What's wrong with our schools ???

Guest Angry Taxpayer

Guest Angry Taxpayer

Reading the school scores in the Observer, I have to wonder...... What is wrong with our schools. It can't be money because we're spending per student FAR MORE than any other school district. The salaries we pay are out of sight. So what's the problem; Incompetent teachers ?? Lack of dicipline in the classrooms ?? Uncaring parents ?? The mayor appoints the Board of Education members so I think the mayor should get off his butt and demand answers. For the money we're paying, we should have the best scores, not the worst.

Reading the school scores in the Observer, I have to wonder......  What is wrong with our schools.  It can't be money because we're spending per student FAR MORE than any other school district. The salaries we pay are out of sight. So what's the problem;  Incompetent teachers ??  Lack of dicipline in the classrooms ?? Uncaring parents ??  The mayor appoints the Board of Education members so I think the mayor should get off his butt and demand answers. For the money we're paying, we should have the best scores, not the worst.

The problem is kids that don't speak ENGLISH!!

Reading the school scores in the Observer, I have to wonder......  What is wrong with our schools.  It can't be money because we're spending per student FAR MORE than any other school district. The salaries we pay are out of sight. So what's the problem;  Incompetent teachers ??  Lack of dicipline in the classrooms ?? Uncaring parents ??  The mayor appoints the Board of Education members so I think the mayor should get off his butt and demand answers. For the money we're paying, we should have the best scores, not the worst.

Have you not seen the students that attend our schools? The majority is non-English speaking students, therefore they do poorly on the English and sometimes the Math sections of the tests, hence, the low scores.

A way to get the scores to rise is to make English as a Second Language classes obsolete, and make ENGLISH their first language, since they are in America, but that will never happen because we cater to those who don't speak the language. But I digress.

How about the mobility rate i.e. people moving in and out of the district? How about 70% of the students in the district speaking english as a second language in their homes?How about not enough interest among parents to have a P.T.A. or a Booster club in the high school?Two years ago when the scores were well above the state levels no one was looking for answers for why our schools were performing so well.There was no praise just people doing their jobs,just like they will continue to do them.Next year depending on the population Harrison might be back on top again.

The salaries were not higher than Kearny yet the taxpayers paid 56% of the bill as opposed to 23% in Harrison. There are incompetent people in every profession,but against all odds many of the educators in Harrison are performing miracles with one hand tied behind their back(no parental support).

Guest Starts at Home

You can't really blame the teachers, it all starts at HOME and that is where a child is supposed to be taught manners and respect, that is a big problem today, these kids do not have respect. The teachers can only go so far with discipline, the discipline has to come from the parents. It is real easy to start blaming but I can tell you this I praise the teachers in the Harrison School System it is not an easy job, it is not always about just being a teacher there are kids that are coming from bad situations that need a little TLC or someone to talk to I think they go beyond their call of duty. THE PARENTS NEED TO GET INVOLVED!!!! They need to take action with their kids if they want the best for them.

The reason why the kids are failing is the neopotism in the hiring of teachers, staff and on the Board of Education.

There is a tremendous waste of Abbott District monies on administration. There are teachers who are unqualified and are carried month to month as emergency appointments. If the state pulled the Abbott money the Board of Education (read Mayor Yes Mayor people) would have to hide from a riot from taxpayers. At this time, the average resident does not realize that their taxes would double if the state pulled its funding. With that amount of money being wasted there is no excuse for the poor rankings.

Harrison High School used to be a good school. But nepotism has slowly but surely turned it into a very poor performance school. The State should fire anyone that does not have a Certification to Teach and hire new teachers with the proper credentials.

The fact that students are bilingual (first language was not English) was never a detriment in the past. Many of Harrison High School's best students spoke English as their second language. What has happened in Harrison is that the nepotism has destroyed the moral of the professionals and resulted in exactly what we have today: a poor school system.

Governor Corzine assign someone to do a personnel chart and you will see that people are unqualified and in positions only because of who they know not what they know.

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE THERE ARE A FEW GOOD TEACHERS AT HHS.TO SAY THE LEAST I HAVE SENIOR AND I CANNOT WAIT FOR THEM TO GRADUATE I HAD 2 INCIDENTS WITH 2TEACHERS THAT GOES BEYOND THE CALL OF TEACHING THEY SHOULD NOT BE TEACHING .THEY HAVE ISSUES AND THE CHILDREN IN THE CLASSROOM SUFFER.ENGLISH SHOULD BE THE FIRST LANGUAGE NEVER MIND THERE SECOND LANGUAGE.THIS IS AMERICA LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH.GOD BLESS AMERICA.

The reason why the kids are failing is the neopotism in the hiring of teachers, staff and on the Board of Education.

There is a tremendous waste of Abbott District monies on administration.  There are teachers who are unqualified and are carried month to month as emergency appointments.  If the state pulled the Abbott money the Board of Education (read Mayor Yes Mayor people) would have to hide from a riot from taxpayers.  At this time, the average resident does not realize that their taxes would double if the state pulled its funding.  With that amount of money being wasted there is no excuse for the poor rankings.

Harrison High School used to be a good school.  But nepotism has slowly but surely turned it into a very poor performance school.  The State should fire anyone that does not have a Certification to Teach and hire new teachers with the proper credentials.

The fact that students are bilingual (first language was not English) was never a detriment in the past.  Many of Harrison High School's best students spoke English as their second language.  What has happened in Harrison is that the nepotism has destroyed the moral of the professionals and resulted in exactly what we have today: a poor school system.

Governor Corzine assign someone to do a personnel chart and you will see that people are unqualified and in positions only because of who they know not what they know.

And you are a horse's a$$! You don't have clue what you're talking about or you'r e just a blatant liar.You're another one of these clowns who throws out lies and go unchallenged.Anyone you are referring to about certification could only be the few who were waitng for their paperwork to come back from the backlogged Commissioner of Education offices.Corzine doesn't need to appoint anyone.Those people are already in place, you idiot .You just can't go hiring anyone without the proper credentials.Drop by any of the schools ,ask if you can sit in on a class.You 're entitled.Get a taste of reality.See what these teachers deal with, day in and day out.Maybe your view would change.I think you just have an axe to grind

Guest The WIFE

The Mayors wife as a guidance counselor is evidence. Can you imagine asking her for guidance?Now imagine you are a student with English as a second language. :unsure::):blink:She doesn't belong there

There is a tremendous waste of Abbott District monies on administration.  There are teachers who are unqualified and are carried month to month as emergency appointments.  If the state pulled the Abbott money the Board of Education (read Mayor Yes Mayor people) would have to hide from a riot from taxpayers.  At this time, the average resident does not realize that their taxes would double if the state pulled its funding.  With that amount of money being wasted there is no excuse for the poor rankings.

Harrison High School used to be a good school.  But nepotism has slowly but surely turned it into a very poor performance school.  The State should fire anyone that does not have a Certification to Teach and hire new teachers with the proper credentials.

The fact that students are bilingual (first language was not English) was never a detriment in the past.  Many of Harrison High School's best students spoke English as their second language.  What has happened in Harrison is that the nepotism has destroyed the moral of the professionals and resulted in exactly what we have today: a poor school system.

nepotism in the school system?no way?that only works at the hpd! :unsure:

Guest The Meeting

Today there was a meeting. Pure publicity bullsh!t. Come on Mayor, your doing it with the Metrostars. You pump the public with Junk. The new High School is not only another disgrace to your regimn, but so were the results in the papers from the State. You try to turn it around and say the school looks great. What other reason would you have the meeting?

The Facts are:

1). The school is built on contaminated land

1a). The land was so contaminated that it took almost a year longer to build.

2). You say the land is clean, but I heard that 4 times already.

3). The School still isn't big enough to hold the students you are going to bring in with this re-development.

4). It cost 15,000+ per student

How about the mobility rate i.e. people moving in and out of the district? How about 70% of the students in the district speaking english as a second language in their homes?How about not enough interest among parents to have a P.T.A. or a Booster club in the high school?Two years ago when the scores were well above the state levels no one was looking for answers for why our schools were performing so well.There was no praise just people doing their jobs,just like they will continue to do them.Next year depending on the population Harrison might be back on top again.

The salaries were not higher than Kearny yet the taxpayers paid 56% of the bill as opposed to 23% in Harrison. There are incompetent people in every profession,but against all odds many of the educators in Harrison are performing miracles with one hand tied behind their back(no parental support).

I am 75 and went to school in the poor coal mining areas of Penn. where 70% of the student and parents were immigrant from Poland, Germany, Lithuania, Slovakia, etc. and English also was their second language. There were rarely if ever, any 'special' English language classes for the parents or the students. We had FORTY students to a class, no English language help, and those of us who didn't know any or little English, had to pick it up from the neighborhood kids or our schoolmates. My older sister went to 1st grade only speaking Polish, but had to pick it up on her own as did the other immigrant kids and she was an average student throughout high school. Until you mastered English and the classwork in your grade, the teacher kept us back a grade and did not send us on to the next grade until we had mastered the earlier grade. That made the next grade's work come 'much' easier than if the teacher had promoted us unprepared. All this was accomplished with a large class of well diciplined kids, and a 'small' education budget and books that were often 20yrs. old. Our poor, illiterate, immigrant parents expected us to obey the teacher and the attitude was "You go to school to learn and if you'acted up' thay 'expected' the teacher to punish you 'within reason' and the teachers made a 'visit' to your home if the 'situation' didn't improve and then you got a 'second' puishment from your parents. And the 8th & 12th grade reading, math and social studies scores were 'better' then than now with all of the 'money' dished out.

Today there was a meeting.  Pure publicity bullsh!t.  Come on Mayor, your doing it with the Metrostars.  You pump the public with Junk.  The new High School is not only another disgrace to your regimn, but so were the results in the papers from the State.  You try to turn it around and say the school looks great.  What other reason would you have the meeting?

The Facts are:

1). The school is built on contaminated land

1a). The land was so contaminated that it took almost a year longer to build.

2). You say the land is clean, but I heard that 4 times already.

3). The School still isn't big enough to hold the students you are going to bring in with this re-development.

4). It cost 15,000+ per student

In read of actual cases in the Star Ledger that in Maplewood, South Orange, Livingston, the school boards are "actively' 'verifying' the students and parents' addresses by requesting and checking electric & gas bills, telephone bills, rent receipts of all students to make sure that they 'live' in the school district. To be cartain, they even make a 'surprise' visit to the address the student gave, to verify appropriate residence and parent(s) living there. If they aren't supposed to be in that school, the parents are 'CHARGED" BACK TUITION and have to pay'tuition if they want their kids to attend school in that district.

If money is so tight in Harrison and taxes so high, then 'why' are the homeowners and school board doing a 'thorough' verification on 'each' student, to weed out the moochers and freeloaders and bill them for 'PAST EDUCATIONAL SERVICES RENDERED"? This would cut back on a few teachers, school costs, and save $00,000 + per year!

In read of actual cases in the Star Ledger that in Maplewood, South Orange, Livingston, the school boards are "actively'  'verifying' the students and parents' addresses by requesting and checking electric & gas bills, telephone bills, rent receipts of all students to make sure that they 'live' in the school district.  To be cartain, they even make a 'surprise' visit to the address the student gave, to verify appropriate residence and parent(s) living there. If they aren't supposed to be in that school, the parents are 'CHARGED" BACK TUITION and have to pay'tuition if they  want their kids to attend school in that district.

If money is so tight in Harrison and taxes so high, then 'why' are the homeowners and school board  doing a 'thorough' verification on 'each' student, to weed out the moochers and freeloaders and bill them for 'PAST EDUCATIONAL SERVICES RENDERED"?  This would cut back on a few teachers, school costs, and save $00,000 + per year!

go ahead and verify their addresses. Where these kids come from is not the issue. The BOE spends $16000 per student. Governor Corzine could save money by shutting down the Harrison school system, sell the buildings for condos, and send the kids out to private schools. It would cost less than $16,000 per student. The best private schools in New Jersey don't cost $16,000 per student. If you spent that much you should have excellent results not the worst results. Don't blame the kids, we have teachers who are simply not teaching because their name not their qualifications have gotten them the job.

go ahead and verify their addresses.  Where these kids come from is not the issue.  The BOE spends $16000 per student.  Governor Corzine could save money by shutting down the Harrison school system, sell the buildings for condos, and send the kids out to private schools.  It would cost less than $16,000 per student.  The best private schools in New Jersey don't cost $16,000 per student.  If you spent that much you should have excellent results not the worst results.  Don't blame the kids, we have teachers who are simply not teaching because their name not their qualifications have gotten them the job.

hey how about this? no english no degree. stop assisting these illegals to run the school system with the great soccer push and the ghetto fab clothing and music. shut down the sports dept for a while and push for higher education. ge trid of these old bitter no sense teachers we have teaching our children everything but what is necessary. stop the push to night school, night school is meant for adults not minors with no purpose. start enforcing curfews and guidelines for this new age teachers who feel they are going to be friends to their students not role models. the board of ed needs to go. we need people who's kids are in the school system and endure the same rules. people that care! mandate parents to attend pta and other school functions. they do in private schools.

hey how about this? no english no degree. stop assisting these illegals to run the school system with the great soccer push and the ghetto fab clothing and music. shut down the sports dept for a while and push for higher education. ge trid of these old bitter no sense teachers we have teaching our children everything but what is necessary. stop the push to night school, night school is meant for adults not minors with no purpose. start enforcing curfews and guidelines for this new age teachers who feel they are going to be friends to their students not role models. the board of ed needs to go. we need people who's kids are in the school system and endure the same rules. people that care!
Sounds like you have a problem with the spanish speaking people. Move to Pennsylvania then, untill then you have a problem and finding a solution would be wise. HOW ABOUT VOTING SOME SPANISH SPEAKING PEOPLE TO THE COUNCIL. 50% OF THIS TOWN SPEAKS ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE. DEAL WITH IT AND FIND A SOLUTION TO MAKE THIS COUNTRY A BETTER PLACE.
mandate parents to attend pta and other school functions. they do in private schools.
NOW THIS IDEA ISN'T A BAD ONE.

Sounds like you have a problem with the spanish speaking people.  Move to Pennsylvania then, untill then you have a problem and finding a solution would be wise.  HOW ABOUT VOTING SOME SPANISH SPEAKING PEOPLE TO THE COUNCIL.  50% OF THIS TOWN SPEAKS ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE.  DEAL WITH IT AND FIND A SOLUTION TO MAKE THIS COUNTRY A BETTER PLACE.NOW THIS IDEA ISN'T A BAD ONE.

yeah that's a great idea .shut down the sports department that way we can have gangs not teams.What the hell does athletics have to do with the scores on tests?Get rid of the old no nonsense teachers another baffling solution maybe we need more of them and parents like them.trying reading what you write

Guest Angry Taxpayer
Sounds like you have a problem with the spanish speaking people.  Move to Pennsylvania then, untill then you have a problem and finding a solution would be wise.  HOW ABOUT VOTING SOME SPANISH SPEAKING PEOPLE TO THE COUNCIL.  50% OF THIS TOWN SPEAKS ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE.  DEAL WITH IT AND FIND A SOLUTION TO MAKE THIS COUNTRY A BETTER PLACE.NOW THIS IDEA ISN'T A BAD ONE.

$16,000 a year per student ?? You can buy a quality education for that kind of money. Seton Hall Prep, Newark Academy, Oratory, Bergen Catholic, Morris Catholic, Delbarton, are all in the $16,000 tuition range. So this must mean that Harrison is providing an education equal to these schools, right ??

I am 75 and went to school in the poor coal mining areas of Penn. where 70% of the student and parents were immigrant from Poland, Germany, Lithuania, Slovakia, etc. and English also was their second language.  There were rarely if ever, any 'special' English language classes for the parents or the students.  We had FORTY students to a class, no English language help, and those of us who didn't know any or little English, had to pick it up from the neighborhood kids or our schoolmates.  My older sister went to 1st grade only speaking Polish,  but had to pick it up on her own as did the other immigrant kids and she was an average student throughout high school.  Until you mastered English and the classwork in  your grade, the teacher kept us back a grade and did not send us on to the next grade until we had mastered the earlier grade.  That made the next grade's work come 'much' easier than if the teacher had promoted us unprepared.  All this was accomplished with a large class of well diciplined kids, and a 'small' education budget  and books that were often 20yrs. old.  Our poor, illiterate, immigrant parents expected us to obey the teacher and the attitude was "You go to school to learn and if you'acted up' thay 'expected' the teacher to punish you 'within reason' and the teachers made a 'visit' to your home if the 'situation' didn't improve and then you got a 'second' puishment from your parents.  And the 8th & 12th grade reading, math and social studies scores were 'better' then than now with all of the 'money' dished out.

Well said. And if I'm not mistaken your generation is the one given credit for all the advances of our nation. Thank you.

yeah that's a great idea .shut down the sports department that way we can have gangs not teams.What the hell does athletics have to do with the scores on tests?Get rid of the old no nonsense teachers another baffling solution maybe we need more of them and parents like them.trying reading what you write

not if they are out encouring my son to drink along with them. not if they play buddy to my son and cover up their illegal activities. NO I DON'T WANT THESE IMMATURE IDIOTS, I'M SORRY BUT TEACHERS SHOULD NOT HANG AND PARTY WITH THEIR STUDENTS! :lol:

I was 'born here in Harrison, but 'my parents' werr immigrants who learned English and called themselves Americans. Nationality has nothing to do with the 'BAD' and 'EXPENSIVE' Harrison school system.

Archived