Harrison Redevelopment goes to court

Michael Fernández

1st Eminent Domain Court Case

This is big Harrison.

I was just informed that the Harrison Redevelopment Agency is taking a few PROPERTY OWNERS to court to exercise their right of Eminent Domain.

Jersey City Court

595 Newark Ave.

Jersey City

9:00 am

Judge: Maurice Gallipoli (I think that’s how you spell the name)

Plaintiff - Town of Harrison Redevelopment Agency

Defendant - Serreira, Metro Lounge... (Harrisonians)

The hearing is to appoint commissioners who basically will appraise the property to be TAKEN. If the property owners do not contest, then the only remaining issues will be how much money will be given to property owners affected.

From my understanding, the owner of the property where the Metro Lounge is located was offered $350,000 for the property. The owner of the property is asking for $500,000 minimum.

How I see it is, if they build 4 condos on his property at $400,000 each condo, deduct the cost of building, the rest is what his property is worth.

$400,000 x 4 = $1,600,000 - $1,000,000(construction cost) = $600,000 for the property owner.

I think anyone who cares about the redevelopment and how it will affect Harrisonians should attend this court case. I will be leaving from the Spanish Pavillion at 8:00am if anyone would like to accompany me.

Guest Guest
1st Eminent Domain Court Case

This is big Harrison.

I was just informed that the Harrison Redevelopment Agency is taking a few PROPERTY OWNERS to court to exercise their right of Eminent Domain. 

Jersey City Court

595 Newark Ave.

Jersey City

9:00 am

Judge: Maurice Gallipoli (I think that’s how you spell the name)

Plaintiff - Town of Harrison Redevelopment Agency

Defendant - Serreira, Metro Lounge... (Harrisonians)

The hearing is to appoint commissioners who basically will appraise the property to be TAKEN.  If the property owners do not contest, then the only remaining issues will be how much money will be given to property owners affected.

From my understanding, the owner of the property where the Metro Lounge is located was offered $350,000 for the property.  The owner of the property is asking for $500,000 minimum. 

How I see it is, if they build 4 condos on his property at $400,000 each condo, deduct the cost of building, the rest is what his property is worth.

$400,000 x 4 = $1,600,000 - $1,000,000(construction cost) = $600,000 for the property owner.

I think anyone who cares about the redevelopment and how it will affect Harrisonians should attend this court case.  I will be leaving from the Spanish Pavillion at 8:00am if anyone would like to accompany me.

Hey Mike ,

first of all I don't have a dog in this fight.It just seems to me that you would not be involved in this at all if it really didn't affect you and your family's business directly.Now I'm going to be honest with you.Is this all about squeezing the re-development group for as much as you can get(and there is really nothing wrong with that) or are you really concerned with the Town Of Harrison?.It just seems to me you came out of nowhere because you didn't get your way and now you are marshalling the citizens of the town to help you fight your battle .Where the hell was your concern from the beginning.?Are you going to disappear as soon as you get your way or are you going to continue to battle for the downtrodden of Harrison?

Right now you're swimming upstream .You're getting hit in the face with the waves of progress .Are you going to take the first life preserver they toss you .What happens to the people who jumped out of the boat with you.

Don't get me wrong I'm not that thrilled with everything that has been going on ,BUT,Harrison 's choice is either to swim or keep threading water.When you start to swim sometimes it's not too pretty but at least you're going some where.

Pardon all the water metaphors but you better be sincere or you're going to hurt a whole lot of people.Hazard zet forward.

Guest guest
what day is that?

they should investigate how many times people have fought the law and the law won. Sorry, but don't waste your time or money. You may be able to find one case, if that, of a individual winning against eminant domain.

Archived