King & Schuyler Flooding

Hey_Vern

Flooding puts it Mildly. I routinely witnessed the intersection of King and Schuyler become a virtual lake / river on my way home from work at least five times! This intersection goes underwater with one home literally surrounded by rushing waters of near from three feet to over five feet in the rear yard! To say that so much water is not entering at least one basement would be absurd!

I have spoken to the people once last year and they indicated that two cars were filled with water when a sudden late night /early morning storm blew through the area submerging their two cars in water filling the passenger compartments of both and entering the trunk on the other! Truthfully, there's is no way town officials could not know of such rapidly moving waters near homes -- especially since numerous motorist have become stranded in the very water at this one intersection!

So what’s going on? Noticing work being at King and Ivy streets, I can't help but to wonder will it provide any relief at all to all those affected? Living on Schuyler and Wilson, I know all too well what to expect on the way home from work at that location (not to ignore others which flood as well.) [And to think I thought I got it bad!] I have noticed that not much was in print on this with the exception of few times over the maybe two years. There clearly is some close parallel between what I have read in another forum about this very thing. What I read was disturbing at best...that was the residents had more to do with a pump station then did the town officials? If true, then we know just where to place the dunce cap.

Further development should be cautiously focused on in any area where this could be a resulting effect. Not being one who must cope with such a worry does make me wonder if in fact the same could be looming for even more residents! THOSE AT KING AND SCHUYLER, I AM WITH YOU ON THIS ISSUE! I’ve seen it several times and witnessed the amount of water involved here.

Guest guest
Flooding puts it Mildly.   I routinely witnessed the intersection of King and Schuyler become a virtual lake / river on my way home from work at least five times!  This intersection goes underwater with one home literally surrounded by rushing waters of near from three feet to over five feet in the rear yard!  To say that so much water is not entering at least one basement would be absurd!

I have spoken to the people once last year and they indicated that two cars were filled with water when a sudden late night  /early morning storm blew through the area submerging their two cars in water filling the passenger compartments of both and entering the trunk on the other!  Truthfully, there's is no way town officials could not know of such rapidly moving waters near homes -- especially since numerous motorist have become stranded in the very water at this one intersection! 

So what’s going on?  Noticing work being at King and Ivy streets, I can't help but to wonder will it provide any relief at all to all those affected?  Living on Schuyler and Wilson, I know all too well what to expect on the way home from work at that location (not to ignore others which flood as well.) [And to think I thought I got it bad!]  I have noticed that not much was in print on this with the exception of few times over the maybe two years. There clearly is some close parallel between what I have read in another forum about this very thing.  What I read was disturbing at best...that was the residents had more to do with a pump station then did the town officials?  If true, then we know just where to place the dunce cap.

Further development should be cautiously focused on in any area where this could be a resulting effect.  Not being one who must cope with such a worry does make me wonder if in fact the same could be looming for even more residents!  THOSE AT KING AND SCHUYLER, I AM WITH YOU ON THIS ISSUE!  I’ve seen it several times and witnessed the amount of water involved here.

Are you stating the residents suggested a pump? : :(

Guest Resident

Wouldn't be cheaper to just buy these folks homes at market prices rather than pay the Town Engineer to design a pump station that will not solve the problem? The Town Engineer has been milking the sewers of Kearny for years, it's his annuity. Buy the homes and create some green space including a dog park and it will solve everyone's problem and save us a lot of money.

Guest Loki

Problems with a buyout:

1. What is the fair market value of a home that routinely floods?

(I am not in any way suggesting the homeowners are responsible for the problem or the financial burden of the solution. Just raising the question.)

2. How many homes would need to be bought out, and what would be the subsequent effect on tax ratables?

3. We all know that Kearny's infrastructure is in need of attention. Increased traffic, population (albeit, some is not REPORTED), and demand on town services.

This seems a difficult problem, I hope the residents find an acceptable solution. It seems that, from previous posts that our sewer lines are inadequate. Perhaps now is the time to begin improving these conditions. King and Schuyler might be one of the first places that this problem has occured, but I'm sure in time, it won't be the last.

Guest ivy st.

Wouldn't be cheaper to just buy these folks homes at market prices rather than pay the Town Engineer to design a pump station that will not solve the problem? The Town Engineer has been milking the sewers of Kearny for years, it's his annuity. Buy the homes and create some green space including a dog park and it will solve everyone's problem and save us a lot of money.

You are right Congressman Rothman suggested to the Mayor to purchase the homes. Iam a neighbor down the street from this horrible problem. Many people agree with you about the engineer...................But remember the Mayor is in charge of this Town .1st. Question- Why did it take years for a pump? 2. Who suggested a pump? 3. How can anyone praise this Mayor and Council? When my neighbors been living with a raw sewage nightmare since the year 2000. FIVE LONG YEARS AND NOTHING WAS DONE......

Wouldn't be cheaper to just buy these folks homes at market prices rather than  pay the Town Engineer to design a pump station that will not solve the problem?  The Town Engineer has been milking the sewers of Kearny for years, it's his annuity.  Buy the homes and create some green space including a dog park and it will solve everyone's problem and save us a lot of money.

:(:( vern is right! your idea is a easy fix not long term !stop all the bilding in town and cut back rentals!this will help a bit! then look to the feds for the money or pay pay pay! :(:(;)

Guest Resident
Problems with a buyout:

1. What is the fair market value of a home that routinely floods? 

(I am not in any way suggesting the homeowners are responsible for the problem or the financial burden of the solution.  Just raising the question.)

2. How many homes would need to be bought out, and what would be the subsequent effect on tax ratables?

3. We all know that Kearny's infrastructure is in need of attention.  Increased traffic, population (albeit, some is not REPORTED), and demand on town services.

This seems a difficult problem, I hope the residents find an acceptable solution.  It seems that, from previous posts that our sewer lines are inadequate.  Perhaps now is the time to begin improving these conditions.  King and Schuyler might be one of the first places that this problem has occured, but I'm sure in time, it won't be the last.

So Mayor Santos, Councilmembers, or former Councilman Mangin:

Can you answer the above questions?

I'll start you out with the 1st. No 1. Hire a professional appraiser (or two or three) for about $500-700 each to give you the appraised value of the property with and without the flood issue. Take an average and there is your price.

No. 2. Look at the tax assessor records and see how much the properties are paying in property taxes. Add them up.

No. 3. Not a question, a statement.

Here is a great location for a dog park and some recreational field for the kids or some benches. When it gets wet. We can wait until it dries up.

Guest Guest
Wouldn't be cheaper to just buy these folks homes at market prices rather than  pay the Town Engineer to design a pump station that will not solve the problem?  The Town Engineer has been milking the sewers of Kearny for years, it's his annuity.  Buy the homes and create some green space including a dog park and it will solve everyone's problem and save us a lot of money.

I believe there is a law, which does not allow municipalities to purchase homes.

Guest Guest
Are you stating the residents suggested a pump? : :(

Actually, the DEP was responsible for the pump station being installed. It was they who suggested it be done as a way to combat the wastewater problem -- however, is this isn't a one hundred percent guarantee! The pump station should alleviate much of the wastewater, which surges from the manholes at that location.

Guest GUEST
Actually, the DEP was responsible for the pump station being installed.  It was they who suggested it be done as a way to combat the wastewater problem -- however, is this isn't a one hundred percent guarantee! The pump station should alleviate much of the wastewater, which surges from the manholes at that location.

Why did it take so long for this pump to be suggested for these residents? The Mayor should be ashamed of himself.All those years and no one did anything. I could not imagine having to live in a house that floods with raw sewage. Who represents this part of Town??

Guest Guest
Why did it take so long for this pump to be suggested for these residents? The Mayor should be ashamed of himself.All those years and no one did anything. I could not imagine having to live in a house that floods with raw sewage. Who represents this part of Town??

It took that long but was instigated and resulted primarily as the result of law suite filed largely forcing action as ordered by DEP. Back in summer of 1998, a letter was sent from the health department back to either all affected or some affected by this. In that letter, an apology was offered to those living with the problem and that they, the [health department] were sorry -- but there is nothing that the town can do.

One who has much of the CORRECT facts on this is a member of this bulletin board who has posted much information on the subject. I won't use his name here without permission.

Guest guest
It took that long but was instigated and resulted primarily as the result of law suite filed largely forcing action as ordered by DEP.  Back in summer of 1998, a letter was sent from the health department back to either all affected or some affected by this.  In that letter, an apology was offered to those living with the problem and that they, the [health department] were sorry -- but there is nothing that the town can do.

One who has much of the CORRECT facts on this is a member of this bulletin board who has posted much information on the subject.  I won't use his name here without permission.

Why did it take 5 years? Is the person you are referring to Mr. Mangin? It seems to me he is the only person who has the information on this problem. I live near Hickory St. and I have seen Fire Trucks numerous times near the homes that flood. Who suggested a pump? Why did the Town wait so long??Can anyone answer????

Guest voter
Why did it take 5 years? Is the  person you are referring to  Mr. Mangin? It seems to me he is the only person who has the information on this problem. I live near Hickory St. and I have seen Fire Trucks numerous times near the homes that flood. Who suggested a pump? Why did the Town wait so long??Can anyone answer????

It seems to me that our elected officials only answer when they want to.

Guest Guest 70
Why did it take 5 years? Is the  person you are referring to  Mr. Mangin? It seems to me he is the only person who has the information on this problem. I live near Hickory St. and I have seen Fire Trucks numerous times near the homes that flood. Who suggested a pump? Why did the Town wait so long??Can anyone answer????

Mr. Mangin probably isn't the only one with info on this topic. He is, however, the only one who wishes to respond.

Guest murph

You are right Congressman Rothman suggested to the Mayor to purchase the homes. Iam a neighbor down the street from this horrible problem. Many people agree with you about the engineer...................But remember the Mayor is in charge of this Town .1st. Question- Why did it take years for a pump? 2. Who suggested a pump? 3. How can anyone praise this Mayor and Council? When my neighbors been living with a raw sewage nightmare since the year 2000. FIVE LONG YEARS AND NOTHING WAS DONE......

I agree with you Ivy. Neglia has been Town Engineer for 35 years! Still doesn't have a clue how to fix it.

You are right  Congressman Rothman suggested to the Mayor to purchase the homes.  Iam a neighbor down the street from this horrible problem. Many people agree with you about the engineer...................But remember the Mayor  is in charge of this Town .1st. Question- Why did it take years for a pump?                    2. Who suggested a pump?    3. How can anyone praise this Mayor and Council?    When my neighbors been living with a raw sewage nightmare since the year 2000.  FIVE LONG YEARS AND NOTHING WAS DONE......

I agree with you Ivy. Neglia has been Town Engineer for 35 years!  Still doesn't have a clue how to fix it.

B):huh: new pipes and treatment plant ! the towns own and IN KEARNY NOT NWK!!!THE WHOLE SYSTEM !THERE AND THATS FOR FREE! SO DO IT! :huh::huh::huh:

Guest Guest

You are right  Congressman Rothman suggested to the Mayor to purchase the homes.  Iam a neighbor down the street from this horrible problem. Many people agree with you about the engineer...................But remember the Mayor  is in charge of this Town .1st. Question- Why did it take years for a pump?                    2. Who suggested a pump?    3. How can anyone praise this Mayor and Council?    When my neighbors been living with a raw sewage nightmare since the year 2000.  FIVE LONG YEARS AND NOTHING WAS DONE......

I agree with you Ivy. Neglia has been Town Engineer for 35 years!  Still doesn't have a clue how to fix it.

No you don't understand, what happens is this, the mayor calls neglia and says fix this problem. Now neglia goes to drawing board and comes up with a plan.with a price tag I might add. He takes it to the mayor and the mayor freaks out and says that's to much money. So they start changing things and what you wind up with is a quick fix, and everybody is happy, for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CrazyLikeaFox
No you don't understand, what happens is this, the mayor calls neglia and says fix this problem. Now neglia goes to drawing board and comes up with a plan.with a price tag I might add. He takes it to the mayor and the mayor freaks out and says that's to much money. So they start changing things and what you wind up with is a quick fix, and everybody is happy, for a while.

If the R and D behind the old bandaid fix underway burps then the next prudent course of action is dissconnection. The sewer drainage problem is a complex one and I feel the on site circumstances say the enviormental hazards could be fixed in the affected homes if the sewer lines going to the streets from the affected homes were disconnected from the town service and plugged. These now sealed sewer lines from the homes could feed into self contained cesspit tanks which could be installed either in the basements or under the front lawns of the contaminated homes until a permanate fix could be employed . These cesspit tanks could be emptied monthly by the DPW Vac All truck. After todays Sumpreme court ruling the Mayor could play hard ball and take these homes under eminet domain using the affected home owners own depositions to condemn the homes immediately for unsafe living conditions while promoting that a new development in the affected flood zone would be the only way for the Town to effectively cure the flooding problem.

Archived