High School Students ~ Litter Bugs?

speedy1

I just got done with reading the article in The Observer about Kearny High School students being ticketed with littering, they claim that they are being stalked by the "Litter Police". First, I have been a Kearny resident for over 50yrs and I have seen these kids, walking and sitting on Kearny Avenue just drop, wrappers, soda cans, food containers and all types of garbage on the streets. The problem now, is that they are getting caught, I use to be proud to say I was from Kearny, the streets were clean we had kids hanging on the Ave, but they weren't like these kids. The DPW has garbage recepticles on every corner, so whats the problem? The two town employee's who gave the tickets are just doing their jobs. I don't care what these kids tell their parents, I have seen it first hand, as have many residents, the only problem is that they got caught. So I give my upmost respect to the " Litter Police", they are trying to Keep Kearny Clean. And if these practice's were taught at home from early childhood, then maybe we wouldn't have to "stalk " the kids.

Guest Grandma

I too am a resident of over 50 years in Kearny and was discusted that the parents, insead of repramanding their children and making them pay for the ticket themselves, instead they condone their behavior. Shame on theese parents. Children learn what they live. Here is what I thought amusing. If the paper just happened to fly out of the kids pocket and knew it was theirs, so why not just pick it up. DUH!!!!. That would have shown respect and pride in the community. I have never had money or stamps or papers just fly out of my pocket and if it did I am sure I would pick it back up. I applaud the Mayor for standing behind this employee for doing her job. Sure the kids knew they were in trouble for hitting their parents in the pocketbook so thus the story telling starts to get them out of trouble and blame someone else who is doing their job. As far as her hiding and watching the litterbugs I am sure if she was standing next to them they would use the garbage can. And why should you care where she is if your not guilty... (Give me a break) Hummmmm have any of theese kids been in trouble before???????. How come out of hundreds and hundreds of students only 30 or so tickets issued. Tells me something about the few that got them. How about you. I am in and out of the Library for the senior movies and am an avid reader and see first hand them throwing their garbage on the ground while the garbage can is a few feet away. I think us Seniors should be given ticket books for litterers, wanna see out taxes go down. If it was my kid I would have dragged them by the ear to the Library and made them clean it all up theirs or not.

Guest Guest

I would like to know why they are allowed to sit on the library steps and eat their lunch. They have benches all over the avenue,sit on them. People are trying to go in and out of the library and they are hanging all outside using foul language also. The police should ride up and down the avenue and chase them everytime the are in front of the library.

Guest Library Employee
I would like to know why they are allowed to sit on the library steps and eat their lunch. They have benches all over the avenue,sit on them. People are trying to go in and out of the library and they are hanging all outside using foul language also. The police should ride up and down the avenue and chase them everytime the are in front of the library.

Yes, it's annoying to have to basically walk over people when I'm going in to start an afternoon shift. They've got plenty of space without crowding that small area.

:unsure: Well, I have been there during the lunch hours, I see the police come and they move, but as they do they just drop stuff on the ground, so nonchlant, like who cares, WELL I DO, how dare these kids litter our streets, they all should be fined and community service performed. Give them a broom, some gloves and get moving. It is not up to the police dept. to babysit these kids, that is why in other towns they are not allowed off school grounds at lunch time. If the parents have a problem with this, then give them the broom. I have seen my grandson 5yrs old drop a wrapper on the ground, and I told him to pick it up, he did and then asked me why, I told him that he wouldn't do it at home, why would you do it in the street, where someone else has to clean it up. He is now 10yrs and he learned from being told, respect the town where you live, just like you would your home.

I too am a resident of over 50 years in Kearny and was discusted that the parents, insead of repramanding their children and making them pay for the ticket themselves, instead they condone their behavior. Shame on theese parents. Children learn what they live. Here is what I thought amusing. If the paper just happened to fly out of the kids pocket and knew it was theirs, so why not just pick it up. DUH!!!!. That would have shown respect and pride in the community. I have never had money or stamps or papers just fly out of my pocket and if it did I am sure I would pick it back up. I applaud the Mayor for standing behind this employee for doing her job. Sure the kids knew they were in trouble for hitting their parents in the pocketbook so thus the story telling starts to get them out of trouble and blame someone else who is doing their job. As far as her hiding and watching the litterbugs I am sure if she was standing next to them they would use the garbage can. And why should you care where she is if your not guilty... (Give me a break) Hummmmm have any of theese kids been in trouble before???????. How come out of hundreds and hundreds of students only 30 or so tickets issued. Tells me something about the few that got them. How about you. I am in and out of the Library for the senior movies and am an avid reader and see first hand them throwing their garbage on the ground while the garbage can is a few feet away. I think us Seniors should be given ticket books for litterers, wanna see out taxes go down. If it was my kid I would have dragged them by the ear to the Library and made them clean it all up theirs or not.

Grandma, if we as seniors had a ticket book, can you imagine the danger that would present? I wouldn't trust that one of these smart a-- kids wouldn't take revenge in some way. These kids know that they are wrong, but they don't care, they don't have to worry, if they destroy something, thier parents will take care of it. And I don't want to hear these parents say " Oh they are picking on my kid" I have children that grew up here they didn't do these things, they were brought up better than that. So we shall see, if they pay these tickets, I would sure like to know when their court date is so I could be there to listen to the line of s--t that comes out of their mouths

Guest *watcher*

uote name='speedy1' date='Mar 6 2008, 07:16 AM' post='83527']

Grandma, if we as seniors had a ticket book, can you imagine the danger that would present? I wouldn't trust that one of these smart a-- kids wouldn't take revenge in some way. These kids know that they are wrong, but they don't care, they don't have to worry, if they destroy something, thier parents will take care of it. And I don't want to hear these parents say " Oh they are picking on my kid" I have children that grew up here they didn't do these things, they were brought up better than that. So we shall see, if they pay these tickets, I would sure like to know when their court date is so I could be there to listen to the line of s--t that comes out of their mouths

Good job Kearny! Good job ticket giver ! That's the way to back your people and Town, Mayor.

Litterbugs, shape up and help keep Kearny clean. Hopefully a lesson was learned.

Watcher

I just got done with reading the article in The Observer about Kearny High School students being ticketed with littering, they claim that they are being stalked by the "Litter Police". First, I have been a Kearny resident for over 50yrs and I have seen these kids, walking and sitting on Kearny Avenue just drop, wrappers, soda cans, food containers and all types of garbage on the streets. The problem now, is that they are getting caught, I use to be proud to say I was from Kearny, the streets were clean we had kids hanging on the Ave, but they weren't like these kids. The DPW has garbage recepticles on every corner, so whats the problem? The two town employee's who gave the tickets are just doing their jobs. I don't care what these kids tell their parents, I have seen it first hand, as have many residents, the only problem is that they got caught. So I give my upmost respect to the " Litter Police", they are trying to Keep Kearny Clean. And if these practice's were taught at home from early childhood, then maybe we wouldn't have to "stalk " the kids.

Agreed. Every day there is litter on my property and I live a block away from the school. ANYONE who litters should get a ticket and so should anyone walking their dog that doesn't pick up after it. :lol:

Guest guest

I didn't know we had people on litter patrol. It's about time - they are obviously doing a good job!

When will parents stop making excuses for their kids? THey should be using this experience to teach them a lesson. Unfortunately, by the sounds of it, the parents are probably ignorant slobs.

Hopefully, when they go to court the judge will have the balls to enforce the fine and not be intimidated by these obnoxious parents and their kids!

Guest Guest
I didn't know we had people on litter patrol. It's about time - they are obviously doing a good job!

When will parents stop making excuses for their kids? THey should be using this experience to teach them a lesson. Unfortunately, by the sounds of it, the parents are probably ignorant slobs.

Hopefully, when they go to court the judge will have the balls to enforce the fine and not be intimidated by these obnoxious parents and their kids!

I don't remember what town it was, but I remember seeing a sign in some town in NJ that said that the fine for leaving dog waste around was $2,000. And lo and behold, didn't see any on the streets!

When it comes to easily-preventable, you-know-you-know-better stuff like this, I'm all in favor of jacking up the penalty like that. A deterrent that could earn the town some significant money from the stubborn/idiots. Win-win, I say.

Guest resident of Kearny

What About the Garbage men? Everytime they pick up garbage they tend to leave a mess behind on the ground also. They do not pick up what they drop they pull away and leave it there. Also the street cleaner I have watched it go by my house and the junk on the side of the curb is there when they are gone. What is being done to these guys?? NOTHING!

Guest it is me

It is about time someone is doing something. I live by the High School and these kids are so disrespectful, and drop their trash all over the place. The funny thing is that there are garbage cans by the school. It is just a shame that this kids are being raised with no morals or respect for other people's property. My 95 year old grandmother is out there picking up their trash. When I get home from work I have to deal with the same problem. It is not fair to all of us who respect the earth and other people's property. Next I have to pick up their trash (which will probably be today) I am going to bring it in into the Principal's office and see how he likes it.

Guest guest

While I agree that it should be monitored and the students taken to task I do not find the following things acceptable

1. that the "town official" who is giving out these "tickets" are not identifying themselves other than wearing an embroidered "TOWN OK KEARNY" shirt and then demanding that the students give them their information. As parents I think it is very upsetting that someone is approaching my child, not identifying themselves, and asking for their information. In this day and age we all know that is a dangerous practice

2. The student does not receive any actual ticket at the time of their offense. This also disturbs me. So you are asking for my child's information, bullying them with the cost of the ticket, not giving them a ticket number or the "town official" name but you will take their school issued ID to see if "they are lying"

3. I know of one child who was penalized because she put a drink container in a garbage can but because it wasn't a Town of Kearny garbage can she got fined.(she used a resident's garbage can)

4. Do you know that it is not the KPD giving out these "tickets" it is the Board of Health? Ao the person giving them out is simply a town employee without any guideline or codes of conduct

Again, I am in favor of the ticketing but I want it done in a manner that is as equitable as it can be and protecting our children and our community. I dont want children harrassed by someone who is power hungry and likes to chase kids down Kearny Ave.

While I agree that it should be monitored and the students taken to task I do not find the following things acceptable

1. that the "town official" who is giving out these "tickets" are not identifying themselves other than wearing an embroidered "TOWN OK KEARNY" shirt and then demanding that the students give them their information. As parents I think it is very upsetting that someone is approaching my child, not identifying themselves, and asking for their information. In this day and age we all know that is a dangerous practice

2. The student does not receive any actual ticket at the time of their offense. This also disturbs me. So you are asking for my child's information, bullying them with the cost of the ticket, not giving them a ticket number or the "town official" name but you will take their school issued ID to see if "they are lying"

3. I know of one child who was penalized because she put a drink container in a garbage can but because it wasn't a Town of Kearny garbage can she got fined.(she used a resident's garbage can)

4. Do you know that it is not the KPD giving out these "tickets" it is the Board of Health? Ao the person giving them out is simply a town employee without any guideline or codes of conduct

Again, I am in favor of the ticketing but I want it done in a manner that is as equitable as it can be and protecting our children and our community. I dont want children harrassed by someone who is power hungry and likes to chase kids down Kearny Ave.

Dear Guest

The town Health Department officers wear color coded uniform shirts, and when the health officer asks for their I.D., they ( the teen in question) are also entitled to ask to see theirs (respectfully), also 9 1/2 students out of 10 carry a cell phone, if they are that innocent or scared let them call the police to come and wittness the actions of the officer. Now the big one, we do not pay our police officers to pick up after your children, who should by this age, should know that it is illegal to litter.

Now to the matter of this child using a residents garbage can, that is also not permitted due to the fact that if it were a regular garbage recepticle, and they start throwing cans in there, who is going to get the fine for mixing recycl. with the reg. gatbage? sorry, but I think that what they(the town) is doing is the right thing, teach these kids at home and then when they are out they will respect where they live and won't be hounded by the " Litter Police"

Guest guest
Dear Guest

The town Health Department officers wear color coded uniform shirts, and when the health officer asks for their I.D., they ( the teen in question) are also entitled to ask to see theirs (respectfully), also 9 1/2 students out of 10 carry a cell phone, if they are that innocent or scared let them call the police to come and wittness the actions of the officer. Now the big one, we do not pay our police officers to pick up after your children, who should by this age, should know that it is illegal to litter.

Now to the matter of this child using a residents garbage can, that is also not permitted due to the fact that if it were a regular garbage recepticle, and they start throwing cans in there, who is going to get the fine for mixing recycl. with the reg. gatbage? sorry, but I think that what they(the town) is doing is the right thing, teach these kids at home and then when they are out they will respect where they live and won't be hounded by the " Litter Police"

You are certainly right. As I said before the children should be taken to task.

Yes many children carry a cellphone but do you honestly think that as they are being confronted they are going to say "wait a minute, I am scared and want to call my Mom" Dont you think it is in the best interest of the town to make proper arrangements for this "town official" to have credentials accessable or give some kind of written information concerning the intent of the summons?

The BOH has summons warnings that they leave in the mailboxes is someone put their trash out at the wrong time, wy not use something similar.

Do children only litter during lunch periods at KHS or should this "town official" be doing the "duty of the job" more than just 10:45-1:00 at the library. Where is this "town official" after school as most people have responded that is when their property is effected. I can tell you that the "town official" is back at the BOH by 1:15pm

I have instructed any of my children to ask for credentials when and if they are approached and if that person does not provide them then they are instructed to walk to the nearest safe establishment and ask to have the police called.

You have to wonder how this "town official" picks the child to get the summons. My bet is that the "town official" finds the easiest possible offenders and preys on them like my point in the previous post about the girl who was issued a summons for putting it in the wrong garbage can. I highly doubt the "town official" is stepping up to anyone he/she thinks will threaten him/her and that is not right!

I would love to see how many children have been issued a summons (through their parents). That info would be interesting.

You are certainly right. As I said before the children should be taken to task.

Yes many children carry a cellphone but do you honestly think that as they are being confronted they are going to say "wait a minute, I am scared and want to call my Mom" Dont you think it is in the best interest of the town to make proper arrangements for this "town official" to have credentials accessable or give some kind of written information concerning the intent of the summons?

The BOH has summons warnings that they leave in the mailboxes is someone put their trash out at the wrong time, wy not use something similar.

Do children only litter during lunch periods at KHS or should this "town official" be doing the "duty of the job" more than just 10:45-1:00 at the library. Where is this "town official" after school as most people have responded that is when their property is effected. I can tell you that the "town official" is back at the BOH by 1:15pm

I have instructed any of my children to ask for credentials when and if they are approached and if that person does not provide them then they are instructed to walk to the nearest safe establishment and ask to have the police called.

You have to wonder how this "town official" picks the child to get the summons. My bet is that the "town official" finds the easiest possible offenders and preys on them like my point in the previous post about the girl who was issued a summons for putting it in the wrong garbage can. I highly doubt the "town official" is stepping up to anyone he/she thinks will threaten him/her and that is not right!

I would love to see how many children have been issued a summons (through their parents). That info would be interesting.

I applaud the way that you have instructed your children, in this day & age you have to be careful. I have not been on the avenue at after school hours, so I can not say that the "town officials" are on that location. I do know that I live on the the high school route, two blocks from the chool, and I will tell you that every day I have to pick up soda & beverage containers, potatoe chip bags etc. off my front lawn, that is not fare either, but I do it, complain? to who? the school? that and a dollar wouldn't even get me a bus ride.

Yesterday at the St Patricks Day parade, I was in front of town hall with my family, the people standing next to us had four young boys, maybe freshmen, the yello tape was put up by the police dept for a reason, they in front of their parents ripped the tape down, started to heckle the marchers and using foul language, now this was in front of the parents, and they were not scolded, the parents look the other way. Now if they do these kinds of things in front of the parents, what do you think they would be like in a large group. So, I say that if they follow the kids down the ave. and see them doing wrong, bam, here is a ticket. The one thing I do agree with you about is that they should wear their town ID around their necks, like policemen, with a picture and badge number. I know that there are decent kids out there that get blamed for things that they didn't do, well the solution?, hang around with other people who don't get in trouble

Guest guest

Two posters previous have stated that theyare picking up litter from their lawns. That was my point in my last post. Why isnt this "town officia" working more than just the lunch periods. After school is just as serious. I can venture a guess that businesses might have complained and apparently their voices matter more than the taxpayers.

It is truly unbelievable what children are allowed to get away with these days. When parents start parenting you will see a better Kearny. That is not to say that we dont have a DYNAMIC group of youngsters as KHS. I wish they got more than just a littering tickets to get noticed.