Diaz in the News Again

Guest Yogi Berra

Guest Yogi Berra

Haworth parents get behind principal

Friday, May 2, 2008

KAREN SUDOL

STAFF WRITER

HAWORTH — Parents this week have been clamoring to find out why the contract for the principal of Haworth Public School is not being renewed.

About 50 parents attended the Board of Education meeting Tuesday to express support for Principal Norberto Diaz, who has worked in the district since January 2007.

"The kids love him because he's such a hands-on principal and he really cares about the kids and goes out of his way to do what's best for them always," said parent Suzi Nuccio.

Superintendent David Eichenholtz recommended not renewing Diaz's contract, which will expire on June 30, said Haworth school board member George Kipel, who did not elaborate on the reasons why.

Diaz's name did not appear on a board agenda listing contracts up for renewal.

School board members do not vote on non-renewal recommendations, Kipel said.

Neither Diaz, who can now appeal the recommendation, nor Eichenholtz returned phone calls seeking comment.

The school board did not discuss the issue publicly Tuesday because it is considered a personnel matter and Diaz did not waive his privacy rights.

At the meeting, Nuccio referred to the minutes from an October meeting when Eichenholtz praised Diaz.

"There was obvious support for Mr. Diaz in October," she told the board. "I wonder what happened in the interim where now the man is told he is not worthy of coming back."

Parent Larry Schinder said he believes it is unethical to not include Diaz's non-renewal on the board meeting agenda.

"I think it's dishonest to mention every other person up for contract except for him," Schinder said. "I believe that if there was an agenda item, more people would have been here."

Parents and children are writing letters to the school board in support of Diaz and are initiating a petition drive, Nuccio said Thursday.

"We want the board to understand he's got a lot of support from the community and the children and they better have some darn good reasons for him not being asked back," she said.

"I think they're letting their voices be heard and I think we have to hear what they're saying," Kipel said of the parents.

E-mail: sudol@northjersey.com

Guest Sharpe James
Haworth? I thought he went to the City of Newark school district from Kearny. Why did he leave Newark for Haworth?

He did go to Newark when he left Kearny but Newark did not renew his contract either.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ken Gibson
He did go to Newark when he left Kearny but Newark did not renew his contract either.

So why didn't Newark renew?

That's three districts in a row that won't renew.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest No Confidence
So why didn't Newark renew?

That's three districts in a row that won't renew.

Teachers lack confidence in Diaz

By Sophia Gonzalez

Staff Writer | May 15

Haworth — Haworth Public School teachers have announced that they lack confidence in their principal.

Well over 95 percent of the Haworth Teachers’ Association agreed in a vote of no confidence that Principal Norberto Diaz has proven himself to be ineffectual and lacking leadership, which has affected the moral of teachers.

Teacher Jane Cabourg read the announcement to members of the Haworth Board of Education and about 65 parents at the May 13 meeting.

"This decision was very difficult as a teacher and as an association," said Cabourg. The teacher said that the vote culminated after 18 months of reported incidents and concerns to the superintendent.

Superintendent David Eichenholtz resigned May 5.

His resignation followed waves of protests from some parents, outraged because Diaz would not return next fall. It was the superintendent who had chosen not to renew the principal’s contract.

Against a backdrop of both praise and criticism, parents addressed members of the Haworth Board of Education.

Some parents said that Diaz exposed the school to tremendous liability by not exercising discretion. Many blamed Diaz for introducing an ability grouping program last fall that quickly morphed into a kind of tracking system.

"We must not confuse liking a person, with respecting him," said parent Jody Adams.

But others attributed their children behavioral and academic successes to Diaz, who joined the district in 2007.

For complete story check out the May 21 edition of the Northern Valley Suburbanite

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Deja Vu Vu

No contract for principal

Education officials decide not to retain Norberto Diaz

By Sophia Gonzalez

Staff Writer | June 10 2008

Haworth — In a quiet end to a volatile month, the Haworth Board of Education decided not to rehire Principal Norberto Diaz.

The Haworth Board of Education made the June 3 decision after they heard testimony from Diaz, his attorney and parents during a closed hearing. The near two-hour long hearing was Diaz’s opportunity to overturn the superintendent’s statement of reasons against his re-hire.

"We’re very disappointed," said Diaz’s attorney Glen Savits. "The board can act or not act. After the Donaldson Hearing, they decided not to take action."

An offer of reemployment requires four favorable votes from school board members to pass a resolution.

A Juilliard graduate and former Kearny principal, Diaz has served the Haworth district since 2007.

The non-renewal in the principal’s contract set off a whirlwind of criticism and complaints from those who supported Diaz’s return and those who vehemently opposed it.

Superintendent David Eichenholtz, who issued the non-renewal recommendation, resigned for undisclosed reasons shortly thereafter.

A vote of no confidence from more than 95 percent of the Haworth Teachers’ Association only deepened the divide, as noted from the public sessions at the crowded school board meetings.

Prior to the letter of no confidence, Diaz’s attorney said that the teachers had filed no formal grievances against Diaz. The letter, he said, made reference to a history of behavioral complaints from teachers.

The attorney said that he could not comment further since Diaz did not waive his privacy rights. It is also uncertain whether Diaz will resort to further legal action, Savits added.

School board member George Kipel said that he too could not comment on the matter. Except, he said that the Haworth Board of Education is "now in the process of looking forward."

The plan is to fill the position of interim superintendent so that the superintendent may help in the hiring of a new principal, said Kipel. A round of superintendent candidate interviews has already begun, the board member said.

"It’s got to be a team approach," said Kipel. "It’ll help [us] work on the transition phase."

Guest Guest
No contract for principal

Education officials decide not to retain Norberto Diaz

By Sophia Gonzalez

Staff Writer | June 10 2008

Haworth — In a quiet end to a volatile month, the Haworth Board of Education decided not to rehire Principal Norberto Diaz.

The Haworth Board of Education made the June 3 decision after they heard testimony from Diaz, his attorney and parents during a closed hearing. The near two-hour long hearing was Diaz’s opportunity to overturn the superintendent’s statement of reasons against his re-hire.

"We’re very disappointed," said Diaz’s attorney Glen Savits. "The board can act or not act. After the Donaldson Hearing, they decided not to take action."

An offer of reemployment requires four favorable votes from school board members to pass a resolution.

A Juilliard graduate and former Kearny principal, Diaz has served the Haworth district since 2007.

The non-renewal in the principal’s contract set off a whirlwind of criticism and complaints from those who supported Diaz’s return and those who vehemently opposed it.

Superintendent David Eichenholtz, who issued the non-renewal recommendation, resigned for undisclosed reasons shortly thereafter.

A vote of no confidence from more than 95 percent of the Haworth Teachers’ Association only deepened the divide, as noted from the public sessions at the crowded school board meetings.

Prior to the letter of no confidence, Diaz’s attorney said that the teachers had filed no formal grievances against Diaz. The letter, he said, made reference to a history of behavioral complaints from teachers.

The attorney said that he could not comment further since Diaz did not waive his privacy rights. It is also uncertain whether Diaz will resort to further legal action, Savits added.

School board member George Kipel said that he too could not comment on the matter. Except, he said that the Haworth Board of Education is "now in the process of looking forward."

The plan is to fill the position of interim superintendent so that the superintendent may help in the hiring of a new principal, said Kipel. A round of superintendent candidate interviews has already begun, the board member said.

"It’s got to be a team approach," said Kipel. "It’ll help [us] work on the transition phase."

Wow. 95% no confidence from the teachers.

Stevenson is looking pretty good.

Guest Guest

Yeah if you're looking for a politically motivated board member and not someone with the kids best interests at heart.

Guest Guest

You got that right! What bothers me is that the Department of Education is like the Catholic Church. They don't keep records and people like Diaz are able to walk into another district where the Boards, Superintendents and parents are completely in the dark about a person's past. The Dept of Education should have some sort of tracking system where towns can say, hey, how come this person's contract was not renewed in this town, and that town, and this town and that town?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Diaz Hater
You got that right! What bothers me is that the Department of Education is like the Catholic Church. They don't keep records and people like Diaz are able to walk into another district where the Boards, Superintendents and parents are completely in the dark about a person's past. The Dept of Education should have some sort of tracking system where towns can say, hey, how come this person's contract was not renewed in this town, and that town, and this town and that town?

What's really wild , if you stop to read the whole story , the Superintendent , Dr. Eichenholtz , resigned a few days later after he tried to fire Diaz because of the parental pressure. I personally never liked Diaz myself , but I have noticed that where ever he goes he manages to attract a large following of parents and student supporters.....Why is that?

Guest Diaz Hater

What's really wild , if you stop to read the whole story , the Superintendent , Dr. Eichenholtz , resigned a few days later after he tried to fire Diaz because of the parental pressure. I personally never liked Diaz myself , but I have noticed that where ever he goes he manages to attract a large following of parents and student supporters.....Why is that?

Guest Fred Mertz

Evidently this guy Stevenson was on to something that Newark figured out, that Haworth figured out and **** ******** figured out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DisneyDiaz?

Is it true that Diaz sold his children's music to the Disney corporation for a large pile of money? The other day someone told me that they saw him on the Disney channel performing his songs. Diaz even has a world wide website where people from all over the planet are making affirmative comments about him and where you can also download some of his elementary music for schools .The last part of his Stay In School song is even now being used on a national campaign that you can read about on his www. I guess Diaz is a real living proof that there is no such thing as bad publicity , right ? We are all collectively making this f**king asshole rich and famous and I for one resent it.

Guest George

Friday, May 2, 2008

KAREN SUDOL

STAFF WRITER

HAWORTH — Parents this week have been clamoring to find out why the contract for the principal of Haworth Public School is not being renewed.

About 50 parents attended the Board of Education meeting Tuesday to express support for Principal Norberto Diaz, who has worked in the district since January 2007.

"The kids love him because he's such a hands-on principal and he really cares about the kids and goes out of his way to do what's best for them always," said parent Suzi Nuccio.

Superintendent David Eichenholtz recommended not renewing Diaz's contract, which will expire on June 30, said Haworth school board member George Kipel, who did not elaborate on the reasons why.

Neither Diaz, who can now appeal the recommendation, nor Eichenholtz returned phone calls seeking comment.

The school board did not discuss the issue publicly Tuesday because it is considered a personnel matter and Diaz did not waive his privacy rights.

At the meeting, Nuccio referred to the minutes from an October meeting when Eichenholtz praised Diaz.

"There was obvious support for Mr. Diaz in October," she told the board. "I wonder what happened in the interim where now the man is told he is not worthy of coming back."

Parent Larry Schinder said he believes it is unethical to not include Diaz's non-renewal on the board meeting agenda.

"I think it's dishonest to mention every other person up for contract except for him," Schinder said. "I believe that if there was an agenda item, more people would have been here."

Parents and children are writing letters to the school board in support of Diaz and are initiating a petition drive, Nuccio said Thursday.

"We want the board to understand he's got a lot of support from the community and the children and they better have some darn good reasons for him not being asked back," she said.

"I think they're letting their voices be heard and I think we have to hear what they're saying," Kipel said of the parents.

Apparently Diaz has followers

http://www.norberto-diaz.com/?gclid=CKq_yv...CFQcVswodvgYOlQ

Guest George Lopez

Friday, May 2, 2008

KAREN SUDOL

STAFF WRITER

Guest George Lopez

Friday, May 2, 2008

KAREN SUDOL

STAFF WRITER

I think Diaz looks really good in this article. The people's Principal rises again !

Guest guest
Evidently this guy Stevenson was on to something that Newark figured out, that Haworth figured out and **** ******** figured out.

Who's getting stuch with him now?

Guest Dave Graft
Yeah if you're looking for a politically motivated board member and not someone with the kids best interests at heart.

More like a monetary motivated board member like **** **********.

Guest Albert Saint Thomas
Is it true that Diaz sold his children's music to the Disney corporation for a large pile of money? The other day someone told me that they saw him on the Disney channel performing his songs. Diaz even has a world wide website where people from all over the planet are making affirmative comments about him and where you can also download some of his elementary music for schools .The last part of his Stay In School song is even now being used on a national campaign that you can read about on his www. I guess Diaz is a real living proof that there is no such thing as bad publicity , right ? We are all collectively making this f**king asshole rich and famous and I for one resent it.

Yes it's true, there is no such thing as bad publicity and I also saw Diaz on the Disney channel while watching it with my kids. I guess he is whistling his song " Stay in School " all the way to the bank.

Guest Guest

Diaz truly is the people's principal. He never played the "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" game with the BOE, Superintendents, or other administrators. And, when he felt he was wronged he had the nuts to go after the people that did it and call them on it.

He finally paid the price in Kearny because of a backstabbing VP in cahoots with the BOE and the administartors.

Guest Rational Resident
Diaz truly is the people's principal. He never played the "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" game with the BOE, Superintendents, or other administrators. And, when he felt he was wronged he had the nuts to go after the people that did it and call them on it.

He finally paid the price in Kearny because of a backstabbing VP in cahoots with the BOE and the administartors.

He's had 4 jobs in 5 years and you think the Kearny Board of Ed was in the wrong?? Over 90% of the teachers in his Haworth School wanted him gone, and you think it's them and not him?? He was one of a very small number of bilingual Newark administrators not renewed??

My take is the opposite, for once the Kearny Board of Ed didn't let politics get in the way of what appears was the right decision.

Guest Hero Factor

Why did the Superintendent , Dr. Eichenholtz resign a few days after not renewing Diaz ? That's very fishy.... There must be political overtones in this situation. I don't care about Diaz but if you read the whole thing he is once again the hero in the story. Also , I heard he recently signed a contract as a Superintendent of Schools in a nearby District in Upper Bergen County.

Guest Guest
He's had 4 jobs in 5 years and you think the Kearny Board of Ed was in the wrong?? Over 90% of the teachers in his Haworth School wanted him gone, and you think it's them and not him?? He was one of a very small number of bilingual Newark administrators not renewed??

My take is the opposite, for once the Kearny Board of Ed didn't let politics get in the way of what appears was the right decision.

wrong. how do you think diaz became a principal in the first place? the boe did let politics get in the way when they made the wrong decision to hire him as vp then promote him to principal. if he's so bad why did the boe promote him anyway? politics - thats why. thats why anyone in this district gets promoted and, as with bc, thats why some people don't get promoted. how long has it been since the boe didn't play this game?

Guest Haworth Parent

Mr. Diaz has a great many parents and students that support and love him. He has become an international educator through the publishing contacts he made here at Haworth with many adoring students , parents and families. He truly is the people's principal but has now moved on to serve as Superintendent of Schools in another district as well as a lucrative career with Children's Music Publishing. The proof is many of you are taking the time to write about him good and bad but nobody is writing about you. Give that some thought. Also if you get a chance , see if you get to see and hear him on the Disney Channel while you're eating your donut and drinking coffee. I can see how envy may eat people up from the inside out.

Guest Guest

So now we should let the teachers pick and choose the administrators they want. The majority of the parents supported Diaz when he was at Washington School and in Haworth. At Washington School he actually made the parents feel like they meant something. He did it with little or no support from the BOE because Washington School has always been low man on the totem pole in Kearny.

And if you think it wasn't politics that got Diaz fired in Kearny you're pretty naive. Why did the BOE give him such a sweet settlement to keep his mouth shut and go away?