Quality of Life in Kearny

Guest Not Now

Guest Not Now

Only serious responses please...

I'm a lifelong resident of Kearny and cannot remember the issues I'm about to list being so out of control as they are now and have consistently gotten worse over the last year or so. It’s at the point now that when I come home from work my aggravation level increases as I approach my home.

I've been quite long enough but no longer, I want to return to a time when I can come home, relax and enjoy the evening. I pay more than enough taxes that one would think should allow me to enjoy a simple quality of life without aggravation caused by the following.

Some dogs consistently barking without any efforts by their owners to even attempt to quite them. If barking isn’t bad enough, dog owners disregard the leash law in my neighbor, allow their dogs to defecate on my lawn, sometimes directly in from pf my sign asking to please don’t… I’ve asked several in a nice way, some abide others continue as if it were their property. Still others think my lawn is a park, they have their dogs roll around and dig it up.

Parking - This is crazy. Not only do I have to deal with the brain dead that simply pull over and take up 2 spaces without the slightest regard for anyone else but there are so many commercial vehicles parked near my home that I'm beginning to believe the Police have been told not to enforce the commercial parking ordinance. I walked around my block last night and counted 8. Not large trailers but pick-ups and vans; some with commercial plates, 1 with an out of state plate that’s always here and some with passenger plates that are obviously commercially used.

That’s enough for now, the more I write this the more disgusted I get.

So, if you have nothing constructive to say please refrain from saying anything, I don’t need to hear the usual “Well then move” this is my home and I’m trying to make it better for myself and others that deserve better.

I'm a lifelong resident of Kearny and cannot remember the issues I'm about to list being so out of control as they are now and have consistently gotten worse over the last year or so. It’s at the point now that when I come home from work my aggravation level increases as I approach my home.

I've been quite long enough but no longer, I want to return to a time when I can come home, relax and enjoy the evening. I pay more than enough taxes that one would think should  allow me to enjoy a simple quality of life without aggravation caused by the following.

Some dogs consistently barking without any efforts by their owners to even attempt to quite them. If barking isn’t bad enough, dog owners disregard the leash law in my neighbor, allow their dogs to defecate on my lawn, sometimes directly in from pf my sign asking to please don’t… I’ve asked several in a nice way, some abide others continue as if it were their property. Still others think my lawn is a park, they have their dogs roll around and dig it up.

Parking - This is crazy. Not only do I have to deal with the brain dead that simply pull over and take up 2 spaces without the slightest regard for anyone else but there are so many commercial vehicles parked near my home that I'm beginning to believe the Police have been told not to enforce the commercial parking ordinance. I walked around my block last night and counted 8. Not large trailers but pick-ups and vans; some with commercial plates, 1 with an out of state plate that’s always here and some with passenger plates that are obviously commercially used.

So, if you have nothing constructive to say please refrain from saying anything, I don’t need to hear the usual “Well then move” this is my home and I’m trying to make it better for myself and others that deserve better.

:( so whats the problem? none of this is new! i moved away back in 73! and not 1 thing has changed about parking!! but the mayor will let stacking go on in town!its just to many homes in a very small town! and all want to drive and i do not see anything wrong with lite trucks parking in town! hell that is all i own! and if its used for work thats fine! what do you want all to do ride bikes? that law was passed back in the 60s to stop BIG TRUCKS FROM PARKING ALL OVER TOWN! infact it was over kenworthey moving on maple street that got it started! it was not ment to stop small business owners from driving the small del trucks home! and out of towners ? look if all out of towners was stoped here in fla from parking the state would go broke! the problem IS TO MANY PEOPLE !!! to many homes! and the word is STACKING! your town is not alone partroy and most of morris county is having the same problem with STACKING! BUT LIKE I SAID IT WAS BAD BACK IN THE 50/60/70S get a good mayor and this just mite get fixed! NAH!

:( so whats the problem? none of this is new! i moved away back in 73! and not 1 thing has changed about parking!! but the mayor will let stacking go on in town!its just to many homes in a very small town! and all want to drive and i do not see anything wrong with lite trucks parking in town! hell that is all i own! and if its used for work thats fine! what do you want all to do ride bikes? that law was passed back in the 60s to stop BIG TRUCKS FROM PARKING ALL OVER TOWN! infact it was over kenworthey moving on maple street that got it started! it was not ment to stop small business owners from driving the small del trucks home! and out of towners ? look if all out of towners was stoped here in fla from parking the state would go broke! the problem IS TO MANY PEOPLE !!! to many homes! and the word is STACKING! your town is not alone partroy and most of morris county is having the same problem with STACKING! BUT LIKE I SAID IT WAS BAD BACK IN THE 50/60/70S get a good mayor and this just mite get fixed!    NAH!

No Farty it was never as bad as it is now. 20 people in one appartment and each one has a car/truck. But the people that own the buildings just happen to contribute to political campaigns. So the stacking will continue. The town is lost and will never be the same again. Keep paying to be abused....

Guest Kearny RENTER

I understand about the stacking. I am a renter in Kearny because of the amount of taxes and real estate prices at the moment. They make it near impossible for someone starting out to buy a home in this town! What alot of people do is buy a home, and move in every possible person they know or rent out rooms. Then everyone in the HOUSE can get a rent receipt from the OWNER and get Gov't assistance from somewhere. While driving their newer cars to Shop-Rite every first of the month for the can-can sale with Food Stamp card in hand.

Can someone figure out how this is allowed, because I can't!

I suppose I'll have to buy a home the old fashioned way, by saving money first.

Guest Where is America
I understand about the stacking. I am a renter in Kearny because of the amount of taxes and real estate prices at the moment. They make it near impossible for someone starting out to buy a home in this town! What alot of people do is buy a home, and move in every possible person they know or rent out rooms. Then everyone in the HOUSE can get a rent receipt from the OWNER and get Gov't assistance from somewhere. While driving their newer cars to Shop-Rite every first of the month for the can-can sale with Food Stamp card in hand.

Can someone figure out how this is allowed, because I can't!

I suppose I'll have to buy a home the old fashioned way, by saving money first.

Your right on target, money for nothing get your checks for free. Yea you break your ass trying to get ahead paying extream federal income taxes and all you hear is we need taxes to make goverment run, but for who? Good luck getting a home of your own.

:( so whats the problem? none of this is new! i moved away back in 73! and not 1 thing has changed about parking!! but the mayor will let stacking go on in town!its just to many homes in a very small town! and all want to drive and i do not see anything wrong with lite trucks parking in town! hell that is all i own! and if its used for work thats fine! what do you want all to do ride bikes? that law was passed back in the 60s to stop BIG TRUCKS FROM PARKING ALL OVER TOWN! infact it was over kenworthey moving on maple street that got it started! it was not ment to stop small business owners from driving the small del trucks home! and out of towners ? look if all out of towners was stoped here in fla from parking the state would go broke! the problem IS TO MANY PEOPLE !!! to many homes! and the word is STACKING! your town is not alone partroy and most of morris county is having the same problem with STACKING! BUT LIKE I SAID IT WAS BAD BACK IN THE 50/60/70S get a good mayor and this just mite get fixed!    NAH!

Its not new but its an active ordinance here and in most, if not all towns throughout the State. And the fact there are too many homes lends credence to to the parking ordinance; use available spaces for residents private vehicles. My guess is that most commercial vehicle owners / drivers abide by the ordinance while others just disregard it.

And if that's what you own, by all means enjoy it and park it, however if you use it commercially, i.e. carry goods, wares and merchandise, then the law says you cannot have passenger plates and you cannot park it in residential neighborhoods between the hours of 10PM til 6AM.

I don't think offenders have anything to worry about though, at least for the near future. I arrived home late last night, found 5 commercial vehicles parked in the area near my home so I called the Police and made a complaint.

All the vehicles were still there this morning, no tickets or warnings were on the windshields, so did the Police do anything or simple ignore my complaint, don't know yet, but I assure you I will find out.

For now I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they looked up the plates, contacted the drivers and informed them of the ordinance. We'll see if the same vehicles continue to disregard the ordinance.

Its not new but its an active ordinance here and in most, if not all towns throughout the State. And the fact there are too many homes lends credence to to the parking ordinance; use available spaces for residents private vehicles. My guess is that most commercial vehicle owners / drivers abide by the ordinance while others just disregard it.

And if that's what you own, by all means enjoy it and park it, however if you use it commercially, i.e. carry goods, wares and merchandise, then the law says you cannot have passenger plates and you cannot park it in residential neighborhoods between the hours of 10PM til 6AM.

I don't think offenders have anything to worry about though, at least for the near future. I arrived home late last night, found 5 commercial vehicles parked in the area near my home so I called the Police and made a complaint.

All the vehicles were still there this morning, no tickets or warnings were on the windshields, so did the Police do anything or simple ignore my complaint, don't know yet, but I assure you I will find out.

For now I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they looked up the plates, contacted the drivers and informed them of the ordinance.  We'll see if the same vehicles continue to disregard the ordinance.

The problem is that even when the summonses are issued, it doesnt mean anything..by simply filling out an affadavit form in Town hall, the Commercial Vehicle summonses are almost always automatically dismissed.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been quite long enough but no longer, I want to return to a time when I can come home, relax and enjoy the evening. I pay more than enough taxes that one would think should  allow me to enjoy a simple quality of life without aggravation caused by the following.

The sad truth is its the Ironbound invaders they move in bag of cement in hand and all hell breaks lose the town has one hanging around its neck its called Santos

B) AS A HOME OWNER IN TOWN, I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE COMPLETELY

I AM NOT FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO HAVE A DRIVEWAY SO PARKING IS HORRENDOUS. I HAVE TWO CHURCHES BACK TO BACK, AND EVERY OTHER HOUSE HAS TWO OR MORE RENTAL APTS. AND EACH OCCUPANT HAS AT LEAST ONE CAR, SOME TWO. WE HAVE A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE PARKED ON THE STREET AND HE HAS A DRIVEWAY, INFACT THER ARE MANY PEOPLE HERE THAT HAVE DRIVEWAYS THAT PARK ON THE STREET. I THINK WE SHOULD HAVE A TOWN ORDINACE THAT WOULD ALLOW A LIMITED AMOUNT OF VEHICLES FOR HOME OWNERS AND AND THOSE WITH DRIVEWAYS MUST USE THEM. AND THEN AS FAR AS RENTERS MAXIMUM OF TWO CARS PER RESIDENCE THIS SHOULD RECTIFY THE SITUATION, NO COMMERCIAL VEHICLES WHETHER THEY ARE CARS OR SMALL PICK UP TRUCKS, IM TIRED OF PARKING BLOCKS AWAY FROM MY HOME, THAT I CANT;T EVEN SEE IF SOMEONE STEALS OR VANDALIZES MY VEHICLE, THGE BAD WEATHER IS COMING SOON, AND I JUST CAN'T PICTURE DOUBLE PARKING, UNLOADING MY GROCERIES AND THE FIND A SPOT AND WALK HOME IN SNOW DRIFTS. SO YES, SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE THE SOONER THE BETTER B)

For now I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they looked up the plates, contacted the drivers and informed them of the ordinance.  We'll see if the same vehicles continue to disregard the ordinance.

Hey Mayor and Council,

Why not win one for the town and taxpayers for once. Issue resident stickers for non-commercial resident vehicles only. Combine this sticker program with a two hour non- resident parking law much like Harrisons. Together these would put an end to all the parking problems.

I must add commerical vehicles can park while working at homes with a permit issued when they pick up their building permit for work being done at a certain address. Mayor or any other interested party please feel free to comment!

I refuse to read any post with all caps.

Pardon me, some times when I reply to a seriuos subject, that infuriates me I tend to use CAPS as my emotional outlet. Never the less what I said means the same thing in CAPS as it does in lower case. You can blah blah blah all you want, your probaly some one who has a driveway and this means absolutly nothing to you ;) So again the town needs a system ,(stickers, perhaps). My only thought is not just about me, I think about the seniors that still drive, and just picture them walking a block or so in the snow because they can't park by their OWN home. :blink:

Pardon me, some times when I reply to a seriuos subject, that infuriates me I tend to use CAPS as my emotional outlet. Never the less what I said means the same thing in CAPS as it does in lower case. You can blah blah blah all you want, your probaly some one who has a driveway and this means absolutly nothing to you ;) So again the town needs a system ,(stickers, perhaps). My only thought is not just about me, I think about the seniors that still drive, and just picture them walking a block or so in the snow because they can't park by their OWN home.  :blink:

Speak to the Mayor he is the one that can do something to alter the present condition of parking. But what needs to be done is start checking on how many illegal two and three families there are in your area. But he won't touch that one because those folks vote. Legal or not!

Guest In Defense Of Animals

One day that barking dog may save your life.A guardian of a dog should pick up after them. I do not have this problem in my area.Tell the people its a law they must pick up. My problem is kids throwing litter on the street. SORRY dogs will bark and I for one feel safe when the dogs bark in my area.Are you the same person who complained abbout dog hair in park? IF SO DO NOT REPLY.

• 2 weeks later...
One day that barking dog may save your life.A guardian of a dog should pick up after them. I do not have this problem in my area.Tell the people its a law they must pick up. My problem is kids throwing litter on the street. SORRY dogs will bark and I for one feel safe when the dogs bark in my area.Are you the same person who complained abbout dog hair in park? IF SO DO NOT REPLY.

Nope. Not the same person.

Hey Mayor and Council,

Why not win one for the town and taxpayers for once. Issue resident stickers for non-commercial resident vehicles only. Combine this sticker program with a two hour non- resident parking law much like Harrisons. Together these would put an end to all the parking problems.

I must add commerical vehicles can park while working at homes with a permit issued when they pick up their building permit for work being done at a certain address.  Mayor or any other interested party please feel free to comment!

The parking sticker program in Harrison is not the answer to your problem in Kearny. Yes in Harrison it did alleviate the problem during the day where PATH parkers now park in pay lots and not our streets. However, take a look at nite in Harrison... 50% percent of vehicles do not have a sticker. Commercial, out-of-state, and visitor tags make up that count. and that's not exaggerating.

The problem in both towns is they do not want to address the root of the problems. It's not politically correct these days.

Archived