Kearny Bd of Ed Administrator Salaries

Guest Researcher

Guest Researcher

From the State Department of Education:

KEARNY TOWN: Title, Base Salary, Contract End, Work Days a Year, Allowances, Bonuses, Stipends

Robert Mooney, Superintendent, $165,397, 6/30/2010, 239, $3,245, $4,000, $-

Dr. Ingrid Kiss, Asst Super., $153,971, 6/30/2008, 239, $3,187, $13,400, $1,794

Karen Yeamans, Business Admin., $123,600, 6/30/2009, 239, $950, $-, $-

From the State Department of Education:

KEARNY TOWN: Title, Base Salary, Contract End, Work Days a Year, Allowances, Bonuses, Stipends

Robert Mooney, Superintendent, $165,397, 6/30/2010, 239, $3,245, $4,000, $-

Dr. Ingrid Kiss, Asst Super., $153,971, 6/30/2008, 239, $3,187, $13,400, $1,794

Karen Yeamans, Business Admin., $123,600, 6/30/2009, 239, $950, $-, $-

So? That's what people get paid who invest in themselves by getting educated! You need very educated people to do their jobs. Do you think they go to work @ 8 am and are done by 4pm? That's why blue collar people get paid what they get paid because there is no risk in what they do and they haven't invested in themselves. Do you really think a town employee who maybe cleans playgrounds should make that kind of money?

Guest wildbill

I wonder what the girls locker room monitor pays now a days. For when I was at Kearny High the pay was three weeks worth of 7:45 detentions and a pervert label for that nonclassified position, Gone are the tender times!

Those six-figure salaries certainly are an issue when you consider the insane cost of taxes in this town.

The school system is one of the main reasons that our taxes are so high. The town has very little power to change that unfortunately. These salaries are crazy and keep in mind they have pensions and health benefits to top it off. I would understand if where paying top dollar for highly education / successful individual but this does not apply here. There finance also something to be desire; for example how much money can you have as surplus and how much does the school have. You’ll find the answer surprising. Now is it also true that our principle was a gym teacher? If that true, out of everyone that could have been a principle the Board of Ed pick a gym teacher? I know this might be a personal attack but a gym teacher? Shouldn’t you hire someone that at least has some financial experience or that was successful in classrooms?

If you really want your kid to go to a good school you might have to look at private school. I know it expensive but look at the kid that graduate from KHS and then look at the kids that graduated from a private school and you tell me if it’s worth it. By the way it seems that the teacher that teaches in KHS made up their mind because most of them send their kids to private school.

So? That's what people get paid who invest in themselves by getting educated! You need very educated people to do their jobs. Do you think they go to work @ 8 am and are done by 4pm? That's why blue collar people get paid what they get paid because there is no risk in what they do and they haven't invested in themselves. Do you really think a town employee who maybe cleans playgrounds should make that kind of money?

I take offense at that! Do you have any idea what that employee does? there are twelve or more playgrounds and or parks that they clean everyday, maintain the fields, clean bathrooms, take gargbage that is left behind by residents and much more, so until you know the facts, then if I were you I wouldn't say anything. By the way ther are only 8 hours in a dayand by no means do they even make half of what the above make. The only overtime they get is parades and block parties, and when it snows. Some of these guys work really hard, and they work for their money, Im not saying all of them but a good number of them.

There is no risk in blue collar work? And they haven't invested in themselves? I am assuming that you are an educator by your defensive stance regarding this post. If this in fact true may I say that was an arrogant, elitist and self serving comment trying to make a point by denigrating and perpetuating a stereotypical attitude against a hard working BLUE COLLAR group of people! Please do some research before you make these types of statements. OSHA would disagree with you that blue collar workers risk nothing, in fact according to their data they risk everything dying on the job disproportionately as a matter of fact more so called blue collar workers die every year than all of the other professions, groups, etc., etc.

put together. So in closing if you are going to defend educators (which we should) do it in an educated manner.

Sign Me

Blue Collar And Proud Of It!!!

Guest parent in the know
Those six-figure salaries certainly are an issue when you consider the insane cost of taxes in this town.

It would not be so bad if they did something.The Super has no spine and can't even make a correct decision if fear of the Board B--- slapping him. Grow some -----.

Guest Jethro Bodine
The school system is one of the main reasons that our taxes are so high. The town has very little power to change that unfortunately. These salaries are crazy and keep in mind they have pensions and health benefits to top it off. I would understand if where paying top dollar for highly education / successful individual but this does not apply here. There finance also something to be desire; for example how much money can you have as surplus and how much does the school have. You’ll find the answer surprising. Now is it also true that our principle was a gym teacher? If that true, out of everyone that could have been a principle the Board of Ed pick a gym teacher? I know this might be a personal attack but a gym teacher? Shouldn’t you hire someone that at least has some financial experience or that was successful in classrooms?

If you really want your kid to go to a good school you might have to look at private school. I know it expensive but look at the kid that graduate from KHS and then look at the kids that graduated from a private school and you tell me if it’s worth it. By the way it seems that the teacher that teaches in KHS made up their mind because most of them send their kids to private school.

I think you're right. Your post confirms that the three years you spent in the Kearny School System's 6th grade was a waste of time.

Guest wildbill
I think you're right. Your post confirms that the three years you spent in the Kearny School System's 6th grade was a waste of time.

6th grade, 1973, Schuyler School, Mrs. Jackson's class, Those were the days , Snapped a young music teachers bra one spring day and Mrs Zink made me spend the rest of the school year with Miss Humphrey's special ed class. Gone are the tender times!

That’s a funny personal attach, but doesn’t change the fact that our school system is in bad shape. If most of the teachers there are sending their kids to a private school isn’t that saying something about the school? Look I want solutions for our school system; I can’t afford to spend a couple of thousand dollars for a private school.

-Why doesn’t the school publish their financial records and budgets?

-Isn’t there another way to keep track of your kid’s progress other then report card or progress report. Most of the time parents are shocked when they get their child’s report card, there should be online record that you as a parent can access. So when your child is mess up the parent can’t just blame the teacher.

- As for a principal, shouldn’t we make it requirement that they have at least a business or financial background?

Is this asking for too much?? , or is this discussion just going to be interested in how many years that I took to finish 6 grade?

That’s a funny personal attach, but doesn’t change the fact that our school system is in bad shape. If most of the teachers there are sending their kids to a private school isn’t that saying something about the school? Look I want solutions for our school system; I can’t afford to spend a couple of thousand dollars for a private school.

-Isn’t there another way to keep track of your kid’s progress other then report card or progress report. Most of the time parents are shocked when they get their child’s report card, there should be online record that you as a parent can access. So when your child is mess up the parent can’t just blame the teacher.

- As for a principal, shouldn’t we make it requirement that they have at least a business or financial background?

Is this asking for too much?? , or is this discussion just going to be interested in how many years that I took to finish 6 grade?

I'm a teacher in Kearny and I can answer some of your question (if I understand what your asking),

My kids go to Catholic school. One major reason is that I'm divorced and live in one school district and teach in another. In order to get to work on time, I'd have to leave my kid alone in front of her school before 8:30 giving myself 10 minutes to get to my school, park, and sign in by 8:40. At the end of the day my daughter would have to wait by herself until 3:45 (I have to work help period until 3:35 each day) until I could pick her up. I'm sorry to admit the Kearny Public Schools didn't meet my single parent needs for before and after care. Catholic school does.

It does, every Spring prior to the School Board Elections. It's a matter of public record - request it from the superintendent's office.

QP does this. It costs me an addiditonal fee to pay for "Power School" in order to keep track on a daily basis of my child's progress. In order to do this the school system would have to budget for it. These services are not free or even inexpensive. If you are a parent checking homework and talking to your child, you shouldn't need a formal progress report - you should have an idea of what is going on. A parent can always request a meeting with a teacher at any time during the school year. Additionally, in the beginning of the school year, I offer parents the opportunity to receive e-mails about their children if they wish.

It is the principal's job to lead education not file financial reports.

Everyone has the same opportunity to go to college and get educated in whatever they want and be white collar, blue collar, whatever they want. If the the white collar teaching job is better then go for it. Why is it that there is a teacher shortage, especially in math and science if it is such a great job?

There is no risk in blue collar work? And they haven't invested in themselves? I am assuming that you are an educator by your defensive stance regarding this post. If this in fact true may I say that was an arrogant, elitist and self serving comment trying to make a point by denigrating and perpetuating a stereotypical attitude against a hard working BLUE COLLAR group of people! Please do some research before you make these types of statements. OSHA would disagree with you that blue collar workers risk nothing, in fact according to their data they risk everything dying on the job disproportionately as a matter of fact more so called blue collar workers die every year than all of the other professions, groups, etc., etc.

put together. So in closing if you are going to defend educators (which we should) do it in an educated manner.

Sign Me

Blue Collar And Proud Of It!!!

Every year the Board of Ed holds a public meeting on the budget. Guess what? Nobody goes. It's a joke. Board of Ed members are there, the superintendent, the Board Administrator. It's in the Observer every year and nobody goes. Most of the teachers are on line today. Check with your child's teacher in September. Other than that, you can send a note in any time and ask how your child is doing and what you can do to help. At the High School, you can contact the counselors. As for your last statement, I totally agree!

I'm a teacher in Kearny and I can answer some of your question (if I understand what your asking),

My kids go to Catholic school. One major reason is that I'm divorced and live in one school district and teach in another. In order to get to work on time, I'd have to leave my kid alone in front of her school before 8:30 giving myself 10 minutes to get to my school, park, and sign in by 8:40. At the end of the day my daughter would have to wait by herself until 3:45 (I have to work help period until 3:35 each day) until I could pick her up. I'm sorry to admit the Kearny Public Schools didn't meet my single parent needs for before and after care. Catholic school does.

It does, every Spring prior to the School Board Elections. It's a matter of public record - request it from the superintendent's office.

QP does this. It costs me an addiditonal fee to pay for "Power School" in order to keep track on a daily basis of my child's progress. In order to do this the school system would have to budget for it. These services are not free or even inexpensive. If you are a parent checking homework and talking to your child, you shouldn't need a formal progress report - you should have an idea of what is going on. A parent can always request a meeting with a teacher at any time during the school year. Additionally, in the beginning of the school year, I offer parents the opportunity to receive e-mails about their children if they wish.

In a case like that I completely understand, that being said what about the other teachers? Also, compare your kid’s education with the kids at Kearny school system. I had family members that sent their kids to public and private school, and by far private school was all around better for the kid: higher scores, far fewer problems with bulling and drug / alcohol.

This all boil down to why and I paying a 6 figure salaries to the department heads and getting nothing to show for it?

Those kinds of records should be placed online, how can anyone sit in a meeting for hours and go over 200 budget line items and pick out something that isn’t right. That’s how loopholes get created; if I put a whole bunch of stuff they won’t notice a raise for a teacher here, or over price equipment there. If it’s online, no one can blame the department for not spending their money wisely.

QP does this. It costs me an additional fee to pay for "Power School" in order to keep track on a daily basis of my child's progress. In order to do this the school system would have to budget for it. These services are not free or even inexpensive. If you are a parent checking homework and talking to your child, you shouldn't need a formal progress report - you should have an idea of what is going on. A parent can always request a meeting with a teacher at any time during the school year. Additionally, in the beginning of the school year, I offer parents the opportunity to receive e-mails about their children if they wish.

As a single parent you can understand that it’s hard to track you kid’s progress. Why should you have to pay for the program Power school? I would love a parent to come in and tell the teacher you’re not doing their job and the teacher asks them why you didn’t look at your student progress online. I like to see the parent talk them self out of that one.

I think your wrong here; principal manages not just teachers but budgets, regulations and the students. I would hate to think that someone with years of schooling wouldn’t get the job but a teacher that taught gym would. Because the teacher is well liked doesn’t mean that he’ll do a great job as principal, this leads to favoritism and from reading the past post that has been a problem in Kearny school system.

I went to the school system here, I saw a lot of stuff that I didn’t like: kids being on ESL over 4 years, teacher playing dodge ball with the kids instead of going over material in class and bulling. Has nothing changed?

Guest Scratching My Head

If you're qualified, then perhaps. But why does the Kearny school district need three high-salaried individuals in the central administration office? That adds up to $500,000 in salaries plus another $150,000 in benefit costs.

If you're qualified, then perhaps. But why does the Kearny school district need three high-salaried individuals in the central administration office? That adds up to $500,000 in salaries plus another $150,000 in benefit costs.

Because they are trying to keep up with Harrison's five high salaried individuals at the superintendent's office. Compared to the Harrison waste, Kearny looks great. Harrison gets rewarded because Corzine likes Mayor McDonough and his corrupt friends. Go figure!

Guest More Info Please
Because they are trying to keep up with Harrison's five high salaried individuals at the superintendent's office. Compared to the Harrison waste, Kearny looks great. Harrison gets rewarded because Corzine likes Mayor McDonough and his corrupt friends. Go figure!

Who are the 5 in Harrison and what are their salaries?

In a case like that I completely understand, that being said what about the other teachers? Also, compare your kid’s education with the kids at Kearny school system. I had family members that sent their kids to public and private school, and by far private school was all around better for the kid: higher scores, far fewer problems with bulling and drug / alcohol.

This all boil down to why and I paying a 6 figure salaries to the department heads and getting nothing to show for it?

Those kinds of records should be placed online, how can anyone sit in a meeting for hours and go over 200 budget line items and pick out something that isn’t right. That’s how loopholes get created; if I put a whole bunch of stuff they won’t notice a raise for a teacher here, or over price equipment there. If it’s online, no one can blame the department for not spending their money wisely.

QP does this. It costs me an additional fee to pay for "Power School" in order to keep track on a daily basis of my child's progress. In order to do this the school system would have to budget for it. These services are not free or even inexpensive. If you are a parent checking homework and talking to your child, you shouldn't need a formal progress report - you should have an idea of what is going on. A parent can always request a meeting with a teacher at any time during the school year. Additionally, in the beginning of the school year, I offer parents the opportunity to receive e-mails about their children if they wish.

As a single parent you can understand that it’s hard to track you kid’s progress. Why should you have to pay for the program Power school? I would love a parent to come in and tell the teacher you’re not doing their job and the teacher asks them why you didn’t look at your student progress online. I like to see the parent talk them self out of that one.

I think your wrong here; principal manages not just teachers but budgets, regulations and the students. I would hate to think that someone with years of schooling wouldn’t get the job but a teacher that taught gym would. Because the teacher is well liked doesn’t mean that he’ll do a great job as principal, this leads to favoritism and from reading the past post that has been a problem in Kearny school system.

I went to the school system here, I saw a lot of stuff that I didn’t like: kids being on ESL over 4 years, teacher playing dodge ball with the kids instead of going over material in class and bulling. Has nothing changed?

I don't disagree with a lot of your responses to what you've written - things could and should be better.