Illegal Appartments

Guest GUEST100

Guest GUEST100

I believe that Mayor Santos should order a random search on every house in the Town of Kearny to eliminate Illegal Appartments. As a result of the fire at Englewood, NJ and illegal appartments at that house, it is a major risk to homeowners. Mayor Santos should address this problem ASAP!

I believe that Mayor Santos should order a random search on every house in the Town of Kearny to eliminate Illegal Appartments.  As a result of the fire at Englewood, NJ and illegal appartments at that house, it is a major risk to homeowners.  Mayor Santos should address this problem ASAP!

Sorry, but that whole Pesky "Constitution" makes your plan impossible.

I believe that Mayor Santos should order a random search on every house in the Town of Kearny to eliminate Illegal Appartments.  As a result of the fire at Englewood, NJ and illegal appartments at that house, it is a major risk to homeowners.  Mayor Santos should address this problem ASAP!

Yeah... lets just randomly search EVERY house in Kearny.

The mayor could close his eyes, spin around in a circle a few times, when he opens his eyes, the first house he sees he could check for an illegal apartment. I guarantee there will be illegals in there. Whether it be illegal immigrants, or illegal apartment, they will be there ! :)

There just might be something like the Constitution standing in your way there Cowboy! Check it out! It's tgere to protect us from an overzelest goverment!!

Guest Concerned Citizen
There just might be something like the Constitution standing in your way there Cowboy! Check it out! It's tgere to protect us from an overzelest goverment!!

It's odd how the only people that seem to know their constitutional rights are people that are involved in illegal activities?

Guest BushBacker

Typical wacko left, Kool-aid drinking response. In a closely-built town like Kearny, a house fire on a windy night can engulf an entire block of homes. I would gladly invite town officials to inspect my home if it means uncovering a dangerous stacking situation. I think all clear thinking people would agree with me. Of course, "clear thinking" eliminates all the defeatocrats from the process.

The LEGAL way to address this problem is for the concerned citizen to turn over his/her knowledge of an illegal apartment to the Construction Code Zoning Enforcment Dept. at the Town Hall. (Mr. Martello's department. Once that info is turned over to them, they can look into the info and enforce whatever zoning needs to be enforced. They have no right to ask for your name so turn it over to the dept. to enforce.

It's odd how the only people that seem to know their constitutional rights are people that are involved in illegal activities?

Any citizen of the United states who does NOT know the Constitution, and their rights doesnt DESERVE to call themselves "American". Men and women have given their lives for over 200 years so that we HAVE a constitution to protect us. It's people like YOU who amuse me the most...you are more than happy to see the Constitution tramples upon for something that offends YOU, however i'm sure if a Police Officer did something YOU considered a violation of your right's you'd be the first one screaming it at the next Council meeting. IF YOU have personal knowledge, or, reasonable suspicion that there is an illegal apartment, then it behooves YOU to call the building Dept and report that suspected violation, they will investigate and take appropriate action. KPD, as well as KFD Officers report illegal/improper apoartments, or subletting all the time, and all of those complaints are addressed by the Code Dept.

The LEGAL way to address this problem is for the concerned citizen to turn over his/her knowledge of an illegal apartment to the Construction Code Zoning Enforcment Dept. at the Town Hall. (Mr. Martello's department.  Once that info is turned over to them, they can look into the info and enforce whatever zoning needs to be enforced.  They have no right to ask for your name so turn it over to the dept. to enforce.

very intelligent answer and i certainly agree :P:P:rolleyes:

very intelligent answer and i certainly agree    :lol:  :P  :rolleyes:

I agree that contacting the appropriate authorities with any knowledge of illegal apartments is the right thing to do. Let them follow up on the complaints, and stay on them until they do. I don't agree with people renting out rooms, or apartments in their basements to make extra money, I don't think thats the answer, but what is the answer to high mortgages and taxes? It near impossible for the working class to buy a home in Kearny between the prices homes are going for and then the taxes on top of that. Believe me, I do not think illegal apartments are the answer, but between myself and my husband both working full-time, it's still tough trying to buy our first home.

I agree that contacting the appropriate authorities with any knowledge of illegal apartments is the right thing to do. Let them follow up on the complaints, and stay on them until they do. I don't agree with people renting out rooms, or apartments in their basements to make extra money, I don't think thats the answer, but what is the answer to high mortgages and taxes? It near impossible for the working class to buy a home in Kearny between the prices homes are going for and then the taxes on top of that. Believe me, I do not think illegal apartments are the answer, but between myself and my husband both working full-time, it's still tough trying to buy our first home.

Renting out or living in the basement as an apartment is illegal. Same rules apply as to illegal apartments. I understand your plight and some of us wouldn't break the law to help with our expenses. There are residents now living in Kearny that find nothing wrong with doing the illegal routine. It is a mentality that says we own this house and can do what we want with it. If not that mentality, there is the mentality that supports numerous families living in one house. There is a lot of both now in Kearny. It is not the place to buy a house, taxes are very high for what you put up with, and unless you are one of the above two mentalities, you better look elsewhere. Good luck to you.

Renting out or living in the basement as an apartment is illegal.  Same rules apply as to illegal apartments. I understand your plight and some of us wouldn't break the law to help with our expenses.  There are residents now living in Kearny that find nothing wrong with doing the illegal routine. It is a mentality that says we own this house and can do what we want with it.  If not that mentality, there is the mentality that supports numerous families living in one house. There is a lot of both now in Kearny.  It is not the place to buy a house, taxes are very high for what you put up with, and unless you are one of the above two mentalities, you better look elsewhere.  Good luck to you.

I'm have neither of those two mentalities, probably why I'm still renting.....lol

Thank you for your good wishes

would help to also find students illegally attending our schools, this idea was brought to mayor vartan many years ago but to no avail. town employees might have to do more work. every person living in the town should be required to prove residency to town officials not that difficultand you might be surprised at some well known residents benefiting by the current practice of looking the other way

would help to also find students illegally attending our schools, this idea was brought to mayor vartan many years ago but to no avail.  town employees might have to do more work. every person living in the  town should be required to prove residency to town officials not that difficultand you might be surprised at some well known residents benefiting by the current practice of looking the other way

The BOE gets money from the Federal Govt for every student enrolled..THAT is why they are less than enthusiastic about weeding out the out-of-towners.

Guest Guest_FlagMan_*

Hey

You are right on the money!!!!

The Town,and the Board, dont give a crap!!! It means JOBS!!!

For there Family and friends!!!

Vote them --OUT!!!!

Here comes Newark, Trash, trash, trash, and more trash.

FlagMan.

Mr. Martello and crew do nothing..They are MIA...

The LEGAL way to address this problem is for the concerned citizen to turn over his/her knowledge of an illegal apartment to the Construction Code Zoning Enforcment Dept. at the Town Hall. (Mr. Martello's department.  Once that info is turned over to them, they can look into the info and enforce whatever zoning needs to be enforced.  They have no right to ask for your name so turn it over to the dept. to enforce.

Is there really illegal apartments in Kearny, who would have thought. Is there not building inspectors (at least with a pulse) my god call 911 Kearny is being invaded call out the National Guard. Ironbound has declared war on us

• 3 weeks later...

the town does get rid of out of town students and does make everyone prove that they live in town. State aid is calculated by those pesky standardized test scores which takes away from the kids actually learning about things they should know such as art and history and music and takes them away from phys ed.

And to add to the original topic no matter if you have absolutely nothing wrong in your house you should never allow the police in without a warrant. It takes away any right of search and seizure also throws out illegal evidence if they do find something worth arresting you for.

do your duty as a citizen if you think there is a problem make a complaint about it to the proper authorities if nothing gets done become the biggest pain in the ass you can to those authorities until something is done and if still nothing go to there boss and so on.

and to address one last issue in this thread yeah ironbound is bidding war on us. Darn all those portuguese families who move in and fix there houses up really nice and have to look at some of the white trash hell holes on some of the blocks in town. and i am not talking about any multifamily dwellings.

Agreed-They are all biding their time so they can retire off the backs of the taxpayers....Even complaints are not checked out...

MR. MARTELLO DOSEN'T CARE.  EVEN WHEN YOU GO TO SEE HIM AND INFORM HIM OF ILLEGAL APARTMENTS HE NEVER EVEN GOES TO INSPECT. :lol: