KHS Re-alignment

exbluetider

I read an article on NJ.Com re:re-alignment of athletic teams in North Jersey. It would take KHS out of the Watchung Conference and put them in a Super Conference with schools in Hudson County. This would alleviate some of the travel being done now and hopefully make the football program more competitive. I'd like to get a discusson going on the feelings of locals, both pro and con. So give it a shot.

Guest KearnyFootballFan
I read an article on NJ.Com re:re-alignment of athletic teams in North Jersey. It would take KHS out of the Watchung Conference and put them in a Super Conference with schools in Hudson County. This would alleviate some of the travel being done now and hopefully make the football program more competitive. I'd like to get a discusson going on the feelings of locals, both pro and con. So give it a shot.

I am very much in favor of this re-alignment. Being a Kearny lifelong resident and having children come up through the sports program, this change makes so much sense. Making this Kearny football team compete against schools like Elizabeth and Union only puts these student athletes more at risk at getting hurt. Competing against Hudson County teams would make the playing feeling flatter. From where this football program was to where it is today is a complement to this coaching system. I wish them the best of luck; however their present schedule still shows Elizabeth and Union. I hope it gets changed.

Guest *Stevie Nash*

The Kearny Football Program is definitely heading in the right direction. The new head coach is just flat out GREAT. His assistants are all EXCELLENT. The coaching staff is young, enthusiastic and well prepared. The coaches do not cry, they go about their business preparing the kids for the challenging schedule they have ahead of them. Football is in great hands and it WILL turn around under this new leadership. Coach Guerrero is a GREAT choice, everyone will see the difference IMMEDIATELY, I am confident of that. The numbers will see an increase also once we see some on-field success.

As far as the re-alignment, I believe it is a good thing, for football anyway. Mr Millar (who also does a TREMENDOUS job with ALL the programs and student/athletes) is correct in saying we need more information though. What will the cross-over games be? Or are they going to be independent games that need to be scheduled by Mr Millar? What I do agree with is the base alignment consisting of schools from Hudson County. I think this will help our kids with All County recognition and give us more of a local identity within the county and the Jersey Journal. I also think the schools we would be aligned with are more demographically similar to what Kearny has become, making competition more equitable in most sports. The facilities across Hudson County have really been improved of late. No difference going into Jersey City as we already have been travelling to Newark, Irvington, etc.

The administration (Somma, Millar, Ragnone etc...) and Board of Education along with Mr. Mooney has done a great job with the sports programs of late. There has been a re-newed attention given to the many different athletic programs and i think it is establishing a pretty good environment within the school. I think you will see it translate in to some on-field/court/mat success very shortly, in addition to the already successful programs. I think Hudson County will ultimately prove tough for the baseball program though, hope they can sustain their success.

Go figure, it took a soccer guy to get the football team going in the right direction...

Now... if we can only fix that Kardinal Booster Club...

Guest Klan Buster
Don't teach the kids to fear Union and Elizabeth. After all the darkness is spreading.

What "darkness" are you referring to? Please, stop the bigotry, this is 2008 and we are about to have a black President finally, let's move forward please!

The Kearny Football Program is definitely heading in the right direction. The new head coach is just flat out GREAT. His assistants are all EXCELLENT. The coaching staff is young, enthusiastic and well prepared. The coaches do not cry, they go about their business preparing the kids for the challenging schedule they have ahead of them. Football is in great hands and it WILL turn around under this new leadership. Coach Guerrero is a GREAT choice, everyone will see the difference IMMEDIATELY, I am confident of that. The numbers will see an increase also once we see some on-field success.

As far as the re-alignment, I believe it is a good thing, for football anyway. Mr Millar (who also does a TREMENDOUS job with ALL the programs and student/athletes) is correct in saying we need more information though. What will the cross-over games be? Or are they going to be independent games that need to be scheduled by Mr Millar? What I do agree with is the base alignment consisting of schools from Hudson County. I think this will help our kids with All County recognition and give us more of a local identity within the county and the Jersey Journal. I also think the schools we would be aligned with are more demographically similar to what Kearny has become, making competition more equitable in most sports. The facilities across Hudson County have really been improved of late. No difference going into Jersey City as we already have been travelling to Newark, Irvington, etc.

The administration (Somma, Millar, Ragnone etc...) and Board of Education along with Mr. Mooney has done a great job with the sports programs of late. There has been a re-newed attention given to the many different athletic programs and i think it is establishing a pretty good environment within the school. I think you will see it translate in to some on-field/court/mat success very shortly, in addition to the already successful programs. I think Hudson County will ultimately prove tough for the baseball program though, hope they can sustain their success.

Go figure, it took a soccer guy to get the football team going in the right direction...

What "darkness" are you referring to? Please, stop the bigotry, this is 2008 and we are about to have a black President finally, let's move forward please!
"about to have a black president" ??  Don't bet on it.

"about to have a black president" ??  Don't bet on it.

I'd bet as much on it as I would have against your Giuliani prediction, 2dim. (yes, it's stupidly obvious that it's you)

Americans are tired of McCain-Bush policies.

I'd bet as much on it as I would have against your Giuliani prediction, 2dim. (yes, it's stupidly obvious that it's you)

Americans are tired of McCain-Bush policies.

Amazing....we try to start a discussion about KHS possibly moving into a different athletic conference and it degenerates into politics and racism. Is it any wonder why some people won't get involved. Why ask a simple question and get drawn into discussions that absolutely has nothing to do with the subject?

Amazing....we try to start a discussion about KHS possibly moving into a different athletic conference and it degenerates into politics and racism. Is it any wonder why some people won't get involved. Why ask a simple question and get drawn into discussions that absolutely has nothing to do with the subject?

Mark my words that there is a change in attitude in this years football team that will flow down into the rest of Kearny High. This years Kearny football team is bigger and stronger and faster than last years team and if the re-alignment would have taken place this year, Kearny would have been a real contender. Instead of people staying locked in their darkened rooms tossing barbs at things they don't know about, they should go out and see this team in action.

First real scrimmage is Friday, Sept 5th, at 7 pm in the high school vs. North Arlington. Those sure sounds like rivalry and it should be a good test as to where this team is going. The turn out will be good and it’s free so no one has any reason not to attend.

Why don't you lay off the Booster Club? As far as I know they didn't destroy a POP Warner league like you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Congrats Kearny Football
Mark my words that there is a change in attitude in this years football team that will flow down into the rest of Kearny High. This years Kearny football team is bigger and stronger and faster than last years team and if the re-alignment would have taken place this year, Kearny would have been a real contender. Instead of people staying locked in their darkened rooms tossing barbs at things they don't know about, they should go out and see this team in action.

First real scrimmage is Friday, Sept 5th, at 7 pm in the high school vs. North Arlington. Those sure sounds like rivalry and it should be a good test as to where this team is going. The turn out will be good and it’s free so no one has any reason not to attend.

There was excitement in the air last Friday night and it wasn't in the area of crime or violence or any of those things you read about in the Observer. It was Kearny Football and it is back. It was a 27-0 WIN which Kearny hasn't enjoyed in a long time. It was nice to see the Kearny side of the stands full for a home game and that wasn't even having the band there which would have added another 100+ people. Kearny put on an excellent demonstration of how football is to be played. I know the comments afterwards for those who did not attend was that was that it was "only NA", but it was still enjoyable to watch and glad for this program that has come a long way to get to this point. I don't believe that Kearny is a real contender yet but I do believe it will give a lot of teams a run for their money. And as the New England Patriots learned strange things happen that may affect the outcome of this season or league so anything is possible.

Kearny's first regular season game is this Friday Sept 12th at home in Kearny High School Stadium against Lincoln of Jersey City. Anyone who doubt's this teams talent should make an attempt to come out under the lights at 7 p.m. and see this team. It's not the same old Kearny Football. Time will tell of how good this team will be and it would be nice to get some support from people around this town. So please make an effort to come out and witness this Kearny Football Program.

There was excitement in the air last Friday night and it wasn't in the area of crime or violence or any of those things you read about in the Observer. It was Kearny Football and it is back. It was a 27-0 WIN which Kearny hasn't enjoyed in a long time. It was nice to see the Kearny side of the stands full for a home game and that wasn't even having the band there which would have added another 100+ people. Kearny put on an excellent demonstration of how football is to be played. I know the comments afterwards for those who did not attend was that was that it was "only NA", but it was still enjoyable to watch and glad for this program that has come a long way to get to this point. I don't believe that Kearny is a real contender yet but I do believe it will give a lot of teams a run for their money. And as the New England Patriots learned strange things happen that may affect the outcome of this season or league so anything is possible.

Kearny's first regular season game is this Friday Sept 12th at home in Kearny High School Stadium against Lincoln of Jersey City. Anyone who doubt's this teams talent should make an attempt to come out under the lights at 7 p.m. and see this team. It's not the same old Kearny Football. Time will tell of how good this team will be and it would be nice to get some support from people around this town. So please make an effort to come out and witness this Kearny Football Program.

It would be areally nice jesture if the people of Kearny got behind the new coaches and supported the football team. Like eveyone else I'm tired of reading the negative reports about the youth of Kearny. Perhaps a show of support would light a spark that leads to a return of the glory days of KHS athletics. Believe it or not, there was a time when KHS played in what was considered one of the best conferences in the NATION and continuously held their own. So people, get off your duffs and show the kids you care.

It would be areally nice jesture if the people of Kearny got behind the new coaches and supported the football team. Like eveyone else I'm tired of reading the negative reports about the youth of Kearny. Perhaps a show of support would light a spark that leads to a return of the glory days of KHS athletics. Believe it or not, there was a time when KHS played in what was considered one of the best conferences in the NATION and continuously held their own. So people, get off your duffs and show the kids you care.

I'm going to make an effort to attend this weeks game. I used to see the schedules along with the pictures of the players and the cheerleaders in some of the windows of the stores about town but so far I haven't seem then. We are talking about glory days, this team must be something special. I would hate to miss out on it. I am going to give this team a chance and know that they will have one more fan in the seat this week. Best of Luck and GO KEARNY !

This is a big night for Kearny Football. Be there, 7 pm under the lights at Kearny High Stadium. If anything, it is going to be exciting. Going to school today there seeing the cheerleaders greeting the Football team as they enter the halls of Kearny High. There is something new here. Something special. If you aren't doing anything tonight and want some excitement, come out and see. Lincoln is fast and strong and it should be a good game. If not only for the game, there really is nothing better than sitting in the stands on a clear night and looking at the New York skyline. Pack the stands tonight and wear the Red and Black.

Guest FOOTBALL XXX
This is a big night for Kearny Football. Be there, 7 pm under the lights at Kearny High Stadium. If anything, it is going to be exciting. Going to school today there seeing the cheerleaders greeting the Football team as they enter the halls of Kearny High. There is something new here. Something special. If you aren't doing anything tonight and want some excitement, come out and see. Lincoln is fast and strong and it should be a good game. If not only for the game, there really is nothing better than sitting in the stands on a clear night and looking at the New York skyline. Pack the stands tonight and wear the Red and Black.

I WAS AT THE GAME AND IT WAS A CLOSE GAME AS FAR AS KEARNY FOOTBALL GOS.6-0 HALF 24-0 WITH 4 MIN TO GO. NO BACK UP PLAYERS IN

THE GAME.WHY? THIS WAS A BIG GAME BECAUSE THERE ARE 3 GAMES MAYBE 4 THAT KEARNY COULD WIN. NOW THERE ARE 2 MAYBE 3

GAMES THIS TEAM COULD WIN . THE J.V TEAM??WHAT A BAD MOVE PUTTING 9TH GRADERS IN THE BACKFIELD ON

OFFENSE THAT COULD NOT RUN AND DID NOT EVEN KNOW THERE PLAYS......J.V WILL BE LUCKY TO WIN A GAME.WHAT A BIG ERROR

BY A YOUNG COACHING STAFF NOT BUILDING ON LAST YEARS FRESHMEN TEAM J.V SHOULD BE THE TEAM TO BUILD ON.

WE NEED WINS AND J.V COULD BE A VERY GOOD TEAM.AT THE END OF THE SEASON THERE WILL NOT BE TO MANY THING THIS COACHING STAFF

WILL BE ABLE TO HANG THERE HATS ON..SORRY TO SAY. AND AS HARD AS THESE KIDS PRACTICE AND NO WINS ..THATS WHY THE KIDS LEAVE

THE TEAM....WE NEED WWWWWWWWWW TO BUILD THE PROGRAM .TO SAY HEY LOOK WERE WINNING HERE////// WHAT WE HAVE IS TWO SUB PAR TEAMS AND NO FRESHMEN TEAM.THAT WILL NOT GROW A PROGRAM IT WILL CUT THE PROGRAM .WE WILL LOSE OUR FRESHMEN THIS YEAR. THE ONES THAT DID NOT PLAY ON J.V AND THE J.V THAT ARE NOT ON VARSITY WILL GET TIRED OF THE LLLLLS AND HARD WORK BECAUSE WE DID NOT

FIELD A FROSH TEAM.MAN I AM SICK TO EVEN WRITE THIS. I THOUGHT WE WOULD HAVE A GOOD VARSITY TEAM AND A GREAT J.V TEAM

AND A BETTER VARSITY TEAM NEXT YEAR, WHAT A MESS

Guest FOOTBALLXXX
I WAS AT THE GAME AND IT WAS A CLOSE GAME AS FAR AS KEARNY FOOTBALL GOS.6-0 HALF 24-0 WITH 4 MIN TO GO. NO BACK UP PLAYERS IN

THE GAME.WHY? THIS WAS A BIG GAME BECAUSE THERE ARE 3 GAMES MAYBE 4 THAT KEARNY COULD WIN. NOW THERE ARE 2 MAYBE 3

GAMES THIS TEAM COULD WIN . THE J.V TEAM??WHAT A BAD MOVE PUTTING 9TH GRADERS IN THE BACKFIELD ON

OFFENSE THAT COULD NOT RUN AND DID NOT EVEN KNOW THERE PLAYS......J.V WILL BE LUCKY TO WIN A GAME.WHAT A BIG ERROR

BY A YOUNG COACHING STAFF NOT BUILDING ON LAST YEARS FRESHMEN TEAM J.V SHOULD BE THE TEAM TO BUILD ON.

WE NEED WINS AND J.V COULD BE A VERY GOOD TEAM.AT THE END OF THE SEASON THERE WILL NOT BE TO MANY THING THIS COACHING STAFF

WILL BE ABLE TO HANG THERE HATS ON..SORRY TO SAY. AND AS HARD AS THESE KIDS PRACTICE AND NO WINS ..THATS WHY THE KIDS LEAVE

THE TEAM....WE NEED WWWWWWWWWW TO BUILD THE PROGRAM .TO SAY HEY LOOK WERE WINNING HERE////// WHAT WE HAVE IS TWO SUB PAR TEAMS AND NO FRESHMEN TEAM.THAT WILL NOT GROW A PROGRAM IT WILL CUT THE PROGRAM .WE WILL LOSE OUR FRESHMEN THIS YEAR. THE ONES THAT DID NOT PLAY ON J.V AND THE J.V THAT ARE NOT ON VARSITY WILL GET TIRED OF THE LLLLLS AND HARD WORK BECAUSE WE DID NOT

FIELD A FROSH TEAM.MAN I AM SICK TO EVEN WRITE THIS. I THOUGHT WE WOULD HAVE A GOOD VARSITY TEAM AND A GREAT J.V TEAM

AND A BETTER VARSITY TEAM NEXT YEAR, WHAT A MESS

WELL ITS NICE TO SEE THE FROSH STARTED THERE SEASON.OUR PROGRAM NEEDS THIS TEAM TO MOVE FOWARD,GOOD JOB. VARSITY TEAM? 40 -0 L THINK THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN TIME FOR 2ND STRINGERS TO PLAY.THATS WHAT KEEP THE PLAYERS ON THE

FIELD .JUST A LITTLE PLAY TIME GOES A LONG WAY. AS FAR AS THE GAME. THE TEAM PLAYED MUCH BETTER THEN THE 40- 0 SCORE.FIVE

TURNOVERS WILL KILL THE BEST TEAMS.IF YOU TAKE THE TURNOVERS OUT OF THE GAME THIS GAME IS A WIN FOR VARSITY AND A BIG

UPSET.....THE RUN GAME WAS THERE THE O WAS MOVING THE BALL THE D WAS STOPING WESTFIELDS O..BUT JUST DID NOT HOLD THE BALL..

SOUNDS FUNNY BUT THIS WAS THERE BEST GAME IF U TAKE OUT THE TURNOVERS.....

Guest *Stevie Nash*
WELL ITS NICE TO SEE THE FROSH STARTED THERE SEASON.OUR PROGRAM NEEDS THIS TEAM TO MOVE FOWARD,GOOD JOB. VARSITY TEAM? 40 -0 L THINK THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN TIME FOR 2ND STRINGERS TO PLAY.THATS WHAT KEEP THE PLAYERS ON THE

FIELD .JUST A LITTLE PLAY TIME GOES A LONG WAY. AS FAR AS THE GAME. THE TEAM PLAYED MUCH BETTER THEN THE 40- 0 SCORE.FIVE

TURNOVERS WILL KILL THE BEST TEAMS.IF YOU TAKE THE TURNOVERS OUT OF THE GAME THIS GAME IS A WIN FOR VARSITY AND A BIG

UPSET.....THE RUN GAME WAS THERE THE O WAS MOVING THE BALL THE D WAS STOPING WESTFIELDS O..BUT JUST DID NOT HOLD THE BALL..

SOUNDS FUNNY BUT THIS WAS THERE BEST GAME IF U TAKE OUT THE TURNOVERS.....

You are pretty accurate here. The kids played very well, the score was not indicative of how tough we played Westfield. Westfield coaches were impressed. We have to stop making these huge mistakes! The coaching staff is doing EXTREMELY well, it is quite a difference and a breath of fresh air after last year. All the underclassmen are getting extensive playing time. Some frosh are playing in the Freshmen AND JV games. Players are seeing some time in the Varsity game and also playing the whole JV game. It's good! Coach Guererro, Coach Hohhman and the rest of these guys are young, energetic, motivated, educated and most of all DEDICATED to building this thing, I am most impressed IMHO.