Mr. Mayor....Riddle me This

Guest What a disGRACE

Guest What a disGRACE

Where does one even begin? For many years I have been a big fan of this little town....and yet time and time again I am left disheartened, disillusioned and disappointed. Mr. Mayor, do you just not care? How could you be so concerned about some soccer stadium and not lose sleep over the fact that there is no place for the kids to play.......maybe the football team could play the homecoming game there? Perhaps? Now, everyone is fully aware that the town is going to have to put money out there for this, where is that money coming from? It seems to me that if we have the money to shell out for a Metro Stars Stadium, we should have a couple of nickels to rub together and have a halfway decent recreation program. Is anyone really surprised that our children are turning out the way they are? The saying goes, "it takes a village to raise a child", it says nothing about a village idiot. I have been doing some homework, Mr. Mayor. I have been looking up various Recreation Departments for other towns and were you aware that all the directors are CERTIFIED to be in those postions? And they are required to have continuing education? Are you shocked? I am. I was under the impression that any JOE shmoe could do the job! Enough with the sarcasm though, let's just get right down to it. When are you going to concern yourself with the people of this town? Not just your people, but all the people, including the little people. (I mean the children, not Tom P.) Why don't the kids count? They don't make money? They can't vote? One day they will be voters, and hopefully, if we haven't failed them too miserably, they will even be productive members of society. They will have managed to educate themselves and be successful in their own right without having to sell out or owe anyone anything in order for their families to eat and have a roof over their heads. And they will be able to distinguish right from wrong, and then won't you be sorry, Mr. Mayor? It is my sincerest hope that you are not voted into office again, and if my vote counts at all you won't be. You have taken something from all of us, something that is so valuable. Much more valuable than the money you line your pockets with, or the townhouse your first in line to get, at a reduced price, that you had no problem selling out our children. Do you know what that thing is??? T-R-U-S-T. We trusted you. Trusted that, although you had no experience, you would put our well-being, and that of our children first. You have failed. You took that trust, along with any values you may have had, and threw it away like yesterday's trash.

Mr. Mayor, Riddle me this: Why were you so opposed to the lease back program we had going with the stadium until the new fields were built? Do You Know?...............psssst: I Do!

Guest Guest

Mr. Mayor why was your alleged trusted friend, the head of the Street Department, forced to resign. Was it because you had lined up RC for the position?

If you are not loyal to yrour friends, what kind of person are you? :rolleyes:

Guest Guest
  How could you be so concerned about some soccer stadium and not lose sleep over the fact that there is no place for the kids to play

What is it with this no place to play stuff.... I grew up here too and I'll say there are more options now then before. I didn't have 280 to play on. Don't the kids hang out on the railroad tracks anymore?

Guest Guest

well said! our "leaders" got bailed out big time yesterday.The world biggest smoke screen hit our town and got those guys off the hook.....temporarily.the elephant is still in the room...no place for our kids to practice and play.yes one day there will hopefully be a beautiful facility for our kids ,but this group of kids had their birth right sold out from under them.By the way the price of your condo just went up and Mr Higgins made a fortune over the past 5 years doing what anyone with half a brain could have done

Guest Guest
Mr. Mayor, Riddle me this:  Why were you so opposed to the lease back program we had going with the stadium until the new fields were built?  Do You Know?...............psssst:  I Do!

Please inform us. Put up or shut up!

Guest Guest

This stadium will bring nothing but problems to the town. Is it at all possible to hold a vote, to see if the people of Harrison want this stadium??

Guest Town Resident
Where does one even begin?  For many years I have been a big fan of this little town....and yet time and time again I am left disheartened, disillusioned and disappointed.  Mr. Mayor, do you just not care?  How could you be so concerned about some soccer stadium and not lose sleep over the fact that there is no place for the kids to play.......maybe the football team could play the homecoming game there?  Perhaps?  Now, everyone is fully aware that the town is going to have to put money out there for this, where is that money coming from?  It seems to me that if we have the money to shell out for a Metro Stars Stadium, we should have a couple of nickels to rub together and have a halfway decent recreation program.  Is anyone really surprised that our children are turning out the way they are?  The saying goes, "it takes a village to raise a child", it says nothing about a village idiot.  I have been doing some homework, Mr. Mayor.  I have been looking up various Recreation Departments for other towns and were you aware that all the directors are CERTIFIED to be in those postions?  And they are required to have continuing education?  Are you shocked?  I am.  I was under the impression that any JOE shmoe could do the job!  Enough with the sarcasm though, let's just get right down to it.  When are you going to concern yourself with the people of this town?  Not just your people, but all the people, including the little people.  (I mean the children, not Tom P.)  Why don't the kids count?  They don't make money?  They can't vote?  One day they will be voters, and hopefully, if we haven't failed them too miserably, they will even be productive members of society.  They will have managed to educate themselves and be successful in their own right without having to sell out or owe anyone anything in order for their families to eat and have a roof over their heads.  And they will be able to distinguish right from wrong, and then won't you be sorry, Mr. Mayor?  It is my sincerest hope that you are not voted into office again, and if my vote counts at all you won't be.  You have taken something from all of us, something that is so valuable.  Much more valuable than the money you line your pockets with, or the townhouse your first in line to get, at a reduced price, that you had no problem selling out our children.  Do you know what that thing is???  T-R-U-S-T.  We trusted you.  Trusted that, although you had no experience, you would put our well-being, and that of our children first.  You have failed.  You took that trust, along with any values you may have had, and threw it away like yesterday's trash. 

Mr. Mayor, Riddle me this:  Why were you so opposed to the lease back program we had going with the stadium until the new fields were built?  Do You Know?...............psssst:  I Do!

This town had a golden opportunity to create play areas for kids within the redevelopment zone. It's such a shame that Harrison kids don't have a place to throw a baseball, kick a soccer ball, play tennis, swing a bat, etc. Instead of cramming a new house into every undersized lot in town, some attention should have been paid to our youth. By creating some grassy areas around town where the kids could play and get some exercise, it would help to keep kids out of trouble when they're not hanging around with nothing to do. It seems to me that the mayor and council don't care about our children. They are obsessed with bringing in as many new housing units as could be possibly crammed into this town. When all these new housing units are occupied and thousands of new kids are enrolling in our already overcrowded schools, it's going to be a nightmare. With the right people in charge, this redevelopment could have been a blessing for Harrison. A professional soccer stadium in a square -mile town is a huge mistake. A mix of housing, light industry, and passive recreation areas ( tennis courts, grassy areas with trees and picnic benches, etc. would have given this town a big shot in the arm and made it so attractive. Our town leaders let us down, they disgarded the needs of our citizens and instead embraced the developers and gave them a free hand to destroy the quality of life ( what little existed) in this town.

Guest tired of your whining

Yes there is a place where town residents can voice their opinion in reference to the stadium or whatever else is on their mind, its called a Town Council meeting they are held every month, usually the first tuesday, so get off your butts, stop typing in the computer hoping to stir something and actually voice your opinion where it counts, if not SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!! At least they are trying to make this a better place, we all have different opinions of what would go better here but like they say opinions are like A@@ Holes everyone has got one.

Guest Blue Skies.....

This is a wonderful suggestion you posted, unfortunatley it isn't that simple to go to a Town Meeting and stand up and voice your opinion. You need to be on the Towns agenda before you are aloud to stand up and say what you would like to say. Years ago there was no problem going to Town Meetings and saying publicly what you would like to say, but with all the lies and cover ups going on up on the 3rd floor your suggestion about voicing one's opinion at a Town Meeting isn't going to happen not now and not ever with this political party in power. Nice try though!!

please if the town council gets word that someone is going to come to a meeting and voice their opinion they end up cancelling the meeting and make for a different time. They also make the time so that people who actually work cannot make the meeting. How do all the councilman,woman get out of work early? OH I forgot they all work at the valley. WAKE UP TAXPAYERS YOUR MAYOR AND COUNCILMAN ARE RUING THIS TOWN. SPEAK UP BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

Guest New To Harrison
This is a wonderful suggestion you posted, unfortunatley it isn't that simple to go to a Town Meeting and stand up and voice your opinion.  You need to be on the Towns agenda before you are aloud to stand up and say what you would like to say.  Years ago there was no problem going to Town Meetings and saying publicly what you would like to say, but with all the lies and cover ups going on up on the 3rd floor your suggestion about voicing one's opinion at a Town Meeting isn't going to happen not now and not ever with this political party in power.  Nice try though!!

I'm new to Harrison so I was shocked to read that "You have to be on the town agenda to speak at a council meeting" !! I've lived in 3 other towns in NJ and all of the council meetings in these towns had "public sessions" at the beginning of the meetings. You simply raised your hand, was recognized by the council president, came up to the microphone and gave your name and address. You were then given 5 minutes to state your question, or voice a complaint, or whatever. Not being allowed to speak at a council meeting is simply incredible !! It is just another example of how the mayor and council treat the residents of Harrison with contempt and disrespect. I'm amazed that the residents of this town tolerate this slap in the face it's getting from the mayor and council. To the citizens of Harrison that put up with that, I say, Shame On You !! But then, I shouldn't really be surprised. No public hearings on bond issues, no public hearing on a major redevelopment, no public sessions at council meetings. PEOPLE OF HARRISON, DO YOU HAVE TO GET HIT OVER THE HEAD WITH SOMETHING BEFORE YOU SEE IT. YOU ARE ALL PAWNS AT THE HANDS OF THE POLITICIANS. YOU'RE NO BETTER THAN SHEEP IF YOU CAN'T EVEN ASK A QUESTION AT A COUNCIL MEETING. SOMEONE NEEDS TO OPEN A WINDOW AND YELL " I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE!!"

[under the sunshine law, public meetings must be advertised in at least two newspapers widely circulated in the community. In Harrison they are printed in the Jersey Journal, a Jersey City Newspaper, read by few Harrison Residents. They are also posted in the Plain Dealer, which is no longer sold in Harrison. The meetings are held at five o'clock when few people are even home from work. Most town business is conducted at a second meeting of the council, the time and date rarely published.

Meeting information is also posted on the bulletin board by the clerks office. If you are interested you cant stop at the town hall and find out when the meeting is. The agenda is also available at the clerks office but it is often changed at the meeting. This gives no advanced noticed of what business will be conducted. Meetings often start late and the council chamber is not air conditioned. All bills are read by title only, so if you think you are going to find out what is happening by going to the meeting, you are wrong.

Guest New To Harrison
[under the sunshine law, public meetings must be advertised in at least two newspapers widely circulated in the community.  In Harrison they are printed in the Jersey Journal, a Jersey City Newspaper, read by few Harrison Residents.  They are also posted in the Plain Dealer, which is no longer sold in Harrison.  The meetings are held at five o'clock when few people are even home from work.  Most town business is conducted at a second meeting of the council, the time and date rarely published.

Meeting information is also posted on the bulletin board by the clerks office.  If you are interested you cant stop at the town hall and find out when the meeting is.  The agenda is also available at the clerks office but it is often changed at the meeting.  This gives no advanced noticed of what business will be conducted.  Meetings often start late and the council chamber is not air conditioned.  All bills are read by title only, so if you think you are going to find out what is happening by going to the meeting, you are wrong.

Meetings are held at 5:00 ??? Incredible !! More proof of the disregard and lack of respect for the citizens of Harrison. EVERY town holds their council meetings at 7:00 or 7:30. I have never heard of a town holding a council meeting at 5:00. All bills are read by title only ?? I can't freakin' believe this. ALL bills, ordinances, resolutions, etc. should be read and explained by the council president or the town attorney if it involves a legal matter. The more I find out about this town council, the more shocked I am. This sounds like a secret organization that does everything in it's power to keep the town business away from the residents. If the voters of Harrison don't throw these people out on their ear in the next election, then there's something seriously wrong here. And the voters should demand from whoever they elect that the government be OPENED. Council meetings that start at 7:30, a public session at the beginning of the meeting, agenda items read and EXPLAINED, and an opportunity for the public to comment before the vote. These things are common to council meeting everywhere, it's nothing unusual. And the council agenda should be published and available at the town hall the day before the meeting. I can only hope that enough people read this and resolve to change this government. Only the voters can get rid of this "secret society".

Mr. Mayor why was your alleged trusted friend, the head of the Street Department, forced to resign. Was it because you had lined up RC for the position?

If you are not loyal to yrour friends, what kind of person are you? 

Maybe someone lost a lot of money on baseball, or started gambling on soccer and had to have their brother bail them out again? *** might know, he was involved last time, maybe ** can answer a thing or two!

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

So glad to see there is finally a Post on this site that intelligent people are responding to, seems the ones who have answered on this post know what they are talking about and truely understand the make up of the Town of Harrison. We realize we need help but also realize that our town officials know how to make the deals quickly before we have anything to say...If you take a look at the hiring practice of the town as of late, there to, you will find our Mayor runing wild ...Putting people in positions with no certification, qualifications or experience and then with less then 2 years on the job have there salary raised by $38,000..When you question our Mayor about the hiring freeze in town he will not respond to why more people have been hired within the last 2 years then in the last 6 years...(hiring freeze was issued by the Dept of Community Affairs, guess our Mayor doesn't have to answer to them either, Harrison was told two years ago they weren't allowed to do any more hiring) Taxes going up, a Metro Star's stadium citizens of Harrison don't want (should have been put to a vote for people to vote on), ordinances being rewritten to accomadate the Mayor's inner circle of friends so they can build illigal two family homes, wow, half of Harrison's elected officials or family members now are employeed by PVS, thank you Mr. Powell, one hand washs the other, guess it pays to vote the way the Mayor wants, weren't you one of the ones who benefitted from the change of ordinance to build new homes??????, no stadium for our High School teams which by the way will also affect the Rec.'s fall programs for the younger children, no new playgrounds, no parking spaces, borrowing money on bonds for the taxs payers of Harrison to have to pay back, our schools being considered poor district, nepotism out of control and worst of all a Mayor whose attitude is, "he can do what ever he wants because he is the Mayor". What a truely sad comment by a elected official...Yes, it is awful to say but there is no one out there within the State of New Jersey that is going to help us to solve the problems within Harrison politics...so here is a suggestion, go to the newspapers....negative publicity is a politicians worst night mare..maybe if a reporter from a newspaper comes to Harrison and does his home work properly, alot of the 3rd floor Town Hall secrets would be exposed in print on the front page of a newspaper. Then just maybe the State of New Jersey would get busy to find out why the Town of Harrison has been able to get away with so much....Hudson County, hub of the mob...just look to the Harrison DPW for a big player in that field.......football season is coming, I'll take the Giants and the points, LOL..... Guess that the DPW will be a busy place after football weekends.....

I don't know what Town you are refering to, meetings are held at 7pm plenty of time for people to come and every meeting the Mayor asks if their is a citizen who wishes to speak, so stop complaining and attend.............

I don't know what Town you are refering to, meetings are held at 7pm plenty of time for people to come and every meeting the Mayor asks if their is a citizen who wishes to speak, so stop complaining and attend.............
HEY TOMMY, HOW MANY TIMES HAS THE TIME CHANGES IN THE LAST 24 MONTHS????

Archived