May 2nd Meeting, To all Harrisonians

Michael Fernández

The Meeting on May 2nd ended with a resident at the podium, waiting to speak. It's just not right.

Here is a copy of the statement I made last night:

Mayor, Council, My name is Michael Fernández and I am a Business owner on 31 Harrison Ave. and a property owner of 27 & 29 Harrison ave. I am also the founder of Friends of Harrison P.A.C.

I approach the Council today to express my Concern; of the Council and Mayor;

for their over seeing of this Harrison Redevelopment Board;

under NJ State Statute, 40A:12A-27. (Oversight of governing body over redevelopment agency).

I would like to state my reasoning for such Concern:

1). for what I honestly believe is the most relevant action.

The knocking down of JFK stadium;

Allowing a Developer, to displace the Children’s Recreational fields, without securing a proper place for them; from little leaguers to seniors in High School all were affected.

The Harrison Soccer team was #1 in the State for the last 3 years, & this year they didn’t even place. Possible scholarships were lost for these kids. That’s just not right.

When anything gets between our kids, THERE SHOULD BE NO EXCUSE GOOD ENOUGH, & NO COMPROMISES TAKEN!.

The developers should have waited.

The Council should have stopped this from happening.

When the council became aware that the SCC was running into difficulties, immediate Action should have been taken to stop the developer.

May I remind the Council? they appoint each member of the Redevelopment Board/Agency.

Harrison’s children were left without a field to play football, soccer, baseball, softball.

The traditional high school homecoming festivities were cancelled.

Harrison’s athletes lost home field advantage and possibly scholarship opportunities.

Residents were deprived of recreational facilities.

2) The Harrison Redevelopment Board/Agency, appointed Developers to land in the redevelopment zone some years ago.

Some of that land is where my business is located on, 31 Harrison Ave.

Property my family owned & paid taxes on; for over 30 years; enduring the economical depression Harrison suffered. As business throughout Harrison, closed; my families hard work preserved the family tradition of the Spanish Pavillion, which puts Harrison on the Map!

I’ve been waiting since July 7th 2002, when Millrose Developers were appointed my land.

I saw drawings, of a building that was to be placed, where my business & land is located. I had less then year & a half, I was told.

Lawyers were hired and undo stress was bared.

How much longer can I wait?

I’ve been victimized by the developers & the Redevelopment board. The developer was in a rush to take over my property because it’s prime real estate. Now that they have the rights to my property, I have no chance to develop my-self nor do any of my neighbors.

Under NJ State Statute 40A:12A-9. (Agreements with redevelopers)

There is “a provision requiring the redeveloper to begin the building of the improvements for those uses within a period of time which the municipality or redevelopment entity fixes as reasonable”.

Mayor, Council;

What we as Harrisonians need, is security, security of our future.

To make sure that our future is headed in the right direction.

The New High School looks nice, and so does the field, but the fact that Harrisonians went 1 year with out proper recreational fields, is horrible, a disgrace.

I believe that this Harrison Redevelopment Board should be replaced, with a board that’s more sensitive to the needs of Harrisonians.

Thank you for your time and I hope this Council will take proper action, in regards to my request of replacing this redevelopment Board. I hope that future decisions, by the Council and Redevelopment Board/Agency, will continue to serve this community, the best they can.

Guest Guest
The Meeting on May 2nd ended with a resident at the podium, waiting to speak.  It's just not right.

Mayor, Council, My name is Michael Fernández and I am a Business owner on 31 Harrison Ave. and a property owner of 27 & 29 Harrison ave.  I am also the founder of Friends of Harrison P.A.C.

under NJ State Statute, 40A:12A-27.  (Oversight of governing body over redevelopment agency). 

Allowing a Developer, to displace the Children’s Recreational fields, without securing a proper place for them; from little leaguers to seniors in High School all were affected.

The Harrison Soccer team was #1 in the State for the last 3 years, & this year they didn’t even place. Possible scholarships were lost for these kids.  That’s just not right.

When anything gets between our kids, THERE SHOULD BE NO EXCUSE GOOD ENOUGH, & NO COMPROMISES TAKEN!.

When the council became aware that the SCC was running into difficulties, immediate Action should have been taken to stop the developer.

May I remind the Council? they appoint each member of the Redevelopment Board/Agency.

Harrison’s children were left without a field to play football, soccer, baseball, softball.

Harrison’s athletes lost home field advantage and possibly scholarship opportunities.

2) The Harrison Redevelopment Board/Agency, appointed Developers to land in the redevelopment zone some years ago. 

Property my family owned & paid taxes on; for over 30 years; enduring the economical depression Harrison suffered.  As business throughout Harrison, closed; my families hard work preserved the family tradition of the Spanish Pavillion, which puts Harrison on the Map! 

I’ve been waiting since July 7th 2002, when Millrose Developers were appointed my land. 

I saw drawings, of a building that was to be placed, where my business & land is located.  I had less then year & a half, I was told.

I’ve been victimized by the developers & the Redevelopment board.  The developer was in a rush to take over my property because it’s prime real estate.  Now that they have the rights to my property, I have no chance to develop my-self nor do any of my neighbors.

Under NJ State Statute 40A:12A-9.  (Agreements with redevelopers)

There is “a provision requiring the redeveloper to begin the building of the improvements for those uses within a period of time which the municipality or redevelopment entity fixes as reasonable”.

Mayor, Council;

The New High School looks nice, and so does the field, but the fact that Harrisonians went 1 year with out proper recreational fields, is horrible, a disgrace.

I believe that this Harrison Redevelopment Board should be replaced, with a board that’s more sensitive to the needs of Harrisonians.

Thank you for your time and I hope this Council will take proper action, in regards to my request of replacing this redevelopment Board.  I hope that future decisions, by the Council and Redevelopment Board/Agency, will continue to serve this community, the best they can.

yeah but walter made more sense! vote walter!

Guest Guest
The Meeting on May 2nd ended with a resident at the podium, waiting to speak.  It's just not right.

Mayor, Council, My name is Michael Fernández and I am a Business owner on 31 Harrison Ave. and a property owner of 27 & 29 Harrison ave.  I am also the founder of Friends of Harrison P.A.C.

under NJ State Statute, 40A:12A-27.  (Oversight of governing body over redevelopment agency). 

The Harrison Soccer team was #1 in the State for the last 3 years, & this year they didn’t even place. Possible scholarships were lost for these kids.  That’s just not right.

Property my family owned & paid taxes on; for over 30 years; enduring the economical depression Harrison suffered.  As business throughout Harrison, closed; my families hard work preserved the family tradition of the Spanish Pavillion, which puts Harrison on the Map! 

I saw drawings, of a building that was to be placed, where my business & land is located.  I had less then year & a half, I was told.

I’ve been victimized by the developers & the Redevelopment board.  The developer was in a rush to take over my property because it’s prime real estate.  Now that they have the rights to my property, I have no chance to develop my-self nor do any of my neighbors.

Under NJ State Statute 40A:12A-9.  (Agreements with redevelopers)

Mayor, Council;

Thank you for your time and I hope this Council will take proper action, in regards to my request of replacing this redevelopment Board.  I hope that future decisions, by the Council and Redevelopment Board/Agency, will continue to serve this community, the best they can.

Only residents should be allowed to speak at council meetings. There time should not be wasted by people from other towns. That is why a resident was left standing there, you took all the time.

Guest Guest
Only residents should be allowed to speak at council meetings.  There time should not be wasted by people from other towns.  That is why a resident was left standing there, you took all the time.

He is a business owner in Harrison...he has a large interest in the town of Harrison, because that is where his livelihood is...Residents and business owners should be able to speak. Business owners pay a great deal of taxes in Harrison, and spend their entire day there..When it's time to ask for donations toward town events, Business owners are the first to be hit. If they are good enough to donate toward benefits in Harrison, then they are good enough to express their concerns and be heard.

Guest True True!!

Little leaguers left out Rowing down the river

Thursday, April 27, 2006

By ROSE DUGER

JOURNAL CORRESPONDENT

HARRISON - A shortage of fields has left the town's little leaguers scrambling to find a place to practice.

Until the 2004 season, the Little League teams practiced at West Hudson Park and John F. Kennedy Stadium, a facility they shared with Harrison High School's baseball and softball teams.

The demolition of John F. Kennedy Stadium last year to make way for upscale townhomes as part of Harrison's redevelopment plan has sent the high school and recreational teams to West Hudson Park, which has just three usable fields. One of those fields is also used by Kearny High School's girls' softball team.

Steve McCormick, who coaches a Little League team sponsored by the local Police Department, said his team often explores the park trying to locate a place to practice. Often, they end up in a rocky area west of Davis Avenue that has no diamond or backstop.

"The high school teams have priority, and I understand that," said McCormick, whose team practices three times a week. "What's nuts to me is that we can't use the Little League field for our practices. We never could and I don't understand that."

Harrison has just one functioning baseball diamond. The Harrison Avenue facility is used solely for games by 12 teams in the Little League and other town leagues.

Recreation Director Joe Bubenas said the field is jammed with games Mondays through Thursdays, with Fridays reserved to make up games that have been rained out. Games are also played there on Saturdays.

"The problem is we don't have the stadium to practice in. We're strapped for fields," said Bubenas. "It's really hard to free the field up for practices. I wish I could."

The completion of a new stadium near the park may help matters, Bubenas indicated. The complex, which is adjacent to the new Harrison High School under construction, will house several ball fields.

"Hopefully when that's completed, we can work out a schedule (for Little League practices)," said Bubenas, who is also a member of the town's Board of Education.

McCormick pointed in exasperation to the town's plan to redevelop 275 acres of largely industrial complexes into upscale townhomes, retail and commercial space, a parking garage and stadium for the Red Bulls Major League Soccer team.

"With all of the redevelopment they should add some recreational space for the kids," he said, noting that the planned housing for the redevelopment zone will bring more children to town. "These fields are pretty much full. If it's tough now with these fields, what's it going to be like with more kids?"

Guest Guest
He is a business owner in Harrison...he has a large interest in the town of Harrison, because that is where his livelihood is...Residents and business owners should be able to speak.  Business owners pay a great deal of taxes in Harrison, and spend their entire day there..When it's time to ask for donations toward town events, Business owners are the first to be hit.  If they are good enough to donate toward benefits in Harrison, then they are good enough to express their concerns and be heard.

I agree with you completely. I can not believe how many ignorant people post here. To say that a business owner can not speak at a town meeting is just mindless, aimless, IGNORANCE. I am sure if the poster that stated that had a business that was affected by the redevelopment we would hear him squaking at every meeting.

Guest 2smart4u
Little leaguers left out Rowing down the river

Thursday, April 27, 2006

By ROSE DUGER

JOURNAL CORRESPONDENT

HARRISON - A shortage of fields has left the town's little leaguers scrambling to find a place to practice.

Until the 2004 season, the Little League teams practiced at West Hudson Park and John F. Kennedy Stadium, a facility they shared with Harrison High School's baseball and softball teams.

The demolition of John F. Kennedy Stadium last year to make way for upscale townhomes as part of Harrison's redevelopment plan has sent the high school and recreational teams to West Hudson Park, which has just three usable fields. One of those fields is also used by Kearny High School's girls' softball team.

Steve McCormick, who coaches a Little League team sponsored by the local Police Department, said his team often explores the park trying to locate a place to practice. Often, they end up in a rocky area west of Davis Avenue that has no diamond or backstop.

"The high school teams have priority, and I understand that," said McCormick, whose team practices three times a week. "What's nuts to me is that we can't use the Little League field for our practices. We never could and I don't understand that."

Harrison has just one functioning baseball diamond. The Harrison Avenue facility is used solely for games by 12 teams in the Little League and other town leagues.

Recreation Director Joe Bubenas said the field is jammed with games Mondays through Thursdays, with Fridays reserved to make up games that have been rained out. Games are also played there on Saturdays.

"The problem is we don't have the stadium to practice in. We're strapped for fields," said Bubenas. "It's really hard to free the field up for practices. I wish I could."

The completion of a new stadium near the park may help matters, Bubenas indicated. The complex, which is adjacent to the new Harrison High School under construction, will house several ball fields.

"Hopefully when that's completed, we can work out a schedule (for Little League practices)," said Bubenas, who is also a member of the town's Board of Education.

McCormick pointed in exasperation to the town's plan to redevelop 275 acres of largely industrial complexes into upscale townhomes, retail and commercial space, a parking garage and stadium for the Red Bulls Major League Soccer team.

"With all of the redevelopment they should add some recreational space for the kids," he said, noting that the planned housing for the redevelopment zone will bring more children to town. "These fields are pretty much full. If it's tough now with these fields, what's it going to be like with more kids?"

Because there is such a lack of recreational space, our kids are being cheated out of a very important part of their lives. Shame on this mayor and council for not including recreation space in this redevelopment area. With all the new housing units being built, it's only going to get worse.

Other towns have organized team sports for pre-teens so when they get into high school they have some experience playing together and have developed some skills. Harrison kids have none of that and are at a disadvantage playing against these other schools. The mayor and council had the chance to correct this situation, to help our kids, to do something positive for our kids and they blew it.

Guest Guest
Only residents should be allowed to speak at council meetings.  There time should not be wasted by people from other towns.  That is why a resident was left standing there, you took all the time.

I remember Tom Powell being allowed to speak at meetings while he was a resident of Verona.

Guest Guest

i agree with u 100% my son is on the high school baseball team and i don't think

it's fair we have to go to other towns becasue we don't have a field of our own

they should have left JFK up until we had a new stadium, and now the new stadium is up and we still have to go to out of town games.

a concerned mother

you go Hinchy

Michael Hinchcliffe for Mayor!!!!!!

now maybe things will get done the right way!!!!!!!

Guest Guest
He is a business owner in Harrison...he has a large interest in the town of Harrison, because that is where his livelihood is...Residents and business owners should be able to speak.  Business owners pay a great deal of taxes in Harrison, and spend their entire day there..When it's time to ask for donations toward town events, Business owners are the first to be hit.  If they are good enough to donate toward benefits in Harrison, then they are good enough to express their concerns and be heard.

I work in Newark and it is a mess everywhere can i vote there?

Guest Guest
I work in Newark and it is a mess everywhere can i vote there?

who said anything about voting? we are talking about voicing concerns...if you are a business owner and your livelihood is in a town, then you shoul dhave the right to speak your mind and have interest in the town which you do your business in. I work in Newark as well, however I don't own a business in Newark. If I did, then I would definitely be present at meetings that concerned my area of business anything that would affect my interests.

Your comment is just a smart ass answer.

Guest guest
i agree with u 100% my son is on the high school baseball team and i don't think

it's fair we have to go to other towns becasue we don't have a field of our own

they should have left JFK up until we had a new stadium, and now the new stadium is up and we still have to go to out of town games.

a concerned mother

you go Hinchy

Michael Hinchcliffe for Mayor!!!!!!

now maybe things will get done the right way!!!!!!!

I have small children and there is no place for them to practice we have to practice on a small piece of the grass in the park that is not taken by anyone else and that is not helping the kids learn, we have no set up as far as a baseball field, how are we supposed to teach these kids the fundamentals of the game when we don't have the appropriate places or materials? Why can't we use the little league on Sunday or a day when there isn't anyone using it??? late Saturday afternoons? If we want these kids to stay involved with school and sports this town better spice it up, these kids deserve a chance to make it.

Archived