Chat Room Anyone?

KearnyNJ

KOTW Chat Room? I don't think it's a bad idea, seirously. Fast paced arguments that don't take days to finish. And the site can also record transcripts of important, intelligent discussions!

This may be a long shot, but... A LIVE CHAT WITH... THE MAYOR?!?!

Oh I'm excited about this, anybody else?

KOTW Chat Room?  I don't think it's a bad idea, seirously.  Fast paced arguments that don't take days to finish.  And the site can also record transcripts of important, intelligent discussions! 

It would great but it will never happen with this Mayor. Why? Santos and Council think they are above this. Anyway they need their energy to perform one of Kearnys greatest shows . And that is the Town Council Meetings. If you went to other meetings with other Mayors you will see what I mean. Too bad you missed the fights between Santos and Mangin.The Mayor would always get in Mangins face and disagree with Mangin even when Mangin was right. Santos along with his puppets do not like to be questioned. And Mangin posed some GOOD QUESTIONS..

Guest Radagast
KOTW Chat Room?  I don't think it's a bad idea, seirously.  Fast paced arguments that don't take days to finish.  And the site can also record transcripts of important, intelligent discussions! 

I've always thought a chat room would be a great idea, however, a few things must be considered.

Anyone who has ever visited a political 'chat' room on say AOL or Yahoo knows how unproductive they are for getting real insight. They tend to be propagated by bitter, homebound nerds who never leave their computers and get their kicks by being obnoxious and contrary. Its a place to go when you're angry about some national issue and you just want to vent. That's all its good for.

I find that even here on this board, which is meticulously edited, we still have personal attacks and attacks on officials family members. Oh yeah... I forgot... if they are elected officials everything is 'fair game'. ...well guess what... they don't think so. So don't expect them to come here and be your bobo. Where an elected official's kid works has nothing to do with the Keegan Landfill reopening or the flooding on King Street. As hard has Jim Mangin fights over issues here, he would never be insulting or use personal attacks. I can say that without even knowing him personally because he was on the Council.... he KNOWS.

Politician's family members and friends have been getting government jobs and favors for hundreds of years.... get used to it... as long as they are performing the tasks they were hired to do, you have no real argument. If you believe any elected official has broken the law, take it to the prosecutor. They will be more than happy to notch their gun with an 'Official Misconduct' indictment.... that's how they get promoted. However, accusing officials here serves only to drive them away.

So, if I were moderating a chat room with say a guest like the Mayor, all profanity and personal questions would be tossed. I would also toss any statements of support. Only questions about issues would be allowed with follow up questions. If there is something you want to know or if you have a problem and you have a brain, I'm sure you could compose a tough enough question without resorting to insult or personal attack.

Of course, this discussion is moot unless KOTW decides to put time, effort and perhaps even money into creating such a chat room.

It would great but it will never happen with this Mayor. Why? Santos and Council think they are above this. Anyway they need their energy to perform one of Kearnys greatest shows . And that is the Town Council Meetings. If you went to other meetings with other Mayors you will see what I mean. Too bad you missed the fights between Santos and Mangin.The Mayor would always get in Mangins face and disagree with Mangin even when Mangin was right. Santos along with his puppets do not like to be questioned. And Mangin posed some GOOD QUESTIONS..

:P hey guy i think its great idea! how do we get one?

I've always thought a chat room would be a great idea, however, a few things must be considered.

Anyone who has ever visited a political 'chat' room on say AOL or Yahoo knows how unproductive they are for getting real insight. They tend to be propagated by bitter, homebound nerds who never leave their computers and get their kicks by being obnoxious and contrary. Its a place to go when you're angry about some national issue and you just want to vent. That's all its good for.

I find that even here on this board, which is meticulously edited, we still have personal attacks and attacks on officials family members. Oh yeah... I forgot... if they are elected officials everything is 'fair game'. ...well guess what... they don't think so. So don't expect them to come here and be your bobo. Where an elected official's kid works has nothing to do with the Keegan Landfill reopening or the flooding on King Street. As hard has Jim Mangin fights over issues here, he would never be insulting or use personal attacks. I can say that without even knowing him personally because he was on the Council.... he KNOWS.

Politician's family members and friends have been getting government jobs and favors for hundreds of years.... get used to it... as long as they are performing the tasks they were hired to do, you have no real argument. If you believe any elected official has broken the law, take it to the prosecutor. They will be more than happy to notch their gun with an 'Official Misconduct' indictment.... that's how they get promoted. However, accusing officials here serves only to drive them away.

So, if I were moderating a chat room with say a guest like the Mayor, all profanity and personal questions would be tossed. I would also toss any statements of support. Only questions about issues would be allowed with follow up questions. If there is something you want to know or if you have a problem and you have a brain, I'm sure you could compose a tough enough question without resorting to insult or personal attack. 

Of course, this discussion is moot unless KOTW decides to put time, effort and perhaps even money into creating such a chat room.

As one who has been known to resort to being obnoxious and contrary on this site, I agree with almost everything you say concerning the conduct of such a chat room. Even I would revise my posting tactics to accommodate the necessary guidelines, but I really don't believe the tenor of the posters currently posting here could be acceptably translated into meaningful dialogue.

This site is, by design, a hostile political environment used mainly to express personal dislikes and agendas. And without major reconstruction, will continue as such.

just like this forum only santos doesn;t use his name. HA!

• 2 weeks later...

A Chat Room is a great idea.

Count me in.

Jim Mangin

ps - I thought a one-on-one debate with the Mayor in 2003 was a great idea too. But that never happened either.

• 2 months later...

Archived