Elm Dodge on CBS Evening News

KOTW

Guest Paul
Elm Dodge was featured on the CBS Evening News.

Click here to go to our front page for the telecast.

After reading our take on the closure, tell us what you think?

I agree with the 1:00 guest. I also think that we need to rethink how we are going to build an economy that supports everyone in a sustainable way. We must look for more than just immediate personal gain, the way Americans did during World War II. Patriotism must take on this meaning again.

Guest Guest

Thank you for bringing this up. It's not only this dealership but 800 others. Don't Americans get it? The government is putting out of business people who have devoted their entire lives to building a business. Their paychecks and the paychecks they pay their employees are EARNED through the hard work of selling and repairing cars. These local business people are vital to the community in the sense that they employee people who then spend their money in the towns they live, they donate things to the community and they pay TAXES. Many, Many TAXES! People who work for the state or federal government don't produce anything. They work hard, but they get their money from the taxes everybody pays. The local business person doesn't have a guaranteed paycheck every week for themselves or their employees. They have to sell product in order to earn their money. I am very afraid for this country when the government can come in and shut down private companies.

Guest Guest
Thank you for bringing this up. It's not only this dealership but 800 others. Don't Americans get it? The government is putting out of business people who have devoted their entire lives to building a business. Their paychecks and the paychecks they pay their employees are EARNED through the hard work of selling and repairing cars. These local business people are vital to the community in the sense that they employee people who then spend their money in the towns they live, they donate things to the community and they pay TAXES. Many, Many TAXES! People who work for the state or federal government don't produce anything. They work hard, but they get their money from the taxes everybody pays. The local business person doesn't have a guaranteed paycheck every week for themselves or their employees. They have to sell product in order to earn their money. I am very afraid for this country when the government can come in and shut down private companies.

Oh, come on. This is ideology, not reality. Our tax dollars went to bail out the big 3. No one likes this situation, but we taxpayers get to say how our money is spent.

Guest Guest
Oh, come on. This is ideology, not reality. Our tax dollars went to bail out the big 3. No one likes this situation, but we taxpayers get to say how our money is spent.

I hope he can stay in business and sell cars, I would hate to see you go.

Guest Guest

I don't understand how Chrysler can take our money because they need our help, then turn around and put 50,000 americans out of work, all of which paid for their bail out. Why not close all dealers overseas to save money.

Guest Guest

Big 2. Didn't Ford take a pass..........

I don't understand how Chrysler can take our money because they need our help, then turn around and put 50,000 americans out of work, all of which paid for their bail out. Why not close all dealers overseas to save money.

Bush did it.

Guest Guest

Closing dealers will not save the auto companies any money. Yet, it will allow them to make more money by charging more for vehicles. These closings will eliminate competition and thus price shopping comparisons. Thus costing us more for each vehicle we purchase from the fewer dealers left in business.

Guest Guest

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those state and government workers pay the same taxes you do. So how are they not producing anything? They pay taxes and work their jobs, the same as you. The government isn't the reason all these car companies are going out of business. The car companies themselves are to blame. Nobody is realizing that without the government these car companies would be completely gone... Thats right ALL of the car dealerships would be gone, not just the 800 or so that were forced to shut down. So you can have it your way or the way things are going. Its either the government pulls out of the car industry and they go completely under and every single person loses their job (including the kearny car dealership) which is your way of doing it, OR The government gets involved and makes the cuts necessary to keep the company going and at least some Americans get to keep their jobs.

You have to pick one or the other? You can't say , "Oh why are some of the businesses being forced shut" Its because they should have been closed years ago, but the auto industry had no clue what they were doing, so they ran it into the ground. Now , tough choices are being made to keep whats left of the industry going.

I do not want to see anyone lose their jobs, but to sit here and blame the government is just stupid, and then to make a case for them paying taxes, and too bring state employees in to it? Sounds like jealousy to me...Guess what, when your collecting unemployement because the car dealership is shut down, those government employees will still be working , PAYING TAXES!!!, while your sitting home contributing nothing.

I for one am not gonna sit here and listen to you cry and whine while you bash public employees. Your statement basically said, that only you pay taxes, your jealous because they get a paycheck every week, government employees don't contribute anything to the community, and they dont earn their money. Give me a break, I would love to see for one week, you to live without any public employees working....NO police, no fire, no ems, no trash pick up, no dpw, no street cleaning, court, jails, transportation, NOTHING.....i'd give you 2 days before you cried and begged for them back...

Guess what without public employees working, you wouldn't be able to collect your unemployment check? because the mail wouldn't be delivered and the office would be closed...So think next time you open your mouth. The auto industry went down the tubes, because of greedy unions, and bad decision making. Thats it, case closed , end of story. People need to stop making excuses for them. Its not the governments fault it was run into the ground.