Hacked?

Guest Vic

I seen Joe W placed an announcement on NJ.com forum that Kearny on the web was hacked. I hear the Feds are on to who has been hacking into kearny residents computers. Just so your not a victim remove all news adds from your favorite places or these hackers will exploit your pass code then they read your sent mails and private information and click on your favorite places to send aggravating e mails to people on your buddy list without you even knowing they are doing it and your ISP shows up.

Guest Security Guy
I seen Joe W placed an announcement on NJ.com forum that Kearny on the web was hacked.

Just seemed like a matter of time--hackers see forums that are out of date and stagnant as easy targets, and for good reason.

I hear the Feds are on to who has been hacking into kearny residents computers.

Hacking into someone's computer itself is a totally different beast than hacking an old, outdated forum. This is a non-sequitur as far as I'm concerned. The latter is exponentially easier--any script kiddie with the right connections could do it with a couple of clicks.

Just so your not a victim remove all news adds from your favorite places

Uh, that would make little to no difference regarding anything. Don't throw out random warnings when you don't know what you're talking about--that's how paranoia spreads.

or these hackers will exploit your pass code

If you mean passWORD, the main ways to prevent someone from accessing whatever passworded account you have on any site is to:

1. Make your password hard to guess, so that it can't be easily "brute forced". Here are some tips for good password creation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_passwo...trong_passwords A mix of letters and numbers is a good start.

2. Don't run files you don't trust. No matter how strong your password is, if a malicious keylogger makes its way onto your system, it will literally be handed directly to the attacker.

then they read your sent mails and private information and click on your favorite places

Um, hacking generally doesn't involve looking at your "favorite places"; I've never heard of such a thing.

to send aggravating e mails to people on your buddy list

Buddy list? What buddy list? Windows (which I assume you're talking about) doesn't have a generic "buddy list". If you're talking about AIM or something like that, then a malicious person would have access to it if they knew your password, but, uh...that's not e-mail, that's instant messaging.

without you even knowing they are doing it and your ISP shows up.

If someone maliciously sent messages around to your contacts on an instant messenger, they wouldn't see "your ISP." Has AIM ever told you what ISP the person you're talking to is using?

This is all very incoherent, and downright nonsensical to someone (like me) who has some familiarity with this sort of thing. Most of what you said wouldn't even apply at all to hacking a forum.

Keep stuff like this to people who know what they're talking about--nonsense rambling like this will only confuse people.

Guest Keith-Marshall,Mo
Just seemed like a matter of time--hackers see forums that are out of date and stagnant as easy targets, and for good reason.

Hacking into someone's computer itself is a totally different beast than hacking an old, outdated forum. This is a non-sequitur as far as I'm concerned. The latter is exponentially easier--any script kiddie with the right connections could do it with a couple of clicks.

Uh, that would make little to no difference regarding anything. Don't throw out random warnings when you don't know what you're talking about--that's how paranoia spreads.

If you mean passWORD, the main ways to prevent someone from accessing whatever passworded account you have on any site is to:

1. Make your password hard to guess, so that it can't be easily "brute forced". Here are some tips for good password creation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_passwo...trong_passwords A mix of letters and numbers is a good start.

2. Don't run files you don't trust. No matter how strong your password is, if a malicious keylogger makes its way onto your system, it will literally be handed directly to the attacker.

Um, hacking generally doesn't involve looking at your "favorite places"; I've never heard of such a thing.

Buddy list? What buddy list? Windows (which I assume you're talking about) doesn't have a generic "buddy list". If you're talking about AIM or something like that, then a malicious person would have access to it if they knew your password, but, uh...that's not e-mail, that's instant messaging.

If someone maliciously sent messages around to your contacts on an instant messenger, they wouldn't see "your ISP." Has AIM ever told you what ISP the person you're talking to is using?

This is all very incoherent, and downright nonsensical to someone (like me) who has some familiarity with this sort of thing. Most of what you said wouldn't even apply at all to hacking a forum.

Keep stuff like this to people who know what they're talking about--nonsense rambling like this will only confuse people.

Thanx for the great info!

You Security guys, I guess you know more then the cyber crime detectives from the State Police that came to my house. What do you do work for that Lying Makes Cash out fit on the Pike "Wanna be's"