New Feature on KOTW

KOTW

KOTW Members can now post calendar events on the Community Calendar.

Events posted by Members will the be reviewed by KOTW and added to the calendar.

Please feel free to add any events which would be interest to the KOTW community.

KOTW

So, do we get to guess where exactly the calendar actually is? :rolleyes:

Also, I notice no announcement for the very annoying new "feature" which is the need to answer a captcha (the thing where you have to write down the numbers and letters) every time a guest posts. :lol:

So, do we get to guess where exactly the calendar actually is? :rolleyes:

Also, I notice no announcement for the very annoying new "feature" which is the need to answer a captcha (the thing where you have to write down the numbers and letters) every time a guest posts. :lol:

The annoying new feature is part of the upgraded security so that the board is not flooded with spam posts. It is working. Unfortunately, it is the price that has to be paid to curtail the "hackers".

The Calendar can be accessed from the Calendar button on the top right hand bar next to Members.

KOTW

Guest Uncommon sense
The annoying new feature is part of the upgraded security so that the board is not flooded with spam posts. It is working.

Like my rock that repels bears?

What spam are you talking about? I've seen plenty of trolling (and that hasn't decreased since the 'feature' was added, obviously--captchas only deter automated spambots) here, but none of the spam that these captchas are made to protect against. So what's the point? Do you know what a captcha is for? It's to weed out automated spambots. It works by presenting an image that a live human can easily decipher, but that an automated program cannot (humans are MUCH better at spatial recognition than computers) All of the spam/trolling/etc. around here is done by real people. So...the captcha isn't accomplishing squat.

You don't seem very familiar with the ins and outs of forum security.

Unfortunately, it is the price that has to be paid to curtail the "hackers".

Wow. I stand by my previous statement. You really don't seem to understand what you're doing or why. Forum hacking VERY RARELY has anything to do with posting. Usually there is some exploit in the forum's backend itself. Again, this is NOT what captchas are for--they are for stopping automated bots from spamming a forum, usually with links to some site with ads and/or malware.

Sorry to be harsh, but I can see why the forum got hacked. You really seem clueless, to be honest.

For more information on captchas and their purpose: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

But as a quick tip, the kind of hacking KOTW was a victim of is something you, the administrator, have NO CONTROL OF other than keeping the forum software up to date. It is up to the people who code the ACTUAL FORUM to find and patch up vulnerabilities. A captcha has never stopped a hacker, and was never supposed to. You really should inform yourself better before you start randomly adding useless features (this forum is not NEARLY popular enough for a spammer to bother unleashing a spambot on--case in point, a spambot has never posted here, to my knowledge...I've been lurking around here for the better part of a year). Feel free to prove me wrong, of course, but I am seeing zero point to the captchas.

Like my rock that repels bears?

What spam are you talking about? I've seen plenty of trolling (and that hasn't decreased since the 'feature' was added, obviously--captchas only deter automated spambots) here, but none of the spam that these captchas are made to protect against. So what's the point? Do you know what a captcha is for? It's to weed out automated spambots. It works by presenting an image that a live human can easily decipher, but that an automated program cannot (humans are MUCH better at spatial recognition than computers) All of the spam/trolling/etc. around here is done by real people. So...the captcha isn't accomplishing squat.

You don't seem very familiar with the ins and outs of forum security.

Wow. I stand by my previous statement. You really don't seem to understand what you're doing or why. Forum hacking VERY RARELY has anything to do with posting. Usually there is some exploit in the forum's backend itself. Again, this is NOT what captchas are for--they are for stopping automated bots from spamming a forum, usually with links to some site with ads and/or malware.

Sorry to be harsh, but I can see why the forum got hacked. You really seem clueless, to be honest.

For more information on captchas and their purpose: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

But as a quick tip, the kind of hacking KOTW was a victim of is something you, the administrator, have NO CONTROL OF other than keeping the forum software up to date. It is up to the people who code the ACTUAL FORUM to find and patch up vulnerabilities. A captcha has never stopped a hacker, and was never supposed to. You really should inform yourself better before you start randomly adding useless features (this forum is not NEARLY popular enough for a spammer to bother unleashing a spambot on--case in point, a spambot has never posted here, to my knowledge...I've been lurking around here for the better part of a year). Feel free to prove me wrong, of course, but I am seeing zero point to the captchas.

Dear Uncommon sense:

The spam by spambots has existed for some time. KOTW has been deleting spam posts by using the moderator function of the Board. In fact, KOTW is still working on the East Newark and North Arlington boards to clear up spam. That is why I placed quote marks around word hacker in my previous post. Spammers are not hackers but they are just as annoying.

You are correct that KOTW was hacked by the exploitation of the software that is written by a third party. KOTW has installed the latest version and will continue to upgrade the software to insure (as much as possible) that the board does not get hacked again.

I appreciate your explanation. The captcha makes KOTW's job a little easier by eliminating spambots and that is why it was installed.

KOTW

• 1 month later...

KOTW wants to remind everyone that Members can post events in the Community Calendar section. This feature works much like the Discussion Board where Members post Calendar Events which are reviewed by KOTW prior to being made public.

If you belong to a local group, please feel free to post your events.

KOTW