descrimination against the handicappped!

Effie

Dear Kearny Tax payers and voters:

Every summer the Kearny Board of Education runs a federally mandated extended summer school program for handicapped students in Lincoln School. It's a half day program 5 days a week for 6 weeks. The children have academic instruction for 2 1/2 hours, then enjoy 45 mins of Gym, and 45 mins of swimming. Due to the construction in Lincoln School, the program was moved to Schuyler School because the new area of the facility was airconditioned.

At the last Board meeting, the Principal of Schuyler School brought an group of teachers with her to protest the use of her school. Most of the teachers who accompained her complained about the program. This is descrimination against the handcapped. I think the school board should have seen it as such instead of giving in to the protestors. By the end of the meeting the board agreed to move the program out of Schuyler and into Roosevelt School which isn't airconditioned. Now the board has to pay to aircondition 16 classrooms in Roosevelt School. It seems to me a waste of Taxpayers money when the program could have used Schuyler that was already airconditioned.

I for one am not happy with any of the decisions this board has made and will not vote for any of them again.

It's time for a change

Guest Guest

Every summer the Kearny Board of Education runs a federally mandated extended summer school program for handicapped students in Lincoln School. It's a half day program 5 days a week for 6 weeks. The children have academic instruction for 2 1/2 hours, then enjoy 45 mins of Gym, and 45 mins of swimming. Due to the construction in Lincoln School, the program was moved to Schuyler School because the new area of the facility was airconditioned.

At the last Board meeting, the Principal of Schuyler School brought an group of teachers with her to protest the use of her school. Most of the teachers who accompained her complained about the program. This is descrimination against the handcapped.

That's quite a leap; I'd like to have some more information. What was the nature of the complaints? I doubt the people complaining were saying "we don't want handicapped people using the school"...so what DID they say?

Guest Guest

Eppie, you were NOT at the board meeting last Monday night. How do I know? I WAS there. Yes, there the principal of Schuyler School was there as were several teachers. However, not one observer spoke at the meeting. Check the board minutes.

Now as to discrimination against the handicapped...have you been around Schuyler School lately? That school is also going through a great deal of construction which will hopefully be completed by September. It is not as big a disaster as Lincoln, but it is a DANGEROUS mess. The brickwork is being repointed and new windows are supposed to be installed. In the meantime there is heavy construction equipment all over the playground and materials all over the place. The dust and dirt created by the brickwork is disgusting and probably toxic to those who have have to work ther during the actitiy - time will tell there. Since Franklin and KHS are already housing a summer school project, and Washington, Garfield, Lincoln, and Schuyler are undergoing construction, Roosevelt is the logical placement.

BTW - I am the parent of a special education student and I don't want my child at Schuyer School this summer!

To the rest of the readers, please don't let this alarmist poster get everyone all bent out of shape over this settled issue.

At the last Board meeting, the Principal of Schuyler School brought an group of teachers with her to protest the use of her school. Most of the teachers who accompained her complained about the program. This is descrimination against the handcapped. I think the school board should have seen it as such instead of giving in to the protestors. By the end of the meeting the board agreed to move the program out of Schuyler and into Roosevelt School which isn't airconditioned. Now the board has to pay to aircondition 16 classrooms in Roosevelt School. It seems to me a waste of Taxpayers money when the program could have used Schuyler that was already airconditioned.

I for one am not happy with any of the decisions this board has made and will not vote for any of them again.

It's time for a change

Guest Guest

It's time for a change

What meeting were you at? I was at the last meeting and not one person from the audience spoke about anything. All the teachers there were for the presentation of the retirees from town. Get your facts straight before you spout info that is incorrect.