Good decision or major blunder ??

Guest TOWN RESIDENT

Guest TOWN RESIDENT

Here's a question for the town residents to consider. The schools are overcrowded and there is no money or property to build additional classroom space. So you would probably think that increasing the town population is not a good idea. You would also probably think that light, clean industry would be the goal for the redevelopment areas in town, since industry would pay taxes without putting a burden on our schools.

If you haven't thought about this, apparently our town leaders haven't thought about it either. Wait until all these new families over the next couple of years start pumping all their kids into the school system.

Here's a question for the town residents to consider. The schools are overcrowded and there is no money or property to build additional classroom space. So you would probably think that increasing the town population is not a good idea. You would also probably think that light, clean industry would be the goal for the redevelopment areas in town, since industry would pay taxes without putting a burden on our schools.

If you haven't thought about this, apparently our town leaders haven't thought about it either. Wait until all these new families over the next couple of years start pumping all their kids into the school system.

Only a very intelligent person such as yourself would think of such a thing.You should take over the Country and solve all our problems.( Wow such Wit )

Guest Guest

Your staement makes sense that is why it will never happen.....This town does not have anyone running it that has 2 peas to rub together for a brain never mind think of anything that makes any sense

Guest Guest

Good idea and easy to say but try to attract "light industry" as you call it. There is not much of it to go around. The number one way to attract what's available is to offer tax incentives, which is not what is needed.

A 20-story office building complex would be ideal by the PATH. An I think it would fill.

As for the other areas, single family housing with bigger lots. They would sell. The river project looks nice and almost anything that is built is welcome to replace this eyesore called Harrison. But it is logistically not practical.

Guest harrisonhankyhead

Don't you tell me what I would and would not think. Mind your own damn business.

Guest Realtor
Good idea and easy to say but try to attract "light industry" as you call it. There is not much of it to go around. The number one way to attract what's available is to offer tax incentives, which is not what is needed.

A 20-story office building complex would be ideal by the PATH. An I think it would fill.

As for the other areas, single family housing with bigger lots. They would sell. The river project looks nice and almost anything that is built is welcome to replace this eyesore called Harrison. But it is logistically not practical.

I disagree that there is not much light industry "to go around". Actually there are always industries looking to relocate. And Harrison, with it's proximity to mass transit and major highways would be a prime location for these industries.

I don't know why the town hasn't gone after this kind of redevelopment instead of building multiple dwellings, which will add a major burden to the school system. In my opinion, in years to come there will be a terrible situation with overcrowding in the schools.

Guest Guest

Fair. But how do you attract them? I think they would always be looking for a tax break which I wouldn't want to offer.

I think we agree that multi family dwellings should not be part of the future plans.

Guest concerned Citizen

The Town has been trying to attract "light industry", but be realistic most business' have moved out of New Jersey because its cheaper and more cost efficient to either move down South or to other countries. You don't think other Towns are experiencing the same problems Harrison is having! New Jersey is one of the most expensive States to live in, so forget about trying to get other companies here - it not possible!!!!!!!! We should all be putting our heads together to find out other options, instead of writing stupid things on this discussion board.

Guest Realtor
The Town has been trying to attract "light industry", but be realistic most business' have moved out of New Jersey because its cheaper and more cost efficient to either move down South or to other countries.  You don't think other Towns are experiencing the same problems Harrison is having!  New Jersey is one of the most expensive States to live in, so forget about trying to get other companies here - it not possible!!!!!!!!  We should all be putting our heads together to find out other options, instead of writing stupid things on this discussion board.

You obviously have no knowledge of the commercial real estate market. At present there are many commercial buildings under construction all over north jersey. And most of them are being built in towns that don't have Harrison's accessability to mass transit and major highways.

If you're going to voice an opinion, you should try to have an understanding of the subject matter, othwise you sound like an idiot.

Guest Guest

Concerned citizen... writing stupid things? You way off base here and maybe you should stick to other topics. Yes, several businesses leave NJ each day, but several move in each day and there are also new ones as well. Harrsion is ideally located for some of these.

Discussion was how to attract these companies. So if you want to add some meaningful comments please do so.

We were not talking about Otis , RCA or the Worthington's. Not only have they moved out of NJ, but out of the country for the most part. Sounds like you worked for one of those and haven't read the papers in a few decades.

Guest Former Town Resident
Concerned citizen... writing stupid things?  You way off base here and maybe you should stick to other topics. Yes, several businesses leave NJ each day, but several move in each day and there are also new ones as well. Harrsion is ideally located for some of these.

Discussion was how to attract these companies. So if you want to add some meaningful comments please do so.

We were not talking about Otis , RCA or the Worthington's. Not only have they moved out of NJ, but out of the country for the most part. Sounds like you worked for one of those and haven't read the papers in a few decades.

Did I read that the Town is adding 8,000 new housing units?? Can that be possible ?? Aren't the schools overcrowded now and they're using trailers as classrooms ?? Unless the town is planning on building new schools for this mass influx of kids, the schools are going to be out of control. Did the Mayor and Council consider the impact on the schools before they agreed to this huge increase in population ?? Tell me they have an answer to this !! Tell me they didn't agree to this huge influx without considering the impact on the schools !!

Guest Flash in the pan

Light industry is a thing of the past due to the taxing system. most industry has left the state and what is left is thinking about leaving. We need less taxation on business and allow them to make money then we will see more jobs. We are being taxed out of our homes and and towns that once thrived. This person is right more homes and more children will strain the school system and that will create a need for more teachers and higher taxes on everyone. We have to stop spendig money to save money it won't work. The only people that make out on these type of projects are the contractors that subcontract to non union labor. Think about it.

Archived