Memorial Day

Guest Vet

Is my beloved Kearny the only town not doing anything for our veterans this Memorial Day? The parade was laughable. Where are the ceremonies, wreath layings, etc? What has happened to this town that once so proudly honored our war dead? Mayor, you need to do much more for those gave their lives for our great country. Don't you care? See what other towns are doing.

http://www.nj.com/newslogs/jjournal/

Guest Loki
Is my beloved Kearny the only town not doing anything for our veterans this Memorial Day? The parade was laughable. Where are the ceremonies, wreath layings, etc? What has happened to this town that once so proudly honored our war dead? Mayor, you need to do much more for those gave their lives for our great country. Don't you care? See what other towns are doing.

I offer my sincerest thanks for the service of you and everyone else who wears the uniform. What the veterans in this country have achieved through their service is inspirational, and I always take the opportunity to teach my children about these brave men and women. (And, if you ask them, they have been on some boring battlefields as vacations, but they leave with a respect that I can only hope pays due respect to our service people.)

Unfortunately too many have forgotten the sacrifice, made by others, that allow the freedoms they so openly enjoy. Our town has become a melting pot, I'm sure we even have some "guest workers" doing the jobs that others won't do (?), but apparently, they couldn't care less about the meaning of Memorial Day. (evidenced by attendance at the Memorial Day parade.)

Guest Concerned

quote=Vet,May 28 2006, 02:05 PM]

<_< If you are a veteran, and belong to any of the veteran organizations, you would have known the schedule of ceremonies. If ever in doubt of these dates contact the UVO of Kearny ! By the way, Thank you for serving our country

As a fellow veteran (U.S. Navy 1966-1972), I can understand your feelings, but this solemn day is not about parades and ceremonies. It is about remembering.

Remembering my friends and classmates who didn't have the chance to live the life I have led. Remembering those, like my friend Leo, who lost parts of both legs from a land mine in Viet Nam, and lived a living hell for many years before passing away. Remembering those from previous wars and conflicts who made the ultimate sacrifice protecting our freedoms and those of others around the world. Remembering that we who served did it without regret and with honor.

Don't worry about what other towns are doing because it really doesn't matter. What matters to me is that, whether I'm sitting on the beach, enjoy a picnic with my family or out shopping the sales, I REMEMBERED.

God Bless all who have made the sacrifice for me and mine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

GREAT RESPONSE.......THANK YOU TO ALL WHO GAVE EVERYTHING FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND TO THOSE STILL SERVING....THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU!!

Archived