congressional arrogance

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Well, it seems that John Conyers, D- Michigan, has decided that READING the bills that he is expected to vote on is unnecessary, since he wouldn't be able to really understand it anyway. To paraphrase, he said he would need a few days and a couple of lawyers to fully understand the impact of the new legislation.

First, he knew what the job was, if he's not up to it, resign. Problem solved.

Second, congress is a representative body, how can they act in the best interests of those that elected them, by voting on something that they do not fully understand. To be fair, this goes much deeper than just Mr. Conyers. This seems to be a procedural problem, as there should be no vote until it is properly looked into. I fear that nothing would ever get done then, though.

Finally, in 2004 Obama, then Senator, decried the administration was pushing through legislation without proper debate or time to investigate the contents of a bill. But President Obama needs a stimulus plan "by the weekend", or healthcare reform "before the recess". Why the rush? If in fact, he wants fair time to have Congress deliberate the small print in the bills, then this sense of urgency is indeed hypocritical.

No excuse for Conyers comments, though. His statement was deplorable. On the bright side, maybe Menendez and Lousenberg aren't the worst elected officials in Washington, seems Michigan is leading the way.

Guest 2smart4u
Well, it seems that John Conyers, D- Michigan, has decided that READING the bills that he is expected to vote on is unnecessary, since he wouldn't be able to really understand it anyway. To paraphrase, he said he would need a few days and a couple of lawyers to fully understand the impact of the new legislation.

First, he knew what the job was, if he's not up to it, resign. Problem solved.

Second, congress is a representative body, how can they act in the best interests of those that elected them, by voting on something that they do not fully understand. To be fair, this goes much deeper than just Mr. Conyers. This seems to be a procedural problem, as there should be no vote until it is properly looked into. I fear that nothing would ever get done then, though.

Finally, in 2004 Obama, then Senator, decried the administration was pushing through legislation without proper debate or time to investigate the contents of a bill. But President Obama needs a stimulus plan "by the weekend", or healthcare reform "before the recess". Why the rush? If in fact, he wants fair time to have Congress deliberate the small print in the bills, then this sense of urgency is indeed hypocritical.

No excuse for Conyers comments, though. His statement was deplorable. On the bright side, maybe Menendez and Lousenberg aren't the worst elected officials in Washington, seems Michigan is leading the way.

What was even more incredible than John Conyers admitting that he didn't read the bill and wouldn't be able to understand it anyway, was his lack of embarrassment in making that statement. How do idiots like this get elected to congress. Oh, wait I forgot, He's a democrat.

Guest Guest
What was even more incredible than John Conyers admitting that he didn't read the bill and wouldn't be able to understand it anyway, was his lack of embarrassment in making that statement. How do idiots like this get elected to congress. Oh, wait I forgot, He's a democrat.

And even more incredible was the chest swelling pride of The Shrub over how little he read and how unaware he was of happenings in the world. WHAT a buffoon!

I will NEVER forget he was a Republican and the complete lack of values he represented.

Guest Keith

I guess the same your "IQ of an ice cube" and war criminal lil' buddy Bush got elected. The first time at least.

Guest Guest
And even more incredible was the chest swelling pride of The Shrub over how little he read and how unaware he was of happenings in the world. WHAT a buffoon!

I will NEVER forget he was a Republican and the complete lack of values he represented.

The point of the post was about a congressman, who, in my opinion, doesn't regard the responsibility to his constituents as a top priority. It was not and is not about Bush.

Stop hijacking the thread, if you don't like the contents, move on to the next one.

Guest Radagast
The point of the post was about a congressman, who, in my opinion, doesn't regard the responsibility to his constituents as a top priority. It was not and is not about Bush.

Stop hijacking the thread, if you don't like the contents, move on to the next one.

Do we also have to agree with you and your opinion of Conyers to qualify to comment here?

Let me enlighten you, if Congress members read every bill from beginning to end they would do nothing but read. That's why they have Congressional Aids and experts on staff. Conyers was just being honest about what happens with every member of Congress. He has been re-elected by the voters in his district for almost 40 years. He must be doing something right.

The laziest worthless politicians are always the ones we disagree with.

Guest Guest
Do we also have to agree with you and your opinion of Conyers to qualify to comment here?

Let me enlighten you, if Congress members read every bill from beginning to end they would do nothing but read. That's why they have Congressional Aids and experts on staff. Conyers was just being honest about what happens with every member of Congress. He has been re-elected by the voters in his district for almost 40 years. He must be doing something right.

The laziest worthless politicians are always the ones we disagree with.

I was enlightened before reading your post, but thanks anyway. And yes, I welcome differing points of view. While your post was RELEVANT to the topic, the post about George Bush was not. It did not address the post, instead it took a cheap shot looking backwards. I think its best we all look forward, just my opinion.

Also, in light of what you wrote, fair to say that the staffers read the bill. Conyers implied he wouldn't really understand it, on such a short timetable; that also, is the job of his staffers to competently interpret the fine print for him. If they can not, or did not in the past, then he needs new staffers.

Guest Guest

He has been re-elected by the voters in his district for almost 40 years. He must be doing something right.

I don't know about this. It's possible that the voters are dense. Look at Ted Kennedy, a murderer, has been reelected how many times?

An informed electorate is one of America's greatest strengths, it is also a myth. November 2008 is proof enough for me.

Guest 2smart4u
He has been re-elected by the voters in his district for almost 40 years. He must be doing something right.

I don't know about this. It's possible that the voters are dense. Look at Ted Kennedy, a murderer, has been reelected how many times?

An informed electorate is one of America's greatest strengths, it is also a myth. November 2008 is proof enough for me.

He's been re-elected for almost 40 years because he's from a predominently black district, period.

Guest Guest
While your post was RELEVANT to the topic, the post about George Bush was not. It did not address the post, instead it took a cheap shot looking backwards.

Unfortunately, it does address the point. Most Americans have chosen sides. That's what our political system has been reduced to. The Democrats are bad and the Republicans are worse.

It does matter that one party has been taken over by lunatics who still insist that Obama wasn't born in the USA. They can't accept that a black man is President. We have a proud history of being one of the few countries in history to right a wrong like slavery on our own. But we also have the history of slavery, and unfortunately there is still a lot of racism here.