KHS Baseball

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I would like to quote another concerned parent who I feel had no one else to turn to and they posted their issue on this web site. Their statement was aimed at the KHS football program, and, the abuse that our children have to deal with. I am also having the same problem with the KHS baseball program, and would appreciate anyone who is or has had to deal with this nonsense to reply. This parent basically exposed the disgusting facts that seem to be the norm at this high school, and I will address them all. I have been in denial, I never dreamed that favoritism or nepotism could possibly exisit in a public shcool. Unlike these jokers the board of ed calls coaches, I will admit, I am guilty of not saying anything sooner, and not all coaches are guilty.

Every year there is a core group of kids who play every game. These few select kids either personally know the coach, or the kids parents donate things to the team. I don't know for sure if it is limited to base ball equipment, or it has surpassed that. It also helps you if your child attended Schuyler School. I will stick to the facts, and every other parent who atteneded the yearly "hot dog dinner" heard the same thing I did.

The ***** coach bragged in detail about how he has pictures of his buddies kids taped up in his locker when the kid was 8 years old and how proud he was to have them playing on his team, key word here is playing. In case anyone does not know, this is a form of nepotism. I asked myself how can any of the other kids compete with that? Well they can't. I found it a little disturbing that I have seen this year after year, making these kids bust their butts, practing just as hard as these few choosen favorites and never get a chance to play. Well, maybe garbage time when the score is 9 - 0.

Sadly I had to hear the ***** coach scream, not talk or raise his voice, I MEAN SCREAM at these poor kids when they loose, the language used was so filthy, so abusive Tony Soprano would have blushed. Let me remind you these are children he is cursing. These kids feel bad enough as it is, please don't think they are not aware of what is going on. These kids are just as aware of the dirty low down favoritism that is happening, they are not stupid. The sad part is that they think that if they work harder, they by some miracle will get to play because they know they are a better player than the hand picked favorites/doners. I have one question, when is a donation to the baseball team a donation? It makes more sense to me, if your going to donate anything to the school, do it after your kid graduates. The way the donation game is played now is just a payoff to make sure the donor's kid will be playing.

I know there are alot of other kids out there who are going thru this tragic abuse. I also know quite a few kids who quit and refuse to even go out for the team. When I ask why, they sadly inform me of what I already know, the kids will not play for this coach. My question is how do you stop a person who is drunk with power, a horrible temper and on a power trip to the extent of terrorizing your children?

I came forward for the kids, if you would like to step forward and tell your horror story, do it for the kids. If my calucations are correct, there won't be enough kids in KHS to have a baseball team soon, do the math, If you are one of those people who like to say that Kearny made it to state in 2003, just remember who won? It sure was'nt the kids.

Guest Parent
I would like to quote another concerned parent who I feel had no one else to turn to and they posted their issue on this web site. Their statement was aimed at the KHS football program, and, the abuse that our children have to deal with. I am also having the same problem with the KHS baseball program, and would appreciate anyone who is or has had to deal with this nonsense to reply. This parent basically exposed the disgusting facts that seem to be the norm at this high school, and I will address them all. I have been in denial, I never dreamed that favoritism or nepotism could possibly exisit in a public shcool. Unlike these jokers the board of ed calls coaches, I will admit, I am guilty of not saying anything sooner, and not all coaches are guilty.

Every year there is a core group of kids who play every game. These few select kids either personally know the coach, or the kids parents donate things to the team. I don't know for sure if it is limited to base ball equipment, or it has surpassed that. It also helps you if your child attended Schuyler School. I will stick to the facts, and every other parent who atteneded the yearly "hot dog dinner" heard the same thing I did.

The ***** coach bragged in detail about how he has pictures of his buddies kids taped up in his locker when the kid was 8 years old and how proud he was to have them playing on his team, key word here is playing. In case anyone does not know, this is a form of nepotism. I asked myself how can any of the other kids compete with that? Well they can't. I found it a little disturbing that I have seen this year after year, making these kids bust their butts, practing just as hard as these few choosen favorites and never get a chance to play. Well, maybe garbage time when the score is 9 - 0.

Sadly I had to hear the ***** coach scream, not talk or raise his voice, I MEAN SCREAM at these poor kids when they loose, the language used was so filthy, so abusive Tony Soprano would have blushed. Let me remind you these are children he is cursing. These kids feel bad enough as it is, please don't think they are not aware of what is going on. These kids are just as aware of the dirty low down favoritism that is happening, they are not stupid. The sad part is that they think that if they work harder, they by some miracle will get to play because they know they are a better player than the hand picked favorites/doners. I have one question, when is a donation to the baseball team a donation? It makes more sense to me, if your going to donate anything to the school, do it after your kid graduates. The way the donation game is played now is just a payoff to make sure the donor's kid will be playing.

I know there are alot of other kids out there who are going thru this tragic abuse. I also know quite a few kids who quit and refuse to even go out for the team. When I ask why, they sadly inform me of what I already know, the kids will not play for this coach. My question is how do you stop a person who is drunk with power, a horrible temper and on a power trip to the extent of terrorizing your children?

I came forward for the kids, if you would like to step forward and tell your horror story, do it for the kids. If my calucations are correct, there won't be enough kids in KHS to have a baseball team soon, do the math, If you are one of those people who like to say that Kearny made it to state in 2003, just remember who won? It sure was'nt the kids.

I have to agree with you on this subject. I also have a son who plays for KHS. Unfortunately, I am not in a positon to donale or have my business build ramps or batting cages/areas for the kids, so my son sits. Don't get me wrong, if he wasn't good, I wouldn't say anything, but word among the players is if you haven't attended Schuyler School, your basically not playing varisty until you are a senior and even then you would probably see the bench more than the field. This year in particular, a young man was brought up from freshman after 2 practices to take the place of a junior. What experience could this young man bring? I do not hold anything against the student, but the coach should think befor putting someone this young in an important postion. Then if he makes an error, he is screamed at with language that should not be allowed. If any of the students spoke this way, they would be thrown off the team.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest baseball fan

Anyone know what is going on with the baseball team. Seems like there is no energy or morale is low. Anyone have insight about that? Any prospects at the JV or Frosh level?

Guest baseball over the top

Seem like the Coach gave up on the seniors and pulled up freshmen. The remark about the kids from Schyler School did not help. I do not belevie any coach would want to do this to there players but, when good player who are seniors are not gettng the playing time it is kind of hard to except them to be excited. Good luck to all the seniors.

Guest Devon st

As for the favoritism with the baseball program it goes back a long way. I was sick my freshman year and could not play. Me and two friends decided to try out the second year, as we were walking into the gym the coach asked us want we wanted, we told him we wanted to try out for the team. His said we could try out but he already had the team picked out and it would be very hard for anyone new to make the team. We all turned around and left as it turned out the jv team that year won 3 games.....

Guest End of Whining

Oh my gosh, stop the whining!!! I played baseball at KHS a long time ago - predating the current coaches. At that time, the coaches had their favorites. There were groups of parents who kissed the behinds of the coaches, invited them for dinner, and pushed their kids' agendas. And our coaches cursed a blue streak at us when we lost, made mistakes or the like (and you really only had to bring running shoes the day after a loss, because that's what you'd be doing all day).

Do you know what I did? I worked harder than the coaches favorites. I played harder than the kids whose parents kissed behinds. And I EARNED my spot in the starting lineup - batting Clean-Up. No whining. No crying. Just play ball.

And when I got yelled at, I dusted myself off and tried to make sure that I didn't make another mistake. After awhile, I EARNED the respect of my coaches (who stopped yelling because they knew I beat myself up over an error more than they could), and I EARNED the respect of my teammates.

What are your kids EARNING when you take up the fight for them, and protect them from the realities of life that they will surely face when they leave high school. Challenge your kids to overcome their obstacles instead of giving them built-in excuses. You are crippling them for life, and you don't even realize it.

Oh my gosh, stop the whining!!! I played baseball at KHS a long time ago - predating the current coaches. At that time, the coaches had their favorites. There were groups of parents who kissed the behinds of the coaches, invited them for dinner, and pushed their kids' agendas. And our coaches cursed a blue streak at us when we lost, made mistakes or the like (and you really only had to bring running shoes the day after a loss, because that's what you'd be doing all day).

Do you know what I did? I worked harder than the coaches favorites. I played harder than the kids whose parents kissed behinds. And I EARNED my spot in the starting lineup - batting Clean-Up. No whining. No crying. Just play ball.

And when I got yelled at, I dusted myself off and tried to make sure that I didn't make another mistake. After awhile, I EARNED the respect of my coaches (who stopped yelling because they knew I beat myself up over an error more than they could), and I EARNED the respect of my teammates.

What are your kids EARNING when you take up the fight for them, and protect them from the realities of life that they will surely face when they leave high school. Challenge your kids to overcome their obstacles instead of giving them built-in excuses. You are crippling them for life, and you don't even realize it.

WELL SAID , AND I APPLAUD YOUR FORTITUDE. BUT AS A GRANDFATHER WHO HAS GRANDSONS IN, OR SOON TO BE IN KHS,ALL WE CAN ASK FOR IS A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD. FORTUNATELY IN MY DAY THESE ATTITUDES BY TODAYS COACHES DID NOT PERMEATE THE ATHLETIC PLAYING FIELDS AS THEY SEEM TO BE DOING TODAY. IF YOU WERE GOOD ENOUGH, YOU PLAYED, REGARDLESS WHAT GRADE YOU WERE IN. SOME OLDER STUDENTS RESENTED THIS APPLICATION OF PLAYING TIME AND EITHER MOVED ON TO DIFFERENT SPORTS OR SAT AND WAITED FOR THEIR TURN. I'M NOT INSINUATING THAT WE WERE BETTER SERVED WHEN I WAS YOUNGER BUT THE ATTITUDES WERE MUCH DIFFERENT. MAYBE AFFLUENCE HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE SELECTION OF BALL PLAYERS INSTEAD OF TALENT.

Guest Crippled Psyche

Thanks Johnny Bravo.

Cursing at a bunch of HS kids incessantly is well, ridiculous. Running them till they drop, well, that should make them better ball players.

Although I agree with the whole whiner thing and the work hard - play hard ethic, I disagree with being a neanderthal. Better coaching through punishment or fear of punishment.

That's really not what makes a quality coach or program.

I think the argument was about kids whose abilities are equal to or better than the favorites to get their CHANCE to EARN those stripes.

Coaches need to see beyond themselves. Sometimes it's hard to see everyone contributing to the cause from atop that throne however.

GOOD coaches are hard to find. Good PEOPLE who are also good coaches is even harder.

They can take the most mediocre player and get him to play well enough to bat clean up - - without all the blood letting. Sorry you had to work so hard.

Semper Fi !

Guest bob

[ coaches want to win. they will play the kids that deserve to play for that reason. if a player doesn't hustle,has an attitude that may and should alter the coach's opinion of that player. i played at kearny many years ago on terrific teams,our coach played the right kids and made his own decisions. he was no politician but a wonderful coach.

Guest karma

heard that the baseball team didnt make it into States for the first time in 16 years. Maybe it's time for a change....people stagnate when thay are in the same place for too long....looks like the head coach falls under that category

Guest You're Kidding, Right?
heard that the baseball team didnt make it into States for the first time in 16 years. Maybe it's time for a change....people stagnate when thay are in the same place for too long....looks like the head coach falls under that category

THAT's your logic?!?! Someone is so accomplished at coaching that he takes collections of different kids to the state tournament for 16 years straight ... misses one year ... and that's your justification to fire them!!! There's so many ways to bash your reasoning right now there's just no sport in it.

Guest Guest

Wow, You nailed it. Batting clean up? No whinning?? C'mon cuz, you were the butt kisser in this situation. I would venture to bet, that you, were one of the "favorites". When I originally reported was the truth, no crying. Sadly you tell us all how much you were hurt, by going on about how much you beat yourself up, acccepted. My question is why did you have to be verbally abused by these long gone coaches? (this most likely would be why they are gone). Back in the day, corporal punishment was common, don't feel bad. Thankfully, times have changed, and it has been proven that corporal punishment is not the way to go. I really would like to believe you were one of the very, very few lucky ones who got to EARN your spot on the TEAM to PLAY. I doubt it though, just because you think you EARNED your spot on a high school team, what I got from your story was. "how you wormed your way on the bench and most likely took the place of a kid who really had some TALENT".

What exactly am I excusing? A grown man who can't control his emotions should be respected by kids? What your saying is that if I go to work everyday, at the end of the week when I go collect my hard earned money, my boss can curse me, and I should what? Go run a mile? Everyone has an opinion, but, not everyone has talent. You can have your own opinion, just go on down to watch a game.

Guest TEACHER

OXYMORON

Coach - A trainer or director , as of athletes. A private tutor, to train or direct athletes. To study with, or be trained by a coach.

Abuse - To use improperly or injuriously, misuse. 2. To hurt by treating wrongly, injure. 3. To speak to coarse or bad terms of or to revile: malign - improper or injurious use; misuse. ill treatment; injury. An immoral or dishonest practice or act. Harsh abusive language.

as written Webster's Dictionary

Guest confused

Ok, what's the issue regarding Legion Baseball. Grumblings say that it's in the best interest of the returning HS players to play. Is this indeed fact. Will their HS playing career be jeopardized? Is Legion a town recreation run thing or specific to The American Legion.

Guest Still A Whiner, Huh?
Wow, You nailed it. Batting clean up? No whinning?? C'mon cuz, you were the butt kisser in this situation. I would venture to bet, that you, were one of the "favorites". When I originally reported was the truth, no crying. Sadly you tell us all how much you were hurt, by going on about how much you beat yourself up, acccepted. My question is why did you have to be verbally abused by these long gone coaches? (this most likely would be why they are gone). Back in the day, corporal punishment was common, don't feel bad. Thankfully, times have changed, and it has been proven that corporal punishment is not the way to go. I really would like to believe you were one of the very, very few lucky ones who got to EARN your spot on the TEAM to PLAY. I doubt it though, just because you think you EARNED your spot on a high school team, what I got from your story was. "how you wormed your way on the bench and most likely took the place of a kid who really had some TALENT".

What exactly am I excusing? A grown man who can't control his emotions should be respected by kids? What your saying is that if I go to work everyday, at the end of the week when I go collect my hard earned money, my boss can curse me, and I should what? Go run a mile? Everyone has an opinion, but, not everyone has talent. You can have your own opinion, just go on down to watch a game.

And all I get out of you is wah, wah, wah. More crying, no personal responsibility, and baseless attacks armed with absolutely ZERO facts. Clearly, neither you nor whomever you are trying to protect by your post has the talent to crack the starting line-up. You can project your anger all you like, because at the end of the day, I've received my awards and rewards and whiners like you watched from the bench. And from the sound of it, life hasn't changed much for you since then.

Guest Opinion
Ok, what's the issue regarding Legion Baseball. Grumblings say that it's in the best interest of the returning HS players to play. Is this indeed fact. Will their HS playing career be jeopardized? Is Legion a town recreation run thing or specific to The American Legion.

Of course it's in their best interest to play. The more practice time, the better they will be. In addition, you have the opportunity to show the coach your abilities over the course of a summer, so that you are a known quantity when it comes time to play in HS the following year. It's not that their decision not to play has direct negative consequences. It's that those who choose to play have the opportunity to become better, show the coach their abilities over an entire summer (as opposed to having to show what you can do in the minimal time before the high school season), and build chemistry with other teammates. You can see how that would put you at an advantage come the following tryout season.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest
Of course it's in their best interest to play. The more practice time, the better they will be. In addition, you have the opportunity to show the coach your abilities over the course of a summer, so that you are a known quantity when it comes time to play in HS the following year. It's not that their decision not to play has direct negative consequences. It's that those who choose to play have the opportunity to become better, show the coach their abilities over an entire summer (as opposed to having to show what you can do in the minimal time before the high school season), and build chemistry with other teammates. You can see how that would put you at an advantage come the following tryout season.

Boy I wish TK and JS were still coaching AL ball.

Those were some teams back then.