Mangin's Ethics Questions

Guest PatrickFitzgerald

Guest PatrickFitzgerald

A little over a year ago, Councilman Mangin was told by Mayor Santos and the town attorney not to participate in negotiations over financial terms with redevelopers for the Passaic Avenue redevelopment area because he had an ethics conflict. Mangin accused the Mayor and town attorney of playing politics.

Mangin said he would prove the Mayor wrong by getting a decision from the State of New Jersey's ethics board that would exonerate him.

Mangin misses three Council meetings before the June primary election. Mangin loses the election in a close race.

After his election loss, Mangin returns to a Council meeting and says the State ethics board said he had a conflict. He refuses to make public the board's decision even though he had said he would before the election. Santos asks him several times to make public the determination but Mangin refuses.

When did Mangin receive his decision? Does it admonish him for ethics violations? How many times did he try to change the board's opinion? Did he try to bury his reprimand before a close election? After he lost, why the continued cover up?

Mangin is employed as a manager at one of the sites in the Passaic Avenue redevelopment area. He sought sensitive information on how much money the potential redevelopers had to redevelop the area including the site where he works. Why? Who did he share it with?

Mangin rationalized that since he was allowed to vote on the overall plan and goals for the Passaic Avenue redevelopment zone that he should also be able to sit in on discussions and negotitations about the financial terms. That was obviously rejected by the State; even Mangin admitted so after the election.

What did the State ethics board actually say? Mangin can put this to rest by posting the decisions and letters he received from the ethics board. He should also post his letters to them. Just scan the originals in. Let the facts be told. Then he can spin however he wants to.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Catch 22

What's the matter, is Jim getting credit for knowing too much, so you want to discredit him or at least changle the subject. Mangin can't hold a candle to what has gone on in this town. So take your little distraction and well,,,, you know.

Guest A. Realist
This has to be Mayor Santos. it's so lame.

Lame? What's so lame about an ethics ruling? If I understand it correctly, Mangin was saying it was okay for him to obtain inside information and to vote on decisions concerning his boss' prospective competition. Sounds unethical to me!

Guest John Fitzgerald
A little over a year ago, Councilman Mangin was told by Mayor Santos and the town attorney not to participate in negotiations over financial terms with redevelopers for the Passaic Avenue redevelopment area because he had an ethics conflict.  Mangin accused the Mayor and town attorney of playing politics.

Mangin said he would prove the Mayor wrong by getting a decision from the State of New Jersey's ethics board that would exonerate him. 

Mangin misses three Council meetings before the June primary election.  Mangin loses the election in a close race.

After his election loss, Mangin returns to a Council meeting and says the State ethics board said he had a conflict. He refuses to make public the board's decision even though he had said he would before the election.  Santos asks him several times to make public the determination but Mangin refuses.

When did Mangin receive his decision?  Does it admonish him for ethics violations?  How many times did he try to change the board's opinion?  Did he try to bury his reprimand before a close election?  After he lost, why the continued cover up?

Mangin is employed as a manager at one of the sites in the Passaic Avenue redevelopment area.  He sought sensitive information on how much money the potential redevelopers had to redevelop the area including the site where he works.  Why?  Who did he share it with? 

Mangin rationalized that since he was allowed to vote on the overall plan and goals for the Passaic Avenue redevelopment zone that he should also be able to sit in on discussions and negotitations about the financial terms.  That was obviously rejected by the State; even Mangin admitted so after the election.

What did the State ethics board actually say?  Mangin can put this to rest by posting the decisions and letters he received from the ethics board.  He should also post his letters to them.  Just scan the originals in.  Let the facts be told.  Then he can spin however he wants to.

Ask not what you can do for Shop-Rite,

Ask what Shop-Rite can do for you!

Guest Guest
Lame? What's so lame about an ethics ruling? If I understand it correctly, Mangin was saying it was okay for him to obtain inside information and to vote on decisions concerning his boss' prospective competition. Sounds unethical to me!

A. Realist why don't you ask your alter ego Barbara Sherry whether its unethical to get your family members town jobs? Also ask whether your fellow 2nd Ward councilwoman thinks its unethical to do the same? councilman Mangin's post is correct you guys are so used to spinning that you actually believe your own spin. Remember when you first made it up it was not true, it's still not true. The mayor filled the pockets of bond counsel and the auditor unnecessarily by bonding when he had no need to bond.

Guest A. Realist
A. Realist why don't you ask your alter ego Barbara Sherry whether its unethical to get your family members town jobs?

Wait, are you referring to the daughter who is a teacher? The one who graduated first in her class? The one who was in the Kearny school system for about 3 years before Sherry was on the council? The one who has helped raise Lincoln School's math scores on the standarized tests? The one who went on to become Teacher of the Year? That one?

My grandaughters had her in Junior High and loved her. So, even if she had help getting her foot in the door (and I have no knowledge that this is the truth) then I think Kearny got the best of the deal!

Guest Guest
Wait, are you referring to the daughter who is a teacher? The one who graduated first in her class? The one who was in the Kearny school system for about 3 years before Sherry was on the council? The one who has helped raise Lincoln School's math scores on the standarized tests? The one who went on to become Teacher of the Year? That one?

My grandaughters had her in Junior High and loved her. So, even if she had help getting her foot in the door (and I have no knowledge that this is the truth) then I think Kearny got the best of the deal!

No, Barbara. I am referring to a more recent hire a little of South of the town hall but in the 2nd ward.

Guest Guest
A. Realist why don't you ask your alter ego Barbara Sherry whether its unethical to get your family members town jobs?  Also ask whether your fellow 2nd Ward councilwoman thinks its unethical to do the same?  councilman Mangin's post is correct you guys are so used to spinning that you actually believe your own spin.  Remember when you first made it up it was not true, it's still not true.  The mayor filled the pockets of bond counsel and the auditor unnecessarily by bonding when he had no need to bond.

cash can't be traced. think!

Guest Guest

I think this question was directed to the other second ward council member--the one with the son in law vice principal

Guest StillWaiting

You can't sit back (or join in) and enjoy the barrage on this board against Santos, Pettigrew, Sherry and then cry foul when questions are posed and facts alleged against one of your favorites. Unless you're willing to be consistent in your criticism, that makes Catch22 and Guest quite the hypocrites.

An ethics violation is usually a death knell for a politician. If there was one here, it would certainly explain the cover up. I think this is a very serious matter.

A little over a year ago, Councilman Mangin was told by Mayor Santos and the town attorney not to participate in negotiations over financial terms with redevelopers for the Passaic Avenue redevelopment area because he had an ethics conflict.  Mangin accused the Mayor and town attorney of playing politics.

Mangin misses three Council meetings before the June primary election.  Mangin loses the election in a close race.

After his election loss, Mangin returns to a Council meeting and says the State ethics board said he had a conflict. He refuses to make public the board's decision even though he had said he would before the election.  Santos asks him several times to make public the determination but Mangin refuses.

When did Mangin receive his decision?  Does it admonish him for ethics violations?  How many times did he try to change the board's opinion?  Did he try to bury his reprimand before a close election?  After he lost, why the continued cover up?

Mangin is employed as a manager at one of the sites in the Passaic Avenue redevelopment area.  He sought sensitive information on how much money the potential redevelopers had to redevelop the area including the site where he works.  Why?  Who did he share it with? 

Mangin rationalized that since he was allowed to vote on the overall plan and goals for the Passaic Avenue redevelopment zone that he should also be able to sit in on discussions and negotitations about the financial terms.  That was obviously rejected by the State; even Mangin admitted so after the election.

What did the State ethics board actually say?  Mangin can put this to rest by posting the decisions and letters he received from the ethics board.  He should also post his letters to them.  Just scan the originals in.  Let the facts be told.  Then he can spin however he wants to.

Very clever Al, but every body just got their tax bill and Magins ethics won't distract them to much. Hey! what the heck just float some bonds,yea that's the ticket. It's unfortunate that the town has fallen into this pattern of bonding makeing all the lawyers wealthy. But hey that's the lawyers for ya and we all know how ethical they are don't we. Spin boo boo spin!

Guest Guest

No, you are quite right on the above. This is another one hired recently by the KMUA. Gee..thought you would have known that.

History repeats itself. In 2004 I challenged the Mayor's "Pine Sol Bond" and he responded by "charging" me with a conflict of interest on the Passaic Ave. Re-Development Plan. It didn't work then, and it won't work now.

As I told the Mayor last year, why didn't I have a conflict in 2002 when we voted on the plan? Why all of a sudden in 2004 was there a conflict? What happened between 2002 and 2004? Well, what happened was 2003 - the 2003 Primary that is, when I ran against Mayor Santos.

I told Mayor Santos that instead of constantly whining about it, he should file an ethics complaint against me. He wouldn't. Instead he preferred to display his maturity and whine. Finally I told him that if he didn't file the complaint, I would seek an Advisory Opinion and abide by their decision.

Now, as to some of the bull**** contained in this post:

I didn't say they would "exonerate" me. I said they would offer an opinion, which they did.

Mangin misses three Council meetings before the June primary election. Mangin loses the election in a close race.

I missed the Council meeting of May 25 (my son's birthday). That was the 1st Council meeting I missed in 2004. For the record, Mike Landy and Jose Torres missed three Council meeting before the June primary.

After his election loss, Mangin returns to a Council meeting and says the State ethics board said he had a conflict. He refuses to make public the board's decision even though he had said he would before the election. Santos asks him several times to make public the determination but Mangin refuses.

I never refused to make the decision public. I stated that the Advisory Opinion was that yes, there was a conflict of interest. I never refused to give a copy of the decision to the Mayor. He's welcome to it. As are you, or anyone else. E-mail me at jimmangin@aol.com and I'll send it to you. Don't put words in my mouth. It was a public meeting. Listen to the tape.

When did Mangin receive his decision?

I received the letter on May 12, 2004.

Does it admonish him for ethics violations? How many times did he try to change the board's opinion? Did he try to bury his reprimand before a close election? After he lost, why the continued cover up?

Read the decision after I send it to you and you'll see - no ethics violations, no attempts to change the board's opinion, no reprimand, no cover-up. Where did you dream up all of this stuff?

Mangin is employed as a manager at one of the sites in the Passaic Avenue redevelopment area. He sought sensitive information on how much money the potential redevelopers had to redevelop the area including the site where he works. Why? Who did he share it with?

All the information I received was given to me by the Town Attorney, who knew I was employed by Shop Rite but, like I said, didn't see it as a conflict until I ran against the Mayor. I never sought to find out how much money the developer had. Everyone knows Bruce Ratner is a bazillionaire.

What did the State ethics board actually say? Mangin can put this to rest by posting the decisions and letters he received from the ethics board.

Again, e-mail me and I'll send it to you. I can't post it here. It's too long. But I'd be happy to send it if you e-mail me. Or, like I told the Mayor about filing the ethics complaint - PUT UP OR SHUT UP.. My guess is that, like the Mayor, you won't put up. So, try the latter.

Jim Mangin

ps - And this still doesn't diffuse the bonding issue.

Guest A. Realist

Face it Jimbo! You S**K! Now leave our Mayor alone with your petty complaints. So we borrowed a little money. So what?

You still S**K.

Guest Guest 2
Get your facts straight.  That is the Third Ward Councilwoman.

JW

You're right, Joe. It's so hard to tell them apart, they have been so busy in the employment business..forgot that one. hehehehhe

Guest Guest

Thanks for the explanation Mr. Mangin. As a distraction that was pretty lame. Now, let's hear your critics tell us how many jobs you got for your relatives. They are amusing.

Guest Major
Face it Jimbo! You S**K! Now leave our Mayor alone with your petty complaints. So we borrowed a little money. So what?

You still S**K.

Oh my Al. Realist now feels threathen by the truth. Your friend Barbara Sherry stated she likes your posts now I wonder if she would approve?

Guest Guest

Hmmm. Teacher of the year in so short a time. Usually reserved for those teachers who have 20+ years in and are retiring. I wonder.

As long as she's not ******** ******* ******!!! :angry:

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Guest Guest
You can't sit back (or join in)  and enjoy the barrage on this board against Santos, Pettigrew, Sherry and then cry foul when questions are posed and facts alleged against one of your favorites.  Unless you're willing to be consistent in your criticism, that makes Catch22 and Guest quite the hypocrites.

An ethics violation is usually a death knell for a politician.  If there was one here,  it would certainly explain the cover up.  I think this is a very serious matter.

Ethics violation deadly for a politician...nowadays... you're kidding right?!?!!? :angry:

Guest A. Realist

You still S**K.

Stop, you're embarrassing yourself! You're going to have to do better than that. Nobody could mistake that boring, nondescript post for one of mine!

Guest Short memory
A. Realist why don't you ask your alter ego Barbara Sherry whether its unethical to get your family members town jobs?  Also ask whether your fellow 2nd Ward councilwoman thinks its unethical to do the same?

Why is that no one ever mentions that Mr. Mangin's wife is employed by the Board of Ed. and that John Pinho who posts here under several aliases served as attorney for one of the boards and was also nominated at one time by his "sister" former councilwoman Alves to be town attorney? Just wondering.

History repeats itself. In 2004 I challenged the Mayor's "Pine Sol Bond" and he responded by "charging" me with a conflict of interest on the Passaic Ave. Re-Develoment Plan. It didn't work then, and it won't work now.

As I told the Mayor last year, why didn't I have a conflict in 2002 when we voted the plan? Why all of a sudden in 2004 was there a conflict? What happened between 2002 and 2004? Well, what happened was 2003 - the 2003 Primary that is, when I ran against Mayor Santos.

I told Mayor Santos that instead of constantly whining about it, he should file an ethics complaint against me. He wouldn't. Instead he preferred to display his maturity and whine. Finally I told him that if he didn't file the complaint, I would seek an Advisory Opinion and abide by their decision.

Now, as to some of the bull**** contained in this post:

I didn't say they would "exonerate" me. I said they would offer an opinion, which they did.

I missed the Council meeting of May 25 (my son's birthday). That was the 1st Council meeting I missed in 2004. For the record, Mike Landy and Jose Torres missed three Council meeting before the June primary.

I never refused to make the decision public. I stated that the Advisory Opinion was that yes, there was a conflict of interest. I never refused to give a copy of the decision to the Mayor. He's welcome to it. As are you, or anyone else. E-mail me at jimmangin@aol.com and I'll send it to you. Don't put words in my mouth. It was a public meeting. Listen to the tape.

When did Mangin receive his decision?

I received the letter on May 12, 2004.

Does it admonish him for ethics violations?  How many times did he try to change the board's opinion?  Did he try to bury his reprimand before a close election?  After he lost, why the continued cover up?

Read the decision after I send it to you and you'll see - no ethics violations, no attempts to change the board's opinion, no reprimand, no cover-up. Where did you dream up all of this stuff?

All the information I received was given to me by the Town Attorney, who knew I was employed by Shop Rite but, like I said, didn't see it as a conflict until I ran against the Mayor. I never sought to find out how much money the developer had. Everyone knows Bruce Ratner is a bazillionaire. 

What did the State ethics board actually say?  Mangin can put this to rest by posting the decisions and letters he received from the ethics board.

Again, e-mail me and I'll send it to you. I can't post it here. It's too long. But I'd be happy to send it if you e-mail me. Or, like the I told the Mayor about filing the ethics complaint - PUT UP OR SHUT UP.. My guess is that, like the Mayor, you won't put up. So, try the latter.

Jim Mangin

ps - And this doesn't diffuse the bonding issue.

Well Jim I guess you struck a nerve, but as you know taxes and bonding are the real issue here. This ethics posting has the Mayors finger prints all over it. Just keep telling the truth your getting to them. Now lets talk about conflicts, how about the board president being the Mayors aid? Maybe the state ethics board should check that out. Is everybody happy with their tax bill? Hang in Jim your right and they know it.

Archived