school lock-down

exbluetider

does anyone have any info re:lock-down in the Kearny and Harrison schools due to suspected Newark gang activity? I heard initiation into these street gangs required the harming of x number of school age girls and boys. I checked on-line NJ.com for info but to no avail. With three grandsons in school I'm concerned where something like this could lead.

Unfortunatley what happened here was hysteria. Yes, there are gang initiations but do you really think they are going to advertise them for a certain day? There was supposed to be a full blown lockdown (meaning noone enters or leaves the building) but that was changed to just keeping the kids in the school for lunch. Kearny & Harrison are not very well prepared for these situations and go into a full blown panic. Our schools should be dealing with these things on a day to day basis and know what to do when something like these rumors come along. However, I've found teaching in a lot of different schools for the past 20 years that they wait until they have a situation before dealing with it and then they deal with it wrong. We shouldn't be running from these things, we should be well prepared for them. We are not.