Kearny's Tax Increase Nightmare - Part II

Jim Mangin

Kearny’s Tax Increase Nightmare – Part II

In an earlier post I mentioned that the budget presently being considered by Mayor Santos and the Town Council will increase taxes $720 a year on a home assessed at $100,000. Why? The Mayor blames the same villains he’s attributed every increase since becoming mayor – unanticipated increases in health benefits costs, insurance costs, dumping fees and sewage costs. WHAT are we doing to prevent it?

Part II - Rising Insurance Costs - When Al Santos became Mayor the annual budget for insurance was $500,000. This year the Mayor's budget for insurance is $1,600,000 - or a 320% increase in just five years. What are we doing about it? I have a suggestion - GET US OUT OF THE MIDDLESEX COUNTY JIF!

Kearny's participation in the Middlesex County Joint Insurance Fund was the brainchild of Business Administrator Joe D'Arco based on positive experiences he had with them in his previous employment. Joining this JIF was seen as a way to avoid the annual deficits Kearny incurred in our self-insurance program without having to raise taxes.

We were told our annual premium would be about $900,000. Since we were budgeting $500,000 and incurring an annual deficit of about $400,000 this amount seemed appropriate to me. So I supported it. But our first premium bill came due for $1,300,000. When I questioned it I was told the additional $400,000 was to pay old claims from our self-insurance fund.

But then next year's premium came due for another $1,300,000. Again I asked about the increase and got the same answer - old claims.

The following year's bill was $1,505,000. I again questioned the increase but this time I got a different answer - this time I was told it was because of 9-11. No research was done, no analysis, no questions asked - let's just blame Sept. 11. How wrong is this?

The Mayor and Council should immediately demand an investigation into our JIF premiums and question why we have never been billed the amount we were quoted when we went out pricing insurance premiums.

In addition the Mayor and Council should at least investigate the feasibility of returning to self-insurance if it would save tax dollars. The Insurance Commission should research our claims while Kearny has been part of the JIF to determine if we could go it alone.

In short, we need to do something about rising insurance costs instead of just paying lip service to the issue and passing the bill along to the taxpayers.

Jim Mangin

Kearny’s Tax Increase Nightmare – Part II

In an earlier post I mentioned that the budget presently being considered by Mayor Santos and the Town Council will increase taxes $720 a year on a home assessed at $100,000. Why? The Mayor blames the same villains he’s attributed every increase since becoming mayor – unanticipated increases in health benefits costs, insurance costs, dumping fees and sewage costs. WHAT are we doing to prevent it?

Part II - Rising Insurance Costs - When Al Santos became Mayor the annual budget for insurance was $500,000. This year's the Mayor's budget for insurance is $1,600,000 - or a 320% increase in just five years. What are we doing about it? I have a suggestion - GET US OUT OF THE MIDDLESEX COUNTY JIF!

Kearny's participation in the Middlesex County Joint Insurance Fund was the brainchild of Business Administrator Joe D'Arco based on positive experiences he had with them in his previous employment. Joining this JIF was seen as a way to avoid the annual deficits Kearny incurred in our self-insurance program without having to raise taxes.

We were told our annual premium would be about $900,000. Since we were budgeting $500,000 and incurring an annual deficit of about $400,000 this amount seemed appropriate to me. So I supported it. But our first premium bill came due for $1,300,000. When I questioned it I was told the additional $700,000 was to pay old claims from our self-insurance fund.

But then next year's premium came due for another $1,300,000. Again I asked about the increase and got the same answer - old claims.

The following year's bill was $1,505,000. I again questioned the increase but this time I got a different answer - this time I was told it was because of 9-11. No research was done, no analysis, no questions asked - let's just blame Sept. 11. How wrong is this?

The Mayor and Council should immediately demand an investigation into our JIF premiums and question why we have never been billed the amount we were quoted when we went out pricing insurance premiums.

In addition the Mayor and Council should at least investigate the feasibility of returning to self-insurance if it would save tax dollars. The Insurance Commission should research our claims while Kearny has been part of the JIF to determine if we could go it alone.

In short, we need to do something about rising insurance costs instead of just paying lip service to the issue and passing the bill along to the taxpayers.

Jim Mangin

So you are saying that DArco brought this insurnace company to Kearny and we are now paying hundreds of thousands of dollars more than we should be? Did anyone check DARco's background to see if he is involved with this company? This whole thing sounds completely illegal to me. Why doesn't someone do something about it?

Guest Check it out
So you are saying that DArco brought this insurnace company to Kearny and we are now paying hundreds of thousands of dollars more than we should be? Did anyone check DARco's background to see if he is involved with this company? This whole thing sounds completely illegal to me. Why doesn't someone do something about it?

Hey, Pick up the phone and call the federal AG Chris Christy and get somethhing done! At least it will be looked at. But don't call the county or state you have to call the Feds. That is if you feel that strongly about it.

Guest Where's the beef?

Jim,

Wrong again! The JIF premium is slightly over $1 million a year, not 1.3 or 1.6 as you say.

Back to self-insurance? Have you gotten quotes on self-insurance lately?

Plus, do you know how self-insurance works? The town is still settling "self-insurance" claims from as far back as the early 1990s. Self means exactly that -- the taxpayers pay.

Guest Guest 99
Hey, Pick up the phone and call the federal AG Chris Christy and get somethhing done! At least it will be looked at. But don't call the county or state you have to call the Feds. That is if you feel that strongly about it.

Typical response. why don't YOU pick up the phone and make the call.

Apathy, apathy, apathy, that's why! :lol:

Typical response. why don't YOU pick up the phone and make the call.

Apathy, apathy, apathy, that's why! :lol:

You must be apathetic to. But you should really take math lessons. I mean, that Dollar per house hold crack was very dumb. 900,000 x 1.00 = dha!!!!!!. At least apathy isn't stupidity.

You must be apathetic to. But you should really take math lessons. I mean, that Dollar per house hold crack was very dumb. 900,000 x 1.00 = dha!!!!!!. At least apathy isn't stupidity.

Well Guest 99, do you see the mentality of your Kearny brothers and sisters? :lol:

Jim,

Wrong again!  The JIF premium is slightly over $1 million a year, not 1.3 or 1.6 as you say. 

Back to self-insurance?  Have you gotten quotes on self-insurance lately?

Plus, do you know how self-insurance works?  The town is still settling "self-insurance" claims from as far back as the early 1990s.  Self means exactly that -- the taxpayers pay.

If what you say is true, then why does the Town need the other $600,000? As a reserve for potential insurance claims? Well, let's see. The case involving the Fire Inspector will probably cost. I haven't heard but I could see Phil Martone filing a claim for being wrongly fired. And the Town may want to put some money aside should Doreen Cali ever file a claim. All these claims (or potential claims) would be covered by the JIF. Is that why need to stay in? Is that why self-insurance doesn't work for Kearny? Maybe we need to re-think our policies towards employees and avoid these potential insurance disasters in the first place.

And you seem pretty knowledgable about Kearny's insurance premiums. Which member of the Kearny Insurance Commission are you? You're not Mary Torres, are you?

Jim Mangin

ps - Yes folks. Mary Torres is also a member of the Kearny Insurance Commission.

If what you say is true, then why does the Town need the other $600,000? As a reserve for potential insurance claims? Well, let's see. The case involving the Fire Inspector will probably cost. I haven't heard but I could see Phil Martone filing a claim for being wrongly fired. And the Town may want to put some money aside should Doreen Cali ever file a claim. All these claims (or potential claims) would be covered by the JIF. Is that why need to stay in? Is that why self-insurance doesn't work for Kearny? Maybe we need to re-think our policies towards employees and avoid these potential insurance disasters in the first place.

And you seem pretty knowledgable about Kearny's insurance premiums. Which member of the Kearny Insurance Commission are you? You're not Mary Torres, are you?

Jim Mangin

ps - Yes folks. Mary Torres is also a member of the Kearny Insurance Commission.

Boy, Mary Torres must be a frickin' genius. :lol:

Jim Mangin

hey jim, all those cases you mention have one thing in common - they all have darco written all over them!!!! now we know how much this guy costs us. he brings in another insurance company that charges us double to cover up for his harrasment lawsuits. and santos and sherry and doyle and pettigrew and all the rest are just fine with this. i'm outraged!!!!. my money is being used to protect this little twerp who gets off on bullying people???? i can't stand it any more.

Guest Lamont Kranston
Boy, Mary Torres must be a frickin' genius. :P

It sounds to me that now that the November elections are over, Jimbo is now posturing with his buddies, Bert Diaz and the Campbell Twins for the school board elections in April. Got to try and be in control of something, right boys?

Actually, with Diaz it's not about control......it's pay back for his situation, and by the way the one that he created.

As for Jimbo and the Campbell Twins, they will recruit anyone that has a reason to attack who is in so that they can get control to fullfill their own political aspirations.

That's right, lets trash Mary Torres............You boys couldn't shine Mary's shoes!

THE SHADOW KNOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Guest Westbrook Vanboris
It sounds to me that now that the November elections are over, Jimbo is now posturing with his buddies, Bert Diaz and the Campbell Twins for the school board elections in April.  Got to try and be in control of something, right boys?

Actually, with Diaz it's not about control......it's pay back for his situation, and by the way the one that he created.

As for Jimbo and the Campbell Twins, they will recruit anyone that has a reason to attack who is in so that they can get control to fullfill their own political aspirations. 

That's right, lets trash Mary Torres............You boys couldn't shine Mary's shoes!

THE SHADOW KNOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Does the shadow live on Linden ave? cut those weeds Lamont.

Jim Mangin

what is the kearny insurance comission?

It sounds to me that now that the November elections are over, Jimbo is now posturing with his buddies, Bert Diaz and the Campbell Twins for the school board elections in April.  Got to try and be in control of something, right boys?

My post leads you to believe that I want to take over the Board of Education? How do you make the leap from a 320% increase in insurance costs to control of the Board of Ed?

If it's because I made the comment about Mary Torres being on the Insurance Commission; I'm sorry but I don't believe she should be making decisions on insurance claims for the Town. When I voted against her I cited an example. What happens if the Town receives an insurance claim for a softball player that gets hurt at Vet's Field. Vet's Field is a Town facility. Softball is a Board of Education sponsored activity. Whose interests does Mary Torres represent on a claim like this - the Town or the Board of Education? That's my point.

Jim Mangin

what is the kearny insurance comission?

The Kearny Insurance Commission is an arm of the Town Council that hears and makes decisions regarding insurance claims against the Town. The last I heard, it was comprised of Mayor Santos, Business Administrator Joe D'Arco, Mary Torres, Councilwoman Sherry, and Dominick Cinelli (the Town's insurance adjuster).

Jim Mangin

Archived