Around The Towns

Guest WatchDog

Guest WatchDog

Reading the papers this morning I read that East Hanover is holding a referendum on a proposed $2,000,000 renovation project on one of their schools. East Hanover thinks it's important to get voter input on a TWO MILLION DOLLAR PROJECT.

Why is it that Harrison doesn't think it's important to get voter input on $40,000,000.

East Hanover's project is a school, something to benefit all of their children, and they hold a referendum. Harrison spends FORTY MILLION DOLLARS on a FRIVILOUS SOCCER STADIUM, and snub their noses at the voters.

What's wrong with this mayor and council that they feel they can do anything and disregard and disrespect the voters of Harrison ??

THIS WILL CONTINUE TO HAPPEN AS LONG AS PEOPLE REMAIN SILENT AND DEPEND ON SOMEONE ELSE TO TAKE ACTION. SOMEDAY EVERYONE WILL REALIZE THAT ALL THIS EFFECTS EVERYONE, LETS HOPE ITS NOT TOO LATE.

Guest Senior Town Resident
THIS WILL CONTINUE TO HAPPEN AS LONG AS PEOPLE REMAIN SILENT AND DEPEND ON SOMEONE ELSE TO TAKE ACTION. SOMEDAY EVERYONE WILL REALIZE THAT ALL THIS EFFECTS EVERYONE, LETS HOPE ITS NOT TOO LATE.

Anyone that casts a vote for this mayor or anyone one this council needs to have their head examined. Remember, they ALL decided to spend 40,000,000 on a stadium without holding a voter referendum. They ALL voted for it. They ALL said, "screw the voters", we don't care what they think.

You need signnatures for a reforendum and people won't sign their names to it. And the most important part is getting out and getting it signed and that's work. So it will continue until someone does the work.

Guest 2smart4u
You need signnatures for a reforendum and people won't sign their names to it. And the most important part is getting out and getting it signed and that's work. So it will continue until someone does the work.

I don't think you understand what a "referendum" means. There's no "work" involved. You vote as you normally do in a local election. In addition to voting for a candidate, you vote for any referendums on the ballot, yes or no. It's a secret vote, same as your vote for any candidate.

It's the mayor and council who decide to put a referendum on the ballot ( if they want your input ).

In Harrison, you don't see any referendums on the election ballots so it's understandable that you don't understand how they work.

You won't see any referendums in Communist China either.

Guest Guest_Voter_*
I don't think you understand what a "referendum" means. There's no "work" involved.  You vote as you normally do in a local election. In addition to voting for a candidate, you vote for any referendums on the ballot, yes or no. It's a secret vote, same as your vote for any candidate.

It's the mayor and council who decide to put a referendum on the ballot ( if they want your input ).

In Harrison, you don't see any referendums on the election ballots so it's understandable that you don't understand how they work.

You won't see any referendums in Communist China either.

They know what a referendum is. Mayor McDonough and Pete Higgins don't want input that would potentially interfer with their plans. They could use your help in getting a desk out the basement of town hall over to the Mayor's house. Janiszewski is a little occupied to be of assistance.

Guest Senior Town Resident
They know what a referendum is.  Mayor McDonough and Pete Higgins don't want input that would potentially interfer with their plans.  They could use your help in getting a desk out the basement of town hall over to the Mayor's house.  Janiszewski is a little occupied to be of assistance.

Here's a question for all of Harrison's "senior residents". When is the last time anyone saw a referendum on an election ballot, ANY REFERENDUM !!

Personally, I don't recall ever voting on a referendum question in any year. There will be a cash prize for anyone that can name a year and the referendum question (just kidding, LOL).

Guest Another Senior Town Resident
Here's a question for all of Harrison's "senior residents".  When is the last time anyone saw a referendum on an election ballot, ANY REFERENDUM !!

Personally, I don't recall ever voting on a referendum question in any year. There will be a cash prize for anyone that can name a year and the referendum question (just kidding, LOL).

I don't think there will be any winners of your "cash prize". I've lived in town a long time and I can't think of one referendum question in any election. It would be almost funny if it wasn't disgraceful.

Guest Clamdigger
I don't think there will be any winners of your "cash prize". I've lived in town a long time and I can't think of one referendum question in any election. It would be almost funny if it wasn't disgraceful.

The last Town referendum was for a raise for the HFD in 1960. Where do I collect the prize money? It passed. :P

You have a short memory. Don't you remember eight years ago we had a referendum to make elections for mayor and council every four years instead of two? It was defeated. Don't you remember five years ago we had the same referendum and again it was defeated?

A bill was introduced into the legislature to make it every four years instead of two. Harrison decided to make it every four years to comply with the new bill. The bill was never passed.

Guest Senior Town resident
You have a short memory.  Don't you remember eight years ago we had a referendum to make elections for mayor and council every four years instead of two?  It was defeated.  Don't you remember five years ago we had the same referendum and again it was defeated?

A bill was introduced into the legislature to make it every four years instead of two.  Harrison decided to make it every four years to comply with the new bill.  The bill was never passed.

WOW !! A referendum in Harrison !! Just remember that referendum eight years ago had NOTHING to do with spending money. Just a minor referendum concerning the length of political terms which the mayor and council couldn't care less about. Tell me about the last referendum concerning spending money !! That will make you really SAD.

It's obvious that you "don't get it." The purpose of being mayor or councilman is not to get the $2500 annual stipend. The big money is in the Town's Democratic Committee. You heard of "Pay to Play?" Everyone doing business with the town contributes to the Town's Democratic Committee. That includes all of the vendors selling the town stuff, all the lawyers who do no bid legal work for the town, everyone who sells anything to the board of education. All of these developers can be found on the contributor's list to the Towns Democratic Committee. We are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars.

This money is to be spent on elections if not used it can be given to charity. If a councilman's wife mails letters for him, she can be paid out of these funds and it is legit. In another post on this board it said the mayor donated $500 to Pacrells campaign. Where do you think that money came from? This money can be channeled to the county fund, the state, or even the National Democratic Party.

If elections are held every four years instead of two, this fund can and does grow. The referendum that you said the Mayor and Council don't care about, was put on the ballot by the mayor and council, not a petition of citizens. When it was voted down, they couldn't believe it. This is the first time the mayor and council were rebuked.

They put it on the ballot a second time and again it was defeated. They finally past a resolution making it a four-year term, despite the wishes of the voters. They cited a bill in the legislature as the reason they did it. The bill never passed.

It's obvious that you "don't get it."  The purpose of being mayor or councilman is not to get the $2500 annual stipend.  The big money is in the Town's Democratic Committee.  You heard of "Pay to Play?"  Everyone doing business with the town contributes to the Town's Democratic Committee.  That includes all of the vendors selling the town stuff, all the lawyers who do no bid legal work for the town, everyone who sells anything to the board of education.  All of these developers can be found on the contributor's list to the Towns Democratic Committee.  We are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. 

This money is to be spent on elections if not used it can be given to charity.  If a councilman's wife mails letters for him, she can be paid out of these funds and it is legit.  In another post on this board it said the mayor donated $500 to Pacrells campaign.  Where do you think that money came from?  This money can be channeled to the county fund, the state, or even the National Democratic Party.

If elections are held every four years instead of two, this fund can and does grow.  The referendum that you said the Mayor and Council don't care about, was put on the ballot by the mayor and council, not a petition of citizens.  When it was voted down, they couldn't believe it.  This is the first time  the mayor and council were rebuked. 

They put it on the ballot a second time and again it was defeated.  They finally past a resolution making it a four-year term, despite the wishes of the voters.  They cited a bill in the legislature as the reason they did it.  The bill never passed.

Finally a half-decent, insightful comment on this board!!! I knew there had to be some of you people out there.

Archived