High School

Guest in the know

Guest in the know

I am afraid that the High School in like a sinking ship with a Captain who took the last life boat with passengers still on the boat. The Principal did for this School what George bush did for this Country let it go to corruption and favortizm. The moral was gone when he got hired for the position and the staff wants him to leave tommorow. It's that bad. PLEASE LEAVE SO WE CAN GET STRAITENED OUT AGAIN MR PRINCIPAL. Staff ,Faculty and towns people.

Guest anonomous
I am afraid that the High School in like a sinking ship with a Captain who took the last life boat with passengers still on the boat. The Principal did for this School what George bush did for this Country let it go to corruption and favortizm. The moral was gone when he got hired for the position and the staff wants him to leave tommorow. It's that bad. PLEASE LEAVE SO WE CAN GET STRAITENED OUT AGAIN MR PRINCIPAL. Staff ,Faculty and towns people.

Whats wrong with Mr. Somma. I think he was a very disciplened principal.

Wait till they bring back the man from Bloomfield for super.

If you were truly "IN The Know", you would know that the problems in the high school are not from the principal, but from other people in the administration such as VP of curriculum and DC of testing that are trying to sabotage any forward steps that the principal makes.

Whats wrong with Mr. Somma. I think he was a very disciplened principal.

It just not the High school, it’s the whole school system. Here the issue that I know about

- You have one of the highest taxes in the county, 50% of our taxes dollars is going straight to the schools yet we still have low grades scores. If you look at the observer you’ll notices that the surrounding towns raised their score by a lot expect for Kearny.

- The teacher that was teaching his religious beliefs, it took a kid to records his class to get anything done. After they found out it was recorded, there was a policy that no student can record their teachers. Great policy, if I do something wrong make a policy that blocks anyone from finding out.

- That fact that the principal was ONLY a gym teacher before becoming principal. I think you should have an academic background to run a school.

- The fact that you can put a kid in ESL for 5 years that doesn’t know how to read or write in any other language and promote that teacher to a principal is just sick. Not only has the kid lost 5 year of math and other skills that he should have been taught other then ESL, you put him in remedial class for the next few years.

I know other can add to this list, I hope the state can start a voucher system in Kearny.

Guest In the know
If you were truly "IN The Know", you would know that the problems in the high school are not from the principal, but from other people in the administration such as VP of curriculum and DC of testing that are trying to sabotage any forward steps that the principal makes.

Dear people,

I have no reason to not be telling you the truth.It seems that one of the principals pets are defending him for browny ponits with this response. Beleive me the Vp and DC of testing have nothing to do with this so stay on track or sign off. Obviously you don't know what you are talking about .You tryed and failed with your attenpt.SORRY.

blah blah blah blah blah you people should shut up. Al Somma happens to be one of the most respectable men of this community. I think he's doing a very good job as principal of kearny high school, his door is always open to talk to any of the students, parents, and teachers. Always at sporting events, home and away. While you people are working eight hour days, IF THAT, hes working 14 or 15 hours per day weekends included, out supporting our school sports program. Having said all this you people should get a life.

Guest Guest
blah blah blah blah blah you people should shut up. Al Somma happens to be one of the most respectable men of this community. I think he's doing a very good job as principal of kearny high school, his door is always open to talk to any of the students, parents, and teachers. Always at sporting events, home and away. While you people are working eight hour days, IF THAT, hes working 14 or 15 hours per day weekends included, out supporting our school sports program. Having said all this you people should get a life.

You’re a real jerk. He should support our academic programs (what do you expect from a gym teacher). He has so much money to play with and doing nothing for our kids. I wish I can post this girls report card when she was in Kearny High and when she got in Harrison. She doing a lot better in Harrison. 50% of our taxes goes to what, useless programs. Maybe your kid should be in esl for 5 years, or you can tell him to record his class so you can teach him what he missed. O wait you can’t do that either. Hey if you’re a teacher there then you can TYPE when you come in, make sure you type yourself an hour early so you can get some brownie points.

Guest guest
You’re a real jerk. He should support our academic programs (what do you expect from a gym teacher). He has so much money to play with and doing nothing for our kids. I wish I can post this girls report card when she was in Kearny High and when she got in Harrison. She doing a lot better in Harrison. 50% of our taxes goes to what, useless programs. Maybe your kid should be in esl for 5 years, or you can tell him to record his class so you can teach him what he missed. O wait you can’t do that either. Hey if you’re a teacher there then you can TYPE when you come in, make sure you type yourself an hour early so you can get some brownie points.

hey A - hole, first i am not a teacher, second, maybe you should stay home and teach your kid english. The girl would have probably done better if you had paid more attention to her studies. And as far as the gym teacher having money, he earned everything he has. My kids graduated with honors from the high school because we as parents took an interest in our childrens studies unlike you, you moron. So get a life and realize that the board of education made the gym teacher principal of our high school. By the way welcome to America, if you cant speaka the english go back to your country and get an education. thank you good bye moron.

Guest Guest
hey A - hole, first i am not a teacher, second, maybe you should stay home and teach your kid english. The girl would have probably done better if you had paid more attention to her studies. And as far as the gym teacher having money, he earned everything he has. My kids graduated with honors from the high school because we as parents took an interest in our childrens studies unlike you, you moron. So get a life and realize that the board of education made the gym teacher principal of our high school. By the way welcome to America, if you cant speaka the english go back to your country and get an education. thank you good bye moron.

Look if you think it’s right for a kid to have ESL for 5 years, a principal that didn’t teach a real academic class to lead a high school and 50% of our taxes that are going straight to a school system that is not performing then who’s the moron. I don’t think it right for a kid to be in esl for 5 years so some teacher can keep her program going and then get promote for it. I can’t read or write Portuguese because I was born here, but they stuck me in esl for 5 years? I understand that you don’t care, but damn I would hate for any other kid to go through what I went through. Maybe the principal being a gym teacher is just me venting on poor decisions that the school has made, but don’t you want your kids to go to college with honors and not a football scholarship. We have one of the highest taxes around 50% goes straight to our school system yet we have one of the lowest test grades. As far as the girl (which is not my daughter), her studies improve because of the environment in her new school. Ask your kid how was school then and compare it to now. Why do you think they had to put a dress code? No recording classes? Dogs to sniff out drugs in the lockers? In all honestly I wish I had a father/mother like you, but I didn’t because my parent trusted a school system that didn’t really care about the kids that they were teaching. I’m proud that your kids graduated with honors, but the way the schools is going most kids will never know what graduated with honor feels like.

Guest Guest

English

Guest Parent
Look if you think it’s right for a kid to have ESL for 5 years, a principal that didn’t teach a real academic class to lead a high school and 50% of our taxes that are going straight to a school system that is not performing then who’s the moron. I don’t think it right for a kid to be in esl for 5 years so some teacher can keep her program going and then get promote for it. I can’t read or write Portuguese because I was born here, but they stuck me in esl for 5 years? I understand that you don’t care, but damn I would hate for any other kid to go through what I went through. Maybe the principal being a gym teacher is just me venting on poor decisions that the school has made, but don’t you want your kids to go to college with honors and not a football scholarship. We have one of the highest taxes around 50% goes straight to our school system yet we have one of the lowest test grades. As far as the girl (which is not my daughter), her studies improve because of the environment in her new school. Ask your kid how was school then and compare it to now. Why do you think they had to put a dress code? No recording classes? Dogs to sniff out drugs in the lockers? In all honestly I wish I had a father/mother like you, but I didn’t because my parent trusted a school system that didn’t really care about the kids that they were teaching. I’m proud that your kids graduated with honors, but the way the schools is going most kids will never know what graduated with honor feels like.

It sounds like we need to keep all the good and dedicated teachers we can and get rid of the bad ones .

Guest Lincoln Logger

I wonder why North Arlington High School has a full Electronic Flashing Bulletin Board donated (let me repeat that) donated by Kearny Federal Savings and Load and Kearny still has the antiquated one with half the letters falling off that never gets updated. There are news events like upcoming school plays, meetings and sporting events that people would like to know about. I would love an explanation on this one since donated doesn’t involved money they cant use that as an excuse.

Guest guest
I wonder why North Arlington High School has a full Electronic Flashing Bulletin Board donated (let me repeat that) donated by Kearny Federal Savings and Load and Kearny still has the antiquated one with half the letters falling off that never gets updated. There are news events like upcoming school plays, meetings and sporting events that people would like to know about. I would love an explanation on this one since donated doesn’t involved money they cant use that as an excuse.
Maybe you should check with kearny federal and see how to get one donated to KHS!!!!!!

Guest tax payer

Well hears a news flash.There is a brand new one in the field house and it's been there for two years now.This Schools B.O.E. DOE'S NOTHING RITE. All they want to do is nothing to bring up the moral and the student scores.

The high school has a new board waiting to go up. The town is delaying the process.

Guest Lincoln Logger
The high school has a new board waiting to go up. The town is delaying the process.

What does it take to get this done? It's not an impossible question to answer if one really exists. The board should not have to become antiquated before it goes up because of town politics. The one in North Arlington looks very presentable and certainly better to what is there now. Can someone shed some light on this? It is not for anyone person's ego. Who in the town is holding it up and what do we have to do? We are talking about helping these school students in anyway we can and right now doing nothing is the wrong thing. Let's "get'er done" as the comedian says.

What does it take to get this done? It's not an impossible question to answer if one really exists. The board should not have to become antiquated before it goes up because of town politics. The one in North Arlington looks very presentable and certainly better to what is there now. Can someone shed some light on this? It is not for anyone person's ego. Who in the town is holding it up and what do we have to do? We are talking about helping these school students in anyway we can and right now doing nothing is the wrong thing. Let's "get'er done" as the comedian says.

The town has been holding up the installation of the sign because of lighting. Apparently, the planning board is the issue. Notices need to go to neighbors, who may or may not object. This has been discussed over and over again at the monthly meetings.

Guest Guest
The town has been holding up the installation of the sign because of lighting. Apparently, the planning board is the issue. Notices need to go to neighbors, who may or may not object. This has been discussed over and over again at the monthly meetings.

This is great; everyone in Kearny is so focus on the important issue of our school system. Forget about 50% of our taxes going to the schools, forget that Kearny has poor test records, forget that it has a history of promoting people that just destroy the schools, what’s most important is that the schools has a cool sign.

Guest Kardinal Knows

Let's get the sign info correct.

The old sign is completely outdated. The letters were so old the sign company had gone out of business. The students who were responsible for putting the information on the board were getting hurt (cutting their hands) and as years went on letters were missing. The students used their voice at one of the student organization mettings and tried to find ways to lobby for a new sign. Mrs. McKeown signed on to help the students. Mr. Somma also signed on to lend his support. KEARNY FEDERAL was asked to help. They flat out refused....yes you read that right KEARNY FEDERAL refused. When asked about North Arlington's sign and how it looked that NA had a Kearny institution's backing they gave no response. BTW the electronic sign would have costs upwards of 25,000. The students started looking into other options and the Pioneers Club stepped up and donated the sign that was sitting in the fieldhouse. The BOE meeting to thank the Pioneers Club was in December 2007. After not seeing the sign for 6 months...questions started. It turns out the town had issues with the placement of the sign and the use of electricity (how bright it would be and if it would interfere with the residents) So last week started the contraction for the new sign and we are hopeful it will be done by next week. You want to give credit for the sign....the Pioneers Club, Mrs. McKeown, Mr. Somma and most of all THE KIDS are the ones who got that sign.