Troll

Guest Radagast

Guest Radagast

Calculated Risk is a finance blog I visit now and again. http://calculatedrisk.blogspot.com/

I found this quote from Tanta very relevant to this board so I thought I'd reprint it:

"I cannot make anyone stop responding to pointless or nuisance comments. You have to want to restrain yourself, because you understand that the only way to get rid of them is to fail to give them the attention they want. A "troll" is not just someone whose comments you disagree with, or even just a nasty or badly-worded comment. A troll is someone who does not, under any possible set of circumstances, care what you think about him or his comments. He merely wants attention. Negative attention will do. The more you disagree with him, the more he is able to tell himself that he is persecuted and victimized or the only voice of reason or one of the elite few who has the God's-eye view of the world or whatever his current delusion is. If he isn't merely a narcissist who thrives on feeling attacked, he's just some putz who enjoys irritating other people. Therefore, you "feed" the troll by paying any attention to him at all. It does not matter what you say in response. Any response to a troll just encourages the troll.

Besides classic trolls, we have a few resident long-winded bores who believe that the rest of us have never been exposed to some trite, shallow, bombastic rant they just heard on the radio or read in Reader's Digest or saw in a vision, and feel compelled to share with the rest of us. These people lack any possible sense of context or audience; they are incapable of noticing that the bulk of our commenting community has been exposed to the world for a while now and is not interested in any comment that starts "there is one simple answer to this the rest of you aren't getting." It does you no good to respond to this type either; they'll just re-write the same comment again, at the same length, saying the same thing, until you "get it." They are bores with no self-awareness. The cool thing about the internet is that you can just scroll down to the next comment without being "rude." So take advantage of the medium."

Sage advice.

Calculated Risk is a finance blog I visit now and again. http://calculatedrisk.blogspot.com/

I found this quote from Tanta very relevant to this board so I thought I'd reprint it:

"I cannot make anyone stop responding to pointless or nuisance comments. You have to want to restrain yourself, because you understand that the only way to get rid of them is to fail to give them the attention they want. A "troll" is not just someone whose comments you disagree with, or even just a nasty or badly-worded comment. A troll is someone who does not, under any possible set of circumstances, care what you think about him or his comments. He merely wants attention. Negative attention will do. The more you disagree with him, the more he is able to tell himself that he is persecuted and victimized or the only voice of reason or one of the elite few who has the God's-eye view of the world or whatever his current delusion is. If he isn't merely a narcissist who thrives on feeling attacked, he's just some putz who enjoys irritating other people. Therefore, you "feed" the troll by paying any attention to him at all. It does not matter what you say in response. Any response to a troll just encourages the troll.

Besides classic trolls, we have a few resident long-winded bores who believe that the rest of us have never been exposed to some trite, shallow, bombastic rant they just heard on the radio or read in Reader's Digest or saw in a vision, and feel compelled to share with the rest of us. These people lack any possible sense of context or audience; they are incapable of noticing that the bulk of our commenting community has been exposed to the world for a while now and is not interested in any comment that starts "there is one simple answer to this the rest of you aren't getting." It does you no good to respond to this type either; they'll just re-write the same comment again, at the same length, saying the same thing, until you "get it." They are bores with no self-awareness. The cool thing about the internet is that you can just scroll down to the next comment without being "rude." So take advantage of the medium."

Sage advice.

You're right of course. Unfortunately, there isn't much activity on this board, considering how many people could be making a contribution. It's a shame.

Guest ClarusVisum
You're right of course. Unfortunately, there isn't much activity on this board, considering how many people could be making a contribution. It's a shame.

There is always that other Kearny board whose owner seems to want to foster meaningful contributions and discussion so badly. You can actually report trolling and stuff so that it's dealt with instead of ignored.

There is always that other Kearny board whose owner seems to want to foster meaningful contributions and discussion so badly. You can actually report trolling and stuff so that it's dealt with instead of ignored.

Thanks. Nothing like using KOTW to promote the competition.

KOTW

Guest ClarusVisum
Thanks. Nothing like using KOTW to promote the competition.

KOTW

First of all, it's not like we're talking about competing brands for some product. There is no profit or anything to speak of, so what's the big deal? As far as I can tell, you are just two people who both want to serve this community.

Secondly, I'm surprised you even allowed that post through, considering KNJ's (the person) apparently difficulty in even maintaining a signature that mentions their site because you'd censor and delete it. Yet, so much trolling goes completely ignored...

Thirdly, if you had allowed free expression earlier, then people would have known that there was another option when this board was hacked.

Fourthly, there is a topic on KNJ (the forum) about the 'pros' of using it (**). There is no doubt in my mind that if you wanted to go there and post something similar concerning KOTW, that the admin wouldn't censor you.

Fifthly, it's not like if someone signed up at KNJ, then they would magically and instantly be gone from KOTW. People are capable of participating in two forums, you know.

So why is it such a big deal for KOTW users to even be made aware that there is even another option?

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Guest ClarusVisum
Fourthly, there is a topic on KNJ (the forum) about the 'pros' of using it (**).

Well, you've made my point. "Edited for content," indeed. Is mentioning a website on par with strings of expletives, which is what I've seen most commonly "edited for content" around here? I suppose you'll also censor this link to Canessa's blog where in December of 2007 he himself mentioned the site?

http://thecanessacorner.blogspot.com/2007/...ing-kearny.html

Just curious to see what lengths you'll go to to keep KOTW members from knowing they have another choice. If I remember correctly, didn't you once say you wanted everyone to have a chance to express a point of view here? So, does that just apply where you want it to, then? What gives?