New Hockey Rink

AMG

I would just like the public to know the sequence of events regarding our new hockey rink and the problems with the surface.

In sept 2003 the asphalt was layed at the new rink, and I went down to check it out. I found it to be not very smooth, and very rough, with large stones used in the mix. It was like it was very cheap asphalt, not what you would use for roller blading. I called the Mayor who in turn called Neglia engineering. I was told by Neglia, dont worry there is another layer going on top which will be smoother. A few weeks later another layer was layed on top, and upon looking at that I found it was exactly the same as the first layer. Neglia was contacted once again and came to the site and stated dont worry there is still another surface which goes on top of this. A week or two later after the boards were put up, I saw the blue acrylic surface being put down and stopped to see how it was coming out. In speaking with the installer he stated "who layed down this asphalt its the wrong type, it has to many stones in it." I called Neglia engineering once again and they came down and decided it was within specs. We then had our opening right before election. At that time you could see the asphalt was still not smooth in many areas, and the blue was discolored because there was not enough acrylic applied to fill all the pock marks in the asphalt. Upon doing a walk through with Neglia, it was determined that the acrylic company would apply more coats of acrylic in the spring. With that the site was approved for play. Our league started playing on it and stones started popping out of the surface. (You can see where they came out, just look for the cement patches.) Now, this is still safe for street hockey, played on sneakers, but dangerous to anyone on skates. There are numerous areas on the rink which are bubbling up and breaking the surface, this is not the fault of the acrylic, but the asphalt underneath. This should not happen on a $300,000.00 project. The answer from Neglia is that we have a 2 year bond on the company to repair this. Im sorry that does not make it right. If they had demanded the asphalt be replaced back in Sept this wouldn't be. To better look at the problems with the asphalt used, take a look at the parking lot especially near the field house, and you will see what poor work was done. The company should have never been allowed to leave this site in the condition it is in.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions, and go inspect the site, see if you agree.

I would just like the public to know the sequence of events regarding our new hockey rink and the problems with the surface.

In sept 2003 the asphalt was layed at the new rink, and I went down to check it out. I found it to be not very smooth, and very rough, with large stones used in the mix. It was like it was very cheap asphalt, not what you would use for roller blading. I called the Mayor who in turn called Neglia engineering. I was told by Neglia, dont worry there is another layer going on top which will be smoother. A few weeks later another layer was layed on top, and upon looking at that I found it was exactly the same as the first layer. Neglia was contacted once again and came to the site and stated dont worry there is still another surface which goes on top of this. A week or two later after the boards were put up, I saw the blue acrylic surface being put down and stopped to see how it was coming out. In speaking with the installer he stated "who layed down this asphalt its the wrong type, it has to many stones in it." I called Neglia engineering once again and they came down and decided it was within specs. We then had our opening right before election. At that time you could see the asphalt was still not smooth in many areas, and the blue was discolored because there was not enough acrylic applied to fill all the pock marks in the asphalt. Upon doing a walk through with Neglia, it was determined that the acrylic company would apply more coats of acrylic in the spring. With that the site was approved for play. Our league started playing on it and stones started popping out of the surface. (You can see where they came out, just look for the cement patches.) Now, this it still safe for street hockey played on sneakers, but dangerous to anyone on skates. There are numerous areas on the rink which are bubbling up and breaking the surface, this is not the fault of the acrylic, but the asphalt underneath. This should not happen on a $300,000.00 project. The answer from Neglia is that we have a 2 year bond on the company to repair this. Im sorry that does not make it right. If they had damanded the asphalt be replaced back in Sept this wouldn't be. To better look at the problems with the asphalt used, take a look at the parking lot especially near the field house, and you will see what poor work was done. The company should have never been allowed to leave this site in the condition it is in.

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions, and go inspect the site, see if you agree.

Thanks for being on watch for us during this project. It is just A typical Kearny B.S. at its best. This is the way every project goes in this town. It is also so typical that they wait to do things for years , then try to cram them all in to be completed by the election & all of them are screwed up in one way or the other. Keep up the good work Tony, stay on thier asses!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TheDucks

In sept 2003 the asphalt was layed at the new rink, and I went down to check it out. I found it to be not very smooth, and very rough, with large stones used in the mix. It was like it was very cheap asphalt, not what you would use for roller blading. I called the Mayor who in turn called Neglia engineering. I was told by Neglia, dont worry there is another layer going on top which will be smoother. A few weeks later another layer was layed on top, and upon looking at that I found it was exactly the same as the first layer. Neglia was contacted once again and came to the site and stated dont worry there is still another surface which goes on top of this. A week or two later after the boards were put up, I saw the blue acrylic surface being put down and stopped to see how it was coming out. In speaking with the installer he stated "who layed down this asphalt its the wrong type, it has to many stones in it." I called Neglia engineering once again and they came down and decided it was within specs. We then had our opening right before election. At that time you could see the asphalt was still not smooth in many areas, and the blue was discolored because there was not enough acrylic applied to fill all the pock marks in the asphalt. Upon doing a walk through with Neglia, it was determined that the acrylic company would apply more coats of acrylic in the spring. With that the site was approved for play. Our league started playing on it and stones started popping out of the surface. (You can see where they came out, just look for the cement patches.) Now, this it still safe for street hockey played on sneakers, but dangerous to anyone on skates. There are numerous areas on the rink which are bubbling up and breaking the surface, this is not the fault of the acrylic, but the asphalt underneath. This should not happen on a $300,000.00 project. The answer from Neglia is that we have a 2 year bond on the company to repair this. Im sorry that does not make it right. If they had damanded the asphalt be replaced back in Sept this wouldn't be. To better look at the problems with the asphalt used, take a look at the parking lot especially near the field house, and you will see what poor work was done. The company should have never been allowed to leave this site in the condition it is in.

Thanks for being on watch for us during this project. It is just A typical Kearny B.S. at its best. This is the way every project goes in this town. It is also so typical that they wait to do things for years , then try to cram them all in to be completed by the election & all of them are screwed up in one way or the other. Keep up the good work Tony, stay on thier asses!!!!

That project is another example of overcharge. That project should not have cost anymore than 165,000.00 at the most

That project is another example of overcharge. That project should not have cost anymore than 165,000.00 at the most

$300,000. on a hockey rink, hell why not?

The benches on kearny ave cost over a thousand dollars($1,000.) and the planters cost $965.00

$300,000. on a hockey rink, hell why not?

The benches on kearny ave cost over a thousand dollars($1,000.) and the planters cost $965.00

I think they purchased them from NASA.

Archived