Kickbacks in Town?

Guest Guest_Neighbor_*

Guest Guest_Neighbor_*

Apparently a single family home was purchased on Ivy Street. The new owner wants to knock it down and put up a 2 family with a finished basement. All the neighbors are opposing this because most of the homes on this block are single family homes. There was a zoning board meeting held and permission was given to the new owner because his attorney(********) who also an attorney for a certain committee in town supposedly called in favors. Other homeowners there that night that wanted to put additions onto their homes were denied. I guess they didn't have the right attorney!

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Guest Questions
Apparently a single family home was purchased on Ivy Street.  The new owner wants to knock it down and put up a 2 family with a finished basement.  All the neighbors are opposing this because most of the homes on this block are single family homes.  There was a zoning board meeting held and permission was given to the new owner because his attorney(********) who also an attorney for a certain committee in town supposedly called in favors.  Other homeowners there that night that wanted to put additions onto their homes were denied.  I guess they didn't have the right attorney!

Huh..what? What committee? If it's a 2 family zone, he can build a two family.

Guest Guest_neighbor_*
Huh..what? What committee? If it's a 2 family zone, he can build a two family.

He wants to have the finished basement so he can stay there and rent out the other 2 floors. That would make it a 3 family. It is not zoned for that. He also said it was a hardship for him to be living in Newark. What he failed to mention was the fact that he buys up single family homes, tears them down builds multi family dwellings, sells and leaves. If Newark is such a hardship for him, then why doesn't he just live in one of the other 10 homes he has purchased.

He wants to have the finished basement so he can stay there and rent out the other 2 floors.  That would make it a 3 family.  It is not zoned for that.  He also said it was a hardship for him to be living in Newark.  What he failed to mention was the fact that he buys up single family homes, tears them down builds multi family dwellings, sells and leaves.  If Newark is such a hardship for him, then why doesn't he just live in one of the other 10 homes he has purchased.

You have yet to post anything truly coherent.

Did he ask for and get granted a variance for a 3-family? If not and he does do what you are saying just report it and they will investigate.

Was he asked about his history of buying/re-building/leaving? If not, he had no obligation to bring it up.

JW

Guest Guest
He wants to have the finished basement so he can stay there and rent out the other 2 floors.  That would make it a 3 family.  It is not zoned for that.  He also said it was a hardship for him to be living in Newark.  What he failed to mention was the fact that he buys up single family homes, tears them down builds multi family dwellings, sells and leaves.  If Newark is such a hardship for him, then why doesn't he just live in one of the other 10 homes he has purchased.

If that is what he is going to do call the Construction Code Dept. and speak to Mr. Martello, he is code enforcement.

Guest Ivy st.
Apparently a single family home was purchased on Ivy Street.  The new owner wants to knock it down and put up a 2 family with a finished basement.  All the neighbors are opposing this because most of the homes on this block are single family homes.  There was a zoning board meeting held and permission was given to the new owner because his attorney(********) who also an attorney for a certain committee in town supposedly called in favors.  Other homeowners there that night that wanted to put additions onto their homes were denied.  I guess they didn't have the right attorney!

I agree with you on this issue. I have many concerns and one is the flooding problem. By building more houses we are adding to sewers that cannot even handle the houses already here. Why add more? What part of Ivy St. near Bergan , Quincy, Oakwood or King Streets ????

Guest Guest_Neighbor_*
I agree with you on this issue. I have many concerns and one is the flooding problem. By building more houses  we are adding to sewers that cannot even handle the houses already here. Why add more? What part of Ivy St. near Bergan , Quincy, Oakwood or King Streets ????

Near King. The town is behind this man 100% - they do not care what the residents on the block think. They are just seeing $$$. He was not given a variance for a 3 family, but was told he could stay in the basement. How does that work? Like I said, it works it you are using the same attorney that also represents the town.

I agree with you on this issue. I have many concerns and one is the flooding problem. By building more houses  we are adding to sewers that cannot even handle the houses already here. Why add more? What part of Ivy St. near Bergan , Quincy, Oakwood or King Streets ????

Not adding a house in this situation.

JW

Guest Ms. K. DeRay

Near King. The town is behind this man 100% - they do not care what the residents on the block think. They are just seeing $$$. He was not given a variance for a 3 family, but was told he could stay in the basement. How does that work? Like I said, it works it you are using the same attorney that also represents the town.

[/quote The Town is aware that our sewers are inadequate to handle the houses already here. So why add more volume to these lines? Something is wrong here.

Guest Ivy st resident

Do you know if the zoning board looked into the flooding problem here in the second ward ? Ms DeRay of King St. stated we do not need any more volume of water added to our old sewer lines. Is the sewage line from this house running to Bergan Or King St.?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Forty Four

Some people myself included know something is going on. To prove it is another thing. The planning board is nothing but a bunch of skunks I've attended some of their meeting anything goes they are without reasoning abillity. The Mayor smells the most along with others. I wish the US Attorney would setup a sting they could scoop these morons up all in one shot. Our Town has caught the Ironbound itch

Archived