Kearny FD (and PD sorta)

doc13mets

As it has been discussed before and we all know. The Kearny Fire Department takes part the Civil Service "Merit" system for the way it hires. A number of years ago the Town of Kearny use to have a Residential Preference, meaning residents of Kearny were put at the top of the list and ranked according to score, then "other" county residents next, then state.

When the NCAAP sued Kearny and a few other towns a settlement was reached and we now hire off a list of Essex/Hudson country residents being at the top.

New Jersey has a combat veteran preference, meaning when they take the Civil Service test they are automatically put at the top regardless of score (ranked among other Vets of course). This is extremely unfortunate as this makes it pretty much impossible for a regular Kearny resident who wishes to be a firefighter/police officer to become one in our town or anywhere else in the county without going off to Iraq or Afghanistan. (I have no problem giving Combat Vets some bonus points on the test, but to give absolute preference makes it impossible to get a job in one of the departments here, but that’s a State issue, I wish the followed the lead of other states and just awarded bonus points).

Ignoring the Vet part. I also think its very unfair that under our current system, for example, a Jersey City Resident and a Kearny Resident who wants to be a Firefighter takes the test. Say both score an 88. The JC Resident has preference over the Kearny resident in getting a job in Jersey City FD and is on completely equal ground in getting a job in Kearny FD. This is a double standard.

I'm a lifelong Kearny resident. I've always wanted to be a career Firefighter. Unfortunately my only chance to do so would be to move.

Reading about what happened many years ago, I feel like the town didn't do enough to protect the residents of Kearny. I have a love of this community and want to serve it. Due to the current economic environment many towns still have a residency preference, they make sure their jobs go to their qualified residents first. Its good for the local economy.

Can anything ever be done to correct this? What’s the benefits of being a Civil Service town? Why not a chiefs town? I really don't understand the pro's/con's, I don't have enough information.

Has Kearny FD ever thought about having a Volunteer Company, for residents, to assist with major fires/rescues. And to bring in additional manpower. This would also offer at least some opportunity for Kearny residents to gain some bonus points as volunteers on the test.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments about this it would be appreciated.

Guest sorta

You must be put to the grueling test of sleeping long hours, crying about money, and if possible, to help, develop an alcohol or drug addicted person.....my opinion to get hired. Fireboy.

You must be put to the grueling test of sleeping long hours, crying about money, and if possible, to help, develop an alcohol or drug addicted person.....my opinion to get hired. Fireboy.

Unfair generalization... and for a moment lets assume your statement were to be true... at least it should be kearny residents complaining about how much work they do and get paid for by our tax dollars and their own tax dollars then give it to some out of towner... But that wasn't the point of my post and to be honest I don't really believe that.

while i understand your upset about not getting the job, the fact remains, you have EXACTLY the same chance of getting hired as any other person taking the test regardless of where they live (and this is going by your statement of NOT counting vets, which like you said is a state issue)...if a person in jersey city is able to pass the written test , and physical test better then you can, then that person deserves the job. its the way it is..

Do you go to only doctors who are from your town, or do you want the dr.'s who scored well in medical school? i'd take the dr with the straight A's rather then the guy who passed only because he knew someone and lived in town...

while i understand your upset about not getting the job, the fact remains, you have EXACTLY the same chance of getting hired as any other person taking the test regardless of where they live (and this is going by your statement of NOT counting vets, which like you said is a state issue)...if a person in jersey city is able to pass the written test , and physical test better then you can, then that person deserves the job. its the way it is..

Do you go to only doctors who are from your town, or do you want the dr.'s who scored well in medical school? i'd take the dr with the straight A's rather then the guy who passed only because he knew someone and lived in town...

I do not have the same chance to get hired as a firefighter.

Because if say I score higher then the Jersey City Resident I will be ranked higher on Kearny's List but not higher on Jersey City's list.

If the Jersey City resident scores higher then me, he/she shall be ranked higher on both Kearny and Jersey City's list.

In conclusion to live in Jersey City (or Newark, or Bayonne) you have a greater chance of being hired as career firefighter.

This to me seems like some sort of discrimination based on residency.

The settlement seems to only hurt overall, Kearny and Harrison residents but helps every other resident in Hudson and Essex county.

What do you call someone who graduates last in their Medical class?? ;)

I would be fine if the state didn't allow any towns to have a "residency" preference. Only when that happens will the system be fair. As of now Kearny and Harrison aren't allowed to have a town residency preference, while every other town around them are (Jersey City, Bayonne, Newark, Hoboken and so forth). Fair? I think not.