone, 200, 250, 300? Is this insane?! A poor choice by the coach, but even worse decision by the league not to have this rule!

I called Williamsport myself and they were exremely helpful and very knowledgeable about the "RULES" which are written to "PROTECT" our children as they participate in LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL. When I asked about how we (Kearny) should be doing things he looked Kearny up and told me, to my dismay, that Kearny is not a member of Williamsport. When he heard my disbelief he told me Williamsport has been "hammered" with calls regarding Kearny this year and told me he can only discuss certain topics with the Pres., V.P. or Exec. Officers. He told me that not only is Kearny not "Chartered" this year, but our Charter was taken away from us last year due to "non compliance". I could not believe that our League Reps could let this happen, but it all made sense now by the way the season was going. I asked if Kearny was Chartering this year (2009 season) he told me that we could very easily Charter but we "HAVE TO FOLLOW WILLIAMSPORT RULES" and after he had a conversation with our Pres. he did not think that was going to happen because we don't and won't follow their rules. I wrote above about Kearny Baseball, that is because I was also told that Kearny can not use the words "LITTLE LEAGUE" on anything they have or do because it is a trade mark and if you are not chartered you can not use it. This conversation went on for over 20 minutes and I can't write everything here that we spoke of because of there is just too much. I was also told of some of the benefits of being chartered, such as, free coaching clinics, videos, insurance, background checks, online information for coaches, parents, players and much more. Seems like a no brainer to me to be affiliated with Williamsport. This posting comes at a perfect time, as a team as close to us as Staten Island competes to play in the Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA. Just remember its not about the adults, it's all for the kids. Why deprive our kids of such a dream!

This is all fact, if you want to hear it for yourself call Little League Baseball at (570)326-1921.

Now, to me this post sounds like this individual has a "personal" issue with 2 Rec Comm. members. I wish I had more time to get involved in activities in Town. I have 2 kids in Town programs and although I can't make every practice or game I do check to see if the programs they are involved in have "their" (the kids) best interest in mind. Well it turns out Kearny Baseball, and I call it that for a reason which I'll explain shortly, is not one of them.

I have no ties to the Rec Comm, the Town or anyone associated with the Baseball League and I am writing this as the above post pertains to baseball, but other activities have issues to. I can only say that if you want the Truth on any issue you need to check things out for yourself, because there is constant lying and misleading by individuals.

First, the Commission called Williamsport not to open an investigation, but to merely get a rules interpretation, which opened Pandora's box. Now wether they called because it was a "personal" issue, as you claim or not, the issue pertains to potentially ALL children who enter the program not just to a Rec Comm family member, not to mention, as a Commission which oversees Town programs, they as well as parents have the right to check out any organization in which their children are a part of.

Enough of what action the Town did, I can tell you what I did and I will leave phone numbers for anyone interested to call to prove what I am saying is the TRUTH.

Early in this years baseball season I noticed some rules enforced at some games and not others. Pitching, player participation, how players enter and exit games. Games seemed to be played different from game to game and depending at what field you played rules were different. I called the Town to find out what rules Baseball is playing under and they looked at me like I had (3) heads. I was told to go to the Rec office and they would provide me with a copy of the "rules". I was handed a copy of rules which the last noted update was 1998. After reading through the rules I noticed that hardly anything in there was currently being followed and not really much applied.

There is one particular rule that Williamsport has that Kearny DOES NOT. "Pitch Count" I watched one of my sons games at the North field. The boy pitching for the opposing team was struggling to say the least. I counted 73 pitches in the first inning alone! Williamsport only allows 75 per game for 9-10 year olds, and 85 per game for 11-12 years olds. As if 73 wasn't bad enough for this boy to throw in one inning he continued for (3) more innings until the game was mercy ruled in the 4th innining. How many pitches do you think he threw in 4 innings when 73 were thrown in 1 inning alone, 200, 250, 300? Is this insane?! A poor choice by the coach, but even worse decision by the league not to have this rule!

I called Williamsport myself and they were exremely helpful and very knowledgeable about the "RULES" which are written to "PROTECT" our children as they participate in LITTLE LEAGUE BASEBALL. When I asked about how we (Kearny) should be doing things he looked Kearny up and told me, to my dismay, that Kearny is not a member of Williamsport. When he heard my disbelief he told me Williamsport has been "hammered" with calls regarding Kearny this year and told me he can only discuss certain topics with the Pres., V.P. or Exec. Officers. He told me that not only is Kearny not "Chartered" this year, but our Charter was taken away from us last year due to "non compliance". I could not believe that our League Reps could let this happen, but it all made sense now by the way the season was going. I asked if Kearny was Chartering this year (2009 season) he told me that we could very easily Charter but we "HAVE TO FOLLOW WILLIAMSPORT RULES" and after he had a conversation with our Pres. he did not think that was going to happen because we don't and won't follow their rules. I wrote above about Kearny Baseball, that is because I was also told that Kearny can not use the words "LITTLE LEAGUE" on anything they have or do because it is a trade mark and if you are not chartered you can not use it. This conversation went on for over 20 minutes and I can't write everything here that we spoke of because of there is just too much. I was also told of some of the benefits of being chartered, such as, free coaching clinics, videos, insurance, background checks, online information for coaches, parents, players and much more. Seems like a no brainer to me to be affiliated with Williamsport. This posting comes at a perfect time, as a team as close to us as Staten Island competes to play in the Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA. Just remember its not about the adults, it's all for the kids. Why deprive our kids of such a dream!

This is all fact, if you want to hear it for yourself call Little League Baseball at (570)326-1921.

Seems Leadbeater must have been a better President than you ALL gave him credit for. He always put the kids first

Seems Leadbeater must have been a better President than you ALL gave him credit for. He always put the kids first

My thoughts exactly, "You don't know what you got until you lose it" or in this case, who you have. It's a shame it took one year of poor leadership of Kearny Little League to screw up a program many good people build up over the past years.

• 2 weeks later...

Youth sports in Kearny have become a joke, a far cry from what they were. Everyone knows what the problem is, yet no one will step up to fix it.

Baseball - has anybody seen what has happened to Kearny Little League? OMG! People like Mike Landi, Bob Ostrom and Bernie Pietrucha must be rolling over in their graves. It is a disaster!

Football - All the Generals teams were very competitive in the eighties and nineties, even won a handful of championships. Complete mess right now.

Basketball - Does Kearny have a youth basketball program? If it does, pretty non-existent I would say.

Wrestling - numbers reduced to nothing from what it once was.

Hockey - probably the only sport that has seen any growth, and that is because the police officer Gouneia who runs it will not put up with any crap from RC.

Soccer - last but not least. Still a great program, again because the powers that be will not let RC muck it up. Enough presence on Rec. Commission that they will not let Rec Department get their hands on it and trash that proud program.

OK--->>> once we established the problem and what is wrong, next thing that has to be done is fixing it. We need some people to step up. won't happen unfortunately.

PLEASE FIX THE RECREATION DEPARTMENT. YOU ALL KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS. FINALLY DO IT, FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHILDREN YOU PROFESS TO CARE ABOUT.

My thoughts exactly, "You don't know what you got until you lose it" or in this case, who you have. It's a shame it took one year of poor leadership of Kearny Little League to screw up a program many good people build up over the past years.