7,000 New Homes / 14,000 New Students

Guest Mr Harrison

Guest Mr Harrison

Does anyone in this town care that our schools are about to be overrun with a flood of new students from the 7,000 new housing units our " town leaders" are planning for this town.

I can't believe that I haven't heard or read one word about this impending nightmare. I have 2 little kids in the school system and I'm very concerned about what their future school years will be like.

I just don't know how our schools can handle this. Does anyone have some answers ??

They will continue to lease out space from Holy Cross school - unfortunately Holy Cross's enrollment is getting lower and lower each year, that in turn opens up more space for Harrison to lease which in turn cost the tax payers more wasted money.

Guest Mr. Harrison
They will continue to lease out space from Holy Cross school - unfortunately Holy Cross's enrollment is getting lower and lower each year, that in turn opens up more space for Harrison to lease which in turn cost the tax payers more wasted money.

Leasing a few classrooms from Holy Cross is not covering 14,000 new students. 25 students per classroom x 8 classrooms ?? = 200 students. What about the other 13,800.

I don't get the public apathy ( you people with 5th grade writing levels will have to look that up) on this. WE HAVE A CRISIS SITUATION LOOMING AHEAD OF US AND EVERYONE IS SLEEPING.

Guest Guest

I have to agree with the post above me, leasing a few class rooms will not solve the problem. It'll be like putting a band aid on a big leak...The Mayor's best interest is obvious. The kids won't have a field to play in and when these homes go up the town population will balloon...Therefore the schools will be vastly overcrowded.

Guest Doubt it

I seriosly doubt 14,000 kids will be moving into the new homes. I see a lot of business couples moving into those homes. I can see 14,000 coming from the population now - kids having kids.

Guest Guest

Lets go beyond the overcrowding in the schools, how about recreational facilities. I don't see any new facilities on the drawing board. We are short of facilities now. Ask the people on William Street where the kids are going to play, and how it has affected the quality of life for the residents of William Street. Redevelopment is one thing but poor planing is going to make this whole thing a mess for both the residence and their children.

Guest Town Resident
I seriosly doubt 14,000 kids will be moving into the new homes.  I see a lot of business couples moving into those homes.  I can see 14,000 coming from the population now - kids having kids.

Why would you doubt it. These are national statistics, the average family has something like 2.3 kids. Granted , there will be business couples without kids, for now. Other families will certainly have 4 kids and more, and it will balance out.

Guest Town Resident
Lets go beyond the overcrowding in the schools, how about recreational facilities.  I don't see any new facilities on the drawing board.  We are short of facilities now.  Ask the people on William Street where the kids are going to play, and how it has affected the quality of life for the residents of William Street.    Redevelopment is one thing but poor planing is going to make this whole thing a mess for both the residence and their children.

You're absolutely right, the school situation is only the tip of the iceberg. Traffic, parking, garbage pick-up, police and fire protection, recreation facilities, all these things will be impacted. The town is woefully lacking in recreation facilities: soccer fields, tennis courts, baseball fields, even a place to throw a frisbee around.

This redevelopment was an opportunity for our town leaders to set aside areas for playing fields for our kids. This shows everyone how much they care about the residents.

Why they want to cram 7,000 new housing units into an already crowded town is something I'll never understand. The taxes these new homes bring in will be more than negated by soaring school taxes, more police and fire protection, garbage and sewerage costs, additional town hall employees. And just wait until they have to start looking at new schools to handlle all these kids.

Archived