Demolishion of Home

Guest School Construction

To purchase over 80 homes it will cost the State over 42 Million Dollars and the town will lose over $800,000 per year in property tax generated by those homes. Why doesn't the state simply buy the Guyon complex on South 4th Street (Rodgers Blvd) and make that a large school campus. The Town can then sell or convert the old schools into homes or condos and make a profit and increase the property tax ratables to the town both by creating additional houses/condos and keeping the current residents paying taxes. They may even want to creat a parking lot to eliminate the parking problems currently in town especially at night. What do you think.

Guest Town Resident
To purchase over 80 homes it will cost the State over 42 Million Dollars and the town will lose over $800,000 per year in property tax generated by those homes.  Why doesn't the state simply buy the Guyon complex on South 4th Street (Rodgers Blvd) and make that a large school campus.  The Town can then sell or convert the old schools into homes or condos and make a profit and increase the property tax ratables to the town both by creating additional houses/condos and keeping the current residents paying taxes.  They may even want to creat a parking lot to eliminate the parking problems currently in town especially at night. What do you think.

Your math is a little fuzzy. 80 homes don't generate over $800,000. That would be over $10,000 per house. Also, you want to knock down the high school ?? I won't even respond to that. My advice to you is lay off the kool-aid.

Guest Guest
Your math is a little fuzzy. 80 homes don't generate over $800,000. That would be over $10,000 per house.  Also, you want to knock down the high school ?? I won't even respond to that. My advice to you is lay off the kool-aid.

I didn't think that idea was that bad.

Guest Guest
Your math is a little fuzzy. 80 homes don't generate over $800,000. That would be over $10,000 per house.  Also, you want to knock down the high school ?? I won't even respond to that. My advice to you is lay off the kool-aid.

The key to my math is that it's over 80 homes. I counted roughly 86 homes with some being multi-family (6 and over) homes on Harrison Avenue, plus the Rover property on North Fifth and Central. An exact figure will not be far from my $800,000 number.

As far as the knocking down stuff, does it make sense to knock down over 80 homes versus building a school campus on property that is now being used to park cars (or worse just vacant) and then create a combination of parking and housing which will increase property tax ratables rather than decrease property tax ratables in the footprint of the schools that will no longer be needed. No Harrison residents (some who have multiple generations in town) will be displaced by knocking their house down.

How much is it going to cost the state to purchase (without demolishing their homes)? $400,000 x 80=$32,000,000 (You can build a lot with $32,000,000 on an already empty lot).

But then again, the politicans would not get their driveways paved (ie Monmouth County politican taking a bribe)

The question was where do I get my numbers. The answer is they are public record. A 2 family house of the type that is going to be knocked down by the state is selling for at $450,000 on the open market. The other buildings will get significantly more money. Check with your local realtor on the value of your house and you will be pleasantly surprised on how much the value has gone up since you bought it. The real estate property taxes are an estimate of what generally folks are paying in Harrison.

Do not forget that the $32,000,000 does not include relocation expenses for tenants, demolishion costs, removal costs, not to mention construction costs. Many of these homes have asbestos pipe covers and exterior tiles which is expensive to remove and dispose of.

The NJSCC has given very little thought to what they are doing. One poorly publized public hearing to present a plan which had no public input and they have already sent out letters to homeowners. The local politicans must be on the take since they have not voiced their opinion on defeating this crazy idea.

They should monitor the teachers instead of throwing money at the problem. Money does not teach. Teachers do.

Guest town resident
The question was where do I get my numbers.  The answer is they are public record.  A 2 family house of the type that is going to be knocked down by the state is selling for at $450,000 on the open market.  The other buildings will get significantly more money.  Check with your local realtor on the value of your house and you will be pleasantly surprised on how much the value has gone up since you bought it.  The real estate property taxes are an estimate of what generally folks are paying in Harrison.

Do not forget that the $32,000,000 does not include relocation expenses for tenants, demolishion costs, removal costs, not to mention construction costs.  Many of these homes have asbestos pipe covers and exterior tiles which is expensive to remove and dispose of. 

The NJSCC has given very little thought to what they are doing.  One poorly publized public hearing to present a plan which had no public input and they have already sent out letters to homeowners.  The local politicans must be on the take since they have not voiced their opinion on defeating this crazy idea.

They should monitor the teachers instead of throwing money at the problem.  Money does not teach.  Teachers do.

One thing you're not considering is the location of the Guyon complex. You wouldn't want to build a school complex far from the residential areas of town. It's too long a walk for most students.

One thing you're not considering is the location of the Guyon complex. You wouldn't want to build a school complex  far from the residential areas of town. It's too long a walk for most students.

The kids are all dropped off by car now anyway and the walk would do them good. The idea is no worst than a kid who lives on Bergen Street having to walk to the New High School on Hamilton and Kingsland avenue. Are they going to bus that kid or is he/she walking.

Guest Miss Crabtree'38
One thing you're not considering is the location of the Guyon complex. You wouldn't want to build a school complex  far from the residential areas of town. It's too long a walk for most students.

The site of the proposed new high school on the border of Kearny(Schyler Ave) is any closer to most kids????

Guest Town Resident
The site of the proposed new high school on the border of Kearny(Schyler Ave) is any closer to most kids????

Building a school on the Guyon complex would be a bad idea for many reasons. First of all, the ground may be contaminated after many years of industrial use. Testing and removal of contaminated soil would be cost prohibitive. Secondly. the site is located on a busy main road far removed from most residential areas of town. The Hamilton St. location is located IN a residential area, is larger than the Guyon complex so sports fields can be accommodated on site. Thirdly, tax revenues lost through demolition of the homes will be more than made up by the new housing units proposed with the redevelopmentl. Finally, I would much rather have my children wallking down Hamilton St. to get to school .

Guest Guest
Building a school on the Guyon complex would be a bad idea for many reasons. First of all, the ground may be contaminated after many years of industrial use. Testing and removal of contaminated soil would be cost prohibitive.  Secondly. the site is located on a busy main road far removed from most residential areas of town. The Hamilton St. location is located IN a residential area, is larger than the Guyon complex so sports fields can be accommodated on site. Thirdly, tax revenues lost through demolition of the homes will be more than made up by the new housing units proposed with the redevelopmentl. Finally, I would much rather have my children wallking down Hamilton St. to get to school .

Must have your hands in the cookie jar because of your comments. Does it really make sense to knock down homes to put a parking lot and a field? I wonder who the contractor's are that will be on these projects, if they take place?

Wake up taxpayers!!!!!!!!!!!! you are about to pay more taxes even if the money comes from the state, thats your money also, and your taxes willl go up from that waste of is it 32 million dollars. I read that in hudson county alone they are planning to spend 1 billion dollars on this STUPID idea. Codey is in on the ride with this nonsense. WAKE UP TAXPAYERS OF HARRISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Harrison Taxpayer
Must have your hands in the cookie jar because of your comments.    Does it really make sense to knock down homes to put a parking lot and a field?  I wonder who the contractor's are that will be on these projects, if they take place?

Wake up taxpayers!!!!!!!!!!!! you are about to pay more taxes even if the money comes from the state, thats your money also, and your taxes willl go up from that waste of is it 32 million dollars. I read that in hudson county alone they are planning to spend 1 billion dollars on this STUPID idea.  Codey is in on the ride with this nonsense.    WAKE UP TAXPAYERS OF HARRISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading the comments of "Town Resident" and the reply of "Guest", I would have to agree with "Town Resident". He (or she) makes a lot of sense about the concerns of the Guyon site; contamination, isolated area, busy road, etc.. "Guest" rants and raves but doesn't offer any concrete arguement other than to say it's a stupid idea and anyone who agrees with it must have their hands in the cookie jar. Sounds like "Guest" has been in the Kool Aid too long.

Guest Guest

I guess you didn't know that the site of the proposed new high school is contaminated as well. They found some tanks as well, and the workers that have been there, have been complaining about ailments and feeling sick. They actually had to leave early one day because of vomiting while working on that field. So what is the difference if they have to decontaminate the Guyon area. That is why they have the brownfields grants.

Guest Town Resident
I guess you didn't know that the site of the proposed new high school is contaminated as well.  They found some tanks as well, and the workers that have been there, have been complaining about ailments and feeling sick.  They actually had to leave early one day because of vomiting while working on that field.  So what is the difference if they have to decontaminate the Guyon area.  That is why they have the brownfields grants.

Sorry "Guest",

That sounds like something you just made up. Somebody felt sick and threw up?? Well that certainly sounds like a good reason not to build a high school !! You need to try a little harder. lol !!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

What happened to the property already bought across from the High School? Why the rush to build bigger schools now... Ahhh. Because of the SCC and Greed. That's about it... read the newspaper. Your Mayor and Council have sold you down the drain. Now kick them to the gutter....

Archived