Layoffs in Harrison

Guest Kearny Journal

I'm prompted to write after reading that local attorney Pinho is critical of Harrison management for holding important meetings such as a final budget hearing at "off times."

Add to that the scathing posting by Blue Tide Backer comparing the archaic Harrison style of conducting town business, again including meeting scheduling that creates impediments for Harrisonians wanting to attend.

Add to that the remarkable period of the battle and resistence of Joe Wood asserting to video Harrison council meetings for all to see.

Furthermore, if only half..........HALF.........of what I read in this forum is true concerning how municipal business in Harrison is run, one must begin to wonder why the FBI isn't involved. :huh:

Guest New Jersey Taxpayer

How can this Town called Harrison have money problems. The rest of the State pays for it's schools. It also receives a great deal of State aid.

It is evident that there is wrong doing somewhere in this community. Where is the State?

This why we need Chris Christie for Governor. I'm sure that a State government led by Mr. Christie would get to the bottom of any waste or mismanagement. You would see any wrong doing exposed and those responsible punished.

Guest Wishin and Hopin
How can this Town called Harrison have money problems. The rest of the State pays for it's schools. It also receives a great deal of State aid.

It is evident that there is wrong doing somewhere in this community. Where is the State?

This why we need Chris Christie for Governor. I'm sure that a State government led by Mr. Christie would get to the bottom of any waste or mismanagement. You would see any wrong doing exposed and those responsible punished.

If Christie didn't bring charges against Harrison officials while he was US Attorney General, although he had ample opportunity to do so, it's not likely he'll do anything as Governor.

Guest BlueTideBacker

We can only guess at the depth of fiscal mismanagement / corruption that exists in Harrison. If this mayor and council were not corrupt, then what is the reason for all the secrecy; council meetings held at odd times, short notices or no notice of meetings, bonding millions of dollars without voter approval, taxpayers not permitted to ask question. If Chris Christie is elected, I will personally send him a certified letter documenting everything I have kept a record of (remember the movie Shawshank Redemption).

Guest Guest
We can only guess at the depth of fiscal mismanagement / corruption that exists in Harrison. If this mayor and council were not corrupt, then what is the reason for all the secrecy; council meetings held at odd times, short notices or no notice of meetings, bonding millions of dollars without voter approval, taxpayers not permitted to ask question. If Chris Christie is elected, I will personally send him a certified letter documenting everything I have kept a record of (remember the movie Shawshank Redemption).

This fiscal mismanagement and so called corruption is what has saved our Town. Without them we would be solvent and therefore we would have to pay for our schools etc.

then we would be in big trouble.

The Harrison Democratic Machine foresaw this20+years ago. that is why they put in place people who are inept and assure that Harrison continues to collect all the State aid it can.

If you had heads of departments who were capable they would upset the master plane. This is why the McCormicks are a threat to the Mayor, Murray and Peter. The McCormicks honesty and abilities could thow off the whole system. This why the machine fights off audits of the companies involved in the redevelopment.

Harrison can continue plodding along as is, until someone exposes it for what it is. A Welfare Town dependant on the handouts from a State which it's self has grown dependant on handouts from the Federal Government. At what point does some Government leader say enough is enough and puts an end to the hanouts.

The dream of a renewal brought on by the Red Bull Stadium is a afterthought of a hangover. How many decent jobs will it breed. The negatives brought out by several police officers such as traffic control and security are real. These officers have been labled as malcontents. I predict the day will come when they will stand back and say "I told you so."

Guest BlueTideBacker

The latest poll has Christie way ahead.

Guest Guest
Would he consider running for Mayor? I would definitely considering supporting him!

He lives in Kearny so he can't run. His office is in Harrison. He is a Harrisonian since he's been here since he was a little kid. He is the only guy that did not sell out of the bunch.

Guest Guest
This fiscal mismanagement and so called corruption is what has saved our Town. Without them we would be solvent and therefore we would have to pay for our schools etc.

then we would be in big trouble.

The Harrison Democratic Machine foresaw this20+years ago. that is why they put in place people who are inept and assure that Harrison continues to collect all the State aid it can.

If you had heads of departments who were capable they would upset the master plane. This is why the McCormicks are a threat to the Mayor, Murray and Peter. The McCormicks honesty and abilities could thow off the whole system. This why the machine fights off audits of the companies involved in the redevelopment.

Harrison can continue plodding along as is, until someone exposes it for what it is. A Welfare Town dependant on the handouts from a State which it's self has grown dependant on handouts from the Federal Government. At what point does some Government leader say enough is enough and puts an end to the hanouts.

The dream of a renewal brought on by the Red Bull Stadium is a afterthought of a hangover. How many decent jobs will it breed. The negatives brought out by several police officers such as traffic control and security are real. These officers have been labled as malcontents. I predict the day will come when they will stand back and say "I told you so."

Are the McComics still living in their illegal arpartment or have they finally paid their fines and made it legal???

Guest Guest
He lives in Kearny so he can't run. His office is in Harrison. He is a Harrisonian since he's been here since he was a little kid. He is the only guy that did not sell out of the bunch.

I wish he would consider moving back. From everything I've read over the years, he seems to be clearly someone with the education, legal & business experience to do the job correctly. Please he seems to care about something more than himself or his bank account. Wow, what a difference that would make. No one who has ever lived in this town can remember an honest, open government. When is the next mayoral election - 2010?

Guest BlueTideBacker
Are the McComics still living in their illegal arpartment or have they finally paid their fines and made it legal???

Is this is the best the Zombies can do? I like the "our leaders" line and also the line about people in Randolph are stupid because Harrison is an Abbott district and is underachieving.

Guest Guest
It's amazing that this entire subject thread (so far) is civil, thoughtful, humorous and in consensus.

What's next concerning decent Harrisonians of good principle vs. shadowy rule of entrenched self-serving Harrison government? :lol:

It is a refreshing thread, isn't it? Look out though, the fire department hasn't made an appearance in it yet and when that happens, it starts getting twisted and bitter.

When is the next mayoral election? Did the infamous cocktail party take place yet?

Guest Guest
It is a refreshing thread, isn't it? Look out though, the fire department hasn't made an appearance in it yet and when that happens, it starts getting twisted and bitter.

When is the next mayoral election? Did the infamous cocktail party take place yet?

you DO realize that the majority of the people on here who purport themselves as Firemen or Police are not, don't you??? It's in the administration's best interests to have all of the town employees at each other's throats. The employees have wised up about it, the PROBLEM is the sheep on here who believe everything they read and every claim that this person is a FF or that person is a PO, when most times it's just the usual suspects stirring up controversy and trying desperately to shift the blame.

Guest guest

The town could lay-off or eliminate one secretarys job or eight crossing guards. The value of the salaries comes up about even. Eight crossing guards at $13,500.00 or one secretary anywhere between $109,000.00 and $115,000.00. In one persons opinion, it is much easier for one person to kick-up to the Big Giant Head than paltry amounts by seniors who actually need the jobs to supplement their pitifull social security payments. It should be interesting, but once again I feel public safety, this time in the form of the children, will be scrapped in favor of the super secretary of the future. Be carefull Big Ray, those crossing guards could cost you mucho mas votes in the future and the sensational secretary and her hubby, both with town jobs, don't live in the H. What a quandry!