Mayor Santos

Guest Ghosts of the Past

Guest Ghosts of the Past

Does anyone remember when Santos was running for his council seat, and he talked of how much better this town could be?

He talked about revenue base, and infrastructure, and the common sense approach to settlling contracts before the taxpayer was hit hard in the wallet.

What in the world happened to that guy? Some of these answers are not that simple, but I would think he would be able to negotiate the town employees contracts. If those that remain unsettled had demands that were that outlandish, surely one of the local papers would have accomodated the King some free press.

(Lately, they don't seem that concerned with journalistic integrity.) Since we haven't seen an article concerning unreasonable demands, I have to assume that the holdup is an unwillingness to get the job done. Must have been a hell of a lawyer if he can't even handle municipal employee contracts. Sorry, he hired that D'Arco fellow for these efforts.

Well done, AL.

When contract talks get to the point of arbitration there is usually a gag order by the arbitrator. This could be why you see nothing in the local, recently low end, newspaper.

Guest Sum of it all

Well Mr ghost it seems you have a good point. But your ending concerning D'Arco should have read who's sorry now? But we all must admit the town is a better place to live for a select few that collect huge pay checks. The fix is in Mr.ghost and the Mayor doesn't even realize it. He's heading for a fall. ;)

Guest A.Realist
Does anyone remember when Santos was running for his council seat, and he talked of how much better this town could be?

He talked about revenue base, and infrastructure, and the common sense approach to settlling contracts before the taxpayer was hit hard in the wallet.

What in the world happened to that guy? Some of these answers are not that simple, but I would think he would be able to negotiate the town employees contracts. If those that remain unsettled had demands that were that outlandish, surely one of the local papers would have accomodated the King some free press.

(Lately, they don't seem that concerned with journalistic integrity.) Since we haven't seen an article concerning unreasonable demands, I have to assume that the holdup is an unwillingness to get the job done. Must have been a hell of a lawyer if he can't even handle municipal employee contracts. Sorry, he hired that D'Arco fellow for these efforts.

Well done, AL.

Big Al not only talks the talk, he walks the walk. From where I sit, Kearny is better. Avenue has a facelift, garbage is picked up more frequently. As for the revenue base, you've got Applebee's and Walmart coming in very soon and Passaic Avenue redevelopment in the foreseeable future. Infrastructure is being addressed through sewer separation and repaving. It's a long, expensive process, but you would be just as critical if the guy tried to do it all at once and taxes went through the roof. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't!

Your comments about the contract negotiations are way out there. Quite a leap from no news coverage to "unwillingness to get the job done". What the hell does that mean?

PS: Ghosts, try to disguise your writing style. I knew immediately who you were.

Guest A. Realist
Well Mr ghost it seems you have a good point. But your ending concerning D'Arco should have read who's sorry now? But we all must admit the town is a better place to live for a select few that collect huge pay checks. The fix is in Mr.ghost and the Mayor doesn't even realize it. He's heading for a fall. ;)

Fix is in? Heading for a fall? Seems to me, we've heard that song before---with encores. It ain't happening.

Guest Union Member

It is time all unions rally together to rid Kearny of this self centered wanna be career politican, ALBERTO G.SANTOS. P.S. Walmart is Non Union!!!!!!

To A. Realist,

Walmart is a revenue increase. Applebee's is replacing a building that was already there, the property tax revenue may increase, but only slightly since you would have to subtract what the old All Season Automotive already brought in.

Now, tack on the increased legal expenses that came with our last TWO business administrators. (Be honest, whatever they saved us in one pocket, came out of another, and into some lawyer's pocket.) The current BA gave himself a raise BEFORE he even took the job. Couldn't we at least have said, "Wait a year, if your worth it, you'll get the raise." My boss would have said that, and so would yours. But, since this is only taxpayer money, the council said sure, whatever you want. At some point, common sense needs to take over.

Another glaring example is the CFO who misappropriated funds. The council claimed ignorance, and we gave them a pass. Rest assured if the money came from the councils' individual checking accounts, heads would have rolled.

But, alas, it wasn't THEIR money, it was only your money and my money. Color me silly, but I can't stand being seen as inconsequential. The town of Kearny deserves to have their elected officials act in their best interests. You're in denial if you think that is happening under this current administration.

From now on, you will be known as the Ostrich not Realist. Now, take your head out of the sand!!!!

Guest RADAGAST
To A. Realist,

Walmart is a revenue increase. Applebee's is replacing a building that was already there, the property tax revenue may increase, but only slightly since you would have to subtract what the old All Season Automotive already brought in.

Now, tack on the increased legal expenses that came with our last TWO business administrators. (Be honest, whatever they saved us in one pocket, came out of another, and into some lawyer's pocket.) The current BA gave himself a raise BEFORE he even took the job. Couldn't we at least have said, "Wait a year, if your worth it, you'll get the raise." My boss would have said that, and so would yours. But, since this is only taxpayer money, the council said sure, whatever you want. At some point, common sense needs to take over.

Another glaring example is the CFO who misappropriated funds. The council claimed ignorance, and we gave them a pass. Rest assured if the money came from the councils' individual checking accounts, heads would have rolled.

But, alas, it wasn't THEIR money, it was only your money and my money. Color me silly, but I can't stand being seen as inconsequential. The town of Kearny deserves to have their elected officials act in their best interests. You're in denial if you think that is happening under this current administration.

From now on, you will be known as the Ostrich not Realist. Now, take your head out of the sand!!!!

Good day to you all! Its been a while. Anyway to the point.

Loki, my old friend, there is a forest behind those trees! WalMart and Applebee's are two very important firsts for Kearny.

In spite of WalMart's awful record of employee abuse they may represent the first significant development along Harrison Ave. By next year, the extention of Bergen Ave will be complete and between those two impending events, this area of our town should start to pop. Ok... WalMart may be selling our souls to the devil, however, it has the best chance of anything in a long long time to change the face of this area and bring in other developers. Things change, WalMart may change and the best chance of that happening is for them to move into our area thinking that it will be 'business as usual' ... they may learn a well deserved lesson.

Applebee's is the first big chain family restaurant to ever come to Kearny. Big chain family restaurant corporate management ain't stupid. They KNOW where they're moving better than you do. As opposed to Harrison Ave., this area is already very productive in generating revenue for the Town and Applebees's can only make it better. They too can bring in other business and increase the tax base.

Now, is all this stuff the result of great work and diligent planning on the part of the current Mayor and Council? We could argue that but I'll give them some credit along with the recent investment in the City of Newark and in Harrison.

Thigs are looking up...why is everyone so down? ...Oh... I forgot...its a mayoral election year....

Guest A. Realist
To A. Realist,

Of course Walmart will provide new revenue. And the improvements to the Applebee's site will have a huge impact on its value as a rateable. Can't compare the value of the old All Season's facility to a brand new land improvement. You ought to know that. Also it will bring folks into the area to hopefully shop in Enterprise Zone stores and return the sales tax to the town. Since I'm not privy to the negotiations that determined the Business Administrator's salary or his responsibility for "legal expenses", you're going to have to clarify that whole vague nonsense. Don't you just hate when people hint around at improprieties without any specifics? As for the former CFO, maybe it was poor judgement to hire him in the first place, but they acted swiftly and decisively--they found him out, they led him out.

PS: rather be an ostrich than a do-do

Guest StudiesandObservations
To A. Realist,

Walmart is a revenue increase.  Applebee's is replacing a building that was already there, the property tax revenue may increase, but only slightly since you would have to subtract what the old All Season Automotive already brought in.

Now, tack on the increased legal expenses that came with our last TWO business administrators.  (Be honest, whatever they saved us in one pocket, came out of another, and into some lawyer's pocket.)  The current BA gave himself a raise BEFORE he even took the job.  Couldn't we at least have said, "Wait a year, if your worth it, you'll get the raise."  My boss would have said that, and so would yours.  But, since this is only taxpayer money, the council said sure, whatever you want.  At some point, common sense needs to take over.

Another glaring example is the CFO who misappropriated funds.  The council claimed ignorance, and we gave them a pass.  Rest assured if the money came from the councils' individual checking accounts, heads would have rolled.

But, alas, it wasn't THEIR money, it was only your money and my money.  Color me silly, but I can't stand being seen as inconsequential.  The town of Kearny deserves to have their elected officials act in their best interests.  You're in denial if you think that is happening under this current administration.

From now on, you will be known as the Ostrich not Realist.  Now, take your head out of the sand!!!!

Of course Walmart will provide new revenue. And the improvements to the Applebee's site will have a huge impact on its value as a rateable. Can't compare the value of the old All Season's facility to a brand new land improvement. You ought to know that. Also it will bring folks into the area to hopefully shop in Enterprise Zone stores and return the sales tax to the town. Since I'm not privy to the negotiations that determined the Business Administrator's salary or his responsibility for "legal expenses", you're going to have to clarify that whole vague nonsense. Don't you just hate when people hint around at improprieties without any specifics? As for the former CFO, maybe it was poor judgement to hire him in the first place, but they acted swiftly and decisively--they found him out, they led him out.

PS: rather be an ostrich than a do-do

All Season's Automotive has been gone for a number of years..for the last 6 or 7 it's been a dollar store..now, is a Restaurant better or worse than having yet another dollar store?? In my estimation Id rather have the restaurant.

I believe the point he was trying to make is, that there was an existing STRUCTURE, and yes the value of the rateables will increase. But, I agree with him that the increase will only be whatever taxes are paid above what the dollar store was paying already.

Let us also hope that there are now abatements attached to any development, because long term any development is good, but an abatement would not benefit the tax base in the near future.

Guest South Kearny

Hey, who really runs the town? Think real hard. Who ran it before Leo Vartan? Well guess who's back and dug in even deeper then before? The endless fountain of tax payer cash has been turned on again. While taxpayers scrape to make mortgage payments. Keep your eyes open Mr. Mayor things are not always as they appear. <_<

Archived