Kearny settles contracts with big raises?

Guest Guest

:unsure: Kearny has settled its contract negotiations with heads of the town's municipal departments, who have agreed to contribute to their medical coverage in exchange for a 3.25 percent raise in each of the next four years.The health premium concession applies only to employees covered by the state's Direct 10 health benefits program. Kearny employees can choose to enroll in either Direct 10 or Direct 15, another state-run program requiring higher co-pays.

The new contract, which affects 21 job titles, calls for the employees enrolled in Direct 10 to pay monthly fees ranging from $19.60 for singles up to $48.99 for families with children. The employees also pay $10 co-pays under the program.

Employees who have chosen to enroll in the state's Direct 15 benefits plan have $15 co-pays, but pay no monthly premiums for their coverage.

Health benefits will not change under the agreement, according to Mayor Al Santos, who said the pact was negotiated over the past few months. He called the health premium concession "an important and necessary step in controlling costs" during a tough economic climate.

"This reflects a very fair compromise with our employees," said Santos. "The raise is slightly above inflation, but it's a very fair compromise for the Town of Kearny and the employees."

The department heads recently ratified the agreement, according to Santos. Only 17 of the 21 positions covered by the pact are currently filled.

The most recent contract expired Dec. 31.

:rolleyes: No arbitration. How much do they make now? Where is all this money coming from?

:unsure: Kearny has settled its contract negotiations with heads of the town's municipal departments, who have agreed to contribute to their medical coverage in exchange for a 3.25 percent raise in each of the next four years.The health premium concession applies only to employees covered by the state's Direct 10 health benefits program. Kearny employees can choose to enroll in either Direct 10 or Direct 15, another state-run program requiring higher co-pays.

The new contract, which affects 21 job titles, calls for the employees enrolled in Direct 10 to pay monthly fees ranging from $19.60 for singles up to $48.99 for families with children. The employees also pay $10 co-pays under the program.

Employees who have chosen to enroll in the state's Direct 15 benefits plan have $15 co-pays, but pay no monthly premiums for their coverage.

Health benefits will not change under the agreement, according to Mayor Al Santos, who said the pact was negotiated over the past few months. He called the health premium concession "an important and necessary step in controlling costs" during a tough economic climate.

"This reflects a very fair compromise with our employees," said Santos. "The raise is slightly above inflation, but it's a very fair compromise for the Town of Kearny and the employees."

The department heads recently ratified the agreement, according to Santos. Only 17 of the 21 positions covered by the pact are currently filled.

:rolleyes: No arbitration. How much do they make now? Where is all this money coming from?

:angry: ," said Santos. "The raise is slightly above inflation, but it's a very fair compromise for the Town of Kearny and the employees." :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

What about the tax payer? How about being fair to us? We lose our jobs and then our homes and you the Mayor and Town Council talk about being fair???? A VOTE for Santos and ALL THE COUNCIL is a vote to raises your taxes and lose your homes!!!!! WE NEED A CHANGE to somone who cares about us. THE TAX PAYER.>>>>>>>>

When will you people wake up and realize its not the town and councils fault taxes are going up..you live in north jersey, and worst hudson county...taxes are going up everywhere not just here. if you dont like your taxes going up move out of the state because they are going up everywhere.

second, just because you are losing your jobs, and you weren't lucky enough to get a town job, doesn't mean the current employees should be punished because of you. 3 % is actually really low considering arbitrators have been giving 4% to unions in the surrounding areas..

so keep sitting there and crying like a baby, if you dont like your taxes going up then move...you can vote anyone you want in as mayor and guess what, your taxes are gonna go up, your either on the greatest drugs in the world, or your a moron if you think anything else..

When will you people wake up and realize its not the town and councils fault taxes are going up..you live in north jersey, and worst hudson county...taxes are going up everywhere not just here. if you dont like your taxes going up move out of the state because they are going up everywhere.

second, just because you are losing your jobs, and you weren't lucky enough to get a town job, doesn't mean the current employees should be punished because of you. 3 % is actually really low considering arbitrators have been giving 4% to unions in the surrounding areas..

so keep sitting there and crying like a baby, if you dont like your taxes going up then move...you can vote anyone you want in as mayor and guess what, your taxes are gonna go up, your either on the greatest drugs in the world, or your a moron if you think anything else..

People have a right to speak and it sounds like you’re the one crying like a baby, because someone you don’t even know, has a difference of opinion than yourself. Try to see life from where their looking from. You sound heartless and like a moron that you speak of. The day people can’t speak their minds without fear of assholes like you, then we do have problems. Freedom of speech! I think they are right and you are wrong!

People have a right to speak and it sounds like you’re the one crying like a baby, because someone you don’t even know, has a difference of opinion than yourself. Try to see life from where their looking from. You sound heartless and like a moron that you speak of. The day people can’t speak their minds without fear of assholes like you, then we do have problems. Freedom of speech! I think they are right and you are wrong!

why is it they can voice their opinion, but when i give mine im wrong? who is the moron now? So because i do not agree with you, im wrong.? I didn't say anything about the person asking the question, i told them exactly what the problem is. Its the county tax and schools..its not the mayors fault or the councils..im sorry that people do not want their taxes to go up, but im giving them the straight non bull sh*t answer. taxes are gonna go up, unless there is some crazy mass business explosion in kearny, taxes willl go up..you want them to go down? get rid of county government, the county gives nothing to kearny but takes and takes. Sorry if i told it as it is...thats the problem in this country...i hate paying taxes too, and i can bet i pay alot more then you do. But i know thats the cost of living in hudson county..cry all you want, but it will never change...keep telling yourself it will in your dream world and call me all the names you want, but guess what I'm right and your wrong..and I'd love the day to come when you can say im wrong...cause then my taxes will go down...but that day isn't coming so keep babying people and feel sorry for them....it will get them real far...its the same babying that caused banks to give people loans for houses they cannot afford...now i (as a tax payer) is gonna bail them out..this country is going down the tubes....keep drinking your obama juice..

You sound like one of the 17, the Mayor speaks of, yet you don’t identify yourself. You speak negatively about others, yet hide your true identity. You are the coward and I believe a Town employee who is getting more than they deserve and knows it.

No one is questioning your right to speak. All the person said is that your complaining doesn't accomplish anything because taxes are going up all over and if they had gone to arbitration, the workers probably would have gotten more.

My God, you act as though the only thing that matters is you. If your taxes go up, then you think it's everyone else's fault. You don't even think straight, all you do is react like a trapped animal.

You sound like one of the 17, the Mayor speaks of, yet you don’t identify yourself. You speak negatively about others, yet hide your true identity. You are the coward and I believe a Town employee who is getting more than they deserve and knows it.

for the final time, im not saying anything bad about the person who posted!!!!...i'm speaking bad about the causes of the tax problem. what is with you people, its like you are living in some fantasy world. I am a democrat and even im shocked about the liberal left response i just got thrown at me. If you dont know , the liberal left response is to claim they are the victims of some injustice when someone brings a point up or brings up an argument they cannot defend or agree on. I didn't read once where i personally attacked the person who posted...i said , "if they believe that , then they are a moron"..

And on that note, none of you who seem to be jumping on the bandwagon and attacking me have responded to my reason why taxes are so high? i stick by my statement. its the countys fault and school systems fault. yes the mayor and council have a part in it, but you can change everyone of them and you will still have the same problem next year. So lets see if the left wing nut jubs come up with an answer...or will they just cry foul and claim"i'm being attacked for my opinion, boo hoo" such weak minded people its amazing you are americans. Grow a spine people, the world isn't a nice place to live, you need to let things be said and not let everything get you upset...or else you'll be miiserable which i can see some of you are. plus your making it really hard to be a democrat because people like you give right wingers all the ammo they need to push their agenda and frankly when i read your posts i think to myself , more and more that im moving toward the rights way of thinking..and its all your fault..

No one is questioning your right to speak. All the person said is that your complaining doesn't accomplish anything because taxes are going up all over and if they had gone to arbitration, the workers probably would have gotten more.

My God, you act as though the only thing that matters is you. If your taxes go up, then you think it's everyone else's fault. You don't even think straight, all you do is react like a trapped animal.

If someone really wants to start looking into lowering taxes, they should look at the schools. 50% of our taxes goes straight to the schools, and no one seems to be addressing that.

Guest Studies and Observations

Says the person who didnt even bother to submit a screen name... Pot, Meet Kettle. :rolleyes:

Guest Studies and Observations

Lets see, they settled for 3.25% and a copay on their insurance if the employee choses anything other than the cheapest plan. Considering that that is pretty much the EXACT thing that arbitrators have been awarding lately, with one exception. The arbitrators have been averaging FOUR percent awards for Salaries, and the same Helth Insurance provisions. Sounds like the town probably SAVED some money by settling.

Guest Guest
Lets see, they settled for 3.25% and a copay on their insurance if the employee choses anything other than the cheapest plan. Considering that that is pretty much the EXACT thing that arbitrators have been awarding lately, with one exception. The arbitrators have been averaging FOUR percent awards for Salaries, and the same Helth Insurance provisions. Sounds like the town probably SAVED some money by settling.

If this is so , why doesn't the town give all the employees the same deal?

Guest Guest
Because maybe the others weren't willing to accept it?

Really??? You sound like you have inside information. PLEASE Tell us all which departments have

A: Been offered that deal, and

B: Refused the deal, Or possibly

C: I'm ("observer") talking out my Butt because i dont have a clue.

My bet is option C personally.

Guest dave S.
Really??? You sound like you have inside information. PLEASE Tell us all which departments have

i dont know about what hes talking about, but i heard the fire department voted this exact same contract down last year..thats what i heard, im not a fire fighter..

Guest Observing

ALL of the non-settled unions. So the answer is A & B.

As to C, after you speak to the bargaining unit reps, then you'll know you threw a boomerang. Sounds like the reps are not telling you what's going on. Personally, I'm chuckling.

Guest Guest
ALL of the non-settled unions. So the answer is A & B.

As to C, after you speak to the bargaining unit reps, then you'll know you threw a boomerang. Sounds like the reps are not telling you what's going on. Personally, I'm chuckling.

So ALL of the other bargaining units have absolutely REFUSED that deal, is that what you're saying????

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

The Dept. Heads can't negociate! They are not covered by the Unions in negociations because they are management! They negociate all the Union contracts on the managements side of the table. Therefore they can not go to arbitration, whatever the Town offers them they must take. Why do you think the last Fire Chief quit! He had a contract far below what the unions settled for in his own Dept. shoved down his throat by the town.

I beg to differ Towns around the State are freezing Salaries and Raises. They are also keeping Salaries Flat because of the economic crisis. In the Town's where the Unions would not give back of held the Town's to the contracts they had numerous lay offs have occured.

So It looks like your nose is growing!!!!!

Guest Guest
I beg to differ Towns around the State are freezing Salaries and Raises. They are also keeping Salaries Flat because of the economic crisis. In the Town's where the Unions would not give back of held the Town's to the contracts they had numerous lay offs have occured.

So It looks like your nose is growing!!!!!

How do you beg to differ, I said taxes are going up everywhere not just in Kearny, and you said the same thing, so what the hell is your point? I said, its not the administrations fault if taxes go up because they are going up pretty much everywhere in NJ, and you agreed. So make some sense next time your gonna post a message. The fact of the matter is , even in this recession, the town of Kearny was able to offer their employees a raise, instead of having to lay people off and cut services. You have people posting on this message board, crying about town employees getting a raise. The employees are under contract, so the Town has to pay them whatever is in it, these towns that are freezing salary increases are just putting off paying them for the time being. They ARE going to have to pay them eventually in retro money which is gonna hit the tax payer even harder, because its going to be all at the same time. The way the town is doing it now, is smart, they are paying as they go, honoring contracts, and even offering new ones without going through the expensive and long process of arbitration.

I'm gonna say it again, if you don't like paying high taxes, move out of new jersey. Because all you liberals want to do is give away and spend money, but then when your tax bill comes you cry about it. You want your taxes to go down? vote in a republican governor , mayor, ect. Democrats do not lower taxes, they spend and spend. Some how the town of Kearny has been able to spend and spend without selling the farm. Being a republican , I have to give the mayor and council a lot of credit. They obviously are doing something right. I give credit when credit is due.