Going Of 4 Years

Guest TDOK_Guest

Guest TDOK_Guest

I don't know what you are all worried about.

(A) The Town has settled all the contracts with all the other unions in town

(:P The raises have all been the same

© The Town should have anticipated what raise the Fire Department would be getting

(D) The Town should have been setting aside the money for the anticipated raise

(E) When the Fire department settles, the FD shall get paid what they are owed.

So what is the big deal, you will get what your owed.

The big deal is that while they are waiting for what you say they will get anyway, gas and electric goes up, clothing cost go up, food bills go up, education cost go up, and PSE&G, the phone company, and colleges dont want to hear dont worry we will get it to you. They want their money now, not 4 years from now. Emergency services is one thing you want to have the best of in your town, and you also want to be able to afford it. If the firemen are asking no more than the other unions, then why should there be a hold for 4 years.

The big deal is that while they are waiting for what you say they will get anyway, gas and electric goes up, clothing cost go up, food bills go up, education cost go up, and PSE&G, the phone company, and colleges dont want to hear dont worry we will get it to you. They want their money now, not 4 years from now. Emergency services is one thing you want to have the best of in your town, and you also want to be able to afford it. If the firemen are asking no more than the other unions, then why should there be a hold for 4 years.

There is a hold because of the union demand for 24 hr. shifts. The town doesn't want to give in to a new demand to them without getting something in return. That is very normal in negotiations. If they give up the new demand of 24 hr. shifts, the contract will be settled for the same percentages all the other unions received (and who were not given 24 hr. shifts).

There is a hold because of the union demand for 24 hr. shifts. The town doesn't want to give in to a new demand to them without getting something in return. That is very normal in negotiations. If they give up the new demand of 24 hr. shifts, the contract will be settled for the same percentages all the other unions received (and who were not given 24 hr. shifts).

Get your facts straight. The 24 hr. shifts are far from a "new demand" as you put it. The union has been activlely pursuing this shift change since 1987 when Jersey City got it & it has been a prososal in this contract since 2001. So your "new demand" crap just dosen't cut it. By the way it is a proposal not a demand!

Get your facts straight. The 24 hr. shifts are far from a "new demand" as you put it. The union has been activlely pursuing this shift change since 1987 when Jersey City got it & it has been a prososal in this contract since 2001. So your "new demand" crap just dosen't cut it. By the way it is a proposal not a demand!

Excuse me..anything over and above the last contract is properly considered a "new demand" in negotiations. However, if you want to call it a proposal instead of a demand, be my guest. You are correct in that the union has been proposing 24 hr. shifts since the 1980's and that PROPOSAL was consistently denied.

Money, get away

Get a good job with good pay and you're okay

Money, it's a gas

Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash

New car, caviar, four star daydream,

Think I'll buy me a football team

Money, get back

I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack

Money, it's a hit

Don't give me that do goody good bullsh*t

I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set

And I think I need a Lear jet

Money, it's a crime

Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie

Money, so they say

Is the root of all evil today

But if you ask for a raise it's no surprise

That they're giving none away.

Excuse me..anything over and above the last contract is properly considered a "new demand" in negotiations. However, if you want to call it a proposal instead of a demand, be my guest. You are correct in that the union has been proposing 24 hr. shifts since the 1980's and that PROPOSAL was consistently denied.

This is the 1st contract that a shift change is actually negociable. Before this a shift change could just be implemented by the chief of the dept.

Do the Firemen think that everyone else is stupid? Why should they be allowed to decide their work hours? I am sick and tired of this liberal abuse. All the Kearny Firemen I know live out of town, except one. And they all live in towns with volunteer fire departments. Why aren't the taxpayers of Kearny allowed to require their emergency employees to live in Town, or at least, nearby. Civil Service has been, and still is, a major cause of urban demise. It started off noble, but has evolved into becoming the poster-child of liberalism gone mad.

Do the Firemen think that everyone else is stupid? Why should they be allowed to decide their work hours? I am sick and tired of this liberal abuse. All the Kearny Firemen I know live out of town, except one. And they all live in towns with volunteer fire departments. Why aren't the taxpayers of Kearny allowed to require their emergency employees to live in Town, or at least, nearby. Civil Service has been, and still is, a major cause of urban demise. It started off noble, but has evolved into becoming the poster-child of liberalism gone mad.

It is a state law allowing the employees to live anywhere in the state.The firemen are not deciding thier work hours they are just proposing a shift change. It is as beneficial to our town as it is to the firemen & it is exactly the same amount of hours as the current schedule. By the way it is about 50-50 on in town & out of town firemen.

Guest Guest 1

This is the 1st contract that a shift change is actually negociable. Before this a shift change could just be implemented by the chief of the dept.

You are correct and historically the fire chiefs have denied the shift change request

KOTW Note: I deleted a duplicate post by Guest who corrected "chiefs" with "fire chiefs". There was no change to the content of the post or site. Just doing a little housekeeping. If you sign in as a Member, you can edit your own posts and correct those inadvertent spelling error or missed word. Just a thought. You are still anonymous.

:lol: Give the FD a fair contract. <_<

Agreed. Give them the same percentage raise all the others got (who didn't get changes in their work hours) nothing more....nothing less. You go guys

Money, get away

Money, it's a gas

Money, get back

Money, it's a hit

Money, it's a crime

Money, so they say

After reviewing the Town's financial condition in our latest municipal audit, I would offer a new song:

Hey. Wait. I've got a new complaint.

Forever in debt to your priceless advice.

I didn't think Kurt Cobain even knew where Kearny was, let alone our financial condition.

Councilman Jim Mangin

Guest Guest 1
Money, get away

Money, it's a gas

Money, get back

Money, it's a hit

Money, it's a crime

Money, so they say

After reviewing the Town's financial condition in our latest municipal audit, I would offer a new song:

Hey. Wait. I've got a new complaint.

Forever in debt to your priceless advice.

I didn't think Kurt Cobain even knew where Kearny was, let alone our financial condition.

Councilman Jim Mangin

But don't forget, Kurt was clinically depressed!

Is there any way to privatize the fire dept or maybe combine services with surrounding towns. It seems we spend alot of money on something that is not needed often. I will admit it's a necessity but it also needs to be practical as far as cost goes. Yes the cost of everything goes up but the town needs to be financially responsible to its taxpayers. You simply cannot have safety no matter what the cost. If that were the case we would have a cop on every corner.

Is there any way to privatize the fire dept or maybe combine services with surrounding towns. It seems we spend alot of money on something that is not needed often. I will admit it's a necessity but it also needs to be practical as far as cost goes. Yes the cost of everything goes up but the town needs to be financially responsible to its taxpayers. You simply cannot have safety no matter what the cost. If that were the case we would have a cop on every corner.

OK, quit your job & you can be the start a new company. You can call it "My Private Fire Dept." You can be Chief. I hope you are god with #'s (you better be!). Remember don't spend to much $ on something that is not needed that much. If you ran your dept. like you preach it should be it would be bankrupt in a year.

Archived