The Truth about Kearny Property Values

Jim Mangin

There have been several postings about the increase in Kearny property values. Property values in Kearny are up - substantially. But what about the other towns in our area? Is this a Kearny phenomenon only? When I checked into this I was surprised by the results.

A recent Star Ledger analysis shows good news and bad news. The good news - Kearny property values have risen 94.2% since 2000. The bad news - everyone else's rose higher. Here are the breakdowns for municipalities in our area:

Montclair 116.5%

Newark 114.2%

Belleville 113.8%

North Bergen 111.1%

Nutley 108.7%

Jersey City 107.8%

Bloomfield 105.3%

Harrison 104.0%

Lyndhurst 99.3%

North Arlington 95.2%

Kearny 94.2%

Higher property values in Kearny are a myth. Back in 2000 if 11 individuals bought homes in each of the 11 municipalities listed, the one who bought in Kearny would reap the smallest return from their investment.

The ship is sinking folks. Need more proof - just ask about the Fiscal 2007 tax increase. The Mayor and Council now want to borrow from money that's due Kearny in 2007. What happens next year? Simple - the 2007 tax increase will have us yearning for the "good ole days," like 2006!

Jim Mangin

There have been several postings about the increase in Kearny property values. Property values in Kearny are up - substantially. But what about the other towns in our area? Is this a Kearny phenomenon only? When I checked into this I was surprised by the results.

A recent Star Ledger analysis shows good news and bad news. The good news - Kearny property values have risen 94.2% since 2000. The bad news - everyone else's rose higher. Here are the breakdowns for municipalities in our area:

Montclair          116.5%

Newark            114.2%

Belleville          113.8%

North Bergen    111.1%

Nutley              108.7%

Jersey City        107.8%

Bloomfield        105.3%

Harrison            104.0%

Lyndhurst            99.3%

North Arlington    95.2%

Kearny                94.2%

Higher property values in Kearny are a myth. Back in 2000 if 11 individuals bought homes in each of the 11 municipalities listed, the one who bought in Kearny would reap the smallest return from their investment.

The ship is sinking folks. Need more proof - just ask about the Fiscal 2007 tax increase. The Mayor and Council now want to borrow from money that's due Kearny in 2007. What happens next year? Simple - the 2007 tax increase will have us yearning for the "good ole days," like 2006!

Jim Mangin

Jim you were never on the council when taxes where raised, you never voted yea when some of the deadbeats were hired. Get real you were there you vote with them till there was the Big falling out & you got dumped. The county democrats look good then how about now. Jim lets face it the Democrats in this, town, county & state are the most corrupt in the nation. New Jersey as a whole is a laughing stock redeem yourself become a Republican. Maybe what you have to post will seem more factual then. Jim we need change everyone can read their tax bills. If your side of the fence is wrong ( Democrats ) then isn't it time to look at the opposition and just see if you could fit in even if its just a vote.

Jim you were never on the council when taxes where raised, you never voted yea when some of the deadbeats were hired. Get real you were there you vote with them till there was the Big falling out & you got dumped. The county democrats look good then how about now. Jim lets face it the Democrats in this, town, county & state are the most corrupt in the nation. New Jersey as a whole is a laughing stock redeem yourself become a Republican. Maybe what you have to post will seem more factual then.  Jim we need change everyone can read their tax bills. If your side of the fence is wrong ( Democrats ) then isn't it time to look at the opposition and just see if you could fit in even if its just a vote.

The problem with property values in Kearny (in fact every problem in Kearny) is not a "Democrat" problem or a "Republican" problem. It's a Kearny problem. And it will only be solved if people put the interests of Kearny before their individual parties - Democratic or Republican.

I've never, for one second, believed that the people of Kearny voted for any individual in a local election based on that person's party affiliation. I'm a Democrat, but I have voted for Republican candidates on the local level. I think most Kearny people do vote and have voted for the person and not his/her party.

There are a number of steps that the Mayor and Council can take to ensure that our property values continue to rise. Will you damn those efforts because they came from Democrats? If I offer solutions, will you only consider them if I call myself a Republican? I say let's drop the party labels and get back to work addressing the problems in Town.

Jim Mangin

The problem with property values in Kearny (in fact every problem in Kearny) is not a "Democrat" problem or a "Republican" problem. It's a Kearny problem. And it will only be solved if people put the interests of Kearny before their individual parties - Democratic or Republican.

I've never, for one second, believed that the people of Kearny voted for any individual in a local election based on that person's party affiliation. I'm a Democrat, but I have voted for Republican candidates on the local level. I think most Kearny people do vote and have voted for the person and not his/her party.

There are a number of steps that the Mayor and Council can take to ensure that our property values continue to rise. Will you damn those efforts because they came from Democrats? If I offer solutions, will you only consider them if I call myself a Republican? I say let's drop the party labels and get back to work addressing the problems in Town.

Jim Mangin

Jim lets face the truth your party is the problem state wide. Remember all politics are local heavy spending start right here. If we curb our spending watch were our money goes like all the SCC moneys that who knows where then it dose matter what party is in on a local level this just one issue there are more lets also face the fact that your party has been poison for this town on a broad range of thing some other issues are hiring, stacking & rateable taxes from business (I'm not talking about Wal-Mart give aways) frankly the people of Kearny can' t afford another waltz with democrats everything is relivant local or not

Guest taxpaper

Jim Mangin

HATS OFF TO YOU! You have the brains to straighten the mess Kearny is in. I hope one day you are the mayor .

Get real!!!! This is Hudson County and NJ. They will be the last blue county and state before the demise of the Democratic Party. I'd say 90% percent of voters vote along their lines in this area. You are not the norm.

Newark            114.2%

North Bergen    111.1%

Bloomfield        105.3%

North Arlington    95.2%

Jim Mangin

It would be interesting to see this in relation to property taxes.

Newark            114.2%

North Bergen    111.1%

Bloomfield        105.3%

North Arlington    95.2%

Jim Mangin

THEY S**K

Get real!!!! This is Hudson County and NJ. They will be the last blue county and state before the demise of the Democratic Party. I'd say 90% percent of voters vote along their lines in this area. You are not the norm.

This may be Hudson County, but more importantly - it's still Kearny. Remember in the late 80's when Democrats held an 8-1 majority on the Town Council? One huge tax increase and two elections later and Republicans were on the top side of an 8-1 majority. Political party affiliation is not as strong as the rest of Hudson County. People tend to vote for who they feel will keep their taxes down and their property values up.

And for those that feel that elected officials have nothing to do with property values - just look at the sky high increase in property values in Montclair. What happened in Montclair between 2000-2005?

They got our train, remember? The quick commute to Manhattan from Kearny is now a quick commute from Montclair. Kearny's loss is Montclair's gain.

And, in my opinion, you can lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of Kearny's elected officials who failed to sound the alarm about the train pulling out until it was too late.

Jim Mangin

Guest Guest
This may be Hudson County, but more importantly - it's still Kearny. Remember in the late 80's when Democrats held an 8-1 majority on the Town Council? One huge tax increase and two elections later and Republicans were on the top side of an 8-1 majority. Political party affiliation is not as strong as the rest of Hudson County. People tend to vote for who they feel will keep their taxes down and their property values up.

And for those that feel that elected officials have nothing to do with property values - just look at the sky high increase in property values in Montclair. What happened in Montclair between 2000-2005?

They got our train, remember? The quick commute to Manhattan from Kearny is now a quick commute from Montclair. Kearny's loss is Montclair's gain.

And, in my opinion, you can lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of Kearny's elected officials who failed to sound the alarm about the train pulling out until it was too late.

Jim Mangin

Right on the money again.

Guest Guest

Jim Mangin

Jim On this we can agree. Wouldn't it be nice to rearrange the deck chair on this sinking ship before it goes to the bottom. If we change the faces at the helm maybe we just run the good ship Kearny up on the beach

Guest Guest

Jim Mangin

SANTOS DID NOTHING TO STOP THE TRAIN STATION CLOSING!!!!!

Guest Guest

Jim Mangin

Jim do you live on earth or what?

First of all there is no comparison between Montclair and the likes of Kearny. It's like comparing the Upper West Side of Manhattan with the Bowery.

Secondly, do you really think NJ Transit was going to maintain train service for the few people that used the Kearny stop.

Guest Guest

Newark            114.2%

North Bergen    111.1%

Bloomfield        105.3%

North Arlington    95.2%

Jim Mangin

The difference in increase between Montclair and Kearny is miniscule. The questions are what effect will the tax increase have? Will services increase substantially? Will taxes go down when the real estate gains drop?

Most importantly, what part did your time on the council play in setting the town up for this situation?

Jim do you live on earth or what? 

First of all there is no comparison between Montclair and the likes of Kearny.  It's like comparing the Upper West Side of Manhattan with the Bowery. 

The difference in increase between Montclair and Kearny is miniscule.  The questions are what effect will the tax increase have? Will services increase substantially? Will taxes go down when the real estate gains drop?

Most importantly, what part did your time on the council play in setting the town up for this situation?

Did anyone else notice that these two posts are only 7 minutes apart, but state two completely conflicting ideas? One post says the difference between Kearny and Montclair is enormous, and the other says it is "miniscule."

Speaking as a property owner, I don't find the difference in property values "miniscule."

And I am very proud of my time served on the Town Council trying to improve property values. However, I am not at all proud of all the missed opportunities by the Mayor and Council to improve property values. Several of my plans were not only rejected; the Mayor and Council refused to even discuss them.

But, there's still time and still quite a few steps that can be taken now to reverse this trend. But, will the Mayor and Council be willing to discuss them?

Jim Mangin

Guest Mr. Ryan
Did anyone else notice that these two posts are only 7 minutes apart, but state two completely conflicting ideas? One post says the difference between Kearny and Montclair is enormous, and the other says it is "miniscule."

Speaking as a property owner, I don't find the difference in property values "miniscule."

And I am very proud of my time served on the Town Council trying to improve property values. However, I am not at all proud of all the missed opportunities by the Mayor and Council to improve property values. Several of my plans were not only rejected; the Mayor and Council refused to even discuss them.

But, there's still time and still quite a few steps that can be taken now to reverse this trend. But, will the Mayor and Council be willing to discuss them?

Jim Mangin

This will only happen when you become mayor. I have seen the Mayor not listening to anyone look what happened to those people with the sewage problem.Jim you are FOR THE PEOPLE you have to straighten this mad man out. I suggest you send your great posts to the Observer SO MORE PEOPLE CAN BE INFORMED.And I support the idea to impeach Santos.

Guest Guest

Jim Mangin

One post says the difference in the percentage of increase is "miniscule". The other post says that the quality of the two towns are worlds apart. You crack me up. You don't consider the difference between 116% and 94% to be very small, considering the difference in the quality of life in Montclair vs. Kearny?

The fact is that all of the towns listed are riding the wave of an increasing real estate market. I doubt that you or any of the other "political giants" of Kearny could due anything to influence the current real estate market either way. Although you, the mayor, and his puppets have done a bang up job trying to kill it.

Your proud? of What? The fact that when you were on the council you, the mayor, and the rest of the crew set the stage for the highest tax increases and a myriad of other finacial problems.

Guest Guest
This will only happen when you become mayor. I have seen the Mayor not listening to anyone look what happened to those people with the sewage problem.Jim you are FOR THE PEOPLE you have to straighten this mad man out. I suggest you send your great posts to the Observer SO MORE PEOPLE CAN BE INFORMED.And I support the idea to impeach Santos.

Stop these jackass posts. Impeach him on what grounds, that he has the peronality of a wet rag? Your time to remove him has passed. Why didn't you campaign against him out in public. Now you want Mangin, what did he do with his time on the council or the BOE?

The fact is that all of the towns listed are riding the wave of an increasing real estate market.  I doubt that you or any of the other "political giants" of Kearny could due anything to influence the current real estate market either way.  Although you, the mayor, and his puppets have done a bang up job trying to kill it.

Your proud? of What? The fact that when you were on the council you, the mayor, and the rest of the crew set the stage for the highest tax increases and a myriad of other finacial problems.

There is no way I'm gonna let a post stand unchallenged that puts me in the same group as "the mayor and his puppets."

I said I was proud of my time served on the Council but, as I'll be the first to admit, my time was substantially less productive than I had hoped.

But, I won't take the blame for the tax increase. I voted against the F'04 budget but only after offering almost $400,000 in potential budget cuts which were ignored.

I voted against the $4.2 million "Pine Sol bond" but only after offering an alternative to use $1.8 million in capital surplus (which the Mayor claimed didn't exist). That alternative would have saved $480,000 in administrative costs.

I voted against the 2004 increase in water rates (just another municipal tax) but only after offering an alternative to fund the capital improvements that were needed.

Finally, no one knows better than I about the "myriad of other financial problems" facing the Town of Kearny. I guarantee you don't know half as many as I do. What have you (or anyone else) done about it? In addition to speaking out I've written to officials in Trenton asking for their assistance.

While it would be easy to blame everyone else for the $9 million deficit in 2002, I explained where we as a Council were to blame and what steps we needed to take to prevent it from happening again. Sadly . . . it's happened again.

Stay tuned.

Jim Mangin

Stop these jackass posts.  Impeach him on what grounds, that he has the peronality of a wet rag?  Your time to remove him has passed.  Why didn't you campaign against him out in public.  Now you want Mangin, what did he do with his time on the council or the BOE?

I can tell you what I didn't do. I didn't sit there with my mouth shut - not offering alternatives or expressing my opinions. But, since this thread is about property values, I'll tell you what I did with my time on the Council to protect proerty values.

When the residents of Park Avenue complained about the dangerous icing condition, I acted. I proposed an emergency appropriation to address the problem.

When the residents of King St and Schuyler Ave pleaded with the Mayor and Council for relief from the raw sewage in their basements, I acted. I proposed a resolution to get the ball rolling for funding to fix the problem.

When the residents of Clinton Avenue came to me about all the homes in the Manor being bought, torn down, and sub-divided, I acted. I wrote the original ordinance creating the "Manor Zone" and setting minimum lot sizes for it.

There's so much more that can be done to protect property values. And yet, I haven't heard one suggestion from the Mayor and Council in the last two years on the subject.

Jim Mangin

Guest Guest
I can tell you what I didn't do. I didn't sit there with my mouth shut - not offering alternatives or expressing my opinions. But, since this thread is about property values, I'll tell you what I did with my time on the Council to protect proerty values.

When the residents of Park Avenue complained about the dangerous icing condition, I acted. I proposed an emergency appropriation to address the problem.

When the residents of King St and Schuyler Ave pleaded with the Mayor and Council for relief from the raw sewage in their basements, I acted. I proposed a resolution to get the ball rolling for funding to fix the problem.

When the residents of Clinton Avenue came to me about all the homes in the Manor being bought, torn down, and sub-divided, I acted. I wrote the original ordinance creating the "Manor Zone" and setting minimum lot sizes for it.

There's so much more that can be done to protect property values. And yet, I haven't heard one suggestion from the Mayor and Council in the last two years on the subject.

Jim Mangin

Some nice claims, but none of them are the reasons why property values are where they are.

Guest Guest
There is no way I'm gonna let a post stand unchallenged that puts me in the same group as "the mayor and his puppets."

I said I was proud of my time served on the Council but, as I'll be the first to admit, my time was substantially less productive than I had hoped.

But, I won't take the blame for the tax increase. I voted against the F'04 budget but only after offering almost $400,000 in potential budget cuts which were ignored.

I voted against the $4.2 million "Pine Sol bond" but only after offering an alternative to use $1.8 million in capital surplus (which the Mayor claimed didn't exist). That alternative would have saved $480,000 in administrative costs.

I voted against the 2004 increase in water rates (just another municipal tax) but only after offering an alternative to fund the capital improvements that were needed.

Finally, no one knows better than I about the "myriad of other financial problems" facing the Town of Kearny. I guarantee you don't know half as many as I do. What have you (or anyone else) done about it? In addition to speaking out I've written to officials in Trenton asking for their assistance.

While it would be easy to blame everyone else for the $9 million deficit in 2002, I explained where we as a Council were to blame and what steps we needed to take to prevent it from happening again. Sadly . . . it's happened again.

Stay tuned.

Jim Mangin

Stay tuned? Is that your way of saying you're going to run for council again? You point to those petty "solutions" as a way to close an enormous deficit and you want the people to vote for you?

You should have ended your post with the following; it happened on my watch, it's happening again, and if you vote for me it will continue to happen.

Archived